Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hawaiian Legislators Call EA Loot Boxes a 'Predatory Practice' - Star Wars: Battlefront II - MMORPG.

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    SBFord said:

I don't mind loot boxes if they are earnable through game play but honestly believe that they should not ever be sold. Maybe this will see a return to box price / subscription-based games with full expansions, large DLC etc. rather than loot boxes to keep games funded.
    I sure hope so.
    GdemamiYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    BruceYee said:
    Wow, they really didn't mince words in that Hawaii press conference.

There's really not much gaming companies will be able to say to counter cause it'll just make em' look like scoundrels trying to prey on kids.
    They can't say anything because they do prey on kids, even if unintentionally.

And I don't think they can't say either they didn't know about the impacts this has, the profitability just spoken louder.

Looks to me like you are the one behind the times. Sometimes we realize that a behavior we used to tolerate is no longer acceptable. You should catch up to the modern age and stop living in the past where loot box gambling was prevalent.
    Indeed, it's like the old ages where there was no control of anything, now there is and one of the biggest lines of the protections that hit the consumer is the layer of information and regulation of the companies, otherwise it's "trust nothing and nobody" in the "every man by himself" land.
    laxieGdemami
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

TaishiFox said:

Makes me laugh how they make this all about kids when I highly doubt the majority of SW:BF2 players are infact a minor! Part of the reason why not many kids will be even playing this is because it's too hardcore for them to grasp their tiny minds on, they'd probably rage quit after a few deaths! Also, not every, or many, parents are that niave to pay for ingame loot boxes for a game they just splashed out £50 (or whatever it is in your currency) on a game for their child!
    That being said I'd love to know where things go from here, I mean there's plenty of companies who's already done stuff like this so are they going to target them next? I personally think this is rediculous cus it seems to me that just because EA rereleased a franchise and added loot boxes to it that media and certain people of the community are attacking it.  Get with the programme people, this is the modern age, its been going on for a long time now, kind of too late to just wave a finger at one of em just because they dared to take a step further!

Looks to me like you are the one behind the times. Sometimes we realize that a behavior we used to tolerate is no longer acceptable. You should catch up to the modern age and stop living in the past where loot box gambling was prevalent.
    Well sad fact is when ya tolerate bad behaviour for a long time sometimes the damage is beyond repair and there's little you can do about it.  It might change things gor the future but fact is people shouldn't ignore things in the first place and start belly aching when its all too late and too damn obvious. However either way my main point here was to make that this article is utter nonsense and trying to find a scapegoat such as children is ludicrus, infact I find it damn hillarious!
    YashaXSlapshot1188infomatz

imageimage

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    If these laws get pushed into NA, Korean games might end up being fun!
    anemo
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

JeroKane said:

"
    PS. Just have a look at that document from ActiVision that got leaked on the internet! Pretty much confirms how games are designed these days. It's sickening! :(

These companies are trying to push the limit and keep pushing to see how far they can go, until consumers finally stand up and protest!

Battlefront II isn't the only controversy around this. The recent launched title NBA2K18 from 2K received a lot of backlash too due to how invasive micro transactions have become in that game!

what document? :o gonna look for it
    Oh yeah remember the thing Blizzard / Activision patented to make people more likely to buy into this loot boxes and such? 

That was already taking loot boxes to the next level on the works, hopefully, this steps in on time to ruin their plans.
    GdemamiYashaX
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I think EA should donate $100,000,000,000,000,000 to pay for all the damages and ramifications of such a predatory practice.

WRONG. There should be no repercussions for behavior or actions before any legislation created after SWBF2. Besides, EA is NOT the first to use microtransactions or loot boxes. As many have said, this has been going on for YEARS in mobile gaming and became rampant in the last 3-4 years in online games.

TaishiFoxYashaX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

TaishiFox said:

TaishiFox said:

Makes me laugh how they make this all about kids when I highly doubt the majority of SW:BF2 players are infact a minor! Part of the reason why not many kids will be even playing this is because it's too hardcore for them to grasp their tiny minds on, they'd probably rage quit after a few deaths! Also, not every, or many, parents are that niave to pay for ingame loot boxes for a game they just splashed out £50 (or whatever it is in your currency) on a game for their child!
    That being said I'd love to know where things go from here, I mean there's plenty of companies who's already done stuff like this so are they going to target them next? I personally think this is rediculous cus it seems to me that just because EA rereleased a franchise and added loot boxes to it that media and certain people of the community are attacking it.  Get with the programme people, this is the modern age, its been going on for a long time now, kind of too late to just wave a finger at one of em just because they dared to take a step further!

Well sad fact is when ya tolerate bad behaviour for a long time sometimes the damage is beyond repair and there's little you can do about it.  It might change things gor the future but fact is people shouldn't ignore things in the first place and start belly aching when its all too late and too damn obvious. However either way my main point here was to make that this article is utter nonsense and trying to find a scapegoat such as children is ludicrus, infact I find it damn hillarious!
    Some of us have said these lootboxes were wrong from day 1...
    And trying to say the "damage is beyond repair" is silly.  

From where I sit, the nonsense is sitting there spouting off that we should just sit back and tolerate this shit because it's existed in the past. 

The age age of games being built around lootbox gambling is coming to an end.  I suggest you catch up to the rest of us.

YashaXGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited November 2017
    SBFord said:

WRONG. There should be no repercussions for behavior or actions before any legislation created after SWBF2. Besides, EA is NOT the first to use microtransactions or loot boxes. As many have said, this has been going on for YEARS in mobile gaming and became rampant in the last 3-4 years in online games.

Well, if regulations hits, the games currently running service with loot boxes will have to play under the new regulations. It's because this is not one "one-time" thing and it's a ongoing service so in that aspect this will hit every game that released before the regulation that still runs service from that day forward I think.

Not as repercussions ofc, but still not one exclusion from whatever comes.

From where I sit, the nonsense is sitting there spouting off that we should just sit back and tolerate this shit because it's existed in the past. 

The age age of games being built around lootbox gambling is coming to an end.  I suggest you catch up to the rest of us.
    For starters I never said to sit back and tolerate it, I think you've all been doing plenty of that already, minus the cry babies that keep coming back to stir the pot whenever they feel like some sort of personal victim.

As for loot boxes being bought to an end? LOL! Whatever keeps your deluded little world happy man. A little article about kids isn't going to sway this, its nonsense and if anyone had half a brain to see that they wouldn't pass it as a viable reason to put a stop to it.
    YashaX

imageimage

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    People are really irrational at times. I think you can't just say "Be responsible for your actions." and leave it at that. We learn to use whatever environment is around us - if it is a poor environment, people will adopt poor practises.

Just last week, I was in a meeting at university about a new piece of research. If you show people a "game" where they have to click different pictures and uncover money behind them, they will create complex beliefs and strategies about what is going on - even though the game is completely random. About half of the people will form a belief and strongly follow it (e.g. "If the dog is on the right, it always gives a big payout), when in fact the "game" gives you a completely random payout, no matter what you click.

If a system is designed to make people buy loot boxes, it will do just that. You can't count on them seeing through the veil and making calculated decisions. Not because people are dumb and don't understand RNG, but because our minds operate differently in the heat of the moment.

Kids definitely are most susceptible. Long-term planning and valuing long-term outcomes is one of the last functions to evolve in your brain. Young kids can't do this at all, and the wiring in your brain related to these tasks is still heavily reorganising until your early 20s.

While I'm all for personal responsibility and individualistic values, I also see the power of the environment.
    MaxBaconYashaXGdemami
    TaishiFox said:

For starters I never said to sit back and tolerate it, I think you've all been doing plenty of that already, minus the cry babies that keep coming back to stir the pot whenever they feel like some sort of personal victim.

As for loot boxes being bought to an end? LOL! Whatever keeps your deluded little world happy man. A little article about kids isn't going to sway this, its nonsense and if anyone had half a brain to see that they wouldn't pass it as a viable reason to put a stop to it.
    People have said the same as you about many behaviors and products in the past.  Trust me, it's not the rest of us living in a deluded little world.  I suggest you go log into whatever your favorite games are and stockpile your lootboxes.  Maybe if you ration them you can make them last a while.

YashaXGdemamiinfomatz

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Huh, politicians latching onto something current and widely oversimplified and exaggerated in order to advance their own political agenda/popularity and alternate agendas?

Who'd have thunk? 
    TaishiFoxGdemami
  • TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

TaishiFox said:

JeroKane said:

TaishiFox said:

Oh so now its the gaming industry's fault for bad parenting not checking on their kids or making sure they actually get a proper lunch? or even that the school didn't even make sure they did?! Give me a break! If a shool even suspected a child wasn't getting their lunch they'd contact the parents immediately and probably blame them assuming they weren't even providing them the means to do so! 

LOL! /FACEPALM

First, we are not talking about 6 year olds that have to bring their own packed lunch and/or get lunch served at school, included in the school fees.

We are talking about young teenagers above 12 years old. Then you often have schools with thousands of kids and big cantina's!

You can't expect the school to check on every single kid to see if he/she buys and eats lunch nor expect parents to go to the school during lunch time to see if their kids are buying and eating lunch!
    Teenagers at hat that age often also leave the school ground to eat lunch in town, since school cantinas aren't exactly cheap these days.

So that is just stupid and ridiculous statement you make! One of the most stupid comments I have read in a while.

Well when I were in highschool (age 12+) we did infact have lunch served at school, not sure if thats changed now but if it has then that is just stupid in itself. Of course some students even bought packed lunch, yes, age 12+ ! Not 6 year olds! I do actually know the difference and when it comes to lunches, for me at least, this was never a difference all the way to 16!  Also YES I DO expect schools to check! Its part of their responsablity! Hell when I was in highschool I started going to my friend's house for lunch without bothering to tell a teacher, my mum knew but guess what? School soon called her when they noticed I was missing from the cafeteria! Of course I wasn't punished but I certainly found out about it! THAT is the way things should be done!

Honestly? You call my statement stupid and rediculous?! I donno what planet you live on pal but your world seems more idiotic than my statement if thats the kind of society you live in where they don't take responsablity and quick to blame it on others due to their own flaws and faults! And don't tell me about the cost of food at school, thats the governemnts fault not the gaming industry.

Fact is this is all about the cry babies who don't want to spend their hard earned cash on a game, which is quite understandable, where as someone else is more than willing to and gets the upper hand! Sad fact is that someone decided to make it about an entirely different audience since they can't simply claim they are victimised for their own issues where they'd clearly need to think for themselves.  "Oh! I know! kids have mentality issues where they simply can't think for themselves and are easily manipulated with pier pressure, lets say its all about them because people give a damn about that more than they do about us!". Like I said, this is nonsense, give me some real facts!

Not all schools check. When you have a thousand plus kids in a big city school, with a few underpaid teachers, its just not going to happen.

Loot boxes are gambling, plain and simple. Yes parents should check, but corporations should know better than to market towards children. People wouldn't sit idly by when Joe Camel makes an add toward 12 year olds.

You cant just tell someone with a gambling addiction not to buy it and get over it.

Are you the type that would tell someone with depression to just suck it up buttercup?
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited November 2017
    My first lootbox experience: ArcheAge.

My first RNG lootbox! It felt like my birthday! I'm sitting in my living room birthday chair... awaiting for my favorite Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake. However, instead of my mom presenting me with my candle-lit bliss, dad stomps in holding a giant c0ckmeat sandwich.

This is what it felt like opening up my first RNG lootbox. Why didn't I get the OP trading Donkey that Legolazzzzzz just opened up moments ago!?!?!?! NEVER AGAIN!
    People have said the same as you about many behaviors and products in the past.  Trust me, it's not the rest of us living in a deluded little world.  I suggest you go log into whatever your favorite games are and stockpile your lootboxes.  Maybe if you ration them you can make them last a while.
    Wow, such a juvinile response.  I was wrong, you clearly or a victim, of ya own damn mentality! This is EXACTLY the kind of example of a immature cry baby.  When the odds are pitted against you with logic you resort to attempts to patronise and mock me with childish comments? Seriously, the issue is not the industry, its people like you.  Welp, I'll play your little mind game and stoop to your level with this rseponse: sure! I'll go play some SW:BF2 cus I support the games you hate! :-P Death to the Gamer Republic! All hail the EA Empire! XD  Also, yes people have said the same because fact is it never changes and you never stop with ya cry baby BS and coming up with new excuses to try to sway the way things work in your own selfish favours. Either way this hasn't changed and probably never will and pathetic reasons such as these won't change that!
    MaxBaconYashaX

imageimage

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    immodium said:
    JeroKane said:

I rather have this, since I can actually enjoy the game and pay a fix low monthly price. Same as I do now with FFXIV! without constantly running in a pay wall!

But you are hitting a pay wall; if you don't pay, you don't play.

It's got nothing to do with progression IMO. If people enjoy a game they are more than willing to pay additional fees to play.

However forcing them to is going to dent your player base by a huge margin. Whether through subscription/micro transactions.

If you're forced to pay £15 in the cash shop each month to carry on playing the game how is it any different than paying a mandatory sub?

I get the RNG element to loot-boxes, I'm just saying hypothetically, if you got what you wanted/needed to progress by spending the same amount you would on a sub what's the difference?
    This is an illogical argument.  We are talking about gambling with lootboxes where you don't get what you pay for, you get a chance at getting what you pay for.  Big difference between paying $15 dollars and getting everything the game has to offer vs paying for a chance to get all it offers.  Cash shops should never include anything that hinders progress other than maybe a xpac, etc...they should be for cosmetics only.
    Gdemami
    TaishiFox said:
    Wow, such a juvinile response.  I was wrong, you clearly or a victim, of ya own damn mentality! This is EXACTLY the kind of example of a immature cry baby.  When the odds are pitted against you with logic you resort to attempts to patronise and mock me with childish comments? Seriously, the issue is not the industry, its people like you.  Welp, I'll play your little mind game and stoop to your level with this rseponse: sure! I'll go play some SW:BF2 cus I support the games you hate! :-P Death to the Gamer Republic! All hail the EA Empire! XD  Also, yes people have said the same because fact is it never changes and you never stop with ya cry baby BS and coming up with new excuses to try to sway the way things work in your own selfish favours. Either way this hasn't changed and probably never will and pathetic reasons such as these won't change that!
    For the record go and re-read your own posts before accusing someone else of patronizing and trying to mock with childish comments.  Like I said, go stock up... lootboxes are soon "Going Out Of Business".
    YashaX

For the record go and re-read your own posts before accusing someone else of patronizing and trying to mock with childish comments.  Like I said, go stock up... lootboxes are soon "Going Out Of Business".
    Give an example before trying to call someone out little man else your statements mean very little.
    MaxBaconYashaX

imageimage

• virgommovirgommo Member UncommonPosts: 43
    edited November 2017
    You do realize this has absolutely nothing to do with kids right? Bringing kids into this is just a political argument so that the sound bites play right. Anything of this nature needs momentum, and the children angle is the push that's being used. They don't care about the predatory nature of this on kids or adults. In the end, what everything is always about...money. Putting regulatory effects on this type of industry means a TON of new money for the government.
    YashaXadderVXI
    edited November 2017
    k61977 said:
    This is an illogical argument.  We are talking about gambling with lootboxes where you don't get what you pay for, you get a chance at getting what you pay for.  Big difference between paying $15 dollars and getting everything the game has to offer vs paying for a chance to get all it offers.  Cash shops should never include anything that hinders progress other than maybe a xpac, etc...they should be for cosmetics only.
    Because those willing to pay shouldn't be allowed to progress farther than yourself, I mean how dare they right? Jesus why can't people open their eyes and get a damn self check?! Ya not the only person playing the game, there are thousands that can and will advance ahead of you and if someone wants to use their hard earned money to gain an advantage who are we really to deny them of that? Honestly this kind of stuff is just too selfish and self rightous over whether it should or shouldn't exist.  In my opinion paying a F2P game for P2W is no different than someone paying a subscription except for the advantages, although chances are the F2P game rate is lowered to encourage that so no real difference there either really.  I actually understand their point of view cus fact is you're paying a monthly fee therefore you shouldn't have to contend with RNG content that may force you into playing longer, maybe even for another month, to obtain! THAT is also a form of gambling! It may not be loot boxes but where does it stop? where do you draw a line? Maybe they should just make all games B2P with no microtransactions but then those who can't afford the damn games will start complainining anyway so there's no way to win this! Someone is always going to whine as long as money is involved!
    MaxBaconk61977YashaXinfomatz

imageimage

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    TaishiFox said:

TaishiFox said:

I agree with you on using children as a scapegoats.  Hell there are more young adults/teenagers most likely playing that have addictions.  I remember all the stories coming out when WoW first came on the scene of people/adults losing jobs, dying, ect...and that was just playing a game.  Now you through gambling on top of that type of situation and you have a pot just waiting to boil over.  That is were we are today.  Somehow things need to get fixed, do I think this will fix it most likely not.  This is just the new cool thing to join in on for politicians ect... Unfortunately it will probably just fall to the wayside with nothing really accomplished in the larger scheme of things. 

Overall there is such a thing as gambling addiction and the devs found a way to tap into it, which is disgusting in its own right.  It doesn't matter what age someone is, some people are prone to enjoy the trill of gambling and those are the targets of these types of practices.  It is a predatory practice that does need to be stopped.
    TaishiFoxGdemami
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    immodium said:

It does show how insignificant MMO's are when this practice has been going on for years now.
    Bit of a stretch. No MMO I know of ties progression solely to opening loot boxes. A lot of you don't understand that there's a difference with what EA did. You can't just say EA did the same thing but got the backlash because of how popular they are. They didn't do the same thing. The comparisons to many other games with loot boxes just doesn't hold up. 
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    Dauzqul said:
    If these laws get pushed into NA, Korean games might end up being fun!
    I rather doubt it. One of the main things holding Eastern MMOs back is that the western market is viewed as second class citizens. Publishers are unable to directly make changes and must go to the developers to suggest changes required for the Western gamer.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    virgommo said:
    You do realize this has absolutely nothing to do with kids right? Bringing kids into this is just a political argument so that the sound bites play right. Anything of this nature needs momentum, and the children angle is the push that's being used. In the end, this is what everything is always about...money. Putting regulatory effects on this type of industry means a TON of new money for the government.
    Exactly, I think the last thing the government would do is ban them out right when there's a possibility to generate extra money through tax.

What could happen is obviously regulation, but not in a way to deter publishers to get rid of them.