Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would you want loot boxes in your games?

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

...s PAYING MONEY FOR A CHANCE AT A REWARD. ....
    your still not following me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'your rouge gets +2 for the next two rounds' is NOT a reward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for anyone outside of gaming 'your rouge gets +2 for the next two rounds' is nothing more than two people talking together making up shit. It has no REAL value at all...zip...nada...nothing
    uggh, failed logic again. 

Nothing, ever, has value without context. 

Money has no value if you live in a society without money. A car has no value if you live on the moon. A holiday trip has no value if you can't leave the country. 

Value is always contextual. 

(Also, glad to see you've changed your argument again, we're now back to value - which was my argument - instead of you insisting on it being monetary). 

So, an in game bonus has value to the gamer. It does not matter that it doesn't have value for non-gamers. Context. I know that is probably too complicated for you to understand, but please try. 
    you need to be able to explain how a novels description of a bookcase means that bookcase is something.

can you do that?

games are FICTIONAL...10000000% fictional, all aspects of it, all items, all wins, all things. If one can make a GOOD arguement that items in a game have value then that is a huge step forward.

I am not saying the argument cant be made but I am saying you aint doing it

The danger here is that if we decide we can regulate THOUGHT...IMAGINATION...its then thought police.

If you come into my office and say 'you are awesome!' that is a reward. can we start to regulate based on that? i hope not

English comprehension was never your strong suit was it?
    look I am going to dial this down and ask you (and me) to stop escalting the conversation in this way with every post. I am not reading anything you have to say until you dial the insults to ...zero
    OK, I'll promise no more insults if you can promise no more straw man arguments?

Lets start simple, can you answer the following:

1. Gambling is defined as paying money for a chance at a return. This is a fact. The return can be anything, literally anything - money, objects, words, feelings. Do you agree with this definition?

2. Paid-for-lootboxes are gambling - you are paying money for a chance at a return. Do you agree with this statement?

3. Repeated gambling causes problems. It alters the way the brain works in the same way that repeated drug use does. There is scientific consensus that this is true, spend a few minutes googling to verify. Do you agree with this statement?

4. Countries around the world regulate certain types of gambling. It differs from country to country. The purpose of regulating gambling is to prevent harm, particularly to minors. Do you agree with this statement?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

your still not following me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'your rouge gets +2 for the next two rounds' is NOT a reward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for anyone outside of gaming 'your rouge gets +2 for the next two rounds' is nothing more than two people talking together making up shit. It has no REAL value at all...zip...nada...nothing

Money has no value if you live in a society without money. A car has no value if you live on the moon. A holiday trip has no value if you can't leave the country. 

(Also, glad to see you've changed your argument again, we're now back to value - which was my argument - instead of you insisting on it being monetary). 

So, an in game bonus has value to the gamer. It does not matter that it doesn't have value for non-gamers. Context. I know that is probably too complicated for you to understand, but please try. 
    you need to be able to explain how a novels description of a bookcase means that bookcase is something.

can you do that?

games are FICTIONAL...10000000% fictional, all aspects of it, all items, all wins, all things. If one can make a GOOD arguement that items in a game have value then that is a huge step forward.

The danger here is that if we decide we can regulate THOUGHT...IMAGINATION...its then thought police.

If you come into my office and say 'you are awesome!' that is a reward. can we start to regulate based on that? i hope not

look I am going to dial this down and ask you (and me) to stop escalting the conversation in this way with every post. I am not reading anything you have to say until you dial the insults to ...zero
    OK, I'll promise no more insults if you can promise no more straw man arguments?
    no..no insults unconditional.
    cameltosisYashaXpostlarval

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Trading cards...paying for RNG
    MadFrenchiepostlarval

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

can you do that?

So, you're allowed to insult other people by twisting their arguments, but when we call you out on your bullshit it's not allowed? lol. 

I think what you need is your own blog. Somewhere you can project your own opinions without fear of debate. This is a forum. Its here for debating ideas. If you are unwilling to do so in a civil manner, why are you here? If you are unable to debate the actual issues and insist on using fallacious arguments to drown out everyone else, you should be banned. 
    YashaX
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

can you do that?

So, you're allowed to insult other people ... 
    I started to escalate as well but I am here to put and end to the escalation.

Those are my terms..PEROID. I am done with discussing this with you
    YashaXpostlarval

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

can you do that?

Ok, I will stop insulting you. I admit this has escalated and I have lost my cool. Watching you insult people, derail topics, troll people, spread mis-information and use endless straw man arguments over the last 6 months (and longer....) has been difficult to tolerate, but the recent sudden death of my mother has impaired my ability to control myself. I apologise. 

edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

can you do that?

Ok, I will stop insulting you. I admit this has escalated and I have lost my cool. Watching you insult people, derail topics, troll people, spread mis-information and use endless straw man arguments over the last 6 months (and longer....) has been difficult to tolerate, but the recent sudden death of my mother has impaired my ability to control myself. I apologise. 

nope, not good enough sorry. 

three strikes I am out, dont expect a reply but I will if I want to but unlikely
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieYashaXpostlarval

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

1. Gambling is defined as paying money for a chance at a return. This is a fact. The return can be anything, literally anything - money, objects, words, feelings. Do you agree with this definition?

Nope.That is not how gambling is defined. Legally unless something of appraisable or monetary value above a certain amount is wagered it's not gambling it's an entertainment. Your entire premise is based on a false assumption. 
    I know I have said this before:

Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value (referred to as "the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning money or material goods. Gambling thus requires three elements be present: consideration, chance and prize.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling
    [Deleted User]
  • gir243gir243 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

can you do that?

That guy is as toxic as they come. Throwing around insults while crying about being insulted. Once he is backed into a corner with no way to twist arguments he...."I am out and will not respond" or /leaves thread. Highly entertaining.
    cameltosis
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    gir243 said:
    That guy is as toxic as they come. Throwing around insults while crying about being insulted. Once he is backed into a corner with no way to twist arguments he...."I am out and will not respond" or /leaves thread. Highly entertaining.
    Cameltosis clearly started the insults in this thread as you can read so donno what you're implying here. Doesn't matter what he said in other threads. 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Nope.That is not how gambling is defined. Legally unless something of appraisable or monetary value above a certain amount is wagered it's not gambling it's an entertainment. Your entire premise is based on a false assumption. 
    Wrong. Proof... google penny slot machine...
    Image result for penny slot machine

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited December 2017
    Nilden said:

Gambling....by paying money

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

I can go to card kingdom and buy singles or an entire set for a fixed price as well.

https://www.cardkingdom.com/

Even the gaming stores by my place have displays with singles for sale at fixed prices.

You can remove any chance in the buying process, thus by the definition of gambling, ie (paying for a chance at a return) remove the gambling from MTG.

How about for loot boxes?

Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

I can go to card kingdom and buy singles or an entire set for a fixed price as well.

Even the gaming stores by my place have displays with singles for sale at fixed prices.

You can remove any chance in the buying process, thus by the definition of gambling, ie (paying for a chance at a return) remove the gambling from MTG.

lol...

you can also 'remove all the chance in the buying processs' by just buying the car instead of pulling the lever.

are you serious right now?

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

lol...

you can also 'remove all the chance in the buying processs' by just buying the car instead of pulling the lever.

It's how reality works. If you remove the chance it's not gambling it's just a purchase.

It's kinda funny that you laugh at how reality works but not all that surprising.

edited December 2017
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

lol...

It's how reality works. If you remove the chance it's not gambling it's just a purchase.

It's kinda funny that you laugh at how reality works but not all that surprising.
    yes I know...LIKE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everything in gambling you can buy individually if you want to which is I might add nearly the legal requirement for it to be gambling.

So you seem to be suggesting that selling Magic of the Gathering cards in a deck should be regulated as gambling but indivdually sold is fine.

think please

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

lol...

everything in gambling you can buy individually if you want to which is I might add nearly the legal requirement for it to be gambling.

So you seem to be suggesting that selling Magic of the Gathering cards in a deck should be regulated as gambling but indivdually sold is fine.

think please
    So I guess loot box exclusives just don't exist in your world?

Maybe you should try thinking.

Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

lol...

think please

when you gamble for prizes (or cards) those prizes are items you can buy in the market as well. cars, boats, RV, free dinners.

are you seriouslly going to go down the road of 'well paid lootboxes is gambling because its 1. paid 2. contains items that do not exist in anywhere else on the planet other than that universe'

really? then that would mean all traditional gambling is well...NOT gambling

think about it some more 

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

lol...

think please

when you gamble for prizes (or cards) those prizes are items you can buy in the market as well. cars, boats, RV, free dinners.

are you seriouslly going to go down the road of 'well paid lootboxes is gambling because its 1. paid 2. contains items that do not exist in anywhere else on the planet other than that universe'

think about it some more 
    No.

Gambling is paying for a chance at a return. If you eliminate the chance it's not gambling.

I don't know how to make that any clearer.

Also stop putting words in my mouth.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Nilden said:

The reality is there are plenty of products sold this way... Look at how the Star Wars and LOTR minis were sold by WOTC, all were random there wasn't really any official way (I'm aware of) to get specific options, you simply had to buy more boxes until you got the ones you wanted. IN that case everything was exclusive to the method. Sure there are plenty of ways to get specific ones now through resellers (mostly because the games fell out of style), but they don't even officially produce them anymore so that's neither here nor there. 

The reality really seems to be that people don't like loot-boxes in games so they try and separate them from everything else sold in this manner (mostly by inserting widely held phobias into the discussion). Like they're the only predatory products sold this way... (that kids like)....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Nilden said:

think about it some more 
    No.

Gambling is paying for a chance at a return. If you eliminate the chance it's not gambling.

which is exactly why Magic Gathering Decks are gambling according to you.

The fact that you can buy those cards individuallly doesnt remotely matter.

If I am gambling for a car, I can buy that car individually as well
    If I am gambling for a dinner, I can buy that dinner individually as well
    If I am gambling for a boat, I can buy that boat indivdually as well.

and exclusivity doesnt matter either.

its not like its only gambling if that boat I am gambling for doesnt exist anywhere else

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

think about it some more 
    No.

its not like its only gambling if that boat I am gambling for doesnt exist anywhere else
    So let me get this right...

The very essence of not gambling, ie being able to purchase something at a fixed price, "doesnt remotely matter"?

If you remove the chance it's not gambling.

This just further illustrates my point earlier in the thread that you have no idea what gambling is.

Oh and exclusivity does matter if it prevents resale at a fixed price, you know going back to the whole without chance it's not gambling point.

Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

think about it some more 
    No.

The very essence of not gambling, ie being able to purchase something at a fixed price, "doesnt remotely matter"?

This just further illustrates my point earlier in the thread that you have no idea what gambling is.

Oh and exclusivity does matter if it prevents resale at a fixed price, you know going back to the whole without chance it's not gambling point.
    you are trying to suggest that ALL conventional gambling is in fact not gambling.

that is your argument.

Because I can buy that boat with cash if I want to instead of gambling for it, that makes it not gambling to you

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

think about it some more 
    No.

you are trying to suggest that ALL conventional gambling is in fact not gambling.

that is your argument.

Because I can buy that boat with cash if I want to instead of gambling for it, that makes it not gambling to you
    Yeah and your saying removing the chance doesn't matter.

You know the very thing that makes it gambling and not just a purchase.

Nilden said:

that is your argument.

Yeah and your saying removing the chance doesn't matter.

You know the very thing that makes it gambling and not just a purchase.
    I am not remotely following you but let me just say it again and all day

Almost everything in real gambling can be purchased outside of gambling EXACTLY the same as magic of the gathering cards....EXACTLY the same.

do you need a picture of someone trying to win a boat?