Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE should take a note from Mythic....

BobiinBobiin Member Posts: 198

Mythic just recently released "classic" servers for Dark Age of Camelot.  Basically a server without the expansion that ruined the magic of the game.

Wouldn't it be great if SOE released a classic EQ server.  With the original everquest, Ruins of Kunark, and Scars of Velious. 

IMO, the second Shadows of Luclin was released, EQ started to go downhill.  And Planes of Power was the finishing strike.

PLEASE SOE, release a classic server so i can stop playing crappy games and go back to the one I used to love.

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--
-- Nytur 39 Conjuror of Lucan D'lere (Quit due to low populations)
-- Currently playing WoW while waiting for vanguard
Explorer 66%
Socializer 60%
Killer 53%
Achiever 20%

PLEASE SOE MAKE A CLASSIC EQ SERVER. Shadow of luclin was a prick in EQs side. PoP Was a gun to the face.

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

/agree WTF is with this site! I tried to edit this friggin post 10 times and it wont update....UGH

Anyway I would be all over that idea. With revamped graphics it would be money in the bank.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I don't disagree really, but I do see problems.  Would that mean that there would be no AA's?  What would the level cap be, 50, 60, 65, 70?  Would you rollback spells and skill caps?  Buff limits? Equipment?  UI's? Guild tools?

There is an aweful lot of good stuff that came out for player development from SoL on.  Although I would love to go back in time to replay during the kunark and velious eras, there are also things I wouldn't want from those times.  Every "good" zone being cram packed with people is the biggest downside.  And what about the endgame?

EQ is much different from DAOC in that the expansion that "ruined" DAOC actually ruined game balance.  SoL, PoP, LDoN, etc did not imbalance EQ, they just made it more tedious.  But EQ is primarily PvE while DAOC's endgame was not ToA, it is RvR.

Anyway, you get my drift... I would be sceptical of SOE implementing a program/server like "classic" EQ.

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424
    Thing i will like about it is all the noob zones will be popular

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

There have been a ton of threads requesting this at the SOE forums over the years. Basically a server with a level cap of 50 and no expansions past Velious. If you wanted to advance further you could always transefer to a new server once you hit the cap.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I dunno alot of people thought Velious sucked. The original and kunark wouldnt be bad though.. Bring back the magic of Seb :P

Level cap of 60, lose all aa's, bring back hell levels and i'd probably go back. I always had the most fun running around seb. Something about trains from hell and fighting over camps.. that was what i loved and i have no idea why. I used to hate it but now i see the magic of the game comes from all that interaction with other players. Velious is where mudflation really started to take off thats why i say lose it too. Kunark was more in line with the original and i think was the best expansion any game has ever put out. I bet you'll see it soon. Mythic's project is a big success and SOE does pay attention to what the other guys are doing and how well it goes.

• Sephiroth9Sephiroth9 Member Posts: 127
    That would be awesome.  That might even be enough to bring me back to the game if they did that.  I think the expansion that killed EQ was PoP.  Sure the elemental planes were cool and all but they killed the whole epic feel of the game with the plane of knowledge. 2 minutes and i was halfway across the world...
  • icebox1486icebox1486 Member Posts: 19

i dunno about going all the way back to like pre SOL although they where my favorite why not just make a new server with no character transfer or anything just a regular server where everyone has to start out from scratch nowt hat would be fun

but nobody would play on it because they already got high level on other servers and they couldn't twink them selfs out

on the other hand maybe alotta people would join just to see who would get the highest the fastest

who know i think SOE, if your listening, should try this it would be great fun

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by icebox1486
    i dunno about going all the way back to like pre SOL although they where my favorite why not just make a new server with no character transfer or anything just a regular server where everyone has to start out from scratch nowt hat would be fun
    but nobody would play on it because they already got high level on other servers and they couldn't twink them selfs out
    on the other hand maybe alotta people would join just to see who would get the highest the fastestwho know i think SOE, if your listening, should try this it would be great fun

They did do that. That was what Stromm was. Of course, there are high level people there now. It was a pretty popular idea.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• icebox1486icebox1486 Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by neschria

Originally posted by icebox1486

on the other hand maybe alotta people would join just to see who would get the highest the fastest
    who know i think SOE, if your listening, should try this it would be great fun

They did do that. That was what Stromm was. Of course, there are high level people there now. It was a pretty popular idea.

Ahh yea totally forgot about that server

but now that i am thinking about it would be great to go back to the good ol'days

2 bags at torch 2 hail me!!!!   or when druids could make mass amount of plat by porting ahh the good ole days and when you could go to oasis and actually get a group

*starts crying*

• Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

Theres no doubt in my mind that I would come back. The main reason would be because it would bring back memories. Selling in EC. Seeing Nro and Oasis FILLED with people. I think if EQ would do this, alot would come back...at least for a couple of months, just for the memories. I wish we could do something...::;^|::

Edit - look at the success of them too...