Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which pen and paper roleplaying game would you like to see as a MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,208
    Not necessarily as an MMO, I'd still LOVE to see a Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Besides that, more Shadowrun's always good!
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 985
    GAMMA WORLD!  I loved that game.  Or Dungeons and Dragons redone.  Or how about D&D vs Gamma World?

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,969

Traveller

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scot said:
    Amber, Vampire and Werewolf have all worked as MUD's. They don't fit the golden rules I mentioned (maybe Amber does best) but many iterations were successful as MUD's to my knowledge. Of course they break my golden rules, but that's based on what has worked well so far, not on what might capture gamers imaginations.

Should add that MUD's gave us far larger expectation of the variety that MMORPG's could go on to achieve. So as a guide to what MMOs can do they are somewhat flawed.
    While I never played an Amber mud I am not convinced that it really captured the IP right but I can certainly be wrong.

Yes, it is probably possible to make a good MMORPG of even Amber but it would be very hard, as would Vampire and I can't think of a single company that could pull Amber off. CCP certainly was on the way with Vampire even if it is possible that the reason they canned it was that they thought they couldn't get it to work.

Werewolf as I said above would probably be a far safer bet even if it still would be far from easy.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,275
    I see a lot of votes here for World of Darkness, but I'm not sure people are thinking clearly about how well this game would translate to an MMO... it wouldn't.

World of Darkness is a Role Playing Game, not a Roll Playing Game.  D&D and others are more about getting that perfect 20 and slaying the monster, but WoD is far far more about stabbing that Ventrue bloodsucker in the back for some slight on your honor from 150 years ago.  Not a whole lot of game mechanics replicate this very well.

I mean, if you want a game where you can play Vampires and Werewolves, then maybe they should make an Underworld MMO since all they do there is fight.  However, if you want to do WoD justice, then it needs to be 75% political maneuvering and 25% fighting which doesn't typically make for captivating games.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,070
    Po_gg said:
    Scot said:
    Amber, Vampire and Werewolf have all worked as MUD's. They don't fit the golden rules I mentioned (maybe Amber does best) but many iterations were successful as MUD's to my knowledge.
    Earlier there was a thread about MUDs where I detailed how much "free-er" they were due to the text-based nature (easier and cheaper world building, tons of options for roleplay), so if something worked as a MUD that doesn't mean it could work as an MMORPG.

Not to mention, Amber wasn't a MUD, it was a MUSH. :wink:

(for those not familiar, it's like a heavy roleplay server version of MUDs, without the stat and number focused, scriptable gameplay. Sure, you could roleplay in MUDs too, alongside the "generic" players, but MUSHes were like distilled versions of MUDs, for hardcore roleplay in the focus. The core "engine" was similar, written in the same language, but changed a lot of things in favor of roleplaying.
    Hell, I was in love with roleplay, was familiar with C and LPC, built modules for our local MUD - and when I first met a MUSH I fled in days :smiley:  )

It has been a while, I played one Amber MUD/MUSH, not sure which it was. :D
    I think in some ways roleplaying in MUD's was easier because people's imaginations were not limited by the graphics and there were less other things to do like quests. You logged on to roleplay.

Po_gg

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,752
    Scot said:
    I think in some ways roleplaying in MUD's was easier because people's imaginations were not limited by the graphics and there were less other things to do like quests.
    Yep, imagination is the best rendering engine :smiley:  there was no need for textures, models, effects and tons of processing power... just your words, some programming skills, a server (even in the mid-'90s ours was running on a leftover 386) and you had your own world to wander within.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,642
    D&D
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,067
    I dont think teh D&D that was made impressed the D&D crowd...It had some success but I dont think it was with the pen and paper role players.
    H0urg1ass said:
    I see a lot of votes here for World of Darkness, but I'm not sure people are thinking clearly about how well this game would translate to an MMO... it wouldn't.

World of Darkness is a Role Playing Game, not a Roll Playing Game.  D&D and others are more about getting that perfect 20 and slaying the monster, but WoD is far far more about stabbing that Ventrue bloodsucker in the back for some slight on your honor from 150 years ago.  Not a whole lot of game mechanics replicate this very well.

I mean, if you want a game where you can play Vampires and Werewolves, then maybe they should make an Underworld MMO since all they do there is fight.  However, if you want to do WoD justice, then it needs to be 75% political maneuvering and 25% fighting which doesn't typically make for captivating games.
    D&Ds roots is the miniture game "Chainmail" and you can certainly see it but already the first ed AD&D had rules for building your own castles and were already in the 70s used for intrugue gaming as well.

I agree that classic dungeon hack 'n slash is easier to make into a MMORPG then anything else. A Vampire MMORPG would probably be more like a massive version of Vampire: Bloodlines then anything else, CCP probably tried a little too hard and couldn't get it to work just right. But a massive version of Bloodlines could still be fun.

If you want something truly combat oriented in WoD you can as I said earlier only do a Werewolf or Hunter game.
    I dont think teh D&D that was made impressed the D&D crowd...It had some success but I dont think it was with the pen and paper role players.
    Biowares Neverwinter nights were popular though and it was not that far away from a real MMO (64 players max). But it felt far closer to the source material then DDO or Neverwinter.

I don't think making a good D&D or Pathfinder MMO should really be hard, Turbines problem was that it was pretty low budget and really a CORPG, not a MMO. Cryptic made their game way too fast, based it on the not so popular 4th edition and they were really far from the actual game.

Use a good world (Forgotten realms, Dragonlance or the Pathfinder world would be fine), stick as close as you get to the original rules and lore and I don't see how you could fail if you have a talented team and an acceptable budget.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,883
    I really enjoyed Warhammer Quest still have all the pieces painted by myself .. Was such an immersive game for me with great flow ..
    Scorchien said:
    I really enjoyed Warhammer Quest still have all the pieces painted by myself .. Was such an immersive game for me with great flow ..
    Yeah, Warhammer quest and Advanced Heroquest were fun. :) I don't think they would work for a full MMO though but maybe for a regular multiplayer game?