Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modern LoTR:O

GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,673
How is it under SSG when compared to Turbine LoTR:O? Did anything change when concerning servers, p(l)ay models etc. Anything new in general(didn't pay attention since SSG opened)?

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member UncommonPosts: 1,176
    Not really with the base game.  SSG is made up of old Turbine dev's so it's kind of a carry on of the old plans. 

Human's and Elves got a make over visual and Hobbit's and Dwarves are coming.  I think that one is a 50/50 split on like, not like.

Mordor was released.  All said great, most said 'what's up with the pricing?'  Some problems(?) with gathering items (ash) to buy stuff vs the 'why is it showing up in lootboxes'.

I think customer service is (still?) a problem, but not sure of too many games where it isn't.

SSG has said they're looking at the next expansions and continue to say there's still alot to explore in ME.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,443
    If they would at least take away the "easy combat", I would love to play this again. 

The free-to-play cash shop will forever keep this game suppressed as a serious game for new players..... But I like it anyway.

Maybe an emulator will come along someday, and make it harder like original.  It would be nice to have abilities that count for strategy. 

It doesn't seem to matter who owns any made over classic, they never seem to do much with them !
  • NeblessNebless Member UncommonPosts: 1,176
    I don't think they could go back to the harder version. 

When it first came out and you had everyone pretty much at the same level range, finding groups wasn't that hard (and for those that weren't there in the beginning, we used to do PUG's to garb the bag out of the bandit area in the man/hobbit stater zone - and those cute little titles you get for not dying by lvl 5 and 10 actually meant something).

Now that's it's thin on the ground (but not empty) in the starter zones and continues that way up towards cap, the easier mode makes sense.  Sure it waters down the game, but better than shutting out everyone who isn't already at cap.
    Viper482Kyleran

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    This game has a higher risk of being shut down than Wildstar. Which already has a pretty high chance already but its NCsoft special baby so they keep it running despite making less money and has less people than City of Heroes.

The question with LOTRO isn't how long it'll stay up, but how soon it will shut down. And that makes me not want to spend any time at all in it when it can shut down at any moment. Also daybreak games has a high record of shutting down many of their MMOs, even more so than NCsoft.
    chambordinViper482winghaven1Hachlathborghive49mmolou

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• chambordinchambordin Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Increasing regular mob difficulty would be a QoL change that I'd welcome, pretty much any class with outleveled quest gear can destroy mobs with incredible ease.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,286
    edited November 2017
    This game has a higher risk of being shut down than Wildstar. Which already has a pretty high chance already but its NCsoft special baby so they keep it running despite making less money and has less people than City of Heroes.

The question with LOTRO isn't how long it'll stay up, but how soon it will shut down. And that makes me not want to spend any time at all in it when it can shut down at any moment. Also daybreak games has a high record of shutting down many of their MMOs, even more so than NCsoft.
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer-rob-ciccolini-look-ahead
    cmacqGhostRider00ReaperUk
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,673
    Viper482 said:

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer-rob-ciccolini-look-ahead
    To be honest, shutdowns did use to happen within a month(or so) from roadmaps. It's (highly) unlikely it'll happen here, but you never know.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 4,614
    I think SSG are trying harder, listening more and, so far, are pushing out content faster. There's more sales as well, which is good for ftp players and paying players since they are on the items themselves and not the purchase of points.

Mordor content is not faceroll easy.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,383
     Im a lifer and been playing since almost the beginning.  The game is not radically different under SSG, after all these are the people formerly working on LOTRO under Turbine.  
    Viper482 said:

Lots of developers say things are going great. Charging people for things all the way up to the end and then end things. And sometimes its pre-announced a game is shutting down or servers are going offline. Other times, they shut down without warning even though they said things are fine.

Look at this. Almost no warning, and before they even said things were fine. They even charged people AND recently released on console

https://www.mmorpg.com/marvel-heroes-omega/news/credible-sources-saying-mho-closing-friday-not-december-31st-after-all-1000046491

Sure different company, but that happens quite often. 

Also, here is the nail in the coffin for "no idea what I'm talking about"

Remember City of Heroes? It was making a small amount of money. It was doing pretty well.

DEVELOPERS SAID THINGS WERE FINE

NCsoft comes and closes it down.

So no, I don't care what a company says. They'll always say its doing good and not to fear. Otherwise they know they'll lose even more money since there'd be a mass exodus of everyone but the most hardcore fans. But the developers said that about City of Heroes too, that there wasn't anything to worry about. And that closed down without almost any warning, and unexpected too since it was making profit.
    mmolou

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,707
    edited November 2017
    To me the game is mostly the same. It hasn't gone down hill and also hasn't miraculously smoothed over all those places where it's a bit lumpy with age. SSG is doing as good as Turbine ever did. I think they're pushing a bit harder for revenue and that's ruffled feathers. I've not played through Mordor yet, but the rest of the game is as it has been from my perspective.
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is an absolutely ridiculous comment.
    xyzercrimeViper482GhostRider00
    Also, Daybreak is an investment company. That is what its owned by, an investment company that has no positive motives to be in the game industry. Why is an investment company even wanting to own a crappy B grade MMO company that sees little success? Soon they see any loss in revenue, they'll close things down in a heart beat. That is what an investment company does. 

On top of that, LOTRO has had a bit of an exodus from their game because new cash shop updates are turning the game more and more pay to win. Look at the official forums, huge threads full of people complaining about the new pay to win products in the cash shop.

Which goes back to being an investment company that they are seeing less and less monthly income, so feel forced to add pay to win mechanics in the cash shop to "fake" increase monthly revenue.

Same developers, but now they are owned by an investment company. Whose only motives is getting as much money as they can. Which means more and more terrible cash shop practices. Which people are already seeing quite a bit of in LOTRO cash shop.
    GdemamiHachlathmmolou

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 5,722

Disagree.

We have no idea how many people play and only estimates of how many played CoH. LotR however is in a different place commercially. Where DAoC is basically which is still going.

When WB wouldn't want the fallout of a "beloved game franchise" closing so soon after casting it adrift; SSG would want to make sure that the game - and their jobs - had a chance. So projected costs (a known) will have been aligned with revenue projections. And it doesn't need to make a profit just pay the folks running it basically.

Wildstar could be run the same way. However in addition to paying the Carbine folks it has to help fund NCSoft. And if it doesn't make "enough of a profit" that will dilute NCSoft's earnings. Which is  pretty much why CoH was closed.

We have no idea how many people play and only estimates of how many played CoH.

Hachlath
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,544
    @TheScavenger sure, nobody can predict the future, and anything can happen. (though Nc-diots is a different league, CoH wasn't their first out-of-the-blue cancel, they've killed AA years before)

But I believe it won't happen soon. LotRO has a pretty good track record of dying since almost 10 years now :smiley:  (https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7240026/#Comment_7240026 ) and it is still here. Worths mention, that Whiteberry drawing is old, after that there were 2 license negotiations (with voices of "license will go, NOW it will close finally"), server close/transfer (ok, that was a crappy move) and a publisher change with the death of AC as a side-effect. Still, LotRO is here.

Truth to be told, I don't like the Mordor pricing, the radiance 2.0 and the lootbox changes currently on BR. Regardless of those, it is still one of my favourite games. Hopefully we can play it for years more.
    Torval

Then why are they adding more and more pay to win items in their cash shop? It can't be because they are gaining players (which pay to win items do the opposite and cause more people to leave). Like I said above, look at the official forums...huge threads full of people angry about the new cash shop items that are pay to win.

And why is an investment company that has no use in being in the game industry, owning a crappy MMO company that has never done that well? And the investment company is actually pretty well known as being very terrible in the first place. 

Anyone who thinks LOTRO will last longer than WoW is full of it and blinded by fanboyism or/and hatred of WoW. But maybe it'll last years (I doubt it, I give it 2-3 years tops), but WoW will still last longer. I also highly doubt Wildstar will last longer than WoW either, but it has a "little" bit higher chance than LOTRO to last at least a bit longer.

Why is the new expansion for LOTRO so expensive? Why to get the high elf you have to pay 90 dollars or wait ages for them to unlock it? WoW never does this, and its another sign they are looking to get any extra income they can.

Daybreak has shut down more MMOs than NCsoft ever has. An investment company will further that goal to make profit if they see any loss in profit. Hence why they are adding terrible pay to win items to the cash shop, to fake increase monthly income.

I'd never play a daybreak game to begin with (or support a terrible investment company), since so many of their games have failed. People complain about NCsoft closing things down (the city of heroes thing was pretty shitty and borderline racist (I think NCsoft hates american based companies(as seen by their treatment of Richard Garriot with Tabula Rasa, and Auto Assault and CoH).

But at least NCsoft seems to sorta try as seen with Wildstar and Guild Wars. Daybreak games would have shut down Wildstar years ago. At least NCsoft keeps it running. And daybreak still by far outnumbers NCsoft in number of game closures, and that was BEFORE being owned by a nasty investment company. And daybreak also is very well known for purposely sabatoging their own games for a profit...BEFORE being owned by an investment company. Remember SWG? WoWified it because they saw dollar signs from blizzard.

Sure LOTRO still has same devs...who...now answer to an investment company.

GdemamiHachlathmmolou

edited November 2017
    Po_gg said:
    @TheScavenger sure, nobody can predict the future, and anything can happen. (though Nc-diots is a different league, CoH wasn't their first out-of-the-blue cancel, they've killed AA years before)

But I believe it won't happen soon. LotRO has a pretty good track record of dying since almost 10 years now :smiley:  (https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7240026/#Comment_7240026 ) and it is still here. Worths mention, that Whiteberry drawing is old, after that there were 2 license negotiations (with voices of "license will go, NOW it will close finally"), server close/transfer (ok, that was a crappy move) and a publisher change with the death of AC as a side-effect. Still, LotRO is here.

Truth to be told, I don't like the Mordor pricing, the radiance 2.0 and the lootbox changes currently on BR. Regardless of those, it is still one of my favourite games. Hopefully we can play it for years more.
    I suspect they are going to make changes to the loot boxes on the test server, especially with the current player backlash and the whole loot box situation in general up in the air at the moment.

Personally, I don't mind it here. If it's the only way non-raiders can get their hands on raid gear then I'm all for it. I'd prefer they came up with another way but I'd rather it was possible one way or another. Opening loot boxes in LotRO is easy without needing to pay.
    Po_gg said:

I suspect they are going to make changes to the loot boxes on the test server, especially with the current player backlash and the whole loot box situation in general up in the air at the moment.

Personally, I don't mind it here. If it's the only way non-raiders can get their hands on raid gear then I'm all for it. I'd prefer they came up with another way but I'd rather there it was possible one way or another. Opening loot boxes in LotRO is easy without needing to pay.
    I hope you were also okay with Archeage pay to win mechanics then. And didn't jump on the hate archeage campaign, due to their pay to win mechanics. I'll give you kudos if so, even if you just didn't care about Archeage to begin with and didn't care about that controversy. At least you would be consistent lol.

Though. Trion killed archeage with their cash shop. Pay to win cash shops caused lots of people to quit, as seen by other Trion MMOs. But if you are okay with pay to win cash shop in one MMO, should be okay with them in all MMOs.

So hopefully that is the case, cause if so, I could agree with that if you just don't care about pay to win cash shops in general. Not much to debate about if you just don't care about pay to win cash shops to begin with.
    mmolou

Then why are they adding more and more pay to win items in their cash shop? It can't be because they are gaining players (which pay to win items do the opposite and cause more people to leave). Like I said above, look at the official forums...huge threads full of people angry about the new cash shop items that are pay to win.

And why is an investment company that has no use in being in the game industry, owning a crappy MMO company that has never done that well? And the investment company is actually pretty well known as being very terrible in the first place. 

Anyone who thinks LOTRO will last longer than WoW is full of it and blinded by fanboyism or/and hatred of WoW. But maybe it'll last years (I doubt it, I give it 2-3 years tops), but WoW will still last longer. I also highly doubt Wildstar will last longer than WoW either, but it has a "little" bit higher chance than LOTRO to last at least a bit longer.

Why is the new expansion for LOTRO so expensive? Why to get the high elf you have to pay 90 dollars or wait ages for them to unlock it? WoW never does this, and its another sign they are looking to get any extra income they can.

Daybreak has shut down more MMOs than NCsoft ever has. An investment company will further that goal to make profit if they see any loss in profit. Hence why they are adding terrible pay to win items to the cash shop, to fake increase monthly income.

I'd never play a daybreak game to begin with (or support a terrible investment company), since so many of their games have failed. People complain about NCsoft closing things down (the city of heroes thing was pretty shitty and borderline racist (I think NCsoft hates american based companies(as seen by their treatment of Richard Garriot with Tabula Rasa, and Auto Assault and CoH).

But at least NCsoft seems to sorta try as seen with Wildstar and Guild Wars. Daybreak games would have shut down Wildstar years ago. At least NCsoft keeps it running. And daybreak still by far outnumbers NCsoft in number of game closures, and that was BEFORE being owned by a nasty investment company. And daybreak also is very well known for purposely sabatoging their own games for a profit...BEFORE being owned by an investment company. Remember SWG? WoWified it because they saw dollar signs from blizzard.

I have no idea why you're comparing it to Wildstar.. probably because that's what you are playing right now and you want to validate your choice.

I like Wildstar, btw, but it is tanking and is an absolutely barren wasteland.

Monetisation is a problem across the whole industry right now. Arguing a game is shutting down because of it is like saying Destiny or Overwatch is in trouble because they sell things for stupid prices. ALL games will try to make more money even when they are already making money. It's not a sign of failure.

P.S. No one mentioned WoW either.
    Po_gg said:

Personally, I don't mind it here. If it's the only way non-raiders can get their hands on raid gear then I'm all for it. I'd prefer they came up with another way but I'd rather there it was possible one way or another. Opening loot boxes in LotRO is easy without needing to pay.
    I hope you were also okay with Archeage pay to win mechanics then. And didn't jump on the hate archeage campaign, due to their pay to win mechanics. I'll give you kudos if so, even if you just didn't care about Archeage to begin with and didn't care about that controversy. At least you would be consistent lol.

Though. Trion killed archeage with their cash shop. Pay to win cash shops caused lots of people to quit, as seen by other Trion MMOs. But if you are okay with pay to win cash shop in one MMO, should be okay with them in all MMOs.

So hopefully that is the case, cause if so, I could agree with that if you just don't care about pay to win cash shops in general. Not much to debate about if you just don't care about pay to win cash shops to begin with.
    ArcheAge has an RNG mechanic built into the item upgrade system that makes it practically impossible to progress if you don't pay. It's no where near the same thing.
    Gdemami
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,076

Same developers, but now they are owned by an investment company. Whose only motives is getting as much money as they can. Which means more and more terrible cash shop practices. Which people are already seeing quite a bit of in LOTRO cash shop.
    i believe they are only published by them 
    Torvalborghive49mmolou

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 2,791

High elf is 1k lotro in shop. Must say low lvls are pretty croud anytime of the day. Im lvl 15 atm.

And looks decent but im playing it for the quests/story.

Dont mind the the sound we are using skype.

Dragnelus said:

High elf is 1k lotro in shop. Must say low lvls are pretty croud anytime of the day. Im lvl 15 atm.

Well if LOTRO really is indeed that healthy, I should start up again next month.

Nothing beats LOTRO story (not even SWTOR), or aesthetics of the world of middle earth. LOTRO is probably most immersive MMO I've personally played. But fearing it being overall owned by an investment company on top of daybreak doesn't make it very exciting to play knowing both daybreak and an investment company both come VERY heavyhanded in closing down anything that isn't making profit.

Just any time I play LOTRO, I get this overwhelming feeling that it could at any time close down without notice and then I quit lol. I never get that feeling playing WoW, so its why I always go back to WoW lol. Cause I know its really stable and will last for years with huge updates and expansions. But I actually prefer LOTRO, mostly just cause I love middle earth.
    Gdemamimmolou

Dragnelus said:

Well if LOTRO really is indeed that healthy, I should start up again next month.

Nothing beats LOTRO story (not even SWTOR), or aesthetics of the world of middle earth. LOTRO is probably most immersive MMO I've personally played. But fearing it being overall owned by an investment company on top of daybreak doesn't make it very exciting to play knowing both daybreak and an investment company both come VERY heavyhanded in closing down anything that isn't making profit.

Just any time I play LOTRO, I get this overwhelming feeling that it could at any time close down without notice and then I quit lol. I never get that feeling playing WoW, so its why I always go back to WoW lol. Cause I know its really stable and will last for years with huge updates and expansions. But I actually prefer LOTRO, mostly just cause I love middle earth.
    Get on the Evernight or Crickhollow servers and you'll see the biggest population.

I play on Evernight and the amount of players I see convinces me that there's nothing to worry about. Plus, with a new LotR TV show on the horizon, interest in the IP is surely going to increase again.. even if the TV show isn't very good. It'll probably be good for the game.

I get what you're saying but I'd counter it by saying that you have more reason to play it because of that, if you enjoy it as much as you say you do. I mean, if someone was told they only had 2 or 3 years left to live would you just abandon them? No way, you'd make the most of the time you have left.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,707
    It could close at any time. There are no guarantees. That's why people should play what they want and love regardless because at any moment that can be gone. So smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
    SovrathGhostRider00Scot
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯