Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Good sandbox mmo?

2»

Comments

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Kyleran said:
    Good heavens, the nonsense posted here about EVE, makes me wonder if any actually played it.

If so, they clearly didn't understand it.

A terrific sandbox game, but not for everyone.
    I'm just here for the @Kyleran posts!
    [Deleted User]KyleranPhryPhaserlight
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    I mean, right, EVE doesn't have "dungeon finders" and the like to help you find other people. 
    ...ofc it does have such tools.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    pantaro said:
    Kyleran said:
    Good heavens, the nonsense posted here about EVE, makes me wonder if any actually played it.

If so, they clearly didn't understand it.

A terrific sandbox game, but not for everyone.
    I'm just here for the @Kyleran posts!
    Hey, what a coincidence, so am I. 

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Putin and popcorn is priceless cos that was how he was last year up to November.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    cheyane said:
    Putin and popcorn is priceless cos that was how he was last year up to November.
    With all the things going on lately, he's probably had to send out for an 'industrial' sized container of popcorn :p
    Steelhelm
  • lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Lerxst said:
    BDO and EVE both have the same issues - unless you have an "in" and know people, you will be relegated to solo play only. At that point, you might as well be playing a single player game. The community in both of those are pretty nameless and faceless to an average outsider and you will rarely see any interaction take place that doesn't happen within the predefined channels of the clans/companies.

Oh and if your goal is to play those games so that you can remain competitive with other players in that kind of free range environment.... definitely NOT EVE!

EVE bashing aside, if you don't mind a game with a fluctuating server population of 50-150 players at a time and the ability to restart every 30-120 minutes or so.... Space Station 13.

I mean, right, EVE doesn't have "dungeon finders" and the like to help you find other people.  You actually have to have the will to talk to other human beings in-game and find like-minded players to interact with, if you want to take that route.  There are plenty of activities for solo players, if not.  You can be very successful at different things solo, especially exploration and ratting.
    What is this ratting you speak of?
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    lancerxx said:
    Lerxst said:
    BDO and EVE both have the same issues - unless you have an "in" and know people, you will be relegated to solo play only. At that point, you might as well be playing a single player game. The community in both of those are pretty nameless and faceless to an average outsider and you will rarely see any interaction take place that doesn't happen within the predefined channels of the clans/companies.

Oh and if your goal is to play those games so that you can remain competitive with other players in that kind of free range environment.... definitely NOT EVE!

EVE bashing aside, if you don't mind a game with a fluctuating server population of 50-150 players at a time and the ability to restart every 30-120 minutes or so.... Space Station 13.

I mean, right, EVE doesn't have "dungeon finders" and the like to help you find other people.  You actually have to have the will to talk to other human beings in-game and find like-minded players to interact with, if you want to take that route.  There are plenty of activities for solo players, if not.  You can be very successful at different things solo, especially exploration and ratting.

lancerxx said:
    Lerxst said:

lancerxx said:
    Lerxst said:

Ratting is the hunting and killing of NPC pirates.  It can be done as part of a mission, or you can just seek them out on your own and kill them.  The combination of bounties on the pirates and the loot you get from their ships can be very lucrative.
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I was one of the few apparently that didnt get Eve...I thought it was a terrible game with a poor community....To each his own I guess.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Now this thread is an EVE rant/worship?? Fine.

I beta tested *that* game. I also played it for a month or two, on and off, after release. If I liked having a second job as an accountant, staring at spreadsheets all day long, I'd love EVE. Problem is, it's classified as a "game" even though it isn't; this negates any gushing reviews anyone can give of it.

It's tedious. It's "group play" (corporations) dependent. Multi-boxing will always give major advantages to players in these games; it's not like having an alt to test other classes or portions of the game. The NPC missions are dull and repetitive. The skill system... that, goddamned skill system... will guarantee new players will always and forever be at a massive disadvantage and provides no reward for people actually playing the game. And there's little to no RPG involved in the MMORPG, considering people just crunch numbers and "meta game" without any attempt at actually being any specific type of character (something to be said, at least, for the "theme parks").

EVE lacks the atmosphere and soul that makes up a good RPG. It's never on my list of games to ever fall back to and it's never a game I ever recommend to anyone looking for a MMO.
    KyleranSpottyGekko
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Lerxst said:

I beta tested *that* game. I also played it for a month or two, on and off, after release. If I liked having a second job as an accountant, staring at spreadsheets all day long, I'd love EVE. Problem is, it's classified as a "game" even though it isn't; this negates any gushing reviews anyone can give of it.

It's tedious. It's "group play" (corporations) dependent. Multi-boxing will always give major advantages to players in these games; it's not like having an alt to test other classes or portions of the game. The NPC missions are dull and repetitive. The skill system... that, goddamned skill system... will guarantee new players will always and forever be at a massive disadvantage and provides no reward for people actually playing the game. And there's little to no RPG involved in the MMORPG, considering people just crunch numbers and "meta game" without any attempt at actually being any specific type of character (something to be said, at least, for the "theme parks").

EVE lacks the atmosphere and soul that makes up a good RPG. It's never on my list of games to ever fall back to and it's never a game I ever recommend to anyone looking for a MMO.
    It's not a game... but you then later you call it a game... You can't keep your critique straight over a few paragraphs. It is simply a game you don't like.

If actual roleplaying was required by the majority of players for a game to be defined a MMORPG no game would meet the definition. Roleplay isn't exactly common in any MMORPG, so that point is moot. Someone could roleplay in it though, if desired. There is plenty of lore.

To not like a game is fine, but to deny what it is because you don't like how they do it is a misrepresentation of it.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    I was one of the few apparently that didnt get Eve...I thought it was a terrible game with a poor community....To each his own I guess.
    It's not a thing I'd be interested in, I don't think, due to the high amount of PvP. But, I can understand why it appeals to some. It is a fairly unique game.
    Kyleran
  • zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I have been playing "rpg mo"  and really enjoing it, worth a  look despite the old school graphics
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Apart from all the other games everyone else has mentioned. This little sandbox caught my attention and held it for a good minute.

Worlds Adrift

Build your own sky ship from scrap and pirate mofuggas. Steal their booty or build your crew. Game even gives you a little belt where you can equip items you'll never lose. So even though it's full loot. Your most important items will never be lost.

Fly from island to island and explore lost cities and tombs. Discover new ship technologies and swing around on a extremely handy grappling hook.
    Kyleran
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    DeadSpock said:
    I can't believe people call BDO and AA sandbox... and why even mention Eve does that feel like a mmorpg at all? I remember free trialing it very long time ago and didn't make sense all I saw was a black background with starts I guess it's suppose to be space no characters to control nothing a mmorpg gamer would understand, Eve is number one in my list as fastest uninstall record of all time.
    To answer the OP no you won't find what you're asking, I'm not sure how the 2 Darfall versions are doing but back when I tried Darkfall felt like a sandbox.
    Eve fans you can call eve a emulator of space or whatever but not a sandbox mmorpg. 

Why is Eve not an mmo to you? Just because its not a high fantasy setting?
    He said it was too hard to understand.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • madimp76madimp76 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    OP - You should check out Life Is feudal, sounds perfect for you. Just had it's soft launch, early access or whatever it's called these days.
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Lol some of these Eve comments.... clueless.

EvE is super easy to jump into unless you're some kind of anti-social basement dweller. Its a true mmo and you definetly need otherw to succeed.

Create account.... find newbro friendly wormhole corp....train into a gas harvester frig......suck some gas.....buy skill injectors.....win and make friends doing it.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited November 2017
    Lerxst said:

Everyone role plays themselves in Eve. Eve has the biggest community of role players out there. In Eve we are humans, we speak like we do now. No fancy elven or old english here.

You can solo to your hearts content and make a ton of isk doing so. No forced group content, you can make the choice to participate or not.

You can have multiple accounts for any mmorpg and get benefits. Not sure why this is an Eve issue. If someone can afford it more power to them. FYI - someone tried to multi-box during the big Allianc Tourney and got wrecked. Only place I see multi-box being successful is mining. And even then CCP got rid of single input commands for all accounts. The player now has to click everything themselves for every account.

Yes missions are dull, because they were never meant to be a robust pve mechanic. Just an easy way to learn mechanics in relative safety of Hisec before moving out to low or nullsec.

Skill system, add to queue and leave. It even trains while you aren't in game and you can queue many many months.

If someone has put the time in then yes they should have an advantage over someone just out the gate. Just in the real world, you don't pay the new hire the same as you pay your staff that has been their years. I bet you would be pissed if after working 10yrs that new guy who just got hired is making the same salary as you.

Back to the RPG...you obviously haven't participated in Eve. Tons of roleplay going on. The people you are in coms with are playing the role.  Some play as an explorer....Evescout, Johnnypew, Some play as the bad villian of New Eden...Mittani (Goons), some play as a mercenary force (fun spoiler)..Pandemic Legion (Grath), we have a Space Pope, we have actual Nasa scientists coming to the big meet talking about real life space stuff and how it relates to Eve...want more immersion.

If you choose to meta-game....now you are role playing the strategist if you chooce to role-play.

We have scouts, explorers, market gurus, mission runners, miners, pirates, generals, leaders of corporations, we have the CSM. A player group who meet with the Devs to discuss all the current issues and and new things to be implemented after they discuss with the players themselves. CCP even flies them to Iceland for this.

My conclusion is you know nothing about Eve and never played the game. May have installed it, but its obvious the issue is you, not Eve.
    Post edited by TalulaRose on
    WalkinGlenn
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Only problem with most sandboxes is that they feel they must put full loot PVP in the game, and then that breaks the game for most of us.