Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Servers Announcement - World of Warcraft Game Trailer

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,092
    edited November 2017

DMKano said:

For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight

I'm hopeful they change a lot of things. People would have been in for a rude awakening going back to Vanilla or trying it for the first time. Much smaller world, continents where level 45+ areas have no quests. Horrid lack of quality of life features that were painstaking at best. And Baron, even after all these years, refusing to drop his pants for you.

The only thing that I remember fondly was the PvP and the title system for it. Though honestly, I think we're paying for this; if you look on mmo-champion, the vast amount of the initial announcement responses have been overwhelmingly negative: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/7117-BlizzCon-2017-World-of-Warcraft-What-s-Next?#comments

The gameplay streams didn't seem to be all that entertaining, either... though I've only seen a horde one so far. And if they don't go all out and make it so the Horde and Alliance completely dominate their own continent -- taking over the cities and such -- then it's a "why should I bother and why did you do this" thing. We go back to Horde vs. Alliance every other expansion after we have an expansion where we have a universal threat we deal with as a team. If they want a big impact, we should be taking over capital cities and establishing continental warfare.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 316
    As it isn't unusual for people to not know what they want for majorty of players vanilla will soon become boring. I won't be surprised if server are left half dead only with true hardcore vanilla crowd playing only.

Also wonder if they will be constantly tweaking classes otherwise they will be left in permanent imbalance. During normal epansion/patch progression class balance was in constant flux yet on vanilla they could remain stall.
    Here we go again, what the fudge are you talking about seriously, people that play Vanilla on private servers for 8 years now dont know what they want? Theres several Vanilla private servers with 10k+ ppl online and has been that way since pretty much TBC.

You do realise that when TBC came out 90% of the people that bought Vanilla were still playing it (that is 2years+), and when TBC came only like 1% of the total Wow population entered last raid naxx40, and im guesing less then 1% have gotten rank 11/14 in pvp. Soon become boring? YEA RIGHT...
    GdemamiGhavrigg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,178
    DMKano said:
    For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight
    What the fudge are you on about lol, if this was "Blizzards Classic server" there would be NO server, get a grip dude it will be the exact same Vanilla maybe just a more polished last patch, they finally listened to us, why would they bring something else back. Ur logic is dogbleep.

Keep on dreaming. 

If they were just going to release 100% vanilla + more polished last patch, they would have servers up ready for Xmas this year, because they would just pull their 2004 code + last patch out of P4repo and call it a day.

They said it will take a LOT of work to get this done, becuase they are NOT just going to running old code, they are going to make changes, probably quite a few changes
    Phryklash2defXarkoMrMelGibson
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,380
    cant wait for all day Alterac's again
    Xarko
    edited November 2017
    "But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Direct Blizzard quote on WoW Classic.

They have Vanilla code from 2004 in their code repository. They can deploy the exact 2004 version if they wanted to 100% right now.

Read carefully what they said "the goal is to *recreate*... not *use exact code from 2004"

They will be re-creating as in trying to match it as close as possible and thats why it will take a lot ot work to do this.

Also not to toot my own horn - but I know folks @Irvine studio
    SedrynTyrosMrMelGibson
    DMKano said:
    "But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

They have Vanilla code from 2004 in their code repository. They can deploy the exact 2004 version if they wanted to 100% right now.

Read carefully what they said "the goal is to *recreate*... not *use exact code from 2004"

They will be re-creating as in trying to match it as close as possible and thats why it will take a lot ot work to do this.

Wow nice deflection, focus on the phrase that makes your argument instead the other 2 that TOTALY DESTROY IT. Want a hint of wich they are? "EXACT" "BETTER or for worse"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• XarkoXarko Member RarePosts: 1,131
    DMKano said:

Wow nice deflection, focus on the phrase that makes your argument instead the other 2 that TOTALY DESTROY IT. Want a hint of wich they are? "EXACT" "BETTER or for worse"
    I bet you dont find it wierd so many people disagree with you. Everybody is wrong and you are right of course.
    DMKano said:

I am not arguing here, I am telling you exactly what is going on - you can keep on arguing all you want.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,380
    ahh the nostalgia, till people realize there is only 1 way to Warrior, Priests, Druids and Pallys only healing, time to roll up a chain fear Warlock
    SBFord
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

I am not arguing here, I am telling you exactly what is going on - you can keep on arguing all you want.
    You are correct argument would be if at least one of your points were correct, wich unfortunately none are, go watch the announcement and read the interview and compare i dare you.

Xarko said:
    DMKano said:

I bet you dont find it wierd so many people disagree with you. Everybody is wrong and you are right of course.
    I was quoting Blizzard not talking out of my azz, but keep trying grasshopper.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    You took me in and you drove me out
    Yeah, you had me hypnotized
    Lost and found and turned around
    By the fire in your eyes

I've seen your face a thousand times
    Every day we've been apart
    And I don't care about the sunshine, yeah

'Cause mama, mama, I'm coming home
    I'm coming home
    I'm coming home
    I'm coming home

-Blizzard, I'm Coming Home. Kudos.
    Branko2307Xarko

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• XarkoXarko Member RarePosts: 1,131
    Xarko said:
    DMKano said:

I was quoting Blizzard not talking out of my azz, but keep trying grasshopper.
    You do you, pal. At least we have some fun around here.
  • DrokkmonDrokkmon Member UncommonPosts: 11

DMKano said:

"Our goal is to recreate that classic 1-60 gameplay. Some things changed as time went on, with different patches. How does that get manifested? That's one of the outstanding questions. But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse." - J. Allen Brack

The exact experience, for better or for worse. Sounds like they want it to be the exact experience.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,124
    @DMKano I am sure they have stated that the biggest issue is getting that old 2004 code to play nicely with the new server infrastructure

As for anyone else who touts the "thousands" of players on private servers. Oh i am sure that they know what they want. Just like how people who are in the WV beetle appreciations club like the Beetle. That does not equal that everyone who like the car would care to own and drive it. 

Same here... Many people who are nostalgic about vanilla (but do not play on a pirate server) will have their nostalgia beaten out of them pretty soon. So it is two different things... diehard fans and casual fans.... 

Do this make it clearer. 

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:

Also not to toot my own horn - but I know folks @Irvine studio
    My guess is that besides making that work with the new server clients they probably plan to add the graphics updates as well to the old game which of course is a lot of work aas they said they have before they can release it.

I have a feeling that they plan to beat the illegal vanilla servers by far, it wouldn't be Blizz if they just used one of their codes straight over.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,293

<snip>

You do realise that when TBC came out 90% of the people that bought Vanilla were still playing it (that is 2years+), <snip>
    Not aware of Blizzard making any such claim. Feel free to correct me.

What Blizzard said later was that Blizzard "accounts" had passed 100M. So - on average - c.10M people a year were leaving.

Did 10M leave in year 1?

Is your claim correct? I actually suggest that 100% of people who bought BC also bought Vanilla but that is not what you are saying. The issue is "did 90% of the initial few hundred thousand purchasers stick around for 2 years". With the other "c.10M players" who bought it in the first year leaving within 30 days because - maybe - they didn't like the initial implementation. 

We don't know. Lots of ways the numbers could be shaped to fit what we know. Blizzard know though and it will probably factor into their decisions.
    gervaise1 said:

<snip>

You do realise that when TBC came out 90% of the people that bought Vanilla were still playing it (that is 2years+), <snip>
    Not aware of Blizzard making any such claim. Feel free to correct me.

What Blizzard said later was that Blizzard "accounts" had passed 100M. So - on average - c.10M people a year were leaving.

Did 10M leave in year 1?

Is your claim correct? I actually suggest that 100% of people who bought BC also bought Vanilla but that is not what you are saying. The issue is "did 90% of the initial few hundred thousand purchasers stick around for 2 years". With the other "c.10M players" who bought it in the first year leaving within 30 days because - maybe - they didn't like the initial implementation. 

We don't know. Lots of ways the numbers could be shaped to fit what we know. Blizzard know though and it will probably factor into their decisions.
    LoL i was waiting for someone to correct only piece of information i pulled out of my azz, if i wrote 30% or 60% it wouldnt have mattered since we are talking about tenz of milions of players, also that information had pretty much nothing to do with discusion in the topic (just his reply, wich made little sense anyway) wich is why i didnt care to actually research it.

Other 2 pieces of info in that reply are that less then 1% of wow population (confirmed) have ENTERED Naxxramas40 wich was the last raid of Vanilla when TBC launched, and that less the 1% have been rank 11 out of 14 in pvp wich even tho im guesing im quite sure is correct since i played Vanilla myself and have a rank14.

• DrewwhoDrewwho Member CommonPosts: 17

DMKano said:

From what I saw of the presentation on youtube from the opening night event it does seem like they will be aiming for an almost exact replication of the classic servers . They already said there would be no dungeon finder etc .

You could be right of course but I hope not .
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Did classic have problems? Yes.

But then so does modern WoW, look at it now, it's more a glorified lobby game than a world.
    Smash to max level in couple of days every expansion then spend your time in a queue face rolling through dungeons until you hit the gear wall and hop in to raids.

Classic seemed to me to be more rpg than today's incarnation, you had to make an effort to get things, you had to actually (shock horror) communicate with people if you wanted to do dungeons and if you were a known toxic player or just crap then good luck getting stuff done, your name would be known on the server as dross and you wouldn't get in groups / raid guilds.

I miss the brawls that would erupt in various areas in WoW, like STV or doing a raid on the alliance queuing  for AV or WG or the ability to be on a level 50+ and slap a raid geared level 60 because you could manage to outplay them.

It's not nostalgia for me at least, I remember full well some of the tedium, hell I still to this day remember all the spawn locations of Black Lotus in EPL but for me imperfections make character, this stream lined shit they roll out now I personally find about as interesting as watching paint dry.

edited November 2017
    It will be Blizzard's version of "classic" - whatever classic means. As they said in the follow up WoW changed a lot in the first two years.

Players won't see the code. What they will experience are the results of the design decisions they make; the what "classic features" to keep, what "modern" stuff to scrap. (On an individual feature level cost of doing something one way vs. a different way won't be a factor.)

1. Their stated aim is: recreate as closely as possible - and that will drive many of the decisions.
    2. Their unstated aim of course is: make money - whatever that means!

Now "make money" may seem obvious. It will actual mean something like "make the most money in the first year / next 5 years". Which will probably factor into their decision making. 

So take a feature and assess it against the aims. 

@Alciun said
    For instance, I can't see them reverting what they call "quality of life" issues:
    - making Hunters need ammo , wait until level 10 to get a pet, have to feed pets, etc. 
    - making rogues skill up lock picking
    - having shaman quests for totems
    - making players visit class trainers
    --------------------------------------

Against criteria 1 - take in back to what it was - all these features would be implemented. Against criteria 2 - well they add a certain amount of grind = more money! Over time though people found it boring - and left so ... decision. Personally I suspect they would reintroduce these features.

@Xarko said:

Renoaku said:
    So whats the real difference between vanilla wow and regular wow??? I like the original game not after burning crusade came out and all the new talents system and all that + I hear bosses were real bosses not this watered down stuff we get in games today?
    It was pretty much the same to be honest, except ordering around 40 people instead of 10-20 had a lot more human error and standing around afking.

As someone who actually raided on weekly basis in vanilla Id describe the experience as nighmare and something I do NOT want to go back into.

I hope they reverse talents to what they were back then, I really do. So all these nostalgia blinded people can try what it was to buff 40 people with 5 min duration blessings one by one, over and over for hours.
    ---------------------------------

As @Xarko says running dungeons was a nightmare.

As one of the very first max level Warlock summoning was a pain. Players had to travel to dungeons. So a summons from a warlock. The summons needed a soul shard. Max soul shards 4. So it was summon and then go kill some mobs; rinse, repeat. Especially if the group wanted to enter an instance and then summon people into the depths of it. 

Against criteria 1 they do it all as it was.

I agree with @Xarko though there was a lot that was boring and tedious - so against criteria 2 that suggests they will do some things differently.
    - Have 40 player dungeons and versions for fewer players maybe - 20, 10?
    - Will people have to travel to dungeons as they did? Or have a dungeon finder?
    Talent tree probably yes but ....
    - Will warlocks need soul shards to summon?
    - Will buffs be for 5 mins only leading to constant rebuffing (same as EQ1). 

They are going to have to make lots of small yes/no decisions. Criteria 1 will give them an "obvious" answer. It keeps the decision making simple, quick and will keep costs down. It will only be the starting point though - against which to assess against criteria 2. Basically will people keep playing this - so keep subbing. And along the way they will do assessments - to make sure the overall "feel" is right but "better".
    MrMelGibson

LoL i was waiting for someone to correct only piece of information i pulled out of my azz, 
    Your inference though was what they released on day 1 must have been good since everyone stuck around. And we don't know.

Now I actually believe that a lot of people did stick around for "longer" than they do today - at least on the PvE servers - because in the first 2 years a major content patch every 2 months. And then they released BC! (Unlike recently when its been: we can't do content patches because we are working on the expansion. No its all about the money.)

Anyway like you I don't know. Maybe 99% left after 30 days and only 1% liked it as it was!  

People will simply have to trust Blizzard to "do a decent job" of recreating "the feel" but they shouldn't get hung up on "the exact features".
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,972
    This is not going to be a 100% exact replication of classic WoW. Anyone expecting that is going to be disappointed.
    DMKanoMrMelGibson
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,300
    I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed. People have been clamoring for the glory days of vanilla and how they wanna play the way it was meant. Now, with the announcement, were already getting 'woot, but I hope they dont include this' and 'I hope they change that' and 'I don't want those old graphics'......

It sounds like ppl are already asking for a dlc to vanilla WoW. Careful what you ask for. You might actually get it.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,637
    I'm just hope they don't use the new character models.