Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modern LoTR:O

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,726
    edited November 2017
    Dragnelus said:
    [vid]
    So, the elf is LM and your dwarf is a minstrel :wink:  back in the days it would've been an interesting pair to play, but now the mini can dps anything while the bear takes care of the fodder, and if all goes sideways you still can heal.

I think you'll be fine till the Great Barrow (6-man instance), for that you will need a few extra hands. The first section of it you might finish as a duo if you overlevel a bit, since level 20 is the lowest entry, and an LM-mini pair at 22-23 might be enough for the Maze, but will be challenging.
    (luckily you get the Undying title at level 20, you can be "safely" defeated afterwards)
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,285
    edited November 2017
    Po_gg said:
    Dragnelus said:
    [vid]
    So, the elf is LM and your dwarf is a minstrel :wink:  back in the days it would've been an interesting pair to play, but now the mini can dps anything while the bear takes care of the fodder, and if all goes sideways you still can heal.

I think you'll be fine till the Great Barrow (6-man instance), for that you will need a few extra hands. The first section of it you might finish as a duo if you overlevel a bit, since level 20 is the lowest entry, and an LM-mini pair at 22-23 might be enough for the Maze, but will be challenging.
    (luckily you get the Undying title at level 20, you can be "safely" defeated afterwards)
    EDIT: No, it's Minstrel.. I can see the skills now.

I thought Dragnelus bought Moria to play Runekeeper?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Viper482 said:
    This game has a higher risk of being shut down than Wildstar. Which already has a pretty high chance already but its NCsoft special baby so they keep it running despite making less money and has less people than City of Heroes.

The question with LOTRO isn't how long it'll stay up, but how soon it will shut down. And that makes me not want to spend any time at all in it when it can shut down at any moment. Also daybreak games has a high record of shutting down many of their MMOs, even more so than NCsoft.
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer-rob-ciccolini-look-ahead
    Correct, the OP in this post is absolutely clueless. I'm an avid LOTRO player and this game is not going anywhere for a very long time. 10+ years strong already and still going.
    cmacqGhostRider00

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 704
    This game has a higher risk of being shut down than Wildstar. Which already has a pretty high chance already but its NCsoft special baby so they keep it running despite making less money and has less people than City of Heroes.

The question with LOTRO isn't how long it'll stay up, but how soon it will shut down. And that makes me not want to spend any time at all in it when it can shut down at any moment. Also daybreak games has a high record of shutting down many of their MMOs, even more so than NCsoft.
    What the shit did I just read? lol!  
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,056
    Po_gg said:
    Dragnelus said:
    [vid]

EDIT: No, it's Minstrel.. I can see the skills now.

I thought Dragnelus bought Moria to play Runekeeper?
    I did, made one on the rp server. So changed to evernight and tried ministrel and kinda like it! Healing and buffing. And also red some info about healing higher lvls and they said mini is super good. 

We also tried it a bit with her son was fun haha

All the quests are easy, we are lvl 16 now and the quests monsters are around lvl 12. We are helping the dwarfs against goblins. Her crow can solo kill them. 
    Torval

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,322
    edited December 2017
    Viper482 said:

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer-rob-ciccolini-look-ahead
    Lots of developers say things are going great. Charging people for things all the way up to the end and then end things. And sometimes its pre-announced a game is shutting down or servers are going offline. Other times, they shut down without warning even though they said things are fine.

Look at this. Almost no warning, and before they even said things were fine. They even charged people AND recently released on console

https://www.mmorpg.com/marvel-heroes-omega/news/credible-sources-saying-mho-closing-friday-not-december-31st-after-all-1000046491

Sure different company, but that happens quite often. 

Also, here is the nail in the coffin for "no idea what I'm talking about"

Remember City of Heroes? It was making a small amount of money. It was doing pretty well.

DEVELOPERS SAID THINGS WERE FINE

NCsoft comes and closes it down.

So no, I don't care what a company says. They'll always say its doing good and not to fear. Otherwise they know they'll lose even more money since there'd be a mass exodus of everyone but the most hardcore fans. But the developers said that about City of Heroes too, that there wasn't anything to worry about. And that closed down without almost any warning, and unexpected too since it was making profit.
    The situation that LotR in is akin to the one that DAoC/Broadsword: parent company hands over the running of a game to the old crew that it sets up as an independent company.

First:
    The parent company wants to avoid the negativity that could come from closing the game - the type of negativity that NCSoft still gets as a result of closing CoH for example. So - WB in this case - will have wanted to set LotR adrift with every chance of success. Especially as they are stillinvolved in LotR stuff.

And SSG - i.e. the old employees - will have wanted to make sure that LotR wasn't going to fold any time soon. Otherwise they would just take whatever severance package was on the table. This is just common sense.

So LotR (and DAoc) will have been cast loose with "decent" short to medium term prospects. They will have had revenue projections based on the last few years and matched these to future costs going forward. (Remember the servers haven't changed either so no guesswork needed.) 

Second:
    So basically all LotR has to do is to generate enough revenue to cover the wages of the people who now work at SSG; they will want to make some extra if they can but that would be icing. There are no shareholders, no higher management costs, no beand new games to fund.

CoH, on the other hand, had to cover its operating costs, a share of NCSoft management and make a "decent" ROI (return on investment). The small profit it was making was damaging NCSoft's overall earnings percentage so they closed it. Good for their earnings numbers, bad for their image - clearly!

Would they have done the same today? Wildstar is still running afterall. Would they have set CoH up in the same way that DAoC and LotR now operate? We will never know obviously. 

For now though we can be pretty sure that LotR is "OK". Around the 3-5 year mark the question will have greater merit. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Dragnelus said:
    All the quests are easy, we are lvl 16 now and the quests monsters are around lvl 12. We are helping the dwarfs against goblins. Her crow can solo kill them. 
    Yep, that's what @delete5230 used to post about too :wink:  the game is fairly easy even on level, but has way too many xp available, so unless you actively work for it (xp-disabler, quest skipping, etc.) you can easily outlevel your surroundings, and the fairly easy becomes very very easy - especially after the trait tree changes.

Don't worry though, it doesn't mean you need to skip stuff or anything, from about level 20 there are more group quests and hard bosses in the open, the instances are still challenging, and as you advance the xp situation will get better too (even if it only means that in the level 30ish range you outlevel the zone by the time you reach the middle, while in the 70ish range you "only" outlevel it by the time you completed ~80% of the zone, if you always do all the quests).
  • NeblessNebless Member UncommonPosts: 1,256
    edited November 2017
     Also daybreak games has a high record of shutting down many of their MMOs, even more so than NCsoft.
    You do know it's not a Daybreak game right?  SSG just uses some Daybreak services, but they don't run the game.  In the past companies would rent servers or have them handle the sub fee's etc...  But Daybreak has no say in anything the game does.

I always find it amazing anytime something is mentioned about Daybreak (or SOE back in the day) it's all doom and gloom.  It was the same with Pirates of the Burning Seas - 'oh no it's a SOE game it's going to die!!!!'.  Well it wasn't either and is still being run.

All Daybreak is, is a company that can do things for the little guys - need a server?  they'll rent you one.  Need accounting for the store or subs? - we'll do that for you.
    Nothing different than a machine shop hiring an outside accountant to handle their books.  The accountant doesn't have a say in the how the machine shop runs and Daybreak doesn't have a say in games they only support.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• chambordinchambordin Member UncommonPosts: 179
    edited November 2017
    I'm pretty sure daybreak has a more major stake in SSG and the service than they claim, I read on some interview from the time of the turbine-to-SSG transition, given by the head of the ssg studio, rob "severlin" ciccitalianame, that they were not a self managed company, in fact considering that they're well aware of the negativity surrounding daybreak and their closing of games, it stands as obvious that if daybreak wanted to make the acquisition of the lotro and ddo services, that they'd put everyone involved under NDA to not say they're calling the shots.

I can't find the interview at the moment but I think it was one of those either voice interviews or maybe video with skype.

tldr: Daybreak owns SSG, but is keeping the fact confidential to avoid attention that might affect lotro/ddo's business negatively. It would. 

SSG probably gets a lot of leeway though considering both companires are in completely separate zones of the US.

It's also probably a very convoluted legal affair that still involves turbine/warner bros interactive infrastructure.
    Yes Mordor's pricing was higher than it should have been, but I'm willing to put that down to SSG being a smaller company than Turbine was and not being able to soak up costs like Turbine could.

As it is, there's a really good sale going on with all the expac's being on sale and a double point sale.  Per chat most have picked up all expac's with the exception of Mordor for cheap.  People have worked it out that some are going for $1.50 and others $2.00.  Mordor right now is down to 2400 points so $20 I think.

I think SSG did a good move with putting the XP raisers in the store as most interest was in Mordor so buying an XP stone, jumping up to play Mordor brought a lot of players back along with some new ones.

I'm currently working the lower epic quest line, bouncing all over the place (lvl 10 - 50 zones) and everywhere I go I see players.  Chat's full, community is still nice as ever.

I don't see LotRO shutting down anytime soon.
    GhostRider00

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    What are the pay to win items in the shop that Scavenger keeps mentioning? I have thousands of lotro points doing nothing for me. I might as well get super geared through cash shop if i can.
    Sovrath said:

Same developers, but now they are owned by an investment company. Whose only motives is getting as much money as they can. Which means more and more terrible cash shop practices. Which people are already seeing quite a bit of in LOTRO cash shop.
    i believe they are only published by them 
    Correct.  From the official FAQ on the change from Turbine to SSG:  "Standing Stone Games will operate as an independent studio, with global publishing support from Daybreak Games."

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Gorwe said:
    How is it under SSG when compared to Turbine LoTR:O? Did anything change when concerning servers, p(l)ay models etc. Anything new in general(didn't pay attention since SSG opened)?
    As folks mentioned - SSG is Turbine, nothing changed. Some server merge some time ago.
    Mordor expansion saw controversy because of overpricing and delaying LP version (Lotro point owners would wait?). In my opinion, that was really bad decision.
    Developers' philosophy remain the same. Same not-listening to players, same developers that actually do not play as free/premium players from lvl.1. Now we are fobidden any non-soft critics in official forums. Yes, we have many unwise things in Mordor (landscape ash is very rare and they are going to remove it completely; black steel keys were dailies' drop, now they would most likely remove them too).
    No, Lotro won't shut down. Yes, games come and go, every game is doomed to be closed sooner or later. Yet Lotro has its playerbase that is loyal and helpfull. Even smaller games with very low and very loyal population live without thoughts of dying (example: Istaria).
    Payment model - looks like they are following "milk everything we can even ad absurdum" philosophy. They still can't think out of the box: why overprice expansions, when you can give more and more bonuses to VIPs as long as they are VIPs?
    So, Lotro is doing good with the best story I have ever heared and iconic characters/locations + really good population.
    Torval
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,716
    Viper482 said:

Lots of developers say things are going great. Charging people for things all the way up to the end and then end things. And sometimes its pre-announced a game is shutting down or servers are going offline. Other times, they shut down without warning even though they said things are fine.

Look at this. Almost no warning, and before they even said things were fine. They even charged people AND recently released on console

https://www.mmorpg.com/marvel-heroes-omega/news/credible-sources-saying-mho-closing-friday-not-december-31st-after-all-1000046491

Sure different company, but that happens quite often. 

Also, here is the nail in the coffin for "no idea what I'm talking about"

Remember City of Heroes? It was making a small amount of money. It was doing pretty well.

DEVELOPERS SAID THINGS WERE FINE

NCsoft comes and closes it down.

So no, I don't care what a company says. They'll always say its doing good and not to fear. Otherwise they know they'll lose even more money since there'd be a mass exodus of everyone but the most hardcore fans. But the developers said that about City of Heroes too, that there wasn't anything to worry about. And that closed down without almost any warning, and unexpected too since it was making profit.

Maybe I made an error in posting that as my definitive reason for believing you are talking out of your backside. I play the game every day, do you? When was the last time you played? The game is plenty healthy right now, there is absolutely no reason to think it will be shut down. You are just throwing crap out there with nothing to back it up.

I am not saying it can't happen, I am saying the way you are spouting it off is absurd.

Torvalmmolou
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    I'm pretty sure daybreak has a more major stake in SSG and the service than they claim, I read on some interview from the time of the turbine-to-SSG transition, given by the head of the ssg studio, rob "severlin" ciccitalianame, that they were not a self managed company, 

tldr: Daybreak owns SSG, but is keeping the fact confidential to avoid attention that might affect lotro/ddo's business negatively. It would. 

I'd be more willing to believe Turbine/WB still holds a bunch of the paper on LotRO, after all I doubt that Turbine sold the servers to SSG so there's one connection right there.

Not being self-managing?  They're small so yes, but what does that actually mean?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,630
    They need so,e kind of hardcore progression server.. 
    that would fit in well with reaching Mordor

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,670
    They need so,e kind of hardcore progression server.. 
    that would fit in well with reaching Mordor

If they could figure out how to offer a progression server from launch to Mordor using the classic Shadows class skills I think it would be super popular. Players have been asking for years. I'd be surprised if that is workable though.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
    edited November 2017
    I'm not a big fan of this progression server fad of late in games, but in LotRO I'd love to go back 6 (or more) years... before the years of Orion :wink:  and the stat revamps, and definitely before the trait trees. I wouldn't mind walking around till level 35, drawing our own map during exploration (that one I'd love to have again), having the "messy" / more life-like zones before the zone revamps (quests not in a clear order, mob level spikes up and down, bumping into much higher level camps while strolling in a relatively safe area, etc.).

I still play a lot of LotRO, community is great, but old LotRO was much more fitting to me... on the flipside I'd happily accept the missing loot convenience changes, the bigger mails, the customizable inventory bags and the wallet / premium wallet :smiley:

edit: I hated radiance, but I could even endure that again, in a similar scenario. The good would easily outweight the loss of convenience.
    Only problem, Daybreak would definitely step in and pull an EQ-like move on it, or even worse, so:
    mandatory monthly fee, based on the overpriced Mordor maybe not even $15 but $25 per month, no discounts on multiple months in advance, and when they add a new expansion to the progression, they would charge a full price for that again... and SSG would happily assist, the greed is strong with them.
    :sunglasses:
    I wouldn't play a progression server and ditch my characters of 10 years. I do miss the god-like CC my LM wielded. Good times.

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Po_gg said:
    Dragnelus said:
    [vid]

Does dying from cliff counts? I trusted my sister, was making some tea and putted follow on.

Dragnelus said:
    Po_gg said:
    Dragnelus said:
    [vid]

Does dying from cliff counts? I trusted my sister, was making some tea and putted follow on.

I don't know how it works now for sure, but I'm pretty sure death from misadventure counts as a strike against. I've seen some people post in the past that it hasn't affected that title but I've never tried to prove it.

Back in the day when leveling was slower and people ended up in North Downs before 20, it was Trestlebridge people fell to their deaths from. So funny hearing in chat, "OMG I just fell off Trestlebridge and died". The next place that happens more often is Moria, but by then You're level 47+.
    Dragnelus

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Dragnelus said:
    I'm afraid it does (never trust anyone :wink: ). Not much loss though, no virtue or freebie Points for it, you only lost the title - which is just a shadow of its former value nowadays, compared to the early years where it was a real feat.

I think it was before the bridge, most people I know of lost their Undying either
    -at the first group quest while not noticing the little "small fellowship" mark, around level 12, the sheep rescue from the goblin camp or Prunella's umbrella (hobbits and their quests...), defending the shirrif from the brigands in Bree or saving the dwarf from the spider nest,
    -or bumping into a signature and not noticing / knowing the difference. In Ered Luin while doing the Rath Teraig missions, in Bree the Southern Barrow-downs, or even before at around level 14 in the Marshes the eastern part had signatures. Old Forest was a dangerous place too, with high mob density and fast respawn.
    Lots of places between 10 and 20 for a quick defeat :smiley:
    GorweTorval
    I think I found a nice deal! Got for 2 euro, Steely Dawn Cosmetic Armor Set, Evendim Quest Pack, 500 Turbine Points.

That quest pack, is good for when not having sub for lvling between 30-50?

Better than nice deal, even if not counted the cosmetics, Evendim + 500 Points is about 10 euro, maybe 7ish when you catch a sale.

And yep for the other question too, it used to be like a rule of thumb for free players, if you want only one quest pack, go with Evendim. It has a nice storyline, and takes you from 30 (where you finish the free Lone-lands) to 42-43 easily. With a few more levels from skirmishes or crafting or book quests from other zones, since those are free to all, and you reach 45, and you can start Moria.
    (Rivendell story has nice ties to Evendim, and North Downs is fast if you are already above 40.)

The only drawback of Evendim, if you haven't been a VIP before (so you don't have access to swift travel), is that you can't take the swift boat trips across the lake. That's a later added feature, before the f2p change everyone had to swim, or ride around. No wonder the zone was nicknamed Everswim :wink:
    I usually prefer the old ways, those boat trips might be an exception... a few years ago I leveled up a free character just to feel the f2p "lifestyle", and swimming all the time was one of the most annyoying part...
    Sure, I said to myself we did this for years back in the days, but it didn't really help. :wink:
    Dragnelus said:

This is an absolutely ridiculous comment.
    Then why are they adding more and more pay to win items in their cash shop? It can't be because they are gaining players (which pay to win items do the opposite and cause more people to leave). Like I said above, look at the official forums...huge threads full of people angry about the new cash shop items that are pay to win.

And why is an investment company that has no use in being in the game industry, owning a crappy MMO company that has never done that well? And the investment company is actually pretty well known as being very terrible in the first place. 

Anyone who thinks LOTRO will last longer than WoW is full of it and blinded by fanboyism or/and hatred of WoW. But maybe it'll last years (I doubt it, I give it 2-3 years tops), but WoW will still last longer. I also highly doubt Wildstar will last longer than WoW either, but it has a "little" bit higher chance than LOTRO to last at least a bit longer.

Why is the new expansion for LOTRO so expensive? Why to get the high elf you have to pay 90 dollars or wait ages for them to unlock it? WoW never does this, and its another sign they are looking to get any extra income they can.

Daybreak has shut down more MMOs than NCsoft ever has. An investment company will further that goal to make profit if they see any loss in profit. Hence why they are adding terrible pay to win items to the cash shop, to fake increase monthly income.

I'd never play a daybreak game to begin with (or support a terrible investment company), since so many of their games have failed. People complain about NCsoft closing things down (the city of heroes thing was pretty shitty and borderline racist (I think NCsoft hates american based companies(as seen by their treatment of Richard Garriot with Tabula Rasa, and Auto Assault and CoH).

But at least NCsoft seems to sorta try as seen with Wildstar and Guild Wars. Daybreak games would have shut down Wildstar years ago. At least NCsoft keeps it running. And daybreak still by far outnumbers NCsoft in number of game closures, and that was BEFORE being owned by a nasty investment company. And daybreak also is very well known for purposely sabatoging their own games for a profit...BEFORE being owned by an investment company. Remember SWG? WoWified it because they saw dollar signs from blizzard.

Sure LOTRO still has same devs...who...now answer to an investment company.

High elf is 1k lotro in shop. Must say low lvls are pretty croud anytime of the day. Im lvl 15 atm.

And looks decent but im playing it for the quests/story.

Dont mind the the sound we are using skype.
    Well if LOTRO really is indeed that healthy, I should start up again next month.

Some event started pretty croud, and im soo drunk. Thought dwarves could handle it.