Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING NEWS: Blizzard Announces Vanilla Servers - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,239
    dont get hyped too much. if they make modern vanilla its wont be same as old vanilla.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,929
    Iselin said:
    Wow!
    I see what you did there.
    jpedrote52
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Sovrath said:
    I wonder if they will keep the graphical upgrades for the classic server. My guess is yes (?)
    I love the new graphics, but they fucked up the animation and character models with the new character skeletons, so i would hope they give you the option to use the old models.
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 1,964
    I didn't expect them doing this but I played enough vanilla wow for one lifetime 12 years ago.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,501
    Can't wait for the tears from people who were playing on private, illegal servers; who discover they have to pay a sub and the box fee again for this.
    jpedrote52Mendel
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,929
    edited November 2017
    It does blow a hole in the argument that running private servers doesn't step on the business toes of Blizzard.
    Mendel
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,274
    Iselin said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I don't even know what to say. Whether it was Blizzard or Activision that made the final decision, all I can say is, you made the right call. I will be one of the first disgruntled haters to return home to Azeroth. I'm coming home, I'm coming home. Tell the world I'm coming home. By the way, I will be happy to subscribe to such a server, so hopefully we can all enjoy this endeavor together.
    Hopefully one sub gets you into either server.
    Even if it doesn't I'll be subscribing to classic so long as it's not a dead server.
    You think you will, but... oh, never mind.
    pantaroNildenMadFrenchie
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 15,981
    I can't wait to see Blizzard get rich reselling the same crap,tells me the world is full of easy sells.
    I have no sense of where the game is at right now,but i know what the game was like early years since i played and it was just real weak sauce.
    Blizzard has way too much overhead,so no way are their games going to get the investment they deserve.I say deserve based on how much money gamer's are forking over,i do not see the same give and take here,i see one side taking and one side not giving back.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 15,981
    I am quite certain anything money has the Blizzard brass thinking VERY carefully,i am sure they weighed in on the possibility that this would simply move players from one to another.
    So my assumption is their brass have determined the majority will be double dipping,paying Blizzard twice for the same game,not including multiple accounts adding up to way more than Blizzard deserves.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Celcius said:
    Can't wait for the tears from people who were playing on private, illegal servers; who discover they have to pay a sub and the box fee again for this.
    You're right I'm crying, but it's from joy, we finally get a place to play our favourite game, with proper support and no sketchy bullshit ;)
    Nilden
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 2,956
    edited November 2017
    Arskaaa said:
    dont get hyped too much. if they make modern vanilla its wont be same as old vanilla.
    They hired a separate team to recreated the vanilla experience. Likely it's progression based and set at a unified class mechanic patch much like private servers do. It is very obvious Blizzard listened to the Nost team and why the audience interested in vanilla exists.

I too was worried until I read that Blizzard's focus seems to be pretty legit on this. Even private servers are not like true vanilla was and I don't expect Blizzards recreation of it will be either. This is a good thing because you don't have to emulate the sad progression of class balance and mechanics of life and can focus more on content progression.
    Arskaaa

You stay sassy!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Torval said:
    It does blow a hole in the argument that running private servers doesn't step on the business toes of Blizzard.

Not if billy doesn't come back.  They didn't have his money so....
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Fyi people there won't be any details announced because this is so far out it is not even worth talking about much at this point. Years out. They said that they don't even have a team or timeline for it yet, and it will take a long time. So yeah. Don't get too excited yet. It is also extremely likely that this gives them a great reason to crack down on illegal servers even harder. 
    Torval said:
    That would only happens if blizzard provided the legacy service which they didn't. Now that legacy servers exists there's 0 reasons to play on a blizzlike private server.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 2,956
    Let's be clear, this is entirely about reclaiming their IP. There never really was a debate otherwise.

You stay sassy!

• KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Well darn. I promised I would sub for a year if they did this. Time to put my visa where my mouth is.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 190
    edited November 2017
    Ta-da! Matter of time it was.
    Tamanous said:
    Let's be clear, this is entirely about reclaiming their IP. There never really was a debate otherwise.

I would think so.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,820
    Torval said:
    That would only happens if blizzard provided the legacy service which they didn't. Now that legacy servers exists there's 0 reasons to play on a blizzlike private server.
    Honestly this is the best thing Blizz could have done to kill private servers.
    Celcius

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,108
    Honestly, everyone knew it was going to happen. The only reason they didn't announce it at last year's Blizzcon was because it would've took traction out of Legion and they can't announce that they are going to do something if its not going to be soon after the announcement (like within a year's time short). However, announcing it now is smart since its pretty much going to be a dead time between now and the next expansion especially since you now know all the grinding you did up to this point was completely pointless (even though they told you it would be before legion even released, which was covered on this site). So if they launch classic servers around say Feb~March, then their revenue can still make a stable number even though the player numbers will just shift from live to classic servers.
    I do miss the original servers. I'll probably enjoy it for about a week. Don't want to go through that grind again.

::waves hand around::  You want to go through that grind again....

edited November 2017
    Albatroes said:
    Honestly, everyone knew it was going to happen. The only reason they didn't announce it at last year's Blizzcon was because it would've took traction out of Legion and they can't announce that they are going to do something if its not going to be soon after the announcement (like within a year's time short). However, announcing it now is smart since its pretty much going to be a dead time between now and the next expansion especially since you now know all the grinding you did up to this point was completely pointless (even though they told you it would be before legion even released, which was covered on this site). So if they launch classic servers around say Feb~March, then their revenue can still make a stable number even though the player numbers will just shift from live to classic servers.
    I think you are being a little too optomistic on when this is coming out. It will be well after the next expansion. They don't even have a team or timelines for when this is going to happen yet. They said it would be a while, which is a LONG time in Blizzard time. I would say you will probably get it by the next expansion, after Battle for Azeroth, if you are lucky. 
    Ghavrigg
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,934
    They might decide to charge more for it too which is fine by me though if they have to do extra work to bring it back they charge for the new client and a sub . I would gladly pay that over any donation that go to the private server thieves.

kitarad said:
    They might decide to charge more for it too which is fine by me though if they have to do extra work to bring it back they charge for the new client and a sub . I would gladly pay that over any donation that go to the private server thieves.
    Another thing about this is that any changes they make could cause an outcry of "ITS STILL NOT VANILLA WOW WAHHH WAHH WAHH!". They are pretty much going to make very few people happy with this. Some people don't want content patches, some people want through Nax, some people want stuff like the AQ gate event, some people want balance changes, some people don't want balance changes, some people want it to be more of a progression server, some don't. They can't win. 
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 2,993
    I think this is wonderful news, but not maybe for the reasons you might think.

Blizzard's ongoing fight with the 'personal servers', i.e., illegal reproductions of their IP, are so difficult to prosecute that Blizzard has chosen to compete with these servers, as competing is probably cheaper than fighting with the legal systems around the world.  At least, that's my opinion on why they changed their rather hard-line stance.  Even if the technical issues are complicated and expensive, the worldwide laws covering IPs isn't standardized enough to make it feasible to protect their property through the court systems.  This might be a case of Blizzard losing faith in the courts to protect their game, so they decided to run them out of business instead.

This may also have quite a few ramifications for other projects, namely Pantheon.  We may see some tangible proof of how powerful the nostalgia factor is in the MMORPG market place.  It will be interesting to see if this 'Vanilla WoW' service can actually survive for a year or more.  Moreover, it could be equally interesting to see how VR is going to try to take customers from Blizzard.  If 'Vanilla Wow' is successful, it, coupled with 'Current Wow' may sweep up all the customers, making Blizzard the undisputed source for MMORPGs.  While I doubt this is a move against all the other 'nostalgia-fueled' games in development, it just might be a significant hurdle for CoE, CU and Pantheon to achieve some kind of market traction.  Something that these other companies hadn't expected.

Is the nostalgia for EQ stronger than the nostalgia for WoW?  It should be fascinating to watch -- both the fans' reactions and companies' maneuvers.

I missed out on the initial WoW experience.  By the time I tried WoW, there had been a couple of expansions, and I was far (far, far, far) behind my friends and the general population.  It might be a pleasant diversion to give it a look-see.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.