Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"All too easy..."

I've been thinking about how different things are since the good old Shrouded Isles days up to the present day. Doesn't it seem to all you gals/guys that everything is becoming too easy to do now? I mean, look at Gareth and Lamorak. In a week, give or take a couple days, there were level 50s, alliances were formed, people were well off money wise and already starting to take keeps.

Transportation has also become far too easy. With these "channelers" everywhere, you can be in any area you want in the game instantly.

You know what I miss? I miss when getting to 50 was a commitment of a few months or so (maybe a month for someone that was under house arrest or didn't have much of a life besides). I miss grouping plenty and often in the classic zones (not in an instance or in a dungeon, just plain outside). I miss everyone looking unique, not like having the same crap on they got from Atlantis or Catacombs, it just makes everyone look like clones. I miss it being an adventure to go some place in the world because nearly nothing meant instant travel and I really miss sitting on the portal pad talking to others while we waited to be whisked away to far off lands to battle our mortal enemies.

Thats just how I feel. There has been a lot of good change in the game over the years, but you have to think when things start to loss their luster, was it worth it in the end.

I'm not so much complaining as reminiscing. I just wish the new servers had had more of the classic feel I remembered when I first started playing.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

Comments

• Thunder-Thunder- Member Posts: 165

*tear* so beautiful. if only this could be true...

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by Lunar_Knight

You know what I miss? I miss when getting to 50 was a commitment of a few months or so (maybe a month for someone that was under house arrest or didn't have much of a life besides). I miss grouping plenty and often in the classic zones (not in an instance or in a dungeon, just plain outside). I miss everyone looking unique, not like having the same crap on they got from Atlantis or Catacombs, it just makes everyone look like clones. I miss it being an adventure to go some place in the world because nearly nothing meant instant travel and I really miss sitting on the portal pad talking to others while we waited to be whisked away to far off lands to battle our mortal enemies.
    Thats just how I feel. There has been a lot of good change in the game over the years, but you have to think when things start to loss their luster, was it worth it in the end.

So you miss spending 50 days played in the game to reach 50.  You miss spending 10 + minutes on a horse and making sure you were in the right place to jump off to catch the next ticket.  You miss walking another 10+ minutes to get to a spot to camp and then spending hours there killing.  You miss having CM clogged up with people in the pit, or getting onto a list at the Fin tree.  You miss spending 10 minutes sitting on a pad after death before you could go back to fight.

I can't say I miss any of that.  I wish that the new servers did make it somewhat harder to level because the only reason it should be so easy on the older servers is to help out the new players.  Other than that I am glad they have removed most of the need to walk/use a horse.  It is time consuming and boring.

As for the armor, I would say the current armor is more unique than before.  Before SC everyone wore their CM armor or Epic.  When DF was added people would use CM or DF.  Once SC came out people used crafting.  Now people use ToA, SC, and Cats armor mixed together.  That is far more unique than what was before.  The only people I see running around with the same armor are usually BB who have ToA armor on them. 

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

It's funny, but I actually do miss a good half of the things you listed. Nostolgia makes you crazy I guess :)

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

Originally posted by JulianDracos

"So you miss spending 50 days played in the game to reach 50.  You miss spending 10 + minutes on a horse and making sure you were in the right place to jump off to catch the next ticket.  You miss walking another 10+ minutes to get to a spot to camp and then spending hours there killing.  You miss having CM clogged up with people in the pit, or getting onto a list at the Fin tree.  You miss spending 10 minutes sitting on a pad after death before you could go back to fight."

Ya, pretty much. image 

"I can't say I miss any of that.  I wish that the new servers did make it somewhat harder to level because the only reason it should be so easy on the older servers is to help out the new players.  Other than that I am glad they have removed most of the need to walk/use a horse.  It is time consuming and boring."

So your glad that most people just portal to where ever they think and/or are told to go. You do realize because of this new people miss out on huge areas of the game that they might have had the pleasure of discovering, but will not because they never walked or rode though those areas because portaling was so much easier.

"As for the armor, I would say the current armor is more unique than before.  Before SC everyone wore their CM armor or Epic.  When DF was added people would use CM or DF.  Once SC came out people used crafting.  Now people use ToA, SC, and Cats armor mixed together.  That is far more unique than what was before.  The only people I see running around with the same armor are usually BB who have ToA armor on them." 

I will admit there are exceptions to this rule, but people will more often wear whatever gives them a distinct advantage, no matter what it looks like or how many other people are wearing it. With servers with ToA, every other tank has battler/malice strapped to their belt and just about every caster has Tartaros Gift in hand. I'm not even going to start on ToA armor, because the whole point is no one looks really unique anymore and  it just doesn't fit with the game. Catacombs armor is following the same principle on the new servers right now, but thankfully not as intensely.

At the end of the day, I think you see this more as game to be played quickly and get as much fun as you can in short amount of time. I, however, wish to savor my game play and really merge myself into the game, long walks though the realm and long portal waits included. It is just a game though and we each have different likes and dislikes, so you play it as you wish and I'll play it as I wish.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

• bukshotbukshot Member Posts: 277

I am not subscribed to the game anymore, but I understand alot of what you are saying. They did change the game alot. It was changing before I left. One thing I would not miss is the long boring horse rides. Yeah you got to check out the scenery, but it was just far too long most of the time. Maybe they should open the portals after a certain lvl, that way players get to know where things are before they hop around. Just an idea

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

The problems you find are not in just DAoC. It's what happens to all games as they go through "puberty." It especially happens with your first MMORPG.

No matter how much you want those days back, even if Mythic made all of those things possible again, it still would be missing the magic of playing it through the first time. :)

-Machiavelli