Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC makes PC Gamers worst micro transactions list

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited December 2017
    Herase said:
    Viper482 said:
    I cannot fathom why anyone would defend what has transpired with SC. Man no wonder politics all over the world is so corrupt, when the population is this naïve it is like blood in the water for the sharks. 
    Depends how you see it. At the end of the day, imho, it's a crowdfunded game. in it's simplest form is, you're putting money into someones dream. A dream can come true or not, but it's your choice from the very start weather or not you want to be part of.

I can't compare it to EA and Activitsion tbh, when you have one that patents an idea to place players in a situation that they get battered by a paying player and hoodwinked into thinking they need those items to win and another that throttles your game-play behind the scenes in hopes of you purchasing more items. 

What exactly has transpired? Delays? Not the greatest management? If that's it, then I wouldn't say things have transpired to the point it needs to be compared to politics. I've seen a lot of assumption of things transpiring, but nothing has happened.

This is why I haven't gotten involved in SC threads cause it just feels like hot air being blown about from both sides. The projects trucking along, you can either get involved or not, it's your choice ate the end of the day and, to me, that's the big difference.   
    There are those that rush to defend the project when anything bad is said about it (in order to "protect their investment" I guess), perhaps even trying to intentionally pull the wool over some people's eyes, and there are those that just want to know the truth. 

These are not two "sides" as if engaged in an ideological war.  There is no equal footing between someone asking for accountability and someone trying to make things appear other than the way they really are. 
    Post edited by Phaserlight on
    MaxBaconTalonsin

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Phrasing your mutation and cherry-picking as a question doesn't make it any better despite the obvious attempt to conceal it as such.

I was originally responding to the topic (or rather, someone who didn't specifically say he was addressing the topic but didn't specify so it could logically be assumed he was), not you, before you came along and tried to mutate my reply into an entirely different context.

The topic, as pointed out repeatedly in this thread, was the 5 most dubious microtransactions, and as also repeatedly pointed out, it was only Star Citizen's land transactions that made the list.  A "microtransaction" to buy a plot of land for a game that doesn't even exist yet is a lot more dubious than anything EA or Bungie will ever sold, and in this case, it's made clear because the microtransactions that were called into question (be it loot boxes or season passes that always come to pass unlike crowd funded games).

But of course now you're mutating and twisting the context of my replies to apply to crowdfunding as a whole to deflect how dubious Star Citizen's land cash grab is.  How typical.
    You got me hungry now, I'm going buying some cherries for myself.

If you defend that as your opinion so be it, for me it's ridiculous and clouded judgment by bias, if your argument was the point the list was made on on the list then other crowdfunded projects would be there, but nope. So have fun with that, I'll go get me cherries.

Yea, keep telling me to explain the lack of other crowdfunded projects into the list when it wasn't even my list.  I'm done arguing with someone who isn't even arguing with me so much as arguing with this imaginary person of his own design that he created to purposefully further his own personal agenda instead of the topic at hand that he then tries to pass off as me.
    WalkinGlenn
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    mAX TAKES AIM

TheScavengerErillion
    f
    AKE

n
    EWS

DESTROYED!
    TheScavenger
    Herase said:
    Viper482 said:
    I cannot fathom why anyone would defend what has transpired with SC. Man no wonder politics all over the world is so corrupt, when the population is this naïve it is like blood in the water for the sharks. 
    Depends how you see it. At the end of the day, imho, it's a crowdfunded game. in it's simplest form is, you're putting money into someones dream. A dream can come true or not, but it's your choice from the very start weather or not you want to be part of.

I can't compare it to EA and Activitsion tbh, when you have one that patents an idea to place players in a situation that they get battered by a paying player and hoodwinked into thinking they need those items to win and another that throttles your game-play behind the scenes in hopes of you purchasing more items. 

What exactly has transpired? Delays? Not the greatest management? If that's it, then I wouldn't say things have transpired to the point it needs to be compared to politics. I've seen a lot of assumption of things transpiring, but nothing has happened.

This is why I haven't gotten involved in SC threads cause it just feels like hot air being blown about from both sides. The projects trucking along, you can either get involved or not, it's your choice ate the end of the day and, to me, that's the big difference.   
    There are those that rush to defend the project when anything bad is said about it (in order to "protect their investment" I guess), perhaps even trying to intentionally pull the wool over some people's eyes, and their are those that just want to know the truth. 

These are not two "sides" as if engaged in an ideological war.  There is no equal footing between someone asking for accountability and someone trying to make things appear other than the way they really are. 
    So it is true? Derelict Smurf and Goof Squad all just want to know the truth!

I feel so relieved. 
    TheScavengerErillionKyleran
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    There are those that rush to defend the project when anything bad is said about it (in order to "protect their investment" I guess), perhaps even trying to intentionally pull the wool over some people's eyes, and their are those that just want to know the truth. 

I feel so relieved. 
    I don't recall any of those people being present and posting in this thread.  Nice attempt to deflect things onto imaginary strawmen who aren't here though I suppose.  You even included incredibly witty mispellings of their names! Bravo.

(for those with wool over their eyes, it is true that Derek and Goon Squad do exist outside of this thread.  However, they are a separate viewpoint that is clearly different from the one Phaserlight was talking about)
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:

I feel so relieved. 
    I don't recall any of those people being present and posting in this thread.  Nice attempt to deflect things onto imaginary strawmen who aren't here though I suppose.  You even included incredibly witty mispellings of their names! Bravo.

(for those with wool over their eyes, it is true that Derek and Goon Squad do exist outside of this thread.  However, they are a separate viewpoint that is clearly different from the one Phaserlight was talking about)
    Why would they need to be here? it was very relevant, you seem ignorant of that fact, not a surprise, it seems most are.

(also just had a look and there are some goof squad members and a few DS followers in this thread)
    Post edited by Orinori on
    TheScavengerKyleranEponyxDamor
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Like you in the other thread pick someone struggling in the PTU test phase to indeed complete a mission or has something negative to say and present that to make your argument. Experiences there's many, bad and good, you selectively pick the bad to sustain your narrative that then you brand of "there are no two sides just stating what it is". How surprising... The truth you speak of, is your truth, the one that fits your bias. 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited December 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Phrasing your mutation and cherry-picking as a question doesn't make it any better despite the obvious attempt to conceal it as such.

I was originally responding to the topic (or rather, someone who didn't specifically say he was addressing the topic but didn't specify so it could logically be assumed he was), not you, before you came along and tried to mutate my reply into an entirely different context.

The topic, as pointed out repeatedly in this thread, was the 5 most dubious microtransactions, and as also repeatedly pointed out, it was only Star Citizen's land transactions that made the list.  A "microtransaction" to buy a plot of land for a game that doesn't even exist yet is a lot more dubious than anything EA or Bungie will ever sold, and in this case, it's made clear because the microtransactions that were called into question (be it loot boxes or season passes that always come to pass unlike crowd funded games).

But of course now you're mutating and twisting the context of my replies to apply to crowdfunding as a whole to deflect how dubious Star Citizen's land cash grab is.  How typical.
    You got me hungry now, I'm going buying some cherries for myself.

If you defend that as your opinion so be it, for me it's ridiculous and clouded judgment by bias, if your argument was the point the list was made on on the list then other crowdfunded projects would be there, but nope. So have fun with that, I'll go get me cherries.

Cheries are out of season. You're going to have to eat something else.

..Cake..

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    MaxBacon said:
    Like you in the other thread pick someone struggling in the PTU test phase to indeed complete a mission or has something negative to say and present that to make your argument. Experiences there's many, bad and good, you selectively pick the bad to sustain your narrative that then you brand of "there are no two sides just stating what it is". How surprising... The truth you speak of, is your truth, the one that fits your bias. 
    Are you kidding me right now? 

I've said many times I appreciate what Star Citizen is trying to do; there are many good things about this project. I disagree with a few big things in the way they are going about it, maybe they don't have any better options right now (unlikely, though).  It's aesthetically very pleasing.

What really rubs me the wrong way is how a significant portion of their community can't seem to let any criticism or negativity stand whatsoever.  You yourself admit the problems in the story I pasted in the other thread exist, yet oh-so-faithfully WTF my posts.  Others do the same thing or try to call into question the validity of the report.  It's like this unspoken fear that CIG is going to run out of money so better not let any smudges stand so more people buy in at this point in time.

Honestly, SC's community just might be the biggest barrier this game has to achieving mainstream success.

It's really a catch-22, and I'm not sure how to fix it other than to say "stop being so cult-like and company-worshipping". Really though, when has making that type of statement ever worked?

Really maybe the best option is to let things run their course, but the amount of astroturfing going on around this is obscene. Wish I could say otherwise.
    BruceYeeEponyxDamor

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    sgel said:
    Cheries are out of season. You're going to have to eat something else.
    They only had frozen ones :/

Are you kidding me right now? 

I've said many times I appreciate what Star Citizen is trying to do; there are many good things about this project. I disagree with a few big things in the way they are going about it, maybe they don't have any better options right now (unlikely, though).  It's aesthetically very pleasing.

What really rubs me the wrong way is how a significant portion of their community can't seem to let any criticism or negativity stand whatsoever.  You yourself admit the problems in the story I pasted in the other thread exist, yet oh-so-faithfully WTF my posts.  Others do the same thing or try to call into question the validity of the report.  It's like this unspoken fear that CIG is going to run out of money so better not let any smudges stand so more people buy in at this point in time.
    But you still were selective about pushing that narrative, then claiming "there are no sides" you are blatantly ignoring the other side of the feedback and play experiences and transmitting a very selective narrative. And the sensationalist way you write those posts it is what I WTF (just like what I just mentioned), not your concerns/critics of the game.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Herase said:
    Viper482 said:

There's no "rush to defend the project" but more a guilty pleasure of calling out to the usual gibberish spread by the usual folks who's life goal now is to crusade in a campaign against anything related with Star Citizen.

The forum gibberish is just that gibberish, noise spread by a few with an axe to grind against Chris Roberts and/or Star Citizen. They feed on useless nitpicking normally disguised as "critical concern" to attack Star Citizen while ignoring the same reality around other gaming companies and games in development.

That's why you see them mostly exclusively in Star Citizen Threads across the web. It's pretty much done by a dozen of individuals highly emotionally attached to the idea of seeing Star Citizen fail, hence their frustration and usual absence when Star Citizen does good and the consequent emergence only to push something irrelevant and mundane as "utterly bad" with their typical hypershambolic "doom" narrative lol

In short, there's no "investment" to protect lol just the usual hogwash to be cleansed. B)
    KyleranEponyxDamor
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Babuinix said:
    Herase said:
    Viper482 said:

There's no "rush to defend the project" but more a guilty pleasure of calling out to the usual gibberish spread by the usual folks who's life goal now is to crusade in a campaign against anything related with Star Citizen.

The forum gibberish is just that gibberish, noise spread by a few with an axe to grind against Chris Roberts and/or Star Citizen. They feed on useless nitpicking normally disguised as "critical concern" to attack Star Citizen while ignoring the same reality around other gaming companies and games in development.

That's why you see them mostly exclusively in Star Citizen Threads across the web. It's pretty much done by a dozen of individuals highly emotionally attached to the idea of seeing Star Citizen fail, hence their frustration and usual absence when Star Citizen does good and the consequent emergence only to push something irrelevant and mundane as "utterly bad" with their typical hypershambolic "doom" narrative lol

In short, there's no "investment" to protect lol just the usual hogwash to be cleansed. B)
    But there is a rush to defend the project.  We all know who will argue with any negative posts here.  For as long as it takes.  Which is why some threads run so many pages but it's good for the site cause they get so many clicks and good for SC because it stays at the top of forum views.  But again, there is a rush to respond to negative posting.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited December 2017
    Babuinix said:
    Herase said:
    Viper482 said:

But there is a rush to defend the project.  We all know who will argue with any negative posts here.  For as long as it takes.  Which is why some threads run so many pages but it's good for the site cause they get so many clicks and good for SC because it stays at the top of forum views.  But again, there is a rush to respond to negative posting.
    Agree with the bold part, not so much of a "rush to defend" anything but more a guilty pleasure of correcting the usual push of falsehoods, misconceptions and lies.
    A bit like popping out pimples mixed with a bit of Cunningham's Law.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The reason why star citizen tops the list is that CIG started selling land plots without having a prototype on the land plot system or an actual universe where the land plots will be. Sure, they spent 40 minutes in a video promoting it but you weren't any wiser how it would work out because right now it doesn't seem like CIG knows how it will work out.

Its somewhat telling that four EA games made the list, their attempts at microtransactions are a cancer to the gaming industry.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    MMORPG Star Citizen forums. The only fan forum where the most regular posters get offended when fans dare interrupt their never ending Chris Roberts bashing sessions. 

TheScavengerPhaserlightErillion
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Shaigh said:
    The reason why star citizen tops the list is that CIG started selling land plots without having a prototype on the land plot system or an actual universe where the land plots will be. Sure, they spent 40 minutes in a video promoting it but you weren't any wiser how it would work out because right now it doesn't seem like CIG knows how it will work out.

Its somewhat telling that four EA games made the list, their attempts at microtransactions are a cancer to the gaming industry.

to be fair... they did/do the same with the ships. =P
    PhaserlightOctagon7711

This have been a good conversation

Rhoklaw said:
    Orinori said:
    MMORPG Star Citizen forums. The only fan forum where the most regular posters get offended when fans dare interrupt their never ending Chris Roberts bashing sessions. 

Bashing assumes Chris Roberts hasn't done anything wrong. The right thing would be to say.....
    More Chris Roberts bashing I see, Imagine my shock.
    TheScavenger
    tawess said:

Exactly.

Whole article is FAKE NEWS!
    TheScavengerKyleran
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    At this point the supporters are in a freaking cult.  They pretty much accept any new macrotransaction or delay.

I'm positive this game will never deliver.  the engine is not going to be adequate and all of their eggs are in the basket of a crap engine.
    BruceYee
    edited December 2017
    At this point the supporters are in a freaking cult.  They pretty much accept any new macrotransaction or delay.

I'm positive this game will never deliver.  the engine is not going to be adequate and all of their eggs are in the basket of a crap engine.
    That's odd because the videos I am watching the engine seems to be doing just fine for an alpha. 

I like how you managed to bash the fans, Chris Roberts AND CIG all in one short post though! Excellent work comrade! 

p.s Ori no in cult! If you can't handle watching the greatest ever game being built by the greatest game developer there ever has been, then perhaps don't watch!
    TheScavengerKyleranEponyxDamorFrodoFragins
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2017
    tawess said:
    Shaigh said:

I think it's more that the land can't be used without a builder ship ($850).

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Vrika said:
    tawess said:
    Shaigh said:

At least the ship can be used, whereas to use the land you'll need to get a builder ship ($850).
    Another thing is that you kind of know how a ship will act on some basic level. They have extremely limited info about how land will work. Put a thing down and it claims a piece for you. But there are a large number of mechanics that are unknowable at this point. Actually paying for something that unknowable is pretty ludicrous to me.
    BruceYee
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    MaxBacon said:
    To talk about buying land and ignore the existence of Entropia Universe is just wtf.

Actually it would be hard to define Entropia Universe as microtransactions because what you buy/looted in EU can actually be sold for real world money, and because of rare items and land inflation some players did make a lot of profit doing that.

So that one is more like a casino or futures gambling than microtransactions.

Just because they both sell land doesn't mean they both the same... plus EU actually is a finished game :P
    BruceYeeMaxBacon
    Vrika said:
    tawess said:
    Shaigh said:

I think it's more that the land can't be used without a builder ship ($850).
    Yes Vrika, to own land that could have minerals in it that you could sell on without ever doing anything more than planting a flag, You need to buy the base builder for $850 and then you need to protect it with the $20,000 fleet of ships you need to buy also. 

It's a bait and switch on the $50, first you go in for fifty then BOOM, you are suddenly 20k in debt :/
    TheScavenger