Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic wow will make noobs cry

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:
    btdt said:
    DMKano said:
    The noobs will probably like it.

when nostalgia wears off the vets will be leaving in droves.

The thing with classic servers - for majority they are a flash in the pan, because after a couple of weeks the feeling "I've done all this before" hits you hard.

It will be interesting to see how long people last on classic servers before quitting, because deja-vu is cool at first, but fades fast.

LOL, the flaw with that statement is "I've done this all before"... that describes every incarnation of WoW since vanilla...

in mechanics - you are pretty much right, but at least content is new in expansions.

However - vanilla server - you have literally in true sense of the word done it before. You are replaying the same content, same zones, same dungeons.... it is the same damn thing players have done 13 years ago.

And that doesnt last for the masses - not longterm. It has appeal until nostalgia wears off, and then whats left over - tiny population that keeps playing (like EMU server population only smaller since there will be cost associated).

As I said in another thread: I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Blizzard plans on classic servers being some kind of reset and relaunch button for WoW's popularity.  It's being done for a persistent and passionate niche within their fanbase.

You guys are literally conjuring issues to try and nitpick at.
    Steelhelm

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    edited November 2017
    1. Content gaps that have to be filled with hours of mindless grinding.
    2. Having to find quest objectives with nothing more than a very vague and sometimes misleading text description. 
    3. Long treks across the same areas over and over and over again.
    4. Standing in the capitol LFG for hours, finally finding one, traveling all the way to the dungeon / raid, then having the group fall apart five minutes later. Repeat process. 
    5. Spending weeks grinding for fire resist gear just to have a very small chance of getting into a Molten Core raid.
    6. Running dungeons dozens of times without getting a single piece of loot. 
    7. Ignoring the existence of multiple zones due to a complete lack of content within them. 
    8. Having gathering nodes stolen out from under you constantly. 
    9. Hunters having to buy / craft ammo and feed pets. 
    10. Hunters rolling on EVERYTHING. 
    11. People begging mages for water and portals constantly. 
    12. Vanilla Barrens and Barrens chat. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but that sums up my experiences with Vanilla pretty well. Can't say I miss it, because I'm not a masochist. 
    1. You mean you actually have to play the game to progress? weird...
    2. Oh you mean you have to use your brain? its hard for some ppl i understand...
    3. You mean you cant use flying mounts and not see a single person in game world at all...
    4. Now that is what we normal people call immersion, if it was all perfect it wouldnt be fun...
    5. I see you havent raided in Vanilla coz momy made you sleep early, too bad it was quite fun...
    6. So you had no friends to rerun same dungeons with, maybe you should be more social...
    7. Share some of those places so we can share some of the good times with you...
    8. Oh did big bad Hordie steal your Iron ore in front of you? to bad you were a noob...
    9. You actually had to buy something ? what ? you cant be serious? go recheck that for me...
    10. It was clearly a hunter weapon...
    11. U dont have to beg a mage for water if you are a mage yourself, or if you have friends...
    12. Ever heard of closing a chat window? its quite an easy command...

You are trying to hard mate, its just a game. I had more fun in 1 week of Vanilla then in last 4 expansions combined.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Gyva02 said:
    Celcius said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Tiller said:
    DMKano said:

The thing with classic servers - for majority they are a flash in the pan, because after a couple of weeks the feeling "I've done all this before" hits you hard.

It will be interesting to see how long people last on classic servers before quitting, because deja-vu is cool at first, but fades fast.

Pretty much. It will be a cool museum to visit, but once you seen all there is to see, no need to stay.
    Roll on a PVP server, when there's no more PVE content you then have the human content to always play :) 
    Or just play one of the free hundreds of competitive only games that are better then oldschool MMO PvP ;P 
    I hear being a forum warrior can be pretty fun and rewarding for some... 
    Just as fun as being a white knight I hear
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Hunters having melee weapons.

No Paladins for Horde.

No Shamans for Alliance.

No Draeni, Blood Elves, Worgen or Goblin races.

No Inscription; no jewelcrafting.

Expensive mounts at level 40.

OTOH, crafting was worthwhile and guilds necessary.   

Oh, and, just for the record.  My mom made chocolate chip cookies that made noobs cry. 
    [Deleted User]Kilrane
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Rhoklaw said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    btdt said:
    DMKano said:

LOL, the flaw with that statement is "I've done this all before"... that describes every incarnation of WoW since vanilla...

in mechanics - you are pretty much right, but at least content is new in expansions.

However - vanilla server - you have literally in true sense of the word done it before. You are replaying the same content, same zones, same dungeons.... it is the same damn thing players have done 13 years ago.

And that doesnt last for the masses - not longterm. It has appeal until nostalgia wears off, and then whats left over - tiny population that keeps playing (like EMU server population only smaller since there will be cost associated).

As I said in another thread: I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Blizzard plans on classic servers being some kind of reset and relaunch button for WoW's popularity.  It's being done for a persistent and passionate niche within their fanbase.

I am not sure where you are getting the idea that I think classic will be reset launch for WoW?

I do think that Blizzard wants to make money off everything they do, including classic servers.

Blizzard has no interest in niche, they have an interest in $$$

Which is why I don't think that classic servers will be like vanilla WoW in 2004. I think there will be plenty of changes to appeal to larger audience

Historically speaking, you would be correct, Blizzard only cares about money. Glad to see you finally admit to that since I've been saying that since WotLK. However, I don't see Classic servers as being a huge profit. It will be profitable, yes, but I honestly think Blizzard is doing it for something other than money and that is just MY opinion.
    Businesses do care about money, yes. They are doing it also because it is another way for them to fight against pirated servers. 
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    btdt said:
    DMKano said:

I am not sure where you are getting the idea that I think classic will be reset launch for WoW?

I do think that Blizzard wants to make money off everything they do, including classic servers.

Blizzard has no interest in niche, they have an interest in $$$

Which is why I don't think that classic servers will be like vanilla WoW in 2004. I think there will be plenty of changes to appeal to larger audience

And the dev has already said they aren't interested in hitting a target population goal.  Specifically.

So your repeated posting about "numbers falling off and yada yada" really seems to be pissing in the wind, currently.  They're likely not going to devote a lot of personnel to the idea.  They'll bring it as close as they can, and go from there.  They're not looking to see significant subscription increases or anything like that, if the little bit of information we currently have is any indicator.
    GdemamiSteelhelm

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This seems like when a loud minority cried for champion point off AvAvA. After months they got it and almost no one played. 

I will say it is interesting, but they feeling of the rest of the game passing people by well will be overwhelming. You can't be the best playing stuck on classic. 
    Kyleran
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    bcbully said:
    This seems like when a loud minority cried for champion point off AvAvA. After months they got it and almost no one played. 

I will say it is interesting, but they feeling of the rest of the game passing people by well will be overwhelming. You can't be the best playing stuck on classic. 
    Just a guess, but most people playing on classic servers are probably more interested in playing their best and having some fun.

People who want to be the best probably join the U.S. Marines or something.

;)

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    edited November 2017
    In reference to quivers/pouches, they took a bag slot.  So they do make you manage your inventory. As to the Classic game itself, well we will see in the months ahead or longer what they have planned.
    [Deleted User]
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    It's possible that Blizzard did not want the game they created to be associated with the drama in Elysium and all the theft of donations. They may feel it is a blight on their brand . So this way they control vanilla and they can make sure anything that happens outside of their version will have less impact on their good name. 
    [Deleted User]

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2017
    Jamar870 said:
    In reference to quivers/pouches, they took a bag slot.  So they do make you manage your inventory. As to the Classic game itself, well we will see in the months ahead or longer what they have planned.
    Argh, totally forgot about this and needing reagents to use certain abilities. This will be fun! lol At least everyone will get a ranged slot again hopefully. Guns for warriors and rogues again! Dual wielding hunters!
    DMKano just stop you are embarassing yourself, im actually laughing out loud when i read your comments...so bad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    DMKano just stop you are embarassing yourself, im actually laughing out loud when i read your comments...so bad.

Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company - their motivation is seeing their stock price go up.

Its about money.

Are you that naive that you think they would waste any resources on projects that wont make them money?

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice?

heh

All your logic about WoW Classis in numerous threads were destroyed BADLY, you are repeating em every 2nd page, no1 ever said Blizzard is not a money hungry company, if you understood bussiness you would know that its not even in their hands any more, they did go public long long long long time ago.

I said this before, if it was up to them there would BE NO VANILLA SERVER, so now after 8years of saying NO they said YES, just to bring something that nobody wants back? sorry dude but as i said before your logic is dogbleep.

What is 100% going to happen is last Vanilla patch polished, and by that i mean they will change things that dont affect the gameplay in any way, just change the gamebrakeing things that just MAKE SENSE even for most hardcore Vanilla player. Ill give you a possible example a 30minute shield wall changed to 5 minutes?

You can keep trying to assert ur bad logic and nitpick all you want, but if you watch the announcement and read the interview like i asked you, you would have no more things to say.
    GdemamiSteelhelm

edited November 2017
    You just repeated youself for the 12th time, we all understand what you are trying to say, what im saying is that THING you are saying is so wrong its laughable, and soo non logical is embarasing. I debunked it 3 times so far, here ill do it again really quick.

"But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Gdemami

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Having to do the pally mount quest.

Having only MC for a raid.

The warrior charge pathing "issue"... That took them more than two years to finally fix.

Lots and LOTS more.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    DMKano said:

Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company - their motivation is seeing their stock price go up.

Its about money.

Are you that naive that you think they would waste any resources on projects that wont make them money?

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice? /smh

The only reason why Blizzard is doing this - is because they figured out a way to make money with "classic" servers - Blizzard didn't get to be a billion dollar company because of some dumb luck - they know exactly what projects will bring them more $$$, so that year after year - they look better to the stock holders and their value keeps going up.

Sooo thats why they create limited time pets and donate all money they would earn from selling them to charity... Sneaky bastards. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    If you really believe that then you frankly don't know what the hell you're talking about. 
    In that case, embrace for disappointment....
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerusKyleranXarko
    edited November 2017
    The "internal benefits," from my experience in the workforce, are largely overstated.  One of the toughest things to do is get employee's engaged in charitable efforts at every organization I've ever been involved with.

That's not to say that folks don't give their time or money to charities, but that they mostly like to do so on their own terms and for charities of their own choosing.  Not as a voluntold PR move for the company.

That's really an aside, though.  The relevant parts are the external factors.
    Gdemami

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Gdemami said:
    If you really believe that then you frankly don't know what the hell you're talking about. 
    In that case, embrace for disappointment....
    Grammar nazi says LOL    :p
    Gdemami
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    Branko2307 said:
    DMKano said:
    Branko2307 said:

Its about money.

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice?

heh

All your logic about WoW Classis in numerous threads were destroyed BADLY, you are repeating em every 2nd page, no1 ever said Blizzard is not a money hungry company, if you understood bussiness you would know that its not even in their hands any more, they did go public long long long long time ago.

I said this before, if it was up to them there would BE NO VANILLA SERVER, so now after 8years of saying NO they said YES, just to bring something that nobody wants back? sorry dude but as i said before your logic is dogbleep.

What is 100% going to happen is last Vanilla patch polished, and by that i mean they will change things that dont affect the gameplay in any way, just change the gamebrakeing things that just MAKE SENSE even for most hardcore Vanilla player. Ill give you a possible example a 30minute shield wall changed to 5 minutes?

You can keep trying to assert ur bad logic and nitpick all you want, but if you watch the announcement and read the interview like i asked you, you would have no more things to say.

You are completely not understanding - the reason why they said YES finally is because they figured out how to make Classic servers worth it their dev time and how to make money off it.

That is the ONLY reason why they are saying yes now.

My entire argument is that in order to make money of Classic - the servers won't be 100% Vanilla like you claim.

Nope - what they are going to actually DELIVER (regardless of what they are saying NOW) is going to be something a lot more appealing to masses other than purists who want 100% vanilla servers.

Did I make myself clear this time?

I'm not even sure for how long them purists would remain interested in a %100 vanilla experience. 

I loved vanilla, I played it like crazy, cleared all contents and hit High Warlord on a couple of toons. I got very happy when they announced an expansion. 

I personally don't want to ever go back. I can see why a lot of people would. But how much really was there even for a casual? Well the casuals couldn't clear shit of course. 

Even if Blizzard goes %100 at the beginning, they'll have to make changes rather soon, because even the purists would get bored, as they did 14 years ago. 
    [Deleted User]klash2def
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    You guys are actually arguing about what they may or may not do a year or two down the line? lol

All you really have to go on now is that they mentioned vanilla ice cream in the intro and that they also mentioned they plan to make some changes.

But hey please do go on, it's always fun to watch.

Oh and BTW, Deckard is definitely not a replicant... discuss.
    klash2def[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Iselin said:
    You guys are actually arguing about what they may or may not do a year or two down the line? lol

All you really have to go on now is that they mentioned vanilla ice cream in the intro and that they also mentioned they plan to make some changes.

But hey please do go on, it's always fun to watch.

Oh and BTW, Deckard is definitely not a replicant... discuss.
    TBH I don't get why so many people are getting bent out of shape about it, it's even worse on the official forums, like someone has come and shit on their cornflakes.
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I feel this might backfire in peoples faces. 

Young people love to play for long hours, speedrun everything and show the power of youth; However, as one ages... adulthood becomes about showing the world your responsibility and maturity over being a one-trick pony.

People will have nostalgia, 
    but I feel that is what they will have. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I can't believe so many [insert derogatory term for daft humanoid] actually believe the "vanilla" server won't be more of a "sorta-vanilla" and that this isn't about picking up the additional revenue and fighting back against pirate servers. Anybody care to make a bet?

#Idiocracy
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Wow DMKano your such a broken record, same as every reply you made its repeating, common knowledge and nothing new, omg a multi Billion dolar company wants to promote its products...such a shocker.
    JeffSpicoli