Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hitting 'Em Where It Hurts, EA's Stocks Lose Over $3.1 Billion in a Month - SW Battlefront 2 News

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Scot said:

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen:

"Some people have more time than money, and some people have more money than time," he said. "You want to always balance those two."

To that end, the company is still committed to implementing microtransactions in some way, but is figuring out the right way to do that. "We're learning and listening to the community in terms of how best to roll that out in the future, and there's more to come as we learn more."

This war has not been won, EA is determined to keep the MT money rolling in. Also I see no recognition that there is anything wrong with gambling MT's.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/28/ea-doesnt-think-players-want-darth-vader-in-pink.aspx 

What do people expect here? That somehow MTs are just going to go away? That all of a sudden games are going to go back to the pre-dlc days? 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited November 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    And people said all these whinings would result to nothing. Yeah count the fucking zeroes. 

To be fair, their stock price is still up $26 since January 2017 so, no, it really hasn't done anything. In fact, if we're going solely based on $$$ increase, they had their single best year ever, in company history. 

Oh! And if you thought this was about MTs then you were wrong because while everyone was busy patting each other on the backs, COD WW2 just released their MTs to crickets, and their stock price has actually gone up, lol. It's mostly about EA, it's always been about EA. 

Either this article is a lie, or it ain't. If it's a lie, inform the staff. If it ain't, then my point stands. 

You are making a lot of assumptions about my thoughts, none are correct. You know how much I value your insight mate. And we both know what this means. I won't try to make it more than what it is, and you know exactly what this is so you shouldn't try to make it less than what it is! :)

Yeah, that was meant only as an interjection. I expanded on it later on. I didn't want to decrease the value of whining on the Internet, but I was just saying that we don't know what the actual impact is, if any, yet. We've all seen horror movies, we all know about premature celebration, lol. They always come back. 
    SovrathConstantineMerus

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    And people said all these whinings would result to nothing. Yeah count the fucking zeroes. 

To be fair, their stock price is still up $26 since January 2017 so, no, it really hasn't done anything. In fact, if we're going solely based on $$$ increase, they had their single best year ever, in company history. 

Oh! And if you thought this was about MTs then you were wrong because while everyone was busy patting each other on the backs, COD WW2 just released their MTs to crickets, and their stock price has actually gone up, lol. It's mostly about EA, it's always been about EA. 

Either this article is a lie, or it ain't. If it's a lie, inform the staff. If it ain't, then my point stands. 

You are making a lot of assumptions about my thoughts, none are correct. You know how much I value your insight mate. And we both know what this means. I won't try to make it more than what it is, and you know exactly what this is so you shouldn't try to make it less than what it is! :)

Yeah, that was meant only as an interjection. I expanded on it later on. I didn't want to decrease the value of whining on the Internet, but I was just saying that we don't know what the actual impact is, if any, yet. We've all seen horror movies, we all know about premature celebration, lol. They always come back. 
    lol yeah you're right. To be honest, I've seen enough of world to learn nothing ever is going to get better. So I rejoice in small victories. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Albatroes said:
    No one has been mentioning Need for Speed with their loot box progression system as well. I can't say that I didn't chuckle a bit when I read this though. Now all they need is to lose the Star Wars license and my 2018 will be complete.
    Racing games are one of the most niche gaming genres. There has been backlash against Need for Speed, but most simply don't know or care.
    tannim78
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    It's too bad internet providers have us by the balls or we could punish them the same way with this net neutrality BS.
  • 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited November 2017

Kootur said:

Bf1, me4 and now battlefront 2. It's been a bad year for ea.

Battlefield One is an amazing game, and I have a ton of fun playing it. Sure, it's not truely wwI as all the semi-auto's and machine guns but its still fun to play. Glad they lost a bunch of money, no wants their progression tied to loot boxes, what a stupid fucking idea.
    tannim78
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    EA's explanation as to why they couldn't add cosmetics to loot boxes....this was good laugh:

Nilden
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    to be fair...ALL tech companies are getting hammered today and EA is on the NASDAQ and is about the same amount down as my entire Tech ETF is
    postlarval

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for reminding us you don't read before you reply, Sean.
    postlarval

edited November 2017
    I am letting everyone know that EA (which is on the NASDAQ) is down just as much as the entire Tech sector is today.

its just a FYI not a general deep reflection on the topic.

take a breath please
    postlarval

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SEANMCAD said:
    I am letting everyone know that EA (which is on the NASDAQ) is down just as much as the entire Tech sector is today.

take a breath please
    Pretty irrelevant, considering the topic at hand is about the stock price over the past entire month.

But hey, you do you.
    Gdemamipostlarval

SEANMCAD said:

take a breath please
    Pretty irrelevant, considering the topic at hand is about the stock price over the past entire month.

But hey, you do you.
    ok then!

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Albatroes said:
    EA's explanation as to why they couldn't add cosmetics to loot boxes....this was good laugh:

Love jims take on this whole thing. He's great at calling out the BS
    tannim78
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

"Some people have more time than money, and some people have more money than time," he said. "You want to always balance those two."

Nice pitch designed to make paying for shortcuts sound cool. People that actually play the game to earn power? Well, let's not outright call them no-lifers but, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more.

Indeed, what EA did there was find a phrase which would not offend any type of player. Something like 'some people are leeches and some people are whales' would not have gone down well. :)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Distopia said:
    Scot said:

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen:

To that end, the company is still committed to implementing microtransactions in some way, but is figuring out the right way to do that. "We're learning and listening to the community in terms of how best to roll that out in the future, and there's more to come as we learn more."

This war has not been won, EA is determined to keep the MT money rolling in. Also I see no recognition that there is anything wrong with gambling MT's.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/28/ea-doesnt-think-players-want-darth-vader-in-pink.aspx 

What do people expect here? That somehow MTs are just going to go away? That all of a sudden games are going to go back to the pre-dlc days? 

Micro-transactions and dlc are not the same thing. Or should I say were not the same thing? DLC at least started as content, but now lets be honest it often looks like a largish micro-transaction.

I have nothing against a decent dlc, or decent MT. Gameplay breaking is wrong, gambling is worse. Without regulation they are not even going to give up the gambling MT's.

They were making billions without the gambling MT's. How much is enough?
    Gdemami
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

Leon1e said:

Kootur said:

Bf1, me4 and now battlefront 2. It's been a bad year for ea.

BF1 was/is a smashing success, if you refer to Battlefield 1.

Is that why it's almost impossible to find a game on MP?
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Your always going to have those gamers that need to always be on top. EA knows this and the only change will come from gamers and it never will. People will keep buying into EA's crap and they know it. Gamers are the only ones that can change things. Its their wallet and its powerful.
  • 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 47
    The other issue with star wars is the super lag they have yet to address.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2017
    That just means there is a current opportunity to purchase their stock shares.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I’ve been a diehard Star Wars fan for 22 years. EA is ruining the gaming side of Star Wars. What’s most amazing is Disney has not pulled the plug on the exclusive Publishing deal with EA. The Mouse hates bad PR of any kind.
    Gdemami
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited November 2017
    Hariken said:
    Your always going to have those gamers that need to always be on top. EA knows this and the only change will come from gamers and it never will. People will keep buying into EA's crap and they know it. Gamers are the only ones that can change things. Its their wallet and its powerful.
    The only thing that can sway a mob mentality is a bigger mob mentality.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Iselin said:

Scot said:

Nice pitch designed to make paying for shortcuts sound cool. People that actually play the game to earn power? Well, let's not outright call them no-lifers but, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more.

It's a statement that might make at least a little sense if we were talking about 100-200 hours or 20 bucks. But thousands of hours or over $2000 on a game is friggin' disgusting.
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    All I can say is WOW,,,,,,, and that's not aimed at EA's loss,,,,, it's at a lot of these comments!!

We all have to remember that Gaming is a industry just like Ford or GMC,,,, and they all have to make money,,,, if they dont they go out of business, people lose their jobs and may be even their homes and more. Yes we want EA to make good games and good game take a lot of time to make which = man hours which costs money.

Also another thing we need to remember is the banking side of this equation. If you have a business and you want to get money from the back for your next project you have to show that you can make a higher % then what you a getting from the back if you cant you dont get the money and we dont get any new games.

And the last thing we want is Uncle Sam getting his big ass into the mid of this with the idea and helping us poor gamers and to protect us from the big bad EA rich guys!!!! Remember it's just like us playing a game that has low return for your time in game,,,,,, you just stop playing and it's no different for the big bad rich guys! If you make it harder and lower the return for effort in the business model the big bad rich guys will just take their money and go.

EA is not the only publisher that has this loot box shit do I like it no but I also know they're just trying to have a cash flow which = other big bad rich guys buying their stock which then goes into EA to help fund their operation which in some ways much like buying loot box in hope have being lucky and something good when you open it!

Its life peeps and it may not be perfect but live with it,,,,, it's a lot better then not having any games to play!!!
    Aeanderjimmywolf
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Dr_Binks said:
    All I can say is WOW,,,,,,, and that's not aimed at EA's loss,,,,, it's at a lot of these comments!!

We all have to remember that Gaming is a industry just like Ford or GMC,,,, and they all have to make money,,,, if they dont they go out of business, people lose their jobs and may be even their homes and more. Yes we want EA to make good games and good game take a lot of time to make which = man hours which costs money.

Also another thing we need to remember is the banking side of this equation. If you have a business and you want to get money from the back for your next project you have to show that you can make a higher % then what you a getting from the back if you cant you dont get the money and we dont get any new games.

And the last thing we want is Uncle Sam getting his big ass into the mid of this with the idea and helping us poor gamers and to protect us from the big bad EA rich guys!!!! Remember it's just like us playing a game that has low return for your time in game,,,,,, you just stop playing and it's no different for the big bad rich guys! If you make it harder and lower the return for effort in the business model the big bad rich guys will just take their money and go.

EA is not the only publisher that has this loot box shit do I like it no but I also know they're just trying to have a cash flow which = other big bad rich guys buying their stock which then goes into EA to help fund their operation which in some ways much like buying loot box in hope have being lucky and something good when you open it!

Its life peeps and it may not be perfect but live with it,,,,, it's a lot better then not having any games to play!!!
    Couldn't agree less...

As consumers it's not our job to worry about the business.  If the business can't make smart enough decisions to get by without skinning their customers then they are only hurting everybody by continuing to operate.  Pretending that there isn't a problem and feeding them revenue will only make the fall that much harder.
    jimmywolfroaland
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    I can fap to this.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."