Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Would you play Star Citizen Universe in Single Player if you could?

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Comments

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    I thought they were going to let people host their own servers? At least I think I remember something like that.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It will probably be addressed officially at a later time.  I don't think CIG has mentioned it since the kick starter.  So speculation is running wild.  I think it has become a thing because the latest wave of testers are running into a lot of ganking.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2017
    I wouldn't.
    My main reason is that I backed it for the MP aspect of the game, the MMO.

What I like is things like co-op play, multi-crew, guild-play (the EvE'ish part of SC), because when that's mixed with emergent play in such SC's rather sandboxy approach to its progression and world, then you can play for as long as you want doing what you want and like.

Playing with friends just increases the playability of the game for me, and when you play alone you depend in the game's PvE to enjoy the game.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    No I wouldn't. I want a singleplayer like Sq42 is meant to be.
    Gorwe
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Something interesting I found while reading the threads leads me to ask: how does ship ownership work when you land on a planet?

Say, you grab a mission, fly to a rock/moon/planet, get out, and somebody is waiting there for folks like you to instantly headshot using a railgun.  You have to respawn, but from what I understand it wouldn't be respawning on the ship.  The ship would remain landed in place.  So how do you retrieve said ship?  If you fly another ship there to get it, how do you get both ships back to whatever spaceport you usually keep the ships you're not currently using?  Somewhere secure?

What kind of system is built in to help prevent the player who just ganked you from immediately breaking into your ship to fly it away before you can return?
    Octagon7711

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited November 2017
    The appeal of an mmo is that players move and interact in a such a way that makes the game feel alive.

So therefore if its an 'mmo' that is single player, I would want the same thing to happen with the NPC's.

Of course that means it has AI capable of doing that, and I am not expecting to chat with NPCs but at least the mechanics exist that they replicate human players in pvp, pve, economy, movement, changes in alliances ( in game events) which could be politics of the game etc

Other wise an mmo would feel quite empty without all the bustle of normal players

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Orinori said:
    I thought they were going to let people host their own servers? At least I think I remember something like that.
    It was a very specific part of the Kickstarter project.  They are also encouraging modding, which would be limited to aesthetics and maybe some UI stuff akin to WoW if they don't allow privately hosted servers.

I think it would disappoint some folks from the oldest pool of backers, as it was put on the back burner after the funding blew up.  Not sure how many would be up in arms, but since it was a pretty specific feature of the Kickstarter, I think they would have a strong case for justifying their displeasure if release doesn't feature an option to at least host a smaller-scale private server.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Orinori said:
    I thought they were going to let your friends jump into SQ42 to play with you or against you...

I thought the game was due out in 2014...

I thought that Star Marine was going to be better than any CoD or Battlefield game...

Sadly, much of what was discussed back in 2012 is no longer happening.

ZenJellyOdeezeeEponyxDamor
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Does anyone really think it is feasible for players to host what the game has now morphed into?
    The original design is something that might have been hostable but I am highly sceptical it is something they can offer with what they are doing now.
    Kyleran
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LOL theyre playing a single player game now basically. If more than 5 people join a server it crashes (yeah I know its a 'stress' test).  The actual performance we can watch on streams totally debunks all that 'they had 100 players on a server' nonsense form a few days ago.

The lag on stations and near stations is so bad that even when a guy seems to be alone he cant do anything. NPCs walking in place, rubberbanding through doors and on ladders, and then the inevitable server crash.
    Now I think about it more I don't think it was put on the back burner, I think I remember CR backing away from it in one of the 10ftc. Will see if i can find.
    17:24 mins - Only a small scaled down version will be available, as murph points out 'it's just not possible'

Technically people literally can almost self-host themselves under the so-called "offline-mode", but Star Citizen itself moved from being something more like Freelancer (server setups like Ark Survival, Conan Exiles, etc...), where private servers and even modding was more viable, to be more of a full-blown MMO, and that imposes changes to the private servers and modding.

So private servers and modding even I could see happening, but of of the "EA" section of SC, Star Marine, Arena Commander, custom maps, modding, self-hosted, cool beans.  Now the PU that's a whole different monster, there are many servers linked to make it work properly.
  • roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185
    oh yes I would play single player, an online option would be nice but if the gankers get to out of control, it ruins the entire game. losing a ship once in a while isn't a big deal but when it causes you to not ever progress, I quit the game. I liked eve, but the gankers were to much, I couldn't do anything so I stopped playing. likely to happen with this too if gankers ruin it. 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Torval said:
    Sure I would, but I'd rather there just be a coop version. I don't mind seeing people but I'm not doing EVE 2.0. I'm just not interested.

I'll likely get Squadron 42 if it turns out the controls work well with controller or m/kb. But if it's like E:D where you nearly need to script a custom interface and use flight sim hardware, then no.

Star Citizen sounds a lot like MegaTraveller in many ways. I'd love a single player version of MegaTraveller. I'd love a coop version more. My pvp days are over.
    Yeah, co op play and private servers were big pluses for me, early on.   I could have even seen things like guilds getting together, setting up their own universes and happily playing PvP, but with other, chosen, PvP guilds.   Now all canceled or backburnered.

Though if I put my debate team hat on, that could be spun as a plus, since CIG usually only adds stuff, overcomplication being the standard.  Here, they actually acknowledged something as too difficult or complicated to try to do. 

Or then again, maybe they decided they'd lose money on it....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Most MMOs are already singleplayer games. Any of them could add a singleplayer feature and no one would notice a difference. So I don't see any issue with this.
    Odeezee

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    If I want single player, i will play Squadron 42 and campaign add-ons.

Do I want offline single player like in E:D ? No.

Do i want servers without gankers ?  I can wait for private servers.

Do i want a multiplayer sandbox ? HELL YES !

This is Alpha. If ganking gets out of control - THAT IS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR ! To test it, find all the exploits, balance. If ganking is a problem, no fire zones and rapid response NSCs can solve that problem. Ganking out in the no control zones - sure ... that IS the pirate zone and security is what you create yourself.

In E:D those station guns blow you out of the sky even for loitering too long over a platform, let alone ram someone else or starting to shoot. In EVE Concord NSC police is here in seconds in some cases.

Have fun

ZenJelly
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Gorwe said:
    Please revise your poll. The question's super ambiguous. What does it mean "SC Singleplayer"? Something like Squadron or something like an empty server MMO? Because those two are RADICALLY different!
    Not my poll.
    Gorwe

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    the most telling thing about that poll is that after more than 2 days it has less than 500 responses. For something that has 212 trillion citizens that seems like a low number to me.
    KyleranGorweBabuinix
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    rodarin said:
    the most telling thing about that poll is that after more than 2 days it has less than 500 responses. For something that has 212 trillion citizens that seems like a low number to me.
    Good point, even around here you can create a "SC sucks because....." thread and get thousands of replies.

;)

I wouldn't want a single player mode, seems to defeat purpose of such a game, but allowing for private servers even if limited to a small number of players or a reduced in size playing area or limited features would be appealing to those not willing to become "prey" when they play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

rodarin said:
    Well spotted, it does show that most Star Citizens do not care about the issue enough to even look at it, like myself!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited November 2017
    Erillion said:
    If I want single player, i will play Squadron 42 and campaign add-ons.

Do I want offline single player like in E:D ? No.

Do i want servers without gankers ?  I can wait for private servers.

Do i want a multiplayer sandbox ? HELL YES !

This is Alpha. If ganking gets out of control - THAT IS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR ! To test it, find all the exploits, balance. If ganking is a problem, no fire zones and rapid response NSCs can solve that problem. Ganking out in the no control zones - sure ... that IS the pirate zone and security is what you create yourself.

In E:D those station guns blow you out of the sky even for loitering too long over a platform, let alone ram someone else or starting to shoot. In EVE Concord NSC police is here in seconds in some cases.

Have fun

I get what you are saying, but EVEs anti ganking controls were thought out at the very beginning of it's design, and even then players surprised the dev team with their ingenuity so the mechanics have required frequent and careful correction to maintain the desired balance.

At that, for some its still too aggressive, someone in this thread mentioned quitting because they couldnt deal with the gankers, which likely you and I both find strange as we know how to avoid being ganked, and know players who have never had it happen even across several years of playing time.

So if the Dev team of SC hasn't already built behavior control features into their game design, I don't believe reacting after the fact will prove very satisfactory.

I think the only type of solution many players will accept is PVE only server, or the ability to flag for PVP when they wish to  (And some never will) as this is what is likely driving the request for a single player mode more than anything. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Good point, even around here you can create a "SC sucks because....." thread and get thousands of replies.
    Nah, the SC spectrum is more active and populated, than this entire website really. That thread gets +200 replies and 500 votes in 2 days is something you need to start a pretty nasty flame war here in the SC forum to achieve close to those numbers, with like only 5 posters. :gg
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Obviously we all have different wants from each genre but in this type of game the main draw is the ships,they basically surround every aspect of the game.
    So the fun and immersive feeling would have been to live a life within the world and slowly earn enough to build my own ships,through crafting and trading,you know a word i already mentioned>>>IMMERSION.

So no matter what type of game,single player or MP they have already ruined the very core essence of the game as well removed the immersive part of living in a world.

So to me all that is left is pvp,i am not much into pvp unless done really well,something this type of game cannot do nor could anyone do pvp well in a ship game.They are on the right track to getting somewhat good with multiplayer ships,to me that is a no brainer,again if you want to feel a true immersive and realistic feel inside a ship.

So yeah the greed..need..for money has already ruined any version of the game,that old saying,money is the root of all that is evil will always be true.Obviously all devs need money but there are and have proven ways to accomplish it without ruining the game,CIG didn't go that routre.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> and slowly earn enough to build my own ships,through crafting and trading >>>

What stops you from doing that ?

Or is the thing that really galls you that OTHERS already HAVE the ships YOU want ?

Have fun