Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PWE shuts down Runic, Motiga

GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 4,839
http://www.pcgamer.com/torchlight-and-hob-developer-runic-games-has-shut-down/

Yet another F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. to greedy ass $$$ counters! May you rot in hell where all the filthy, stinky $$$ won't help you any!

///

As for Runic and Motiga, all the best wishes.
Gdemami

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 4,150
    That's the problem with taking the offer of having a major publisher above your company that owns a stake in your company. You can just get shut down any time they aren't bringing in expected amounts. It's awful. I feel really bad for the people at runic, I hope they find new homes somewhere better.
    GorweSovrathGdemami
  • GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 4,839
    I mean, I can't really blame PWE for doing so, but that sentence! OH THAT SENTENCE!

"Perfect World Entertainment recently closed the Seattle office of Runic Games as part of the company’s continued strategy to focus on online games as a service."

...fuck you and your loot box infested online "services"! This is yet another example of what Jim Sterling crusades against. That sentence practically says:

"If you don't have enough sales AND are not willing / can't support loot box micro transactions...well tough luck! Loser."

>.<
    Gdemami
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 5,477
    That's the problem with taking the offer of having a major publisher above your company that owns a stake in your company. You can just get shut down any time they aren't bringing in expected amounts. It's awful. I feel really bad for the people at runic, I hope they find new homes somewhere better.
    Just like NcSoft and ArenaNet for Guild Wars 2 I think.

It's known that GW2 underperforms in the face of NcSoft's expectations for it, but idk if they have a power to ever shut it down.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Gorwe said:

...fuck you and your loot box infested online "services"!

How do you really feel?
    Torval
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Wow the Gamer Justice Warrior in here is full blown!

dial it down bro

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 16,890
    Meh, they'll reform. The hardest thing is job transitions for the worker bees. This seems to be par for the course when a studio gets in bed with a big publisher. I can't fathom they didn't know this day would come when they signed up. I always thought PWE was a weird partnership for them.
    blueturtle13
    silent protagonist, dirty mmo gamer, filthy casual
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 3,962
    Well Runic lost their big guns after torchlight 2 and I know little about their other game.  Torchlight was just too unambitious for my tastes.
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 1,757
    After torchlight 2 it took the studio 5 years to release a new game and it was a flop. It didn't help when Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer jumped ship 3 years ago.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    Talonsin said:
    Gorwe said:

...fuck you and your loot box infested online "services"!

How do you really feel?

Honestly? Quite appalled by today's chase for the mighty $. But then again...twas like that, tis like that and t's gonna remain as such.

But not really furious, no. I am just sad that quality and ability go unnoticed in favor of $$$. For me, a person who's most likely end up worshipping concepts like Meritocracy, this is an antithesis lol. Epic fail. and this is why I idolize the concept of Meritocracy. It promotes ability and skill and such, not family ties or projected $$$ outcomes.

I could feel better especially given what the industry is about currently. And I feel slightly ill(some strange virus strains around), it does not help the situation, as I am sure you understand.

...whatever.
    edited November 2017
    Again, I would like to stress out that this doesn't have anything to do with Runic or Motiga, but rather with blatant disrespect of gamers from corporate side.

"...online games as a SERVICE."

BLEEEP! WRONG! Games are a PRODUCT(you know, like a shoe) that can be attached to a service, not a service in itself. Even MMOs are a product that's in symbiosis with its service.

Stupid corporate fuck, go back to school! Games should NEVER become a service!
    Post edited by Gorwe on
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 5,477
    Gorwe said:
    Again, I would like to stress out that this doesn't have anything to do with Runic or Motiga, but rather with blatant disrespect of gamers from corporate side.

BLEEEP! WRONG! Games are a PRODUCT(you know, like a shoe) that can be attached to a service, not a service in itself. Even MMOs are a product that's in symbiosis with its service.

Unless they want to make their own online service for their games, the game still is a product but part of that larger stream, it's all made for optimizing their revenue streams really.
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,191
    Can you still play Torchlight I and II the single player version on Steam ?

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 5,342
    Son of a .... scum of the Earth!!
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 18,440
    Gorwe said:

Product you pay for once.

Service - you keep paying

Again, business is all about making $$$, so none of this should be surprising.

Service is what brings in cash for most businesses
    Gorwe
    DMKano said:
    Gorwe said:

Product you pay for once.

Service - you keep paying

Again, business is all about making $$$, so none of this should be surprising.

Service is what brings in cash for most businesses
    It is in our best interests that games remain as products. The day they become a service...fuck off!