Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Wins Prestigious "Worst MMO Business Model Of 2017" Award

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited December 2017 in Star Citizen
As voted by the majority of MassivelyOP's staff as well as their readers in a separate poll

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/15/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-worst-business-model/

Stick that in the Guinness Book Of Records...

bwwianakievTheScavengerEponyxDamorCoticMaxBaconbartoni33RhimeMrMelGibson

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Funny that by its own definition since the start of the project Star Citizen is NOT an MMO. Making that MMORPG vote somewhat futile. 

Have fun
    bwwianakievrpmcmurphysgelTheScavengerEponyxDamorCoticRIG4REDXarkokikoodutroa8some-clueless-guyand 8 others.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    Funny that by its own definition since the start of the project Star Citizen is NOT an MMO. Making that MMORPG vote somewhat futile. 

Have fun

Clearly it now intends to be an MMO. Why else would they aiming for mesh servers with hundreds, if not thousands in the same 'instance' with an economy that is player affected and so on.

Just because the original intention was not for a full blown MMO does not mean the same is true today, as you well know.
    sgelTiamat64WalkinGlennAstraeistime007SiugHatefullScotchUp
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    People vote about it having the worse business model and the only thing you can do is point out it's not an MMORPG (even though it is, despite how you keep twisting definitions as needed to suit your agendas).  Star Citizen fanboys sure love derailing and deflecting things.
    F2PlagueWalkinGlennJeffSpicoliFrodoFraginsLimnicMrMelGibsonSiugNephethHatefullbeebop500and 1 other.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    What a terrible attempt at mental gymnastics :)
    EponyxDamorF2PlagueJunglecharlyJeffSpicoliMightyUncleanMrMelGibsonThebeastttSiugNephethHatefulland 1 other.

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    What a terrible attempt at clickbait by Massively.

@rpmcmurphy >>> Clearly it now intends to be an MMO. >>

No it does not. And has never claimed to be an MMO. A personal interpretation of yours.

>>>>Just because the original intention was not for a full blown MMO does not mean the same is true today, as you well know. >>>

It has never changed since Kickstarter. If it has, please point out the relevant links to official statements.  I think i have a somewhat good understanding of official announcements and cannot remember when Star Citizen has officially been named an MMO.

As i know you (and I) also have an interest in Elite:Dangerous ... i would also not call E:D an MMO. There is nothing massively about E:D.  By its very design principle of peer-to-peer that limits the instance size. SC has the potential to one day become a massively multiplayer game, more so than E:D unless E:D has a monumental change in its underlying structure. But at the moment SC is not there yet.

>>>> People vote about  >>>

... the choices that are given to them. And if you are offering them a game that is BOTH not an MMO and also a crowdfunding project that relies on voluntary pledges .... then add some BOOs and HISSes by the staff for clickbait value ... without explaining the underlying principles and differences of a crowdfunding project in contrast to normal MMO business models ....

THEN you get a vote that i personally consider biased and futile.

Have fun
    alivenrpmcmurphysgelWalkinGlennJeffSpicoliTheScavengerDarkpigeonMrMelGibsonSiugNephethand 4 others.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    MOP has done these lists at end of the year for bunch of years and they also covered star citizen for years. In fact during 2015 and 2016 star citizen won most anticipated MMO on that site.

I would take your argument regarding clickbait seriously if you complained about star citizen getting a reward in 2015 and 2016 but I'm pretty sure you didn't.

EponyxDamorrpmcmurphyMightyUncleanNephethHatefullScotchUp
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    An odd poll result as that "worst" Business model has generated $173M to date of money willingly given by its suppoerters.

It's almost a religion at this point...but I'd have to call out SOtA, COE or ArcheAge as far more deserving.

I think the hate (or envy at least) drives much of this..

SpottyGekkobartoni33HorusraMaxBaconDarkpigeonKonfessAzaron_NightbladeMrMelGibsonTsiyaCrazKanukand 1 other.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Talking to fanboybunny is waste of time. 
    Thebeasttt
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    An odd poll result as that "worst" Business model has generated $173M to date of money willingly given by its suppoerters.

It's almost a religion at this point...but I'd have to call out SOtA, COE or ArcheAge as far more deserving.

Mostly it's "SC + controversy = page views" !

SOtA or CoE wouldn't get a fraction of the response that SC generates... ;)

MaxBaconKyleranMrMelGibson
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Archeage should be a strong #2.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited December 2017
    Shaigh said:
    MOP has done these lists at end of the year for bunch of years and they also covered star citizen for years. In fact during 2015 and 2016 star citizen won most anticipated MMO on that site.

I would take your argument regarding clickbait seriously if you complained about star citizen getting a reward in 2015 and 2016 but I'm pretty sure you didn't.

Just to clarify
    2014 - Staff voted SC Most Likely To Flop
    2016 - Staff voted SC Most Likely To Flop (tied with Wildstar)

I do remember them winning an "award" for best studio but that involved Disco Lando using their SC twitter account to brigade the votes.
    MaxBaconWalkinGlenn
    Hey guys, it's only not an mmo when it wins a negative award.
    Kyleran said:

I don't understand.. how can it be envy?
    These aren't competing space developers, they're gamers or journalists or whatever.
    Anyone can be part of the community or buy the game.

I also don't understand your first point... you even quotify the "worst" so you obviously realize that it's not a measure of success but a measure of "dirty corporate tactics taking advantage of consumers"... but then you go on to mention how successful their cash-gathering practices are.
    Noone is denying that. Just like loot boxes are obviously a successful practice which is why so many games use them.

I do agree with your almost religion point though.
    MaxBaconSiphaedSiug

..Cake..

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:

Depending on how the Lawsuit goes, CiG might end up going bankrupt or worse before Star Citizen ever gets released.  I'd say (by the criteria you implied with the mentioning of the $173M) that's a significantly worse business model than SotA or Archeage (COE is still up in the air, though), the latter of which at least made profits for their companies and even SotA at least managed to make it into existence at which point Garriot is no longer obligated to allocate all its revenue back into the game.

(honestly going by average cost of employment over time and how long it took to get to the current status of the game, CiG probably would have gone bankrupt even without the lawsuit but I guess now we might never know)

173 million revenue generated by supporters means nothing for a business if by the end of it all your business has is ZERO (and before it ever finished its one product!  Well, two products including SQ42.  That's important to mention because it's a fact that's part of the lawsuit!)

(of course, odds are pretty good Chris pocketted a huge chunk of that money, so it was good business for him on a personal level, even if not on a company level, but hey, things are still up in the air.  They don't always get off scot-free)
    MaxBaconArglebargle
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

No it does not. And has never claimed to be an MMO. A personal interpretation of yours.

>>>>Just because the original intention was not for a full blown MMO does not mean the same is true today, as you well know. >>>

It has never changed since Kickstarter. If it has, please point out the relevant links to official statements.  I think i have a somewhat good understanding of official announcements and cannot remember when Star Citizen has officially been named an MMO.

As i know you (and I) also have an interest in Elite:Dangerous ... i would also not call E:D an MMO. There is nothing massively about E:D.  By its very design principle of peer-to-peer that limits the instance size. SC has the potential to one day become a massively multiplayer game, more so than E:D unless E:D has a monumental change in its underlying structure. But at the moment SC is not there yet.

>>>> People vote about  >>>

... the choices that are given to them. And if you are offering them a game that is BOTH not an MMO and also a crowdfunding project that relies on voluntary pledges .... then add some BOOs and HISSes by the staff for clickbait value ... without explaining the underlying principles and differences of a crowdfunding project in contrast to normal MMO business models ....

THEN you get a vote that i personally consider biased and futile.

Have fun

There you go. If people argue that less then 50 people in the same area is a MMO then CR stating they want potentially thousands in the same instance would definitely qualify this as an MMO. Now you can do all the mental gymnastics you'd like but you can't take back Christ Roberts saying that they want to have thousands in the same instance.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Kyleran said:

Its almost like... They do that voting based on consumer unfriendly... Crazy i know. 
    edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

"It's not an mmo": 8k+ posts later in a forum of a site dedicated to mmos talking about an article in a site dedicated to mmos :D

kikoodutroa8MightyUnclean

..Cake..

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    It has to be a game first to qualifiy as an MMO, so it cant be an MMO. Gotcha haters!
    kikoodutroa8bartoni33MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • PlonkyPlonky Member UncommonPosts: 7
    As voted by the majority of MassivelyOP's staff as well as their readers in a separate poll

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/15/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-worst-business-model/

ROFL !!! 134 votes !!! :p who they are to judge if it is best or worse ! lol !
    FrodoFraginsSiug
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Plonky said:

pssst!! Its the number above that one. The one beside Star Citizen and not SWTOR.
    sgelJunglecharlyFrodoFragins
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Erillion said:

A personal interpretation of yours. 

Why do you say it is a personal interpretation? I think rpmcmurphy is right and most people would say hundreds of people in an instance would fall into the MMO category. Why does it not for you?

It has changed since the kickstarter. CIG originally wanted 100 people per instance but now they want a meshed server setup with 10x, if not 100x more players per instance. That is a pretty big change and would certainly qualify it as a MMO in the eyes of most people.

Elite has nothing to do with whether Star Citizen's mesh server goals make it an MMO, why even bring it into the discussion? You appear to be saying that because Star Citizen is not an MMO right at this precise moment that it cannot qualify for this award despite the fact that they are planning to make it an MMO by the time it is available to a wider audience.

Lots of MMOs do testing in a limited area, does that mean they cannot be MMOs as well?
  • RIG4REDRIG4RED Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Cool your jets turbo.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kefo said:
    Plonky said:

pssst!! Its the number above that one. The one beside Star Citizen and not SWTOR.
    Indeed, approximately 600 people voted for SC !

I guess the 600K who voted the other way (with their wallets) must be wrong... ;)
    ErillionMaxBaconKyleran
    sgel said:
    "It's not an mmo": 8k+ posts later in a forum of a site dedicated to mmos talking about an article in a site dedicated to mmos :D

This website has gone beyond MMOs about a decade ago.

Welcome to NOW.

Have fun
    RIG4RED said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Cool your jets turbo.
    Not my style ;-)

Have fun
    Cotic said:
    Erillion said:

A personal interpretation of yours. 

Why do you say it is a personal interpretation? I think rpmcmurphy is right and most people would say hundreds of people in an instance would fall into the MMO category. Why does it not for you?

It has changed since the kickstarter. CIG originally wanted 100 people per instance but now they want a meshed server setup with 10x, if not 100x more players per instance. That is a pretty big change and would certainly qualify it as a MMO in the eyes of most people.

Elite has nothing to do with whether Star Citizen's mesh server goals make it an MMO, why even bring it into the discussion? You appear to be saying that because Star Citizen is not an MMO right at this precise moment that it cannot qualify for this award despite the fact that they are planning to make it an MMO by the time it is available to a wider audience.

Lots of MMOs do testing in a limited area, does that mean they cannot be MMOs as well?
    >>>> hundreds of people in an instance would fall into the MMO category. >>>

>>>  Why does it not for you? >>>>

Hundreds of people in an instance would fall into the MMO category. I totally agree.

Star Citizen is not there yet. That is a quantifiable verifiable fact.

It is an instanced multiplayer and always was. Far from Massively. Therefore not an MMO. It is even written in the FAQ.

Please understand ... i would LOVE to see SC being a true MMO. With fully scaleable instances with hundreds, even thousands of people.

But at the moment .. it is not an MMO.

Yes, i am saying because Star Citizen is not an MMO at the moment it should not be in an MMO voting category. If it is an MMO by the time it launches - which would be a thing i like - they can call it an MMO as much as they want and have votes over it.

Have fun
    rpmcmurphy