Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pro Russian Player Retires After Opining That LoL Isn't Profitable for CiS Teams - League of Legend

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imagePro Russian Player Retires After Opining That LoL Isn't Profitable for CiS Teams - League of Legends - MMORPG.com

League of Legends News - A professional League of Legends player, Kirill "Likkrit" Malofeyev, has retired after being banned by Riot Games for suggesting that teams in CiS nations are not "profitable" for players. His comments were made during a recent live stream and included accusations of unpaid salaries and the inability for teams to go to court for enforcement due to contracts not being recognized as legal, according to Kotaku. Court costs would exceed missing salaries, according to Malofeyev.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    LoL
    SBFordJeffSpicoli3dom

Beta tester maniac

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited December 2017
    eSport "tough guy" photos crack me up.

It's total BS that gaming companies can get away with stuff like this, though. He was ultimately an advertisement. If he put in the time and did his job, then he should get paid...
    CrazKanukJeffSpicolibartoni33XingbairongWraithoneLucienRenerojoArcueidMrMelGibsonDagon13wingoodand 6 others.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm calling hacks. :D Even Russian e-sports are on the juice .
    Just...don't, OK? :|
    [Deleted User]Wraithone

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Riot Games banned a player for speaking out on his Team not paying him and his inability to legally do anything about it?

Can we all agree on the surface this is absolutely messed up or are the professional Devils Advocates coming to Riots defense on this one?

Maybe there are some facts that aren't being shared?
    SovrathXingbairongWraithoneMrMelGibsonThupliwingoodLayla_V
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Some time ago, while playing and following HOTS, I remember the same argument coming up: "Game is not profitable if you are Pro players, especially in the minor regions. More money to be made in DOTA2".

Maybe that's a phenomenon that affects all pro-gamers, simply because there is not enough money around. After all, for a good chunk of the players following these games, the fact that they are free plays a big role.
    It would be like expecting Football players (whichever type of football you are into) to have contracts in the millions like they do, if more than half of their audience were Minors or Students without a wealthy income.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    As with anything in life, you are treated and paid according to how replaceable you are. Seems to me, there are plenty of people who will just line up behind this guy to play for Riot, and are probably as good.
    anemo
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Boy they sure look intimidating in that photo, wouldn't want to run into that gang in a dark alley
    Viper482bartoni33[Deleted User]WraithoneMrMelGibson
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    As with anything in life, you are treated and paid according to how replaceable you are. Seems to me, there are plenty of people who will just line up behind this guy to play for Riot, and are probably as good.
    What do you mean? This is literally unpaid salaries and dues and because of the contracts they are unable to bring them to court. That sounds like an awful deal. Just because you are replaceable doesn't mean that you can not pay people like you are supposed to. 
    XingbairongWraithoneMirandelAyinLayla_V
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    bartoni33SovrathMrMelGibsonlaxiewingoodanemoAyin
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    I think the bigger issue is that picture.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibsonJeffSpicoliAyin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    lol@ geek tough guy poses
    JeffSpicoliMrMelGibsonAyin
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited December 2017

Viper482 said:

What would you expect? Photos of them in their underwear on the couch with a greasy Pizza Roll stuck to the side of their face like normal gamers?

EDIT: Honestly though I have to hand it to them. To find the time to game "professionally" between hacking into DNC servers and influencing the US election. Those Russians sure know how to multitask.

XingbairongSovrathWraithoneLucienReneJeffSpicoliMrMelGibson3domThuplianemoMirandel

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    bartoni33 said:

Viper482 said:

What would you expect? Photos of them in their underwear on the couch with a greasy Pizza Roll stuck to the side of their face like normal gamers?
    Smiling like normal people.  They're playing video games, not performing jujutsu on opponents.  
    bartoni33XingbairongJeffSpicoliMrMelGibsonJunglecharly

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited December 2017
    Anybody should read a contract before engaging in an e-sport team. Because you could fall under a modern slavery trap.
    XingbairongWraithoneGdemami
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Seems like a self fullfilling prophecy or some such. He talks about having no legal recourse and immediately gets banned. So Riot kinda proved that they can (and are willing to) do whatever they want with the teams. Just as he said.
    bartoni33Layla_VGdemami

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    thunderC said:
    Warrrrioooorrs! Come out and plaaaay (and not get paiiiiid)!
    SovrathJeffSpicolirojoArcueidMrMelGibson

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I think the lady on the left is from Twilight

what is a CIS country?
    Panther2103JeffSpicoliPhry
    Myrdynn said:

what is a CIS country?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Independent_States
    Wraithone
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Myrdynn said:

what is a CIS country?
    1) It's a guy. TRY to be respectful?
    2) 10 second internet search: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Independent_States

WraithoneMrMelGibsonpetersnowztruewarlordCryolitycal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited December 2017
    I don't understand why esport team display the members like they are pro-wrestlers. It always look awlful.

can't they just display the team more realisticaly?
    SBFordJeffSpicoli
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166
    Kabulozo said:
    I don't understand why esport team display the members like they are pro-wrestlers. It always look awlful.

can't they just display the team more realisticaly?
    The younger gamer crowd looks at them that way lol.
    JeffSpicoli
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    The thing is this though. Who is responsible for the salaries.. Riot Games or his team? If its Riot games, then he hasd a point. If not... he saw it coming.. should have taken it up with the team instead of Riot as they cant force the team to pay him.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    To get back on topic, there should be a way for them to legally request to be paid when participating in those kinds of sports. In the contract they should make it clear how the prize is split between the team members. If they did that then this would not happen.

I know currently there is not a thing in there contracts but in the future there should be. It is clear that when you are part of a team in e-sport you put a lot of time into it at the expanse of your personal life just like when you are going to work at a regular job, so there should be a legal way for you to get paid for the work you do.

It is a shame also that when someone points out something like this that he has to be punish for it. I am sure he tried to speak with someone at Riot and also with lawyers and got told he had to deal with it and that is why he made this public to make people aware of this and try to change things up for future players. I hope it works out for him and future players.
    Ayin
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Riot games is not about freedom of speech. Think about that when you dish out your money to them.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Was this even a little bit suprising. Riot Games is trying to milk every last penny out of this game, and anything said against it is perma ban territory. Frankly I thinks its cause Riot doesnt have the talent to make a PUBG ripoff , like they did with LoL