Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't envy the people who have to do year end lists and awards...

13»

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Private Server games are the way to go, they are exploding in fantasticism. (word I just made up).

and in my opinion so much so it makes this era of gaming the best in history

Yeah and I think classic WoW was the best news all year. What does that say about 2017 tho? If you have to list emulators and private servers...
    You're funny. First you lament, every year (like every other past mmo gamer), how there aren't new things to get your fix off of and then go on to talk about stuff that was relevant a decade ago like it was the best thing.

If those best things are there for you to enjoy how was this year a bad MMO year? The people that had their online games close this year and haven't found a new community home, those are the people who've had a bad MMO year.

MMO gamers: I want some new MMO high every year, but I want it all to stay the same and never change.

The lists this year are going to be epic because this was a crazy year for gaming. There hasn't been a year this epic in a while. There were more interesting games released across all platforms and genres, especially the Switch, than I can recall in any recent year.
    they are in a marketing victim cycle.
    I know this because I used to be the same way. you just sit and wait for months for something like Gamespot to make a major splash about some cool game then that is what your supposed to like for 6 months before it comes out. Then when its ready to come out you are so hyped up you need to spend the money for release, then you do and the game is meh.

then you do it again...and again...until you finally stop
    100% wrong as usual. I only played emulated servers with any amount of time, mainly vanilla WoW and didn't spend a dime on anything MMO related.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2017
    Nilden said:
    Let's face it 2017 was pretty abysmal when it comes to MMORPGs. The year end stuff is going to be padded with nonMMOs and expansions along with all the kickstarter MMOs that have been on lists for years now.

Good luck with that.

It is not like MMORPGs are the main draw to websites anymore. 
    They still are "for me."

Who cares why other people visit websites, I just ignore them, might as well just be Russian chat bots or something. 

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Scorchien said:

But you are completly misguided and off track .. No matter how many ways you try to squeeze this idea of the top 3 Indie Multi Player Survival games have out sold W3 with a near 5 year head start in sales and giving there game away thru STeam sales for a bag of Skittles ...
    It's like a religion with Sean.

But 7DTD is having a birthday in 7 days! On December 13 it has been in "alpha" for four years! What an accomplishment. An alpha that costs $25.

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:
    Let's face it 2017 was pretty abysmal when it comes to MMORPGs. The year end stuff is going to be padded with nonMMOs and expansions along with all the kickstarter MMOs that have been on lists for years now.

Good luck with that.

They still are "for me."

Who cares why other people visit websites, I just ignore them, might as well just be Russian chat bots or something. 

;)
    Well, in nariu's little world they're not. He really seems to hate MMO players but continues to play MMOs and hang out with MMO players on forums. Not sure why he comes here. Maybe he doesn't get enough hugs at home.

Although @SEANMCAD and @nariusseldon are both usually clueless, at least Sean believes what he says. @nariusseldon only comes here to bait others into an argument. The consummate troll.

It's not really much of a choice, but I'll take Sean hanging out in threads over this clown any day.
    MadFrenchie

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Private Server games are the way to go, they are exploding in fantasticism. (word I just made up).

Yeah and I think classic WoW was the best news all year. What does that say about 2017 tho? If you have to list emulators and private servers...
    You're funny. First you lament, every year (like every other past mmo gamer), how there aren't new things to get your fix off of and then go on to talk about stuff that was relevant a decade ago like it was the best thing.

If those best things are there for you to enjoy how was this year a bad MMO year? The people that had their online games close this year and haven't found a new community home, those are the people who've had a bad MMO year.

MMO gamers: I want some new MMO high every year, but I want it all to stay the same and never change.

The lists this year are going to be epic because this was a crazy year for gaming. There hasn't been a year this epic in a while. There were more interesting games released across all platforms and genres, especially the Switch, than I can recall in any recent year.
    I know this because I used to be the same way. you just sit and wait for months for something like Gamespot to make a major splash about some cool game then that is what your supposed to like for 6 months before it comes out. Then when its ready to come out you are so hyped up you need to spend the money for release, then you do and the game is meh.

100% wrong as usual. I only played emulated servers with any amount of time, mainly vanilla WoW and didn't spend a dime on anything MMO related.
    so you never complain about the state of gaming today?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:

But you are completly misguided and off track .. No matter how many ways you try to squeeze this idea of the top 3 Indie Multi Player Survival games have out sold W3 with a near 5 year head start in sales and giving there game away thru STeam sales for a bag of Skittles ...

But 7DTD is having a birthday in 7 days! On December 13 it has been in "alpha" for four years! What an accomplishment. An alpha that costs $25.

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.

They still are "for me."

;)
    Well, in nariu's little world they're not. He really seems to hate MMO players but continues to play MMOs and hang out with MMO players on forums. Not sure why he comes here. Maybe he doesn't get enough hugs at home.

Although @SEANMCAD and @nariusseldon are both usually clueless, at least Sean believes what he says. @nariusseldon only comes here to bait others into an argument. The consummate troll.

It's not really much of a choice, but I'll take Sean hanging out in threads over this clown any day.
    so here is the main point I was making that got side track into if 7DTD is doing good or not.

The POINT is this.

MOST HERE = 'this is the worst era of gaming'
    ME = 'this is the best era of gaming...ever...in 37 years of me gaming'

MOST HERE = 'we want to go to extra ordinary lengths to do all we can to avoid looking at any of the games that SEANMCAD thinks makes up the best era in gaming and instead just complain.'

We can debate over how the ROI of these indie, unfinished, low  budget, almost zero advertising gmes are absolutly completely crushing the ROI of AAA games but that is a different conversation

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Is that what a marketing victim cycle is?

*cough* bullshit.

Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

*cough* bullshit.
    no a marketing cycle is NOT never complaining about the state of gaming.

but complaining about gaming IS a result of a marketing cycle yes...

you know why? because they keep tricking you into buying games that are clearly garbage.

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

*cough* bullshit.

you know why? because they keep tricking you into buying games that are clearly garbage.
    You literally have no idea what games I buy. You are just making stuff up.

Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

*cough* bullshit.

You literally have no idea what games I buy. You are just making stuff up.
    I do not have a clue what game you buy that is correct.

its also not remotely relevant to my point.

you replied to a comment of me saying 'they' meaning abstracting. then you somehow thought it meant that I know what games you play? how did you reach to that ?

Scorchien said:

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.

They still are "for me."

;)

They are really stupid trolls. Don't worry I'm just using they as an abstract. That's how it works apparently.

edited December 2017
    Nilden said:
    Scorchien said:

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.

They still are "for me."

;)

They are really stupid trolls. Don't worry I'm just using they as an abstract. That's how it works apparently.
    you got confused. when I said 'they' I was not refering to you I was refering to this:

Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470112/i-dont-envy-the-people-who-have-to-do-year-end-lists-and-awards/p3#4DzMUvIdZYfcoH5k.99

if you go back and read it more closely it might help

So unless you are that kind of MMO gamer then you dont have anything to cry about

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

*cough* bullshit.

that is why I play the pirated copy first, if I find it any good I buy it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

*cough* bullshit.

that is why I play the pirated copy first, if I find it any good I buy it
    I almost never have a problem buying good games. 
    I watch youtube videos if it sparks my interest, i buy works well

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Oh, you think Destiny 2 is a MMO too? That is the game i, as you say, "continue to play". 

Well, you confused between forum pvp and "hang out with MMO players on forum". Not sure why I am here? You are not paying attention. It is simple. Posting here is more fun than playing MMOs. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    SEANMCAD said: 
    Scorchien said:

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.

They still are "for me."

;)

so here is the main point I was making that got side track into if 7DTD is doing good or not.

The POINT is this.

MOST HERE = 'we want to go to extra ordinary lengths to do all we can to avoid looking at any of the games that SEANMCAD thinks makes up the best era in gaming and instead just complain.'

We can debate over how the ROI of these indie, unfinished, low  budget, almost zero advertising gmes are absolutly completely crushing the ROI of AAA games but that is a different conversation
    All your fault Sean, I actually bought 7DTD on your glowing recommendations, but then you went out of your way to tell me I would hate it.

Still on the playlist, but I hear it may "launch" in 2018 so I might wait until then because...well you know.

;)

(Note,  winky smiley, means above comment should be viewed in jest, and not taken as being serious.)

Now this here is my serious face...

B)
    cameltosis

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SEANMCAD said:

Actually, it is in Websters dictionary... https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fantasticism

Anyways, Biowares Neverwinter nights actually allowed you to legally set up your own server over 15 years ago so that period certainly had it's good parts. Most of todays private servers are gone pretty fast and I like to keep my characters thanks. 

OP have a point though, 2017 was a poor MMO year. A decent GW2 expansion was about what happened. Some interesting games started alpha testing but it would be wrong to award any of them anything until they actually launch.
    edited December 2017
    Loke666 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Actually, it is in Websters dictionary... https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fantasticism

Anyways, Biowares Neverwinter nights actually allowed you to legally set up your own server over 15 years ago so that period certainly had it's good parts. Most of todays private servers are gone pretty fast and I like to keep my characters thanks. 

OP have a point though, 2017 was a poor MMO year. A decent GW2 expansion was about what happened. Some interesting games started alpha testing but it would be wrong to award any of them anything until they actually launch.
    wait because one game 15 years ago allowed you to have private servers makes it better era then these games?

Most of my gaming life I had to struggle to find games I enjoyed. Now I have more in my collection then I will ever have time for in a lifetime AND there are more out there I want. How many building games where there 15 years ago? ZERO that is how many

and yes I know they all arent private server games

Ark

Rust

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

Imperium Galactic Survival

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Another Brick in the Mall

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said: 
    Scorchien said:

Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.

They still are "for me."

;)

The POINT is this.

All your fault Sean, I actually bought 7DTD on your glowing recommendations, but then you went out of your way to tell me I would hate it.

Still on the playlist, but I hear it may "launch" in 2018 so I might wait until then because...well you know.

;)

(Note,  winky smiley, means above comment should be viewed in jest, and not taken as being serious.)

Now this here is my serious face...

B)
    lol... you explicitly stated that you do not like crafting and building games and yet....you bought a crafting and building game.

There are some people I just cant help, people like that would clearly qualify

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a list of the 10 best new MMOs of 2017.  Maybe I missed something during the year that was fun to play.