Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42: See Mark Hamill in Action in Nifty New In-Game Video - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

am i the only one who thinks spending money on voice actors and the like a total waste of money?

Depends on the game. For me.. a Wing Commander junkie... it's right up my alley.

Thats said... sounds like Grumpy Luke from Last Jedi
    Hamil has never been a name that comes to my mind when I think of good actors. The original SW trilogy was pretty well it for him.

I just saw The Last Jedi last night and I thought he was the weak link in that as well.
    They trashed a lot of characters in that movie.  
    That entire movie was disappointing to me.  Luke Skywalker brushing his shoulder off.. #gtfo
    EponyxDamor

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I remember seeing his interviews on last SW Mark just goes all in "he's not my Luke Skywalker", he doesn't like what they did with his character neither the overall direction SW took.

Rian Johnson: Luke I AM your writer. Luke: NNNNOOOOOOO THATS IMPOSSIBLE.
    Octagon7711wingood
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2017
    Interesting fact: Mark Hamil was a better known actor at the time of Star Wars than Harrison Ford - so HF got $10k, MH got $650k + 0.025 of the film's profit! And he has remained very busy.

However for SQ42 the crucial thing - whatever ones views on his ability as an actor - is the publicity value plus potentially his industry experience. 

I do wonder whether he has a soft spot for "Wing Commander" - happy experiences maybe. He certainly doesn't "need" the  work!  
    Octagon7711MrMelGibsonEponyxDamorJeroKanePhloom
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

am i the only one who thinks spending money on voice actors and the like a total waste of money?

Depends on the game. For me.. a Wing Commander junkie... it's right up my alley.

Hamil has never been a name that comes to my mind when I think of good actors. The original SW trilogy was pretty well it for him.

I just saw The Last Jedi last night and I thought he was the weak link in that as well.
    Come on...  you think he was weaker than Space Leia and the whole slow motion chase scene that takes the entire movie and nobody can even think about jumping ahead of the front ship?  He's better on screen (even in Grumpy Luke form) than Driver, Ridley and Boyega combined.  Only one with on screen charisma is Isaac and he basically plays a crazy person in this movie.

Hell yeah he was. Well it was slim pickings all around. Isaac, Driver and Del Toro were pretty good and Ridley was not bad at all.

And I don't blame Space Leia for that scene any more than I blame Hamil for the shoulder dust off. That's on the goofy writing and directing.

Hamil just sucks donkey balls as an actor.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    I love Hamill's Joker, but don't care for any of his other performances.

Too bad playing Joker ruined his voice.  S4Q2 would have all been worth it if Hamill was cast as a psychotic space clown.
    gervaise1 said:
    I do wonder whether he has a soft spot for "Wing Commander" - happy experiences maybe. He certainly doesn't "need" the  work!  
    Yeah he and CR seem to go back a while, working on the Wing Commander games back in the day. When this spiritual successor of WC that is SQ42 happens I guess CR already wanted him in from the start.

One of those actors that do a lot of voice-acting for videogames
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I actually liked Hamill in Corvette Summer.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    An interesting thing about TLJ is that the director pretty much stuck to the original script with no rewrites I heard, whereas the previous two SW movies had a lot of rewrites and re-filming.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

That entire movie was disappointing to me.  Luke Skywalker brushing his shoulder off.. #gtfo
    It was strange.  They said he locked himself from the Force and in the last scene he's using all kinds of Force powers.  I agree with Mark.  The Jedi who fought so hard to save his father would never just give up on a student, especially when they showed that student as being constantly conflicted.  Plus how can one student take out an  entire academy and yet fail to beat someone who picked up a light saber for the first time.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    SEANMCAD said:
    It's not about efficient use of money, it's about Chris Roberts getting to hobnob around with real Hollywood talent.   Getting to pretend to be a director again.   And since he's paying them, they can't really tell him to sod off.  There's a reason he went for one of the most expensive motion capture firms back in the early days of his cashapooloza.    Getting to run around with Andy Serkis.   Which I must approve of on at least one level.

I do think that he and Hamill actually get on well together.   Chris is fanboyish enough to be on his best suckup behavior.

But trailers don't mean a thing, if the game isn't in independent hands to actually check out.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

It was strange.  They said he locked himself from the Force and in the last scene he's using all kinds of Force powers.  I agree with Mark.  The Jedi who fought so hard to save his father would never just give up on a student, especially when they showed that student as being constantly conflicted.  Plus how can one student take out an  entire academy and yet fail to beat someone who picked up a light saber for the first time.
    To be fair, some of the students joined him according to Luke.  So he didn't do it alone.  I'm betting those who joined him became the knights of Ren.
    Octagon7711
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I enjoyed 'The Last Jedi' and probably going to watch it again.
    Slapshot1188MrMelGibson

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

In the Last Jedi he has become an old man and just like Yoda, he has seen and experienced too much and become grumpy.
    Without giving any spoilers, I thought he was totally bad ass in the end! And seeing him with Carry Fisher was a very emotional moment (since she died last year :( ).

And Mark Hamil is a fantastic Voice actor! He has gotten great renown and respect for his role as The Joker in DC Universe games, like DCUO.
    ErillionMaxBaconMrMelGibson
  • HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Looking forward to it :)

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Xarko said:

The character looks more like old Luke Skywalker than actual Mark Hamill.

you DO realize mark hamil actually IS luke skywalker, eh?
    ScotchUpMrMelGibson

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Thane said:

Xarko said:

Reading carefully before replying can help you from future embarrassment.
    You should try it next time.
    I'm speaking from personal experience.
    ScotchUp

..Cake..

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited December 2017
    sgel said:
    Thane said:

Xarko said:

Reading carefully before replying can help you from future embarrassment.
    You should try it next time.
    I'm speaking from personal experience.

If you have seen Mark Hamil in real life appearances, then yeah....he really is just pretty much himself when playing Luke Skywalker. He really doesn't need to put much effort into that character, except when he has to use some Force powers. :P
    So playing Luke Skywalker is a pretty easy role for him.

Voicing the joker however... that's a lot more effort and he did an incredible job at that. He has whole fanbase just around this alone.

But I also think, especially when also looking at the Star Trek series, which has just like Star Wars such iconic character peformances, where actors visit these yearly conventions all over the world each year....even years after those films and series concluded. That these actors more or less become these characters in real life as well.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    How about a little less Mark Hamil and a little more PU cig ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Elsabolts said:
    How about a little less Mark Hamil and a little more PU cig ?
    How about watching the livestream in around 9 hours ?

Have fun
  • ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    LMAO ya'll are STILL waiting for this?
    goobsnews
    LMAO ya'll are STILL waiting for this?
    Yes. Because it is worth it.

And in the meantime i have literally hundreds of other games to play.

Have fun
    JeroKane
    Yeah the stream with the full thing is in a few hours, they seem they'll start making SQ42 events more often, the next one is already for the 25th January.
  • goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220

Shaigh said:

SEANMCAD said:

Well known voice actors can help promote a game and using mark hamill for promotion around the time a star wars movie is up on theatre is smart business.

Lol, using smart business in regards to CIG is hilarious.
    Stream has been rescheduled -  24 hours later.

Have fun
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    goobsnews said:

Shaigh said:

SEANMCAD said:

Well known voice actors can help promote a game and using mark hamill for promotion around the time a star wars movie is up on theatre is smart business.

Lol, using smart business in regards to CIG is hilarious.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.