Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hitting 'Em Where It Hurts, EA's Stocks Lose Over $3.1 Billion in a Month - SW Battlefront 2 News

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2017
    Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Free Market Economic Principles 101. You dont always need regulation

Now the next question is, would you rather play a game in which the developer makes choices based on fear of backlash? or a developer who understands gaming more than monetization? 
    Aeandercatofmanypostlarval

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited November 2017
    And people said all these whinings would result to nothing. Yeah count the fucking zeroes. 

To be fair, their stock price is still up $26 since January 2017 so, no, it really hasn't done anything. In fact, if we're going solely based on $$$ increase, they had their single best year ever, in company history. 

Oh! And if you thought this was about MTs then you were wrong because while everyone was busy patting each other on the backs, COD WW2 just released their MTs to crickets, and their stock price has actually gone up, lol. It's mostly about EA, it's always been about EA. 

Gdemami

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    The gaming community across all platforms should make a stand against MT practices of this type. If we don't, gaming will be mired in greed. I will NOT support EA or any company that pushes MT's as a form of progression.
    RemyVorenderGdemami
    edited November 2017
    Tekaelon said:
    The gaming community across all platforms should make a stand against MT practices of this type. If we don't, gaming will be mired in greed. I will NOT support EA or any company that pushes MT's as a form of progression.
    my view is this, I can not force a musician to create good music, I can not by fear of litigation make a film writer create a good movie. What I have to do is find developers that have a clue, they do exist but they are outside the hyper hype hype approved marketing juggernaut horseshit

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    btdt said:
    Just means I will be able to get BF2 for $20 in a month... 
    Be sure to buy it used. EA doesn't even deserve the $20 on this one.
    catofmanyinfomatz
    Aeander said:
    btdt said:
    honestly...its LITERALLY just BF with different skins.

you guys really need to look outside the box and be more open minded
    postlarval

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    btdt said:
    You say that like it's a good thing. They share the namesake of two of the best shooters of all time and the best they can give us with their massive resources is diet Battlefield with an utterly broken progression system? Fuck it right off. 
  • KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Even if EA weren't such bastards, who wants to install that piece of crap client you call Origin anyways? I'd rather run a cheese grater across my testicles. But man, glad they got what they deserve.
    catofmany
    edited November 2017
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    btdt said:
    You say that like it's a good thing. ....
    no I didnt remotely say that like its a good thing....what?

EDIT: I see the miscommunication, my second statement was to fanbois who never look outside the hype. sorry about that
    postlarval

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    CrazKanuk said:
    And people said all these whinings would result to nothing. Yeah count the fucking zeroes. 

To be fair, their stock price is still up $26 since January 2017 so, no, it really hasn't done anything. In fact, if we're going solely based on $$$ increase, they had their single best year ever, in company history. 

Oh! And if you thought this was about MTs then you were wrong because while everyone was busy patting each other on the backs, COD WW2 just released their MTs to crickets, and their stock price has actually gone up, lol. It's mostly about EA, it's always been about EA. 

No, it isn't.  Bungie is receiving the same kind of backlash from their community.  EA was dumb enough to put straight upgrades in their boxes; CoD does not.  They have cosmetics, XP boosters, and boosters for zombie mode (read: NOT competitive PvP mode).  They're very different, BF2 is much worse, and they released at the same time; that's why CoD went largely underreported.  Nothing else.

And if you don't think stockholders aren't noticing that bump, you're deluding yourself.  The overall year is pretty irrelevant, considering the backlash only occurred in the last quarter of the year.  I don't remember anyone claiming that this would cause their stocks to fall and erase the entire year's worth of growth.  You're just using that to try and minimize the fact that it did, in fact, have a very real effect on EA's bottom line.  It shows that consumers can send a clear message to producers.
    IselinGdemamilaserit

• HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    And on this news, the stock goes up today.  Go figure. 
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    There is nothing to repair as far as MTX perceptions go. It's the shadiest possible way for a publisher to separate a customer from their money.

Joined - July 2004

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I remember when this site used to discuss games......oh well.

I love actual news articles on here. Living in reality sometimes is swell.

Joined - July 2004

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Free Market Economic Principles 101. You dont always need regulation

Now the next question is, would you rather play a game in which the developer makes choices based on fear of backlash? or a developer who understands gaming more than monetization? 
    RIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTT!!!!!

NOW EA sees the error of their ways........They get it now. 

Everything's gonna be alright after this, you'll see.

Quality development at a fair market price where everyone wins......

Yep, right around the corner.

Why, I wouldn't be surprised if after this, EA puts a stop on everything they are doing even now to start correcting the error of their ways on titles in mid development.
    Aeander

I remember when this site used to discuss games......oh well.

I love actual news articles on here. Living in reality sometimes is swell.
    Yes, but I have other sites for that. Here I like talking about games. Not that there are many currently worth discussing.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:

No, it isn't.  Bungie is receiving the same kind of backlash from their community.  EA was dumb enough to put straight upgrades in their boxes; CoD does not.  They have cosmetics, XP boosters, and boosters for zombie mode (read: NOT competitive PvP mode).  They're very different, BF2 is much worse, and they released at the same time; that's why CoD went largely underreported.  Nothing else.

And if you don't think stockholders aren't noticing that bump, you're deluding yourself.  The overall year is pretty irrelevant, considering the backlash only occurred in the last quarter of the year.  I don't remember anyone claiming that this would cause their stocks to fall and erase the entire year's worth of growth.  You're just using that to try and minimize the fact that it did, in fact, have a very real effect on EA's bottom line.  It shows that consumers can send a clear message to producers.

I'm not deluding myself at all. What I do know is that their price recovered like 2% yesterday. What does that mean? They must be on the rebound, right? No. Not at all. It's an interesting piece of data, but the impact itself is largely unknown and won't be until the quarter is reported. What the community showed is that they could influence media and scare shareholders (at least momentarily). I'll hold my applause until I see the quarterly results.

Don't get me wrong, I was not a fan of their progression system at release, at all. However, if they ended up selling 10 million copies of the game, then what's the real message? I just think it's a little premature to celebrate anything. 

MadFrenchie

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    They will bounce back stronger than ever. Just give it time.
    This
    It's an issue on Wall Street, not Walmart.
    SEANMCAD said:

RIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTT!!!!!

NOW EA sees the error of their ways........They get it now. 

Everything's gonna be alright after this, you'll see.

Quality development at a fair market price where everyone wins......

Yep, right around the corner.

Why, I wouldn't be surprised if after this, EA puts a stop on everything they are doing even now to start correcting the error of their ways on titles in mid development.
    no you you didnt read the second sentence...clearly.

I said, in the second sentence, that you can NOT regulate a bad developer into a good developer.
    That said, you clearly disagree with free market economics in ALL aspects.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    That should be a wake up call.
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

you can NOT regulate a bad developer into a good developer.

Well, I won't argue with you on this part. But it's like I said in my previous thread.

EA let the cat out of the bag now. There are now politicians getting involved who want to make a name for themselves........err.....I mean protect our children.

It will be regulated now. And it's NOT going to be EA that does it.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Phry said:
    Gorwe said:
    Kootur said:
    Bf1, me4 and now battlefront 2. It's been a bad year for ea.
    Good, that's only fair. Reward failure with failure. Fair's fair and it ought to remain as such. JUSTICE!
     games with political agendas that are increasingly antagonistic towards players depending on their ethnicity and gender.

huh?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Even if you ignore the shady business practices EA simply aren't publishing good games anymore, I don't understand how they are making so much money. It blows my mind how a game like BF is popular. It has a famous IP, good visuals and sound but the gameplay is so very shallow. There's zero longevity in these games which is why they are ghost towns a couple of months after the movie is released.

It pains me to see what has become of DICE since they joined EA. I'm Swedish and I've played their games since the first pinball game they made in 1992. They used to make good games and now they make mainstream garbage that only sells based on hype, same story as all the other studios EA ruined.
    Gdemami
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    This is what you get when you make a pay to win game. Maybe EA should be seen as a warning to others.
    Octagon7711
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    No one has been mentioning Need for Speed with their loot box progression system as well. I can't say that I didn't chuckle a bit when I read this though. Now all they need is to lose the Star Wars license and my 2018 will be complete.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    CrazKanuk said:

Either this article is a lie, or it ain't. If it's a lie, inform the staff. If it ain't, then my point stands. 

You are making a lot of assumptions about my thoughts, none are correct. You know how much I value your insight mate. And we both know what this means. I won't try to make it more than what it is, and you know exactly what this is so you shouldn't try to make it less than what it is! :)

Gdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung