Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are the Stronghold games (especially Stronghold 1 HD and Stronghold Crusader HD)?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited December 2017 in General Gaming
In particular...does the AI suck like crap like it does in age of empires 3? AOE 3 is a ton of fun, but wow is the AI bad lol. It ruined the game for me and my friend. It works great at first...but the AI in AOE 3 stops building units and attacking you if you beat them in a major battle (as in their main army). Even if they have access to a bunch of resources, they just won't attack or maybe they dont use the resources. They'll stand in place and not do anything, while peasants still do stuff the army gets broken.

Does that happen in the earlier Stronghold games at all? Or does it always attack you even if you beat them in a battle, at least until they legit run out of resources? (which isn't the case in AOE 3 where they have resources but either dont do anything with them or the AI just breaks after beating their main army lol. That happens even on hardest difficulty btw)

Don't want to buy them if that is case since money is low and my family is planning on moving, but the stronghold games go super cheap in steam sales. The games look amazing and a ton of fun as a castle simulator...tons of custom maps too...but dunno anything about how the AI is

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    They are older games so yes the AI sucks.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Cleffy said:
    They are older games so yes the AI sucks.
    Ah. Well, I do know they are older so don't expect the greatest AI. Just wouldnt want to play a game where AI literally breaks and stands still doing nothing like it does in AOE 2 lol.  And actually, I said AOE3...but big whoops...I meant age of empires 2 HD that is on steam, not third AOE. In AOE2 the AI completely breaks if it loses.

I don't mind bad AI, but not AI that gets completely broken if they happen to lose a major battle. I've played older games and AI works well enough and never breaks even after being beaten, that is why I was curious if its more like that in Stronghold or if it actually breaks like in AOE2. Like warlords battlecry 2/3, the AI really sucks (it is a very old game) but it always is building troops and attacking you. Even if it loses a battle, it still tries to put up a fight. And that game is really old (probably even older than stronghold, at least WB2 is)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Not sure since I haven't played it in a while. I think they attack with a set number of units and if they fail, you win.
    TheScavenger
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Cleffy said:
    Not sure since I haven't played it in a while. I think they attack with a set number of units and if they fail, you win.
    ah okay, cool. Thanks for the info :) That sounds about right from what I've seen, is AI has a set number of troops and gotta defend against them. That works better than it does in AOE2 if that is the case.