Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips for a new player?

Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
I am a brand new player to The Elder Scrolls Online. I think I will make a Templar if that is what it's called. I wanted a healer and a party healer. Any tips would be appreciated. I could possibly dabble in some crafting if this game has that? And I only have the Tamriel Unlimited edition so keep this in mind.

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    yes .. learn Animation Cancelling
    ByrgenarHofenRexKushman
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited November 2017
    Templars are pretty much unkillable once you learn them well enough.  There is no real best way to play in this game, even though some will say you have to do this or that it is preference.  You can make whatever you wish.  Want a healer that wears full plate go for it will not hurt to much other than some regen ect which you can get other ways.

The best advice I can give you is look at what skills do and plan out where you want to go before you start assigning skill points.  There are more than enough skill points to unlock everything, but will be much easier for you if you plan it out. 

If this is your first toon don't waste points in crafting until you have gotten the skills you wanted unlocked and the passives maxed out.  Crafting will take you a full year to unlock all 9 traits in everything unless you spend real money buying the research packs which is a waste to do really.  Can most likely join a guild or ask in chat, people almost always willing to help new player get gear made ect... 

The seducer set is a nice base game set for the class you are wanting to play.  You also can mix and match sets to get whatever you wish.  Most do not run full sets but mix them up to get the first 3 or 4 parts.

I put all my points in magic and use my armor to get some extra health if needed but that is a preference not something you have to do.  I do find it easier to use gear that has regen over just adding magic pool myself.

Overall once you have played the game, if you enjoy it I would sub, especially if you do plan to craft in the future.  The crafting bag alone is enough reason to sub just so you don't have bags full of mats.  This the best perk for subbing other than getting all dlc for with the sub, do not get xpacs, but do get all dlc.  In one month you could pretty much do most of the dlc and unsub also if you play a lot.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Templar or Warden are good healer but just about any class can heal with a healing staff and going up the healing skill line.  I like Warden.  Try out the diferent classes and go with the one you like the best.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Have fun

No, really, just have fun, everything else will come with time.
    YashaX
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Scorchien said:
    yes .. learn Animation Cancelling
    Only learn this if you want to PvP. It's absolutely unnecessary in PvE.
    RexKushman

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Also have a few different healers so if the nerf bat hits (and it will) you have another class to use to heal as backup.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sal1 said:
    I am a brand new player to The Elder Scrolls Online. I think I will make a Templar if that is what it's called. I wanted a healer and a party healer. Any tips would be appreciated. I could possibly dabble in some crafting if this game has that? And I only have the Tamriel Unlimited edition so keep this in mind.
    Everything you need to know to get you started:  http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/457732/the-fundamentals-of-developing-a-character-in-eso#latest

If you have specific questions after reading that, ask away.
    Sal1YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Templar or Warden are good healer but just about any class can heal with a healing staff and going up the healing skill line.  I like Warden.  Try out the diferent classes and go with the one you like the best.
    While true, Templar is a bit easier for beginners because their emergency heal that they can start using right from level 2 is not directional - it's a smart heal that will find whoever needs it wherever they are. The warden's equivalent is a cone that needs to be aimed.

And ironically, the Sorcerer's Twilight matriarch heal is even easier to use and more powerful than either the Templar or Warden's big heal. The down side is that it'll take you until the high teens or early 20s at the earliest to unlock it. Until they do, Sorcs have to rely on the resto staff's 3rd ability for their big heal... and that one is a directional cone just like the Warden's.

One of the bigger challenges healing low level random PUGs are the players who think they're safer at long range, missing out on all the ground targeted area heals that are available near the tank, and often insist on standing behind the healer even if you explain to them that your heals are aimed in the direction of the tank more often than not.

That's why I actually prefer healing normal dungeons with a Templar or a Sorcerer's smart heal that will find them wherever they are.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I would say: Play the way you want.

There are optimal builds and fastest routes out there, like with any MMO. But ESO has the big advantage of not forcing you into a specific path. It's perfectly viable to pursue whatever you want and still be able to complete most content down the line.

If you feel like following a strange sidequest, go for it. If you just want to explore, clear dungeons, follow the main story, look for boss monsters or harvest and craft, you're able to do so at any point in time.

Even though I'm a Guild Wars 2 fan, I have to admit ESO does the freedom of choice even better. There are little to no restrictions. I absolutely loved exploring the world entirely at my own pace.
    Octagon7711YashaX
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    k61977 said:
    Templars are pretty much unkillable once you learn them well enough.
    Every class is un-killable once you learn it well enough.

No, really, just have fun, everything else will come with time.
    Best advice in the thread so far.

laxie said:
    I would say: Play the way you want.
    Second best piece of advice in the thread so far.

-----

I would add: Experiment.

Once you have over 250 skill points, you can have four crafting lines maxed out, two weapon lines maxed out, one armor line maxed out, all three class lines maxed out, your race line maxed out, and one world skill line maxed out. Maxed out means all passives points taken and all skills to IV after morphing. You'll still have 30-40 more points to use after reaching the skill point cap.

Then you have 600+ CP to play around with.

That's a lot of wiggle-room to customize and re-customize until you get what you want (respecs are cheap in the store and 3k gold for CP respecs).
    Octagon7711

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Iselin said:
    Sal1 said:
    Everything you need to know to get you started:  http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/457732/the-fundamentals-of-developing-a-character-in-eso#latest

If you have specific questions after reading that, ask away.
    Ok thanks a bunch Iselin! I have read through that other post.