Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Electronic Arts Were 100 Percent Honest With Us

2»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Has anyone ever been 100% honest?

Why do we put impossible expectations on companies when no person can do the same.

When someone is dishonest with me I call them on it.  If it's a company I do the same.   Why would you excuse and accept dishonesty from anyone or anything?  

Sorry I can't even imagine the mentality that justifies being lied to...

Well, Jack said it best 

Jack ended up in jail...
    Sure, he told the truth,  should have kept his mouth shut.

;)
    The truth about bad things that he tried to hide.  A real man of honor wouldn’t have tried to shirk responsibility.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Why do we put impossible expectations on companies when no person can do the same.

When someone is dishonest with me I call them on it.  If it's a company I do the same.   Why would you excuse and accept dishonesty from anyone or anything?  

Well, Jack said it best 

Jack ended up in jail...

;)
    The truth about bad things that he tried to hide.  A real man of honor wouldn’t have tried to shirk responsibility.  
    You are being uncharacteristically literal in this conversation.

Try this another way, there are many occasions when white lies, half truths, and truths unsaid are a useful and proper approach which my guess is every person utilizes to good purpose.

There are times the truth should be told, especially to correct an injustice, but there are definitely times when it may serve no good purpose.

Rorschach's dilemma in the Watchmen is a favorite of mine,  people definitely can see both sides of the story, even if they agree with his position, "even in the face of annihilation"

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Kyleran said:

Rorschach's dilemma in the Watchmen is a favorite of mine,  people definitely can see both sides of the story, even if they agree with his position, "even in the face of annihilation"

That is definately the scene that sets this movie aside from all other super hero movies.
    ConstantineMerus
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2017
    Dakeru said:
    Kyleran said:

That is definately the scene that sets this movie aside from all other super hero movies.

The whole Watchmen story is way better than most Marvel/DC. But that's partly because it was aimed at adults, Marvel/DC rarely aim at above teen. Watchman is very well written as well.

I wonder if I was kid watching Watchman, would I wonder what is all the fuss about and why do they go around in those silly costumes, especially the 30's/40's ones. And how come most of them have no powers? :)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Well, Jack said it best 

Jack ended up in jail...

;)
    You are being uncharacteristically literal in this conversation.

Try this another way, there are many occasions when white lies, half truths, and truths unsaid are a useful and proper approach which my guess is every person utilizes to good purpose.

There are times the truth should be told, especially to correct an injustice, but there are definitely times when it may serve no good purpose.

I never saw the movie but I think there is a massive difference between universal Armageddon and lying to maximize business profits.

There is no scenario where I would equate the two.  So even if I agreed that there are such scenarios related to truth, it would never, ever involve a video game company.

PS: Not having seen the movie I can't understand the context but I found myself absolutely aligned with Rorschach. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Distopia said:

In a consumer relationship you don't need to accept anything, speak with your dollars, very few companies are honest with you, if any are at all....
    Isn't everyone already doing that?

And so what if EA is dishonest? I am not looking to make friends with a company. If they make a good (to me) game at the right price, i will buy it. It is a transaction .. pure and simple. There is no trust, no expectation, nothing more a free exchange in a free market.

If they cannot make a game i like, there are plenty of other places to go. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Distopia said:

In a consumer relationship you don't need to accept anything, speak with your dollars, very few companies are honest with you, if any are at all....

And so what if EA is dishonest? I am not looking to make friends with a company. If they make a good (to me) game at the right price, i will buy it. It is a transaction .. pure and simple. There is no trust, no expectation, nothing more a free exchange in a free market.

You'd have to ask all of these people who are so unhappy with gaming. 

I didn't say that EA being dishonest was a problem, it's just the reality of business... ANd sure I agree the consumer relationship isn't really about trust, it's about do you want to buy this or not... 

I don't disagree, I have found plenty of gaming options I'm happy with. Was stoked I was able to get Xcom2 a week ago for 16 bucks on GMG.com, great game!...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    Distopia said:

You'd have to ask all of these people who are so unhappy with gaming. 

I didn't say that EA being dishonest was a problem, it's just the reality of business... ANd sure I agree the consumer relationship isn't really about trust, it's about do you want to buy this or not... 

I don't disagree, I have found plenty of gaming options I'm happy with. Was stoked I was able to get Xcom2 a week ago for 16 bucks on GMG.com, great game!...

Yes, i am asking all those here who is so upset with gaming, not only you. 
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:

Well, Jack said it best 

Jack ended up in jail...

;)
    Honor is an overblown narrative. I'd say if you asked most people they'd say samurai were honorable warriors. But do they know that samurai were 'honor bound' to kill a peasant if that peasant so much as disrespected them? It was the samurai's duty to protect their own honor, and by consequence protect the status quo.

In that movie, Jack isn't so much different. He represents old ideas and the movie's outcome is to say one man's life is more important than those ideas. Is that a good outcome? How many people already died to protect those ideas, and by consequence our society? Well now their deaths aren't worth anything. The lawyer of course doesn't think about that, he has the luxury of not having to. Jack didn't have that luxury. 

Jack's mistake was only putting personal pride ahead of duty by allowing himself to be baited.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    that video wasn't even funny,  they need a better actor.  I bailed pretty quickly
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2017
    Scot said:
    The whole Watchmen story is way better than most Marvel/DC. But that's partly because it was aimed at adults, Marvel/DC rarely aim at above teen. Watchman is very well written as well.
    I wouldn't say aimed at adults, it "simply" was a real novel, from a real writer, in the disguise of a comic book :wink:  It's a masterpiece, not many can reach that level, some works of Gaiman for example. Not saying the movie wasn't good, because it was (minus the changes), but anyone liked the movie should read the book too.

edit: in the other two's defense they occasionally have their moments too :smile:  DC has the Killing Joke, that was pretty good (not a coincidence, it's Moore too), and Marvel... well they were always more on the lighter tone, but Kraven's last hunt was great.
  • chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    EA: ok god commande dus ot be honest....so we are gonna first say that we are your heroin dealers of gaming and come get your addiction....oh and we are gonna raise all our prices for any game we sell to 500 bucks , have to make you buy a loot box per frame per second you are allowed and make your first character of any game PINK....

ALSO we will require 10% of all your income montlhy regardless if you play or not....and a satan doll must be placed on top of your head in real life.

-----
    this about right?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    waynejr2 said:
    DMKano said:

Yup.  Adults learn this....
    Apparently only SOME adults learn this...

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    danwest58 said:
    This is some funny shit.   Its 100% true.  This is exactly why I fought against Cash shops and F2P in MMORPGS.   Because you get bullshit like ArcheAge, and the rest of the garbage F2P cash grabs.   Yea F2P players can complain all they want about paying a $15 a month subscription HOWEVER a subscription is the best solution for online games.   Now I agree that $15 a month for some games like SWTOR is not worth it.   But you can come up with different subscription amounts.   $4.99 to $12.99.   If you take Battle Front 2 and turned it into a $5 a month subscription or $9.99 for 2 or 3 months it would 100% better than loot crap that you get today.  

When you have Online servers that run a game you have to have a revenue stream for that.  The most Fair method is a subscription.   You either pay it or you dont period.  None of this Gamble box BS because it does not matter if you have a cosmetic shop or not, people dont spend much money if at all in these shops.   Just like HOTS for me, Yea in 3 months of playing I bought 1 character in there it cost me $8s I think.  I also wanted more heroes but I was not going to buy each hero.  BUT if they charged me $4 to $8 per month or 2 months or what ever for full access I would have done that.  The Nickle and Diming BS is real.   Why do you think I no longer play most games today?  Because if you put this into your game I am just not going to play this crap.   

This is what happens when you have Always On Gaming.  They could do the Starcraft Model which was B2P game and B2P Expansions and still make a crap ton of money.  The Only Online piece is the servers to match up players, not to run the game itself.  These 2 systems were far superior to anything today.  But we seem to have to cater to the people who dont want to spend a dime to play which causes Loot Boxes.  
    So sick and tired of post like this. Get off your high horse man. Sub games are all doing the cash shop crap now. They are all money grubbing game companies now. Your idea about different sub. prices are tried in some older not so popular games too. But if you think ESO would ever do this your dreaming.
    EA: ok god commande dus ot be honest....so we are gonna first say that we are your heroin dealers of gaming and come get your addiction....oh and we are gonna raise all our prices for any game we sell to 500 bucks , have to make you buy a loot box per frame per second you are allowed and make your first character of any game PINK....

ALSO we will require 10% of all your income montlhy regardless if you play or not....and a satan doll must be placed on top of your head in real life.

-----
    this about right?

nope. You miss the point that only the whales will got fleeced and most will either let the whales subsidize them, or jump to other games. 
    holdenfive
    Hariken said:
    So sick and tired of post like this. Get off your high horse man. Sub games are all doing the cash shop crap now. They are all money grubbing game companies now. Your idea about different sub. prices are tried in some older not so popular games too. But if you think ESO would ever do this your dreaming.
    Of course companies are all money grubbing. You do know what companies do, right?

And it is free world. If they don't provide you with good enough entertainment, you don't have to pay them a cent.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Best part of that video comes at the very very end though, "Because you can't spell 'steal' without EA."
    Slapshot1188