So, I caught the midnight screening of the new star wars movie last night in the UK. It was quite nice as they put on a double-bill, so watched Force Awakens then Last Jedi at midnight. Was a fun experience and I always love opening nights for SW movies, so many people get dressed up so it's a really great atmosphere.
But, the film.....
I'm a big SW fan. I've liked every movie they've released, even episode 1. Sure, Jar-Jar is irritating and Hayden couldn't act, but I could overlook small things like that because the overall movies were still fun. Not the new one.
My main issues:
- The force is now ridiculous. Yoda can create thunderstorms on Luke's planet in order to burn down a tree. Luke can project his mind across the galaxy and have a lightsaber fight with Kylo Ren in his incorporeal form. Leia can survive in space and fly. Rey becomes a jedi in about 5 days. Snoke is crazy powerful and links Rey's and Ren's minds, but can't notice his apprentice about to kill him.
- Finn is redundant. He achieves absolutely nothing the whole film - all his missions fail and the rebels are no better off for anything he's done.
- Lots of pointless additions - the fat birds on Luke's island, the caretakers, the casino, Benico del Toro
- Finn's mission is fucked on time scales - he's supposedly away from the rebel fleet for 18 hours, but in that time he manages to fly through hyperspace to a new planet, trek through a city to a casino, search it, get arrested, get put in prison, breakout, race those stupid llamas, escape the patrols and then fly back....
- I got the feeling throughout the film that they were consciously trying to avoid copying old films, and they almost succeeded.....but then they decided to copy Hoth right at the end.....
- Talking of which, the speeders used in the Hoth copy achieve nothing. They don't kill any walkers, don't destroy the cannon....they just die. Also, there were a few hundred soldiers defending the base, only about 30 survive, but you don't see the rest die...
- The whole film is basically about the rebels being chased by the new order fleet, which whilst it is massive, super powerful, has crazy big weapons, is apparently just marginally slower than everything in the rebel fleet, preventing them from shooting the rebels. From small to big cruisers, even the titanic dreadnaught.....all just marginally slower..... /facepalm
- Snoke and his kinky bondage troupe
I just don't know how they got so many things wrong in a single movie. There were parts I enjoyed and I'm a fan of bright and colourful sci-fi, but it was really painful to watch at times.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially those who enjoyed the movie.