Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What am i missing here

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,998
    Like someone else said, make sure you're playing a class you really enjoy.  I started every class and played it for awhile before I settled on two.  Ranger for exploration and pet collecting and Necro for exploration and survival.  Ended up leveling every class, playing off and on since the game started.
    psychosiz1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited March 2018
    Ungood said:
    Darksworm said:
    I found that it's fun if you just do map completion, largely because the point of hte game is exploring and participating in the dynamic events that pop up near you.  If you try to play it like a Quest "Hub" game, then you're going to be frustrated.

That being said, I quit when HoT was released because those maps are absolute cancer.

I just tried it again when I tried to get a friend to start playing, but ended up decided to buy him another game to play with me, because I got on my level 80 and was just dying repeatedly trying to get to many of those Hero Point objectives.  HoT feels like if chess was made into an MMORPG.

It's absolutely not fun playing on those maps, so the buck stops there for me.  I moved on, and I didn't buy PoFire "just in case" like I did with HoT.  If I hadn't just pre-ordered on a whim and waited for reviews, I could have saved myself some money.

I'd play through the base content, cause it's free, and then I'd think long and hard (and watch a lot of YouTube videos, streamers on Twitch, etc. to see if you can even stomach the content in the expansions).

A day or so ago, in another thread, while criticizing everything about ESO, you specifically compared it to GW2 and proceeded to bestow high praise on GW2 talking about how great and dynamic GW2s questing is and how you would highly recommend it to new players.  Yet here you are, just a day or so later, talking about GW2s maps being absolute cancer, how absolutely not fun playing through its maps is, and criticizing it to the point of moving on stating that had you not pre-ordered it on a whim and waited for reviews, you could have saved some money.

You, furthermore, end your post by suggesting to the OP to just play through the content simply because 'its free" and to think long and hard while researching expansion videos to see if the OP can "even stomach" the content.  

I would not be highlighting the above if your posts were not so astoundingly hypocritical that it simply boggles the mind.  It is also deserving mention because you even managed to be quite condescending to a fellow poster while doing so.  I would strongly suggest that you exert a bit more integrity in your future posts so as not to waste your peer posters time acknowledging and responding to your posts.  

Just a heads up.. 

Heart of Thorns Expansion, was really a drastic change from the base game, it was built with vertical open world maps, or put another way, imagine a whole Zone in GW2 that is one huge jumping puzzle, filled with very difficult mobs. Now imagine things keep getting more and more complex as you progress though the 4 maps, till Tangled Depth, which is a whole maps of twisting caverns that overlap each other. Couple that with entire sections of the map are locked off unless you completed long drawn out dynamic events, so even if you can get to the map areas, you still can't get in to complete the POI, Heart, or HP.  To some that sounds like an awesome game, a true step up in challenge, and testing their platforming and teamwork skills as players, and make no mistake, to those that like that kind of content, HoT maps delivered in aces.

However, because it was so well done, and very direct at who it was designed for, anyone else, or any other kind of player, well, the whole expansion became one massive turn off.

As such, Due to massive disparity of game play between the Core and HoT, a player can both Love and hate GW2 at the same time.

In the case with the poster you quoted, they loved core and hated HoT, which is not at all uncommon, in fact, their old forums were riddled with pretty much hate for the expansion, so much so, they had made several revisions to "tone down" the content.

So keep that in mind when people talk about GW2, the Expansions are very different from Core and from each other.So players can legit love one and hate another, and there would be no counteraction or hypocrisy involved.

IMHO, Path of Fire, was a good between the two, and in reality should have been GW2's first expansion, a more ease into harder tier of PvE environments, I mean, it feels like a huge step down from how difficult HoT is, but it was a solid step up from Core maps, with more platforming features, harder mobs with more challenging attack and defense abilities. 

Just wanted to put that out before you rip on the guy without knowing anything about the game itself.

Your defense is understandable given you are a fan of GW2.  I, however, find exception to your quoting and using my post to defend your game, and by doing so, vicariously defending the quoted poster.  Unless you are the poster's agent/friend/family member/alt, or privy to the original post highlighting the hypocrisy, the basis of your defense is baseless.  There was no differentiation regarding expansions, or anything of the sort, in the posters original post.  It was simply a blanket and general praise of the game, and how awesome and dynamic its quests are and how he would wholly recommend it to new players with no exceptions noted.  The post in this thread is a direct contradiction to any of those claims.

Naturally, you are entitled to your opinion, and are free to add your points to this thread in defense of a game that you enjoy.  No one is trying to take that away from you.  You could have achieved that objective by simply quoting the original poster since it is his current criticisms of the game that you are in disagreement with, and not my point, which is the condescending hypocrisy displayed in both posts. 

Again, I would not be highlighting the issue were it not so incredibly hypocritical, particularly since his original post was only just posted the day prior, and done so in a very, matter-of-factly, condescending manner.  This type of thing is simply unnecessary and should not be tolerated.  There is enough riff raff going on in this forum with legitimate differences based on opinions and personal preferences.  We do not need posters exacerbating these disagreements of opinion and preferences with blatant untruths and misinformation for the single, self-serving, purpose of maligning and/or criticizing another person or game.

Post edited by LacedOpium on
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,223
    Ungood said:
    Darksworm said:
    I found that it's fun if you just do map completion, largely because the point of hte game is exploring and participating in the dynamic events that pop up near you.  If you try to play it like a Quest "Hub" game, then you're going to be frustrated.

That being said, I quit when HoT was released because those maps are absolute cancer.

I just tried it again when I tried to get a friend to start playing, but ended up decided to buy him another game to play with me, because I got on my level 80 and was just dying repeatedly trying to get to many of those Hero Point objectives.  HoT feels like if chess was made into an MMORPG.

It's absolutely not fun playing on those maps, so the buck stops there for me.  I moved on, and I didn't buy PoFire "just in case" like I did with HoT.  If I hadn't just pre-ordered on a whim and waited for reviews, I could have saved myself some money.

I'd play through the base content, cause it's free, and then I'd think long and hard (and watch a lot of YouTube videos, streamers on Twitch, etc. to see if you can even stomach the content in the expansions).

A day or so ago, in another thread, while criticizing everything about ESO, you specifically compared it to GW2 and proceeded to bestow high praise on GW2 talking about how great and dynamic GW2s questing is and how you would highly recommend it to new players.  Yet here you are, just a day or so later, talking about GW2s maps being absolute cancer, how absolutely not fun playing through its maps is, and criticizing it to the point of moving on stating that had you not pre-ordered it on a whim and waited for reviews, you could have saved some money.

You, furthermore, end your post by suggesting to the OP to just play through the content simply because 'its free" and to think long and hard while researching expansion videos to see if the OP can "even stomach" the content.  

I would not be highlighting the above if your posts were not so astoundingly hypocritical that it simply boggles the mind.  It is also deserving mention because you even managed to be quite condescending to a fellow poster while doing so.  I would strongly suggest that you exert a bit more integrity in your future posts so as not to waste your peer posters time acknowledging and responding to your posts.  

Just a heads up.. 

Heart of Thorns Expansion, was really a drastic change from the base game, it was built with vertical open world maps, or put another way, imagine a whole Zone in GW2 that is one huge jumping puzzle, filled with very difficult mobs. Now imagine things keep getting more and more complex as you progress though the 4 maps, till Tangled Depth, which is a whole maps of twisting caverns that overlap each other. Couple that with entire sections of the map are locked off unless you completed long drawn out dynamic events, so even if you can get to the map areas, you still can't get in to complete the POI, Heart, or HP.  To some that sounds like an awesome game, a true step up in challenge, and testing their platforming and teamwork skills as players, and make no mistake, to those that like that kind of content, HoT maps delivered in aces.

However, because it was so well done, and very direct at who it was designed for, anyone else, or any other kind of player, well, the whole expansion became one massive turn off.

As such, Due to massive disparity of game play between the Core and HoT, a player can both Love and hate GW2 at the same time.

In the case with the poster you quoted, they loved core and hated HoT, which is not at all uncommon, in fact, their old forums were riddled with pretty much hate for the expansion, so much so, they had made several revisions to "tone down" the content.

So keep that in mind when people talk about GW2, the Expansions are very different from Core and from each other.So players can legit love one and hate another, and there would be no counteraction or hypocrisy involved.

IMHO, Path of Fire, was a good between the two, and in reality should have been GW2's first expansion, a more ease into harder tier of PvE environments, I mean, it feels like a huge step down from how difficult HoT is, but it was a solid step up from Core maps, with more platforming features, harder mobs with more challenging attack and defense abilities. 

Just wanted to put that out before you rip on the guy without knowing anything about the game itself.

Your defense is understandable given you are a fan of GW2.  I, however, find exception to your quoting and using my post to defend your game, and by doing so, vicariously defending the quoted poster.  Unless you are the poster's agent/friend/family member/alt, or privy to the original post highlighting the hypocrisy, the basis of your defense is baseless.  There was no differentiation regarding expansions, or anything of the sort, in the posters original post.  It was simply a blanket and general praise of the game, and how awesome and dynamic its quests are and how he would wholly recommend it to new players with no exceptions noted.  The post in this thread is a direct contradiction to any of those claims.

Naturally, you are entitled to your opinion, and are free to add your points to this thread in defense of a game that you enjoy.  No one is trying to take that away from you.  You could have achieved that objective by simply quoting the original poster since it is his current criticisms of the game that you are in disagreement with, and not my point, which is the condescending hypocrisy displayed in both posts. 

Again, I would not be highlighting the issue were it not so incredibly hypocritical, particularly since his original post was only just posted the day prior, and done so in a very, matter-of-factly, condescending manner.  This type of thing is simply unnecessary and should not be tolerated.  There is enough riff raff going on in this forum with legitimate differences based on opinions and personal preferences.  We do not need posters exacerbating these disagreements of opinion and preferences with blatantly insincere untruths and misinformation for the single, self-serving, purpose of maligning and/or criticizing another person or game.

Lets get one thing clear.. I don't need to know jack shit about anyone to defend them just like you don't need to know jack shit about them to attack them. OK.. good.. that's settled.

Secondly.. in the Post WE, (That's you and I, here) are talking about, they made a VERY distinct separation between HoT and Core.

So my points are VERY valid.
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 10,273
    edited March 2018
    I used to run the world event train daily, till it got boring. I don't really play hardcore anymore, mostly I log in for a few dailies, season updates ect now a days, or if I decide to work on an achievement. The game is pretty much just an achievers paradise, fun for some, not for all.

What is there to do in GW2? Either of these two sites will tell you which events are going and where.

http://gw2timer.com/

http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/events.php?serverKey=111&langKey=en

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited March 2018
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Just a heads up.. 

Again, I would not be highlighting the issue were it not so incredibly hypocritical, particularly since his original post was only just posted the day prior, and done so in a very, matter-of-factly, condescending manner.  This type of thing is simply unnecessary and should not be tolerated.  There is enough riff raff going on in this forum with legitimate differences based on opinions and personal preferences.  We do not need posters exacerbating these disagreements of opinion and preferences with blatantly insincere untruths and misinformation for the single, self-serving, purpose of maligning and/or criticizing another person or game.

Lets get one thing clear.. I don't need to know jack shit about anyone to defend them just like you don't need to know jack shit about them to attack them. OK.. good.. that's settled.

Secondly.. in the Post WE, (That's you and I, here) are talking about, they made a VERY distinct separation between HoT and Core.

Except that not knowing jack shit about anyone before defending them regarding an issue that you know nothing about borders on the insanely moronic, which is basically the point I was making in my response to your post.  So now that we got that that rightly settled ...

Regarding your second point in my post, there is no WE in my post, so no YOU and I were not talking about anything.  In MY post, of which you quoted, "I" was discussing a specific point regarding the above mentioned hypocrisy.  Specifically that and nothing more.  And during that exchange there was no distinction or separation made, between HoT and Core, just as there is no mention or anything to do with any distinction or separation between HoT and Core in my post in this thread.  

So no, your point was not, in fact, valid.  If you wanted to make it valid, you could have saved the defensive posture, and done so by simply posting your singular point or quoting the original poster and leaving my post out of it since it had nothing at all to do with the point that you felt compelled to voice.  

And with that, I will not be commenting on the matter any further.  My intent with my post on this thread was not to derail or drag the posters name through the mud but simply to make him aware of the noted involved hypocrisy since it was me that he was unnecessarily condescending toward with the original related post.  I would have been remiss had I not brought this to his attention.

Post edited by LacedOpium on
    KyleranSlapshot1188YashaX
  • a_Kitteha_Kitteh Member CommonPosts: 2
    meh. i loved core. i hated HoT so bad i quit for 2 years.

not sure why it's a hard concept to understand that someone can love and hate a game at the same time.

currently on hiatus and playing BDO.  will most likely return eventually.  heck, i still play DDO from time to time and that's 12 years old

UngoodYashaXOctagon7711
    >>pretend something witty and amusing goes here<<
    edited March 2018

Except that not knowing jack shit about anyone before defending them regarding an issue that you know nothing about borders on the insanely moronic, which is basically the point I was making in my response to your post.  So now that we got that that rightly settled ...

Regarding your second point in my post, there is no WE so no YOU and I were not talking about anything.  In MY post, of which you quoted, I was discussing a specific point regarding the above mentioned hypocrisy, merely that an nothing more.  There was no mention or anything to do with any distinction or separation between HoT and Core.  

So no, your point was not, in fact, valid.  If you wanted to make it valid, you could have done so by quoting the original poster and leaving my post out of it since it had nothing at all to do with the point that you felt compelled to voice.  

And with that, I will not be commenting on the matter any further.  My intent with my post on this thread was not to derail or drag the posters name through the mud but simply to make him aware of the noted involved hypocrisy since it was me that he was unnecessarily condescending toward in the original thread.  I would have been remiss had I not brought this to his attention.

No.. what you seem to miss, either buy willful oblivion, or just for the sake of trolling at this point, I am not sure which, but, this the second time I have needed to explain this to you.

The Expansions of GW2 are very Different from Core, and each other, so much so, that it is very possible to Love GW2 Core (often called Core, or GW2) and Hate with an endless Passion HoT and PoF, without any form of contradiction or hypocrisy. 

For you not to be in the blanket wrong at this point, you would need to present that they mentioned something that involved HoT, (like Adventures or Raids for example) and not just regaling about how great the Core was, because often, GW2 (without mention of HoT or PoF) is JUST the Core Game) Especially since that is Free, and the expansions are not. So when people say to play GW2, they mean "Play Core", that's just common game knolwdge, just like if I said "Give WoW a Try" I would not be suggesting jumping right into WotLK, but to give the base (Free trial) game a try.

With that all said, Since it's obvious that you do not know anything about the game GW2, at this point, your only reason to post here was to attack another poster, Which is clear, because While I have talked about a game, you have just attacked people.

So yah.. it's pretty clear that your ONLY reason to post here was to "drag that poster though the Mud" and sadly.. opted to talk about a game you knew nothing about and just made yourself look foolish.

I am really seeing you as just a Troll now. But.. I'll give you a shot to prove me wrong.

So, answer me this, If not to attack and troll this other poster.. why did you post at all, in a topic of a game you knew nothing about?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Regarding your second point in my post, there is no WE so no YOU and I were not talking about anything.  In MY post, of which you quoted, I was discussing a specific point regarding the above mentioned hypocrisy, merely that an nothing more.  There was no mention or anything to do with any distinction or separation between HoT and Core.  

So no, your point was not, in fact, valid.  If you wanted to make it valid, you could have done so by quoting the original poster and leaving my post out of it since it had nothing at all to do with the point that you felt compelled to voice.  

And with that, I will not be commenting on the matter any further.  My intent with my post on this thread was not to derail or drag the posters name through the mud but simply to make him aware of the noted involved hypocrisy since it was me that he was unnecessarily condescending toward in the original thread.  I would have been remiss had I not brought this to his attention.

No.. what you seem to miss, either buy willful oblivion, or just for the sake of trolling at this point, I am not sure which, but, this the second time I have needed to explain this to you.

The Expansions of GW2 are very Different from Core, and each other, so much so, that it is very possible to Love GW2 Core (often called Core, or GW2) and Hate with an endless Passion HoT and PoF, without any form of contradiction or hypocrisy. 

For you not to be in the blanket wrong at this point, you would need to present that they mentioned something that involved HoT, (like Adventures or Raids for example) and not just regaling about how great the Core was, because often, GW2 (without mention of HoT or PoF) is JUST the Core Game) Especially since that is Free, and the expansions are not. So when people say to play GW2, they mean "Play Core", that's just common game knolwdge, just like if I said "Give WoW a Try" I would not be suggesting jumping right into WotLK, but to give the base (Free trial) game a try.

With that all said, Since it's obvious that you do not know anything about the game GW2, at this point, your only reason to post here was to attack another poster, Which is clear, because While I have talked about a game, you have just attacked people.

I am really seeing you as just a Troll now.

But.. I'll give you a shot to prove me wrong.

I'll try to make this as brief as possible so as not to cause confusion.

There was no mention in the posters original thread regarding any difference, separation, or distinction between Hot and Core, or any DLC or expansion whatsoever.  It was simply a blanket statement wholly praising GW2.  Secondly, there was no time lapse between his original post and this post.  They were created one day apart.  The original post was created on the 3rd and this one on the 4th, of March.  So the defense that one could have liked Core a year or a month ago, yet hated HoT today, simply does not stand.  

... and this is why coming to defense of someone you do not know, or a subject that you know nothing about, is simply foolish and not advisable.

Now let's put the subject to rest, shall we?  Its not a subject that I wish to drag on.  I simply wanted to put the poster on notice.  

Slapshot1188YashaX
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Nothing.  It's an incredible value, but nothing all that spectacular in terms of the game itself either.  

Many other games do a great many things better, but they don't do it for a small fee.
    KyleranOctagon7711Lazarus71
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 10,273
    a_Kitteh said:

not sure why it's a hard concept to understand that someone can love and hate a game at the same time.

currently on hiatus and playing BDO.  will most likely return eventually.  heck, i still play DDO from time to time and that's 12 years old

The base game was great, it was HoT that they tried something new and it didn't work so well. PoF still no real reason to return to the zones like I find myself with the base game zones.
    UngoodYashaX
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    a_Kitteh said:

The base game was great, it was HoT that they tried something new and it didn't work so well. PoF still no real reason to return to the zones like I find myself with the base game zones.
    You know, I really liked PoF. but it felt.. well the best way I can describe it, it felt incomplete.

HoT was an amazing expansion, I could see the detail and work they put into it, so I admired their efforts to that extent but I did not enjoy it, it was.. simply put, not fun for me.

I think if they had went PoF then HoT, it would have been easier to move into HoT's level of difficulty, but.. going from Core to HoT to PoF.. felt.. disjointed to say the least.

Anyway.. I am taking a break from the game right now.. which is fine, there is minimal gear grind, and if I take a few months or years off, I can jump right back into it with almost no losses.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,097
    Tiller said:
    a_Kitteh said:

I thought the class balance and pvp worked much better in the vanilla game; HOT basically exacerbated all the bad things about it - more mindless aoe spam, more strong passives, less class diversity, extreme power creep.  
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    You grind content while looking good and enjoy the beautiful world and vistas along the way.
    A good game if you are a completionist type who hasn't yet burned out on story-driven questing.
    To enjoy gw2, I played it as a single player rpg and not demanding it to be a co-op mmo, but just light and fun time wasting entertainment - Eventually, I was done with it and like a good single player rpg it was worth the price tag if you count the hours.

Of course Gw2 could have been so much more mmo, but you can't focus on that or it will ruin your experience. It is one of those games where you can squeeze your eyes and almost imagine how great it could have been if the core game had been different.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,655
    Yeah when they gated the main story behind levels it kind of killed the game for many. The game at launch had real promise to be unique and they screwed that up. Once you get a character to max level unless you like to make alts many are just done with the game. The only reason its even still popular is there is no monthly subscription.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,729
    Gorwe said:
    k61977 said:
    My advice if you don't like the game already or find it fun just find another one.  No point in playing something you don't find fun.  If you have to look for something to be fun what is the point.

There is a main story line but they changed the way you get access to it, gated behind levels.  This stops after the original game because you don't level up anymore after that in a traditional way and you have access to the story and season stories all the way through until you complete them.  The hearts are considered quest also just not in a format that every other game already uses.

I prefer to do map completions myself before I do story anyway so it didn't bother me.  I am a completionist at heart so that is what I prefer to do, but it is what I enjoy.  Hell I still haven't even done the PoF story but have 100% complete zones and maxed out mastery for that xpac other than the griffon.
    I can usually tell within half an hour if a game is for me or not.  Many a game I've started then left alone because it's just not for me.
    How do you do this? What are the criteria for that?
    Doesn't have to be a criteria per se.

How does he "do this"? I'm pretty sure that if a person can't make up his/her mind or doesn't know their mind then that's a larger issue.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,998
    edited March 2018
    Gorwe said:
    k61977 said:
    My advice if you don't like the game already or find it fun just find another one.  No point in playing something you don't find fun.  If you have to look for something to be fun what is the point.

There is a main story line but they changed the way you get access to it, gated behind levels.  This stops after the original game because you don't level up anymore after that in a traditional way and you have access to the story and season stories all the way through until you complete them.  The hearts are considered quest also just not in a format that every other game already uses.

I prefer to do map completions myself before I do story anyway so it didn't bother me.  I am a completionist at heart so that is what I prefer to do, but it is what I enjoy.  Hell I still haven't even done the PoF story but have 100% complete zones and maxed out mastery for that xpac other than the griffon.
    I can usually tell within half an hour if a game is for me or not.  Many a game I've started then left alone because it's just not for me.
    How do you do this? What are the criteria for that?
    How much I enjoy the combat mostly.  How PvP is handled.  Inventory space.  How crafting is done.  How travel works.

I know a game can change from start to middle to end game but usually it doesn't change all that much.  Sometimes if I really like the idea I'll come back and give it another try after changes have been made to the game by the Devs.
    YashaX

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,572
    I thought the world was well designed and I enjoyed exploring while leveling.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2018
    OP you lasted longer than me and ive given the game around 4-5 tries.

What i have found from talking to people in games,is they simply find some of the most trivial stuff fun,very low standards of quality gaming.
    I still say easily that if your going to play a questing game,then EQ2 or FFXIV are  the better choices and Wow is close.

An example of how people think something is fun is completionist ideas,like here is a reward for finishing zone quests or here is a reward for walking into a new area that the game basically held your hand to get to ,is so trivial yet devs gives rewards for them and people think it's great.

Since i look for UNIQUE and/or depth..
    1FFXI "does the little things "ammo/disruption/accuracy/food/classes/combat/buffs/debuffs"all done better.
    2FFXIV or EQ2 "one level up on the rest,better graphics/lighting/crafting" all while doing the same things as the rest.
    3 Runes of magic or Wow or Vanguard,i lump them all in together.

I really could lump Wow in with all the rest as they all look and feel like free to play games,however Wow does at least have some nicer quests "a few with each expansion"and the odd nice content ideas but shows a very lazy/free to play design,example MOST areas have NO DOORS on buildings,no ammo just to name a couple areas of LAZY game design.

All those other games i quit in the first day or first week,i found them to be THAT BAD and i can tell what a game is doing in the 20 minutes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Pets?

Nothing comes close to FFXI's Beastmaster pet class and i would say that even the Avatar class "Summoner" is also done better.You want to see truly UNIQUE and imo challenging and fun classes,FFXI has them all,Blue Mage another UNIQUE class.

The ONLY idea they left out for a long time was drains/leeching what ever you want to call it but then added the Dancer class which has a lot of versatility.

Point being and not to say go play FFXI because it is very old and mostly end game but just to make a point that when people say certain games are better ,they never say better at what because most are NOT better.
    YashaX

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Gorwe said:
    As for Guild Wars 2, it made me realize how much structure is important to me. It's not that I can't "wing it", but I just don't want to(apparently). And this is all too visible during leveling portion.

I got to level 40 or something and gave up because those hearts and the whole spontaneous, impromptu gameplay was driving me crazy. I was mostly half asleep while playing because I DO NOT WANT TO MIX my PvE activities with Crafting, WvW, PvP or what have you! I want story, I want exploration, I even want general grind and such stuff. I DO NOT WANT for a game to tell me "right, you've had enough of that, mix it up. NOW!".
    No where in GW2 does (or did) it tell you to do crafting, WvW or PvP instead of doing PvE story content or PvE exploration. The only thing that required you to go in WvW while being a PvEer was map completion, but that has been gone since March 2015 and didn't actually require doing WvW, just get the HP and POI on those maps (I've done it without attacking or being attacked by a single person).
    YashaXMaurgrim
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    YashaX said:
    You are all doing it wrong: the only correct way to play GW2 is to jump straight into pvp or WvW and never leave.  
    This person speaks the truth.
    YashaX
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,097
    Gorwe said:
    azarhal said:
    Gorwe said:
    As for Guild Wars 2, it made me realize how much structure is important to me. It's not that I can't "wing it", but I just don't want to(apparently). And this is all too visible during leveling portion.

I got to level 40 or something and gave up because those hearts and the whole spontaneous, impromptu gameplay was driving me crazy. I was mostly half asleep while playing because I DO NOT WANT TO MIX my PvE activities with Crafting, WvW, PvP or what have you! I want story, I want exploration, I even want general grind and such stuff. I DO NOT WANT for a game to tell me "right, you've had enough of that, mix it up. NOW!".
    No where in GW2 does (or did) it tell you to do crafting, WvW or PvP instead of doing PvE story content or PvE exploration. The only thing that required you to go in WvW while being a PvEer was map completion, but that has been gone since March 2015 and didn't actually require doing WvW, just get the HP and POI on those maps (I've done it without attacking or being attacked by a single person).
    Technically true. But if you don't, it becomes a slog and grind of the worst kind. It literally is a game that doesn't have anything exceptionally good ; it's more about its parts coming together and somehow making a good product. As a logical corrolary to this is the fact if you ignore a part of a game, it falls apart. Because while you can ignore PvP in WoW or in SWTOR or group content in some "MMOs", you can't really do that in GW 2. Because it is a sum of its parts ; it falls aparts.
    Totally disagree, I had a ball playing GW2 and never did anything except pvp. And it totally killed many other major mmos in that aspect.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Gorwe said:
    azarhal said:
    Gorwe said:

Technically true. But if you don't, it becomes a slog and grind of the worst kind. It literally is a game that doesn't have anything exceptionally good ; it's more about its parts coming together and somehow making a good product. As a logical corrolary to this is the fact if you ignore a part of a game, it falls apart. Because while you can ignore PvP in WoW or in SWTOR or group content in some "MMOs", you can't really do that in GW 2. Because it is a sum of its parts ; it falls aparts.
    huh? I never PvP or WvW and I never felt compelled to do either of these things and they have no links to PvE. I personally find WvW super boring (I tried it when the game released). I only do PvE map stuff (events, story, achievements, exploration) and rarely stick to one map. I only do dungeons or fractals to help guildies if they need one more (no raiding, can't manage the schedule). I only do daily, if they are fast to do. I do get bored/burned out*, at which point I switch to another character or leave and comeback a few months later. *I get bored/burned out of everything, I can't keep interest in something (books, tv series, games) for more than 6 months, average is 3 months.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited March 2018
    I love the freedom the game offers.  Thank god linear story lines are not the main focus of the game.  The MMO genre has gone down the tubes due to linear hand holding corridor worlds.  If you want linear go play a single player game.  And unfortunately this game does offer "story", this part of the game is poor and thankfully I can ignore it.

I play ESO or any other crap themeparks from the past 14 years and a bunch of NPC's order you around, sometimes in a linear path.  Why they hell do people play open world MMO's if they want to be ordered around constantly?

GW2 will never win the immersion in a dangerous risk vs reward world category.  But at least it offers a small bit of freedom.
    YashaX said:
    Gorwe said:
    azarhal said:
    Gorwe said:

Totally disagree, I had a ball playing GW2 and never did anything except pvp. And it totally killed many other major mmos in that aspect.
    I sorta agree, GW2's PvP allowed me to move from being a PvE player into MOBA's, but after playing an MOBA, I just can't stomach how bad the balance and game play of GW2's PvP is.