Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a new game

reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247
Can you folks help me figure out what to play next?  I keep going back to Lotro, but the awful grind and worst customer service ever keeps driving me away. 

I don't like ARPGs.  Any game that has only 8-10 skills on my skill bar is pretty much out.  Also, a robust crafting system is very important.  (I played BDO and the crafting system was great but I got bogged down with it so I stopped leveling)

Thanks much

Comments

• VedixszVedixsz Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited December 2017
    I made a similar post (although much more extensive) and from my understanding you are not going to get much here at mmorpg. Thing is there are really not to many options (actually very few ESPECIALLY if you want a populated one) in the mmorpg genre. And if most of these games dont fit you people are going to tell you to take a break or even to stop playing mmorpgs all together xD 
    Which is just silly, its not about that its about you not finding any mmorpg good enough to keep you around, its that simple.

If you want a mmorpg with deep crafting systems and life skilling you really only have BDO and you say you already played it so thats a lost cause.

My solution is to just try a few different mmorpgs and try to find one that has the least annoyances or one that has a feature that i really really like. This is only a temporary solution though because my thinking is this, "play something, something that doesnt make you want to run into a wall and split your head open. Until something comes that really catches your eye". 
    Hoping Bless, A:IR, Cronicles of Elyria, Lost Ark and a few others will be the game for me although the more i see from many of these the less excited i am. We shall se though, one of them might surprise me.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Consider Dwarf Fortress?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• jpowell26mjpowell26m Member UncommonPosts: 13
    horizons has a excellent crafting system as does ryzom
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Project Gorgon......
    https://projectgorgon.com/

and heres a link that includes trade skills etc .. Which are very deep ...

http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Main_Page

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    reillan said:
    Can you folks help me figure out what to play next?  I keep going back to Lotro, but the awful grind and worst customer service ever keeps driving me away. 

I don't like ARPGs.  Any game that has only 8-10 skills on my skill bar is pretty much out.  Also, a robust crafting system is very important.  (I played BDO and the crafting system was great but I got bogged down with it so I stopped leveling)

Thanks much
    I like GW2 and find other players helpful.  There's lot's to do with fighting world bosses or doing dynamic events.  There's also the personal story for each class to play through and a lot of different places to level once you get use to the game you can port to other starting ares to level for a change of pace.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2017
    EQ2 could be an option, as mentioned above, but so could FFXIV. Depends whether or not you like the FF style.

The crafting is very similar in both games where you perform crafting hotbar skills whilst crafting to obtain better results.

In FFXIV you can learn all the crafting professions on one character. There's also crafting gear with stats to obtain or make. As in, gear that you wear while you are crafting. Same with gathering gear that you wear whilst collecting materials. It's easy to set up a button to switch between professions and the gear with 1 click so don't think it's busy work changing equipment all the time.

FFXIV has an extremely healthy population and is as modern looking as MMOs come these days. Probably the second best graphically behind BDO (some might think ESO is better looking too).

There's a trial for it.

Brunlin
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    reillan said:

Thanks much
    i had the same issue with BDO.  its easy to get bogged down in that game. it becomes a chore to do the dailies, and making sure you effectively do all the side stuff everyday.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    They've all already been said, but I'd second EQ2, FFXIV, and Project Gorgon. EQ2 has enough skills that every time they do a reset I give up on picking options and setting everything up and reroll or just quit all over again. I haven't played any of them in a while and didn't get too deep in PG, but they all should scratch the itch. At least for a while. Depends on what wrapper you want on your candy.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I like GW2 and find other players helpful.  There's lot's to do with fighting world bosses or doing dynamic events.  There's also the personal story for each class to play through and a lot of different places to level once you get use to the game you can port to other starting ares to level for a change of pace.
    Too few skills for OPs taste unless he play an elementalist.

Pantheon seems to be on the right track but it will be a while before it actually releases.
    Octagon7711
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I'm my 2nd week back into SWTOR. I really like it with the PVP and all. The last expansion which is new content for me is cool.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    reillan said:

Thanks much
    MMO wise you are pretty much out of luck. 

If you want more than 10 skills (I'm the same way) then you have to go back in time. FFXIV was the last game released with a decent amount of skills and the crafting there is better than most, so that would probably be my recommendation. 

Beyond that you have to go further back to games like WoW, EQ2, RIFT etc. Only problem is due to their age, they've mostly been dumbed down loads. Also, crafting in a lot of those standard tab-targetting themeparks is lacklustre and loot drops make most of the professions pointless. 

Other than that, you might consider waiting a bit and then pledging so you can join the beta tests or some of the upcoming crowd-funded MMOs. There are a lot in development that have what you are after, they are just a long way from release. 
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The current trend seems to be cutting as many corners as possible.  The only MMOs that have full skill bars that I can find on my list of MMOs are SWTOR, Aion, LotRO, Rift, STO, NWO, and L2.  Wasn't into crafting much in those games except for L2 which has a deep system, I think they were bot infested last time I played.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey