Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING NEWS: Blizzard Announces Vanilla Servers - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Y'know, if this had been a few years ago, I'd have jumped up and down for glee. Now? Meh...too little and too late, I think. Maybe I'm just so burned by the past few expansions and what seems to be another lackluster I've even dropped my rose-colored glasses for good ol' Vanilla.

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Member RarePosts: 5,484
    You know I wonder if they might ditch the subscription and sell it as a one time purchase with a shop  and use this as a feeder for WoW.  It can't be more expensive to run long term than Diablo. 

"We have met the enemy and he is us." ~Pogo Possum. 

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,071
    I've been hoping this would happen, and I'll gladly pay a subscription to enjoy a Blizzard official vanilla server.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    :D
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,064
    I came from SWG and CoH in to vanilla WoW... it was pretty much a stone age cave-painting compared to those games and i dropped back out quickly. Came back for BC a quickie... Dropped out again before even getting out of the first area. Came back again with WotLK being pulled in by my better half. 

I have 0 interest in a classic server but ii am still humble enough to congratulate those who want such a service. 

Arglebargle

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I don't know how they'll do it, but it better be authentic. If it isn't almost completely unplayable for the first month or so, then it's not worth my time!
    Yukmarc
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 485
    Okay... this announcement does trounce the "appear offline" feature for the unexpected.  Of course, they've been known to promise something and not deliver... so until it really happens, I'm still going to wait patiently.  

Now the question is, will the argument that "People play on classic (private) servers because it's free" fall flat now that they can play classic once again?

I need more character slots...

• TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,054
    what a nice surprise!
    Warriors are like steel, when you lose your temper you lose your worth.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,117

kitarad said:

They said they made too many changes and don't have the original version of the game....lies ?

In an interview with the CEO he was saying they are going to have to do a lot of reverse coding to get it going. They have the plan in place and are sure they can do it but I got the impression they were only just starting it. I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Honestly, Blizzard wouldn't announce something like this until it was close to implementation. Heck, they were ever talking about it last year but were under sure as to how to structure it in terms of how releasing would go and such.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,968
    They said "Please bear with us, it's gonna take some time". I wouldn't expect to see classic servers before the next xpac launches.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,308
    tawess said:
    I came from SWG and CoH in to vanilla WoW... it was pretty much a stone age cave-painting compared to those games and i dropped back out quickly. Came back for BC a quickie... Dropped out again before even getting out of the first area. Came back again with WotLK being pulled in by my better half. 

I have 0 interest in a classic server but ii am still humble enough to congratulate those who want such a service. 

I had a completely different experience. I went into both EQ2 and WOW at launch after about a year and half of not playing any MMOs. I dropped EQ2, loved vanilla WOW and stuck around there for a few years through BC and going back after every expansion for a while except the last one.

I'm actually looking forward to the next expansion more than I am Classic but I'll probably sample it just for the sake of nostalgia. Whether it holds my interest is a totally different question.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,671

Iselin said:

Wow!

Iselin
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,948
    waynejr2 said:
    Torval said:
    It does blow a hole in the argument that running private servers doesn't step on the business toes of Blizzard.

Not if billy doesn't come back.  They didn't have his money so....
    I mean whatever excuse people use to continue of free pirate servers, they can't use the argument that it's okay because Blizz doesn't offer Vanilla therefore they're not taking money from Blizzard's coffers. Now that Blizzard offers a "Classic" experience running pirate servers does step on their revenue stream.
    MadFrenchie
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Loved the comment about needing the auctioned off blade servers back.. lol
    Torval
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,274
    Phry said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:

styopa said:

Didn't expect this at all. I think a lot of people with fond memories will get a shock at how basic and grindy the game was at launch. It would seem like such a basic and empty MMO experience these days and be lacking tons of features. In my opinion, obviously.

You mean, aside from all the thousands and thousands of people that have begged for precisely this after ACTUALLY PLAYING on vanilla servers and loving it?

Aside from them?

People who play on private servers are a very small vocal minority considering the size of the fan base. Of course there's going to be people that do want this but I'm willing to bet the majority of people that think they want this probably won't when they get their hands on it. It'll have it's niche audience, no doubt. At first it'll explode with population but I'll be surprised if it doesn't drop off fairly quickly. Unless... they modernise it with current tech and features.. but then that's not really classic.
    Except EQ and DAoC and all the EMU servers say otherwise. Sometimes, Classic or even Progression servers are good to reboot a dying game. Not that WoW is by any means dying, unless you count down 50% of your player base as a sign of what is to come. Whether it's a vocal minority or not, plenty of AAA companies in the past didn't even bat an eyelash about whether or not to open their classic servers. It's not always about making huge profits. It's about maintaining good relations with past and future customers.
    A niche of a niche says otherwise?

No, it really doesn't.
    Sooo, you're referring to EQ as a niche game? I think you forgot your sarcasm face.
    EQ was very niche, at its peak it only had a few hundred thousand players, by todays standards that is an extremely low number, as niche games go even Eve online has more players. Still, Vanilla WoW, at least now we will see if those people who claim to want it are willing to put their money where their mouth is. ;)
    You're joking right? A pioneer in the industry? The grandfather of 3D vast online world? A niche game? For being the first of it's kind, 250k subscribers was kind of a big deal back than. I seriously wouldn't call that niche by any means. Not to mention, EQ is still alive today with what, 25 expansions now?
    TokkenConstantineMerus

• Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited November 2017
    Count me in, i'm 33 now and i was 20 back when i started vanilla. I'm a bit older and with 2 kids but i will no doubt play this.

Just too many memories in Vanilla to not go back and experience it, i long for the days of creating my own 5-man dungeon group and riding out to the dungeon whilst having a talk with the group. Also questing was a ton of fun and i really believe this will do more good then harm...if people wanna experience vanilla then let them.
  • shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Today's generation of players is gonna HATE this, talk about grinding and lack of content, yeah.........
    Tokken
  • YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 153
    I hope to God that they have the class quests included in this!
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    i lost my love for WoW when they removed my 40 man raids.
    i will rebuy the game when this launches.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,060
    Looks like we finally can put the Blizzard supporting vanilla WoW debate to rest. 

@SedrynTyros rejoice!

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,671
    shawnpat said:
    Today's generation of players is gonna HATE this, talk about grinding and lack of content, yeah.........
    Nahh, they can buy the boosters and bypass all that old content.

(Yes that was sarcasm)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,308
    shawnpat said:
    Cool. I hope they stay away and we can have a place of our own that isn't called Get Me Outta Here Gardens or Altzheimers Acres.
    ConstantineMerus
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,675
    Why do I get the feeling this is one of those situations when a parent finally gives up but later on would say "I told you so"
    Celcius
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • ckotocckotoc Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Finally!Now i can quit my job,get a divorce and give my children for adoption.
    ConstantineMerus
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,501
    Why do I get the feeling this is one of those situations when a parent finally gives up but later on would say "I told you so"
    That is precisely the situation. It will be funny when the classic server players are demanding TBC a few months in. 
    ConstantineMerus