Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Announces PC MMO 'Project TL' - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

not related to what I was saying or my question.

would you like to know why I think my observation is constructive? yes or no

Yes, by all means, please share ...
    The brain has a tendency to form a habit that can last a lifetime. 
    Expanding ones life experiences in the long run creates a happier person and (I find this int resting) the perception of time slows down, or rather the memory of your past.

Never the less, when people get in a rut they sometimes are not aware of what they are missing. 'talking outside of the box' turns into conversations about one handed blade vs two handed blade and all the other wonderful things that are possible are overlooked.

does that make sense?
    Yeah but people get different experiences outside of video games. "Video Games" should just be one aspect of a varied life.
    the problem is when one develops tunnel vision (which playing the exact same game forumla for years will do) it becomes very unhealthy

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 24,624
    edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

Expanding ones life experiences in the long run creates a happier person and (I find this int resting) the perception of time slows down, or rather the memory of your past.

Never the less, when people get in a rut they sometimes are not aware of what they are missing. 'talking outside of the box' turns into conversations about one handed blade vs two handed blade and all the other wonderful things that are possible are overlooked.

does that make sense?
    Yeah but people get different experiences outside of video games. "Video Games" should just be one aspect of a varied life.
    the problem is when one develops tunnel vision (which playing the exact same game forumla for years will do) it becomes very unhealthy
    IF that was your only outlet then sure, I can see the point. Luckily for all of us there is a wide world out there.

And come to think of it, it's also how one approaches that (half full vs half empty example). Does one play only a set type of game because they have tunnel vision or does one play a set type of game because all of their other pursuits and experiences help inform them to what type of experiences they want to encounter?

To that end, one can also start pointing to everyone's life and say "you don't travel enough" "you don't travel to diverse places and only travel to warm climes" "you don't play a musical instruement" "You play a musical instrument but you only play rock and don't play punk" "you don't wear varied clothes and only wear comfortable clothes no matter what you are doing" etc.

It's far more complex than one must play different video games or else they are going to get "tunnel" vision. Because if we are going to adopt that as a truism let's adopt the opinions of my friends who say that whenever you play a video game you can be doing anything else that will be far better for you and your life".

I'd adopt that before I adopted the "tunnel vision" idea.
    Post edited by Sovrath on

Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

does that make sense?
    IF that was your only outlet then sure, I can see the point....

incorrect.

a tunnel vision in how a game should be is unhealthy. 

peroid, regardless of your non-gaming outlets

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 134
    So is this a MMOARPG like Diablo, MU Legend, etc. OR more an Action MMO like BDO? That opening scene in the town with street people reminded me of BDO lol.
    TorvalSovrath
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

does that make sense?
    IF that was your only outlet then sure, I can see the point....

incorrect.

a tunnel vision in how a game should be is unhealthy. 

peroid, regardless of your non-gaming outlets
    No I say correct.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,417
    It certainly look beutiful with a nice, not too Asian artstyle and very realistic llife like world.

However in the vid there seems to be tons of ultra weak trashmobs. I am not too found of the rather common Korean idea of wading through a sea of crapmobs (Tera is one bad offender there). The original Lineage wasn't like that when I played it at least.

I hope that is just to show things off but I fear it will be one of those games.
    deniter
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 28,866
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hashbrick said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ananit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    wait another fantasy based game...sweet Jesus worse then 'survival games'
    It's almost as if fantasy is an entire genre with multiple subgenres based on centuries of human history or something.
    lol...'sub genre'....not really 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fantasy_genres
    sub genres of the fantasy genre of games almost literally mean nothing more than an avatar change.

its all the same tired old shit, fight mobs
    Just like your posts, the same old tired shit of going against the grain all the time with nothing constructive to say
    I think it is productive to point out to other people that the fantasy genre is over done, would you like to know why I think its productive?
    oh it seems that today is the day that you and I just don't agree and we go back and forth.

However, I can at least acknowledge that the fantasy genre is done a lot. But it's not "overdone" as that is the only genre I ever buy for the most part. I never stick with science fiction (unless it's a 4x game) and horror is a tough one for developers to get right.

Most likely others but they never interest me. So point being, I think there are a lot of other people in the same boat.
    Sorry I was looking for an answer to my question not someone diverting. I dont mind people interjecting but I would perfer they at least ponder the quesiton
    Hey you made a statement it's perfectly fine for people to comment on that statement.

Also "sub genres" are different as far as tone, the world, how the characters interact with that world.

Otherwise no matter what genre it is you are going to be "fighting mobs".

Noooo, thats like inviting a vampire to come in your house.  :o

Now all of the life of the OP will be sucked dry.

Where did I put my garlic and holy water.?

;)
    TorvalMadFrenchieCecropiaMabushiiConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonEponyxDamor

Ten types of internet trolls - Which one are you?

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, back in EVE until then

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 16,874
    edited November 2017
    Loke666 said:
    It certainly look beutiful with a nice, not too Asian artstyle and very realistic llife like world.

However in the vid there seems to be tons of ultra weak trashmobs. I am not too found of the rather common Korean idea of wading through a sea of crapmobs (Tera is one bad offender there). The original Lineage wasn't like that when I played it at least.

I hope that is just to show things off but I fear it will be one of those games.

If it is "traditional" ARPG, as opposed to Action RPG, then having a ton of trash mobs is a common design choice. Although in better ARPGs and more narrative driven ARPGs, like Grim Dawn, the trash mobs aren't as common or easily recognized as fodder.

In Victor Vran any mobs can be scary dangerous. In Grim Dawn most trash mobs don't feel like like trash mobs, to me at least. They are weaker, but not pointless. While in Diablo 2 and 3 there are tons of trash mobs and they feel normal and appropriate for the design maybe because hordes of demons spewing out from the abyss doesn't break the suspension of disbelief any more than anything else.
    Post edited by Torval on
    MrMelGibson
    silent protagonist, dirty mmo gamer, filthy casual
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hashbrick said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ananit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    It's almost as if fantasy is an entire genre with multiple subgenres based on centuries of human history or something.
    sub genres of the fantasy genre of games almost literally mean nothing more than an avatar change.

Just like your posts, the same old tired shit of going against the grain all the time with nothing constructive to say
    I think it is productive to point out to other people that the fantasy genre is over done, would you like to know why I think its productive?
    oh it seems that today is the day that you and I just don't agree and we go back and forth.

However, I can at least acknowledge that the fantasy genre is done a lot. But it's not "overdone" as that is the only genre I ever buy for the most part. I never stick with science fiction (unless it's a 4x game) and horror is a tough one for developers to get right.

Most likely others but they never interest me. So point being, I think there are a lot of other people in the same boat.
    Sorry I was looking for an answer to my question not someone diverting. I dont mind people interjecting but I would perfer they at least ponder the quesiton
    Hey you made a statement it's perfectly fine for people to comment on that statement.

Also "sub genres" are different as far as tone, the world, how the characters interact with that world.

;)
    he survived my answer just fine.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,567
    I am on the verge of trying out Divinty 2, should inbe interested in this?

lets find out if its just action or has actuall depth

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 9,444
    Looked good visually, but hopefully the characters looking so similar doesn't mean that there is no character creation/customisation which it did seem to suggest, it also didn't look much like an MMO, but more like a diablo game from the camera angles shown in the video, if that is representative of actual gameplay then i can't really see it being all that interesting to play, its a bit too 'moba'esque' and something i am not at all fond of, and 5 classes? hopefully not gender locked though it did look like they might be.
    Not sure there is a market for the type of gameplay that was shown honestly as it looked more like an advertisement for a MOBA rather than for an MMO, it also looked a bit too impersonal, hopefully it wasn't too representative of actual gameplay, though i suspect much of it was, which would be a pity. :/
    Phry said:
    Looked good visually, but hopefully the characters looking so similar doesn't mean that there is no character creation/customisation which it did seem to suggest, it also didn't look much like an MMO, but more like a diablo game from the camera angles shown in the video, if that is representative of actual gameplay then i can't really see it being all that interesting to play, its a bit too 'moba'esque' and something i am not at all fond of, and 5 classes? hopefully not gender locked though it did look like they might be.
    Not sure there is a market for the type of gameplay that was shown honestly as it looked more like an advertisement for a MOBA rather than for an MMO, it also looked a bit too impersonal, hopefully it wasn't too representative of actual gameplay, though i suspect much of it was, which would be a pity. :/
    If it is an mmo then they are going with a similar design to the first lineage which of course had more of a diablo look to it in regards to camera angle.
    Torval

• PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 9,444
    Sovrath said:
    Phry said:
    If it is an mmo then they are going with a similar design to the first lineage which of course had more of a diablo look to it in regards to camera angle.
    It looked like a 5 v 5 MOBA tbh, with the goal being to either attack or defend a castle depending on which team you were on. :/
    Torval
    Phry said:
    Sovrath said:
    Phry said:
    It looked like a 5 v 5 MOBA tbh, with the goal being to either attack or defend a castle depending on which team you were on. :/
    Isn't that what MXM is?
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited November 2017
    so what happened to Lineage Eternal? did it get scrapped?
    Koreans hated Lineage Eternal due to its MOBA-ish hero system. Then they fired LE staff and rebooted it to be in line with what Koreans like.
    Post edited by Kabulozo on
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 2,518
    Project T/L can't really blow Lost Ark out of the water until I see all the other features it has beyond combat. Say what you want about Lost Ark but they showed gathering, crafting, raiding, and other extracurricular activities.
    edited November 2017
    Project T/L can't really blow Lost Ark out of the water until I see all the other features it has beyond combat. Say what you want about Lost Ark but they showed gathering, crafting, raiding, and other extracurricular activities.
    If they implement full world PVP/PK/Clan war like Lineage 1, then it will blow LK. Lineage 1 still is the most popular MMO in Korea because no other AAA MMO offers a better world pvp.
    Kabulozo said:
    If they implement full world PVP/PK/Clan war like Lineage 1, then it will blow LK. Lineage 1 still is the most popular MMO in Korea because no other AAA MMO offers a better world pvp.

I expect they sort of have to implement world pvp like that. For one, Lineage fans expect it. If they don't it will flop in Korea. If they do implement world pvp like that then it will likely flop in the west. The thing is if they don't it probably won't do great in the west anyway so they might as well go with the pvp and appeal to their base.
    MrMelGibson
    edited November 2017
    Torval said:
    Kabulozo said:

I expect they sort of have to implement world pvp like that. For one, Lineage fans expect it. If they don't it will flop in Korea. If they do implement world pvp like that then it will likely flop in the west. The thing is if they don't it probably won't do great in the west anyway so they might as well go with the pvp and appeal to their base.
    They need to focus on the hardcore Korean Lineage fanbase. tTrying to please everybody will make it flop because it always ends pleasing nobody.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 5,476
    Kabulozo said:
    They need to focus on the hardcore Korean Lineage fanbase. tTrying to please everybody will make it flop because it always ends pleasing nobody.
    Korea is indeed where their focus is. Just as most MMO's so it's to be expectable how the fundamental pillars of the game will be.
    TorvalMrMelGibson
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,334
    This looks like it would be pretty fun

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 793

kchisarik said:

too bad its NCSoft it looks good, but they will f it up

Well it could be worse it could be Trion, remember what happened to Archeage?
    Well, it's not a company's fault if players prefer to buy shit on cash shop to be OP instead of paying a fee to play on a fair environment.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 1,678
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hashbrick said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ananit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:

;)
    I thought we were friends ;(
    KyleranMrMelGibson
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,000

Warlyx said:

yeah why work on that game instead of lineage eternal ? :( or this is the scrap parts of the lineage eternal game ?

Incredibly poor reception of Lineage Eternal. Followed by people comparing it to Lost Ark in recent years. The new team seems to be doing a better job than the last, but much remains to be seen.

Though as a whole what I've seen doesn't hold a candle to Lost Ark yet. But that may be because I played the last closed beta test of the game; did recognize several scenes that looked identical in terms of location to Lost Ark -- such as the Wall of Glory castle siege event. Definitely them trying to take a jab at Lost Ark by not only replicating areas and scenes, but putting them in the launch video of their reworked game.

Honestly, I'd like to see this game be the better of the two simply because Lost Ark is poised to be a Pay to Play subscription game, and I don't know if I'm keen to subscribe to a hack and slash game yet -- even if it has sailing and world maps and a really interesting story (so far). If what Bill guesses is true and Pappy's crew is doing the western release, then that's all the more reason to want for this as I've always felt him to be a charismatic guy.

Though they will have to show more of their systems and prove that they learned from mistakes to really get me out of my Lost Ark Addiction. Videos don't do these games justice.