Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Animals

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16282-Results-Of-The-Animal-Naming-Contest

CIG announced the winners of the community animal naming contest and gives us a look at some of the animals - including descriptions. I expect to see those animals  (and others like the one shown in the city presentation) in the game at some point in the future.

Have fun
Octagon7711JamesGoblin

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    When are they going to sell pets?
    SiugNildenKyleran
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    :smile:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Asheram said:
    After launch they sell everything for in-game money.

Have fun
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Erillion said:
    Asheram said:

Have fun
    Ahh I see, so it is only before launch that they sell everything for real money.  ;)
    Asheram said:
    Erillion said:
    Asheram said:

Have fun
    Ahh I see, so it is only before launch that they sell everything for real money.  ;)
    It is only before launch that they finance the development of their game via an ongoing crowdfunding campaign.

Have fun
    Gdemami
    In a way they are already selling pets - Fish for the Fishtank have been available for quite some time now

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/Fishtank/Ribbon-Fish-Vario-Vittas

People also may want to remember that Pets in game is a stretch goal (64 M$)

"Pets – We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes. From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen. Expect traditional terrestrial options, plus anything exotic we can dream up in the Star Citizen universe! (Those Torshu Grey crabs that keep escaping are just the start.) This stretch goal is in honor of Paddington, Strike Dog of the UEES Paul Steed. "

Should not be too hard as pets with basic AI are an existing feature of the CryEngine.

Have fun

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Erillion said:
    Asheram said:
    Erillion said:
    Asheram said:

Have fun
    It is only before launch that they finance the development of their game via an ongoing crowdfunding campaign.

Have fun

You really don't see a problem with having raised $150 million plus and still asking for more, do you?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    Animal Husbandry and farms and crops.  I'm sure they'll also add how you'll be able to develop a relationship and find a husband or wife and restore the community center for your harvest on your moon, stardew citizen!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    Asheram said:
    Erillion said:
    Asheram said:

Have fun

Have fun

You really don't see a problem with having raised $150 million plus and still asking for more, do you?

Chris Roberts - the wealthiest beggar in the world. Perhaps they should get that in the Guinness book of fucking records.
    JamesGoblinPingu2012Kyleran
    Tiamat64 said:
    Animal Husbandry and farms and crops.  I'm sure they'll also add how you'll be able to develop a relationship and find a husband or wife and restore the community center for your harvest on your moon, stardew citizen!
    I expect such things will happen.

In Star Wars Galaxies I have been to a dozen virtual and one real world wedding of couples that met each other in game.  I even know a couple that met in the virtual world there .. sitting down, eating, talking ... because her husband was in the field on his tour of duty.

Have fun

No.

If it helps to get me the game i want ... i do not object if other people want to spend money for it too. Its THEIR money after all.

Have fun
    BabuinixCoticWalkinGlennKyleran
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Some people are just natural born complainers nothing new...

- Complains about rushed release
    - Complains about delays
    - Complains about big publishers killing small studioa
    - Complains about kickstarters
    - Complains about money going into marketing instead of game dev
    - Complains about crowdfunding
    - Complains about shallow game.mechanics
    - Complains about "scope creep"
    - Complains about no access to alpha
    - Complains about bugs

TLDR: Complainers gona Complain 

Not that I'm complaining.  :D
    Kyleran
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Not if you understand this crowdfunded project is a large-scale development that costs at least 40million a year to sustain.

It's not a publisher here who is sustaining the costs so it falls upon the ongoing crowdfund.
    Cotic
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    MaxBacon said:
    Not if you understand this crowdfunded project is a large-scale development that costs at least 40million a year to sustain.

It's not a publisher here who is sustaining the costs so it falls upon the ongoing crowdfund.
    Yep, big game development is expensive (SC still hasn't reached Grand Theft Auto's amount of funding yet is promising so much more) and with SC's current state, you can expect quite a few more years of development if the game's going to be any good.  Better pucker up, backers!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Erillion said:

No.

If it helps to get me the game i want ... i do not object if other people want to spend money for it too. Its THEIR money after all.

Have fun
    what happens when you never get the game you want? The ONLY reason people are giving these guys ANY latitude is because apparently money is still coming in as fast as they can invent ways to separate from people. What if they STOPPED taking in money or people stopped giving them money? Would there be a concern then? 

You guys are the best and by that I mean the worst. Youre all happy when suckers and you know theyre suckers keep pissing money away into this nonsense and you can come in here and continually defend it because right now its Shrodingers cat. There is still a chance its alive but with SC its more of a chance because its still getting fed. But on the flip side if its already dead (and no one knows it)  then feeding it isnt going to help it any.

So its flawed logic to think that continuing to throw money at it will fix everything thats wrong with the project.

But you could lift the box see a cat lying on its side and watch people still trow food (money) at it and claim 'oh he's ok he is just sleeping'.
    >>>
    what happens when you never get the game you want?
    >>>

I will be disappointed.

>>>
    Would there be a concern then?
    >>>

I am able to do the math. I know how many people work for CIG. I can make a guestimate about their burn rate. I know how long they are working on it.  I know how much money they got via crowdfunding. 

My personal interpretation of the math is that they still have enough cash to finish the development of the game ... therefore i am not concerned at this point in time.

>>>>
    But you could lift the box
    >>>>

The box has been open for years now  and i have been playing with the cat for years. And enjoyed it. I like that cat a lot.

Have fun

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:

But what about each dollar being worth 4 dollars due to the absence of a publisher?  Remember that famous line?  If they have the equivalent of 600 million dollars in development money when compared to other AAA games, isn't that enough?  Is that not already more money that any other AAA game cost to "develop"?
    kikoodutroa8Kyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Erillion said:
    >>>
    what happens when you never get the game you want?
    >>>

I will be disappointed.

>>>
    Would there be a concern then?
    >>>

I am able to do the math. I know how many people work for CIG. I can make a guestimate about their burn rate. I know how long they are working on it.  I know how much money they got via crowdfunding. 

My personal interpretation of the math is that they still have enough cash to finish the development of the game ... therefore i am not concerned at this point in time.

>>>>
    But you could lift the box
    >>>>

The box has been open for years now  and i have been playing with the cat for years. And enjoyed it. I like that cat a lot.

Have fun

1. Based on your calculations above, how long are you estimating before they actually launch a commercial product?

2. You have been running the same 16 missions over and over again for "years"?  I feel bad for you.  If I lived in Germany, I would come by and get you out of the house.
    kikoodutroa8Kyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Talonsin said:
    MaxBacon said:

But what about each dollar being worth 4 dollars due to the absence of a publisher?  Remember that famous line?  If they have the equivalent of 600 million dollars in development money when compared to other AAA games, isn't that enough?  Is that not already more money that any other AAA game cost to "develop"?
    thats just one of the things I was alluding to that people said 4 or 5 years ago. but the most pertinent since its th emoney part.
    Talonsin said:
    1. Based on your calculations above, how long are you estimating before they actually launch a commercial product?

2. You have been running the same 16 missions over and over again for "years"?  I feel bad for you.  If I lived in Germany, I would come by and get you out of the house.
    ad 1)
    My estimate since 2012 was that the first playable product will be available at the end of 2017. After approx 5 years of development. That it will be the introduction mission for "Squadron 42" (equivalent to character creator ... some things happen (if a leaked story fragment is true) and you will be able to generate a face and body the way you want it).

That the other missions of "Squadron 42" and maybe the second story part "Behind Enemy Lines" will appear throughout 2018.

And that the multiplayer part "Star Citizen" - the Persistent Universe - will be finished in 2018, most likely late in the year.

That was 5 years ago.

At the moment i would estimate that the first playable product will be available around summer 2018, based on information attributed to an Andy Serkis interview and the current state of the game. Andy (="Gollum") is playing the leader of the enemy Vanduul aliens.

ad 2)
    I have enjoyed my time in Star Citizen Alpha - especially the fun stuff i do together with friends. That is oh so much more than mission running.

If you "come by" thinking that i am German, you would look around in the wrong country.

I am Austrian ;-) 

Have fun

edited November 2017
    Talonsin said:
    In the related point, they don't have a huge marketing budget that is usually half of what they spend on big titles. The +40million already excludes that and is based on the operative cost of their 5 studios.

Someone might see 40-50 million a year and go WTF but yeah, no es cheap.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:
    In the related point, they don't have a huge marketing budget that is usually half of what they spend on big titles. The +40million already excludes that and is based on the operative cost of their 5 studios.

Someone might see 40-50 million a year and go WTF but yeah, no es cheap.
    So you are saying they have even more money towards development when compared to a normal developer since the marketing budget is so small?

Erillion said:

If you "come by" thinking that i am German, you would look around in the wrong country.

I am Austrian ;-) 

Have fun

LOL, that shows you how stupid I am.  Until just now when I looked it up, I thought Austria was just a part of Germany.  I did not realize that the allies liberated it after WWII and that it went back to being a separate country.

You learn something new everyday!
    kikoodutroa8

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

ad 1)
    My estimate since 2012 was that the first playable product will be available at the end of 2017. After approx 5 years of development. That it will be the introduction mission for "Squadron 42" (equivalent to character creator ... some things happen (if a leaked story fragment is true) and you will be able to generate a face and body the way you want it).

That the other missions of "Squadron 42" and maybe the second story part "Behind Enemy Lines" will appear throughout 2018.

And that the multiplayer part "Star Citizen" - the Persistent Universe - will be finished in 2018, most likely late in the year.

That was 5 years ago.

At the moment i would estimate that the first playable product will be available around summer 2018, based on information attributed to an Andy Serkis interview and the current state of the game. Andy (="Gollum") is playing the leader of the enemy Vanduul aliens.

ad 2)
    I have enjoyed my time in Star Citizen Alpha - especially the fun stuff i do together with friends. That is oh so much more than mission running.

I am Austrian ;-) 

Have fun

Austrian?  Is Austria even a country anymore? Or is it more like being an Atlantian, somewhere legendary and all that.

Do elves live there?

;)

Hey, I'm American, we're not so good with world geography you know, have to live up to the reputation.

kikoodutroa8

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Talonsin said:
    So you are saying they have even more money towards development when compared to a normal developer since the marketing budget is so small?
    If the budget of those games is the full thing including for marketing in the sphere of the big titles under publishers, then yes more of that goes towards dev, that is pretty much the upkeep/expansion of studios.