Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING NEWS: Blizzard Announces Vanilla Servers - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    I actually didn't care for vanilla LuL. I think the game peaked at Wrath of the B-tch King.
    While I think this will please a lot of people, I think far more will realize they looked back with rose colored glasses. In vanilla, quest rewards mostly sucked, gear wasn't particularly exciting, raids and dungeons were fairly few and not accessible to many. Character progression came to a halt fairly quickly.
    Wrath resolved many of those issues... maybe they don't intend on making it exactly like it was in vanilla, but he seemed to indicate he wanted it to be authentic.
    Panther2103Zeneren
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2017
    SBFord said:
    If you watched the opening ceremony, J. Allen Brack announced it. The WoW panel is in about 1/ 2 hour and we'll learn more then. We'll have a new post going with more details about the expansion and the classic servers.
    Thanks for clarification and edit.

It does seem to me more like he talked about Pristine realms rather than vanilla.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    wait, is it April first already?
    waynejr2Mendel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    It is very true that we need a lot more specific details about this. I foresee "adjustments" being made to allow more modern hosting of it. What those changes may be is what interests me. 

There could be RMT impacts due to tackling gold sellers and alignment to their new business model. There could also be many opportunities to clean the game up and make a more logical progression in content and balance compared to historical content release which never met real demands back in the day.

You stay sassy!

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Who are Blizzard to say no to people paying them money for 13 year old content.
    Tillerstoiansl
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Gdemami said:
    SBFord said:
    If you watched the opening ceremony, J. Allen Brack announced it. The WoW panel is in about 1/ 2 hour and we'll learn more then. We'll have a new post going with more details about the expansion and the classic servers.
    Thanks for clarification and edit.

It does seem to me more like he talked about Pristine realms rather than vanilla.
    They reversed through all of the previous cinematics and then played the vanilla cinematic. Then they showed the logo that said "World of Warcraft: Classic"
    Thupli
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Pretty cool!
    --------------------------------------------
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

People kept saying "Blizzard would only do it if it was financially viable, so obviously it isn't". Well obviously it is. 

Obviously they believe it may be, enough to try it out anyway.

Time will tell how many squeaky wheels really wanted that grease, and how many just thought it was so. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017

Rhoklaw said:

styopa said:

Didn't expect this at all. I think a lot of people with fond memories will get a shock at how basic and grindy the game was at launch. It would seem like such a basic and empty MMO experience these days and be lacking tons of features. In my opinion, obviously.

You mean, aside from all the thousands and thousands of people that have begged for precisely this after ACTUALLY PLAYING on vanilla servers and loving it?

Aside from them?

People who play on private servers are a very small vocal minority considering the size of the fan base. Of course there's going to be people that do want this but I'm willing to bet the majority of people that think they want this probably won't when they get their hands on it. It'll have it's niche audience, no doubt. At first it'll explode with population but I'll be surprised if it doesn't drop off fairly quickly.

Unless... they modernise it with current tech and features.. but then that's not really classic.

Except EQ and DAoC and all the EMU servers say otherwise. Sometimes, Classic or even Progression servers are good to reboot a dying game. Not that WoW is by any means dying, unless you count down 50% of your player base as a sign of what is to come. Whether it's a vocal minority or not, plenty of AAA companies in the past didn't even bat an eyelash about whether or not to open their classic servers. It's not always about making huge profits. It's about maintaining good relations with past and future customers.

I'm not saying it's a bad move. Options are great and that's a good enough reason to do it on it's own. I might even give it a go myself if I hear the world PvP is as active as it was at launch.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AurorikinAurorikin Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I'll be there!
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    edited November 2017
    If this happens I'll be there day one!
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Well slap me naked and feed me cornbread!

Never thought I would see this from Blizzard. I thought it was clickbait thread.
    Asheram
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    They said they made too many changes and don't have the original version of the game....lies ?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    leveling on private servers is fun but I lost interest once I hit the level cap. the way you get gear in vanilla dungeons was a nightmare. I will likely sub and return for it on an official server though. Just as a thank you
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017

kitarad said:

They said they made too many changes and don't have the original version of the game....lies ?

In an interview with the CEO he was saying they are going to have to do a lot of reverse coding to get it going. They have the plan in place and are sure they can do it but I got the impression they were only just starting it. I wouldn't expect it any time soon.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     Was impressed they kept saying no to people ... not sure what to make of this. Vanilla wow was boring(to me) ... people remember it fondly because it was their first Mmo. I've been back to a "classic" server for my first mmo which had much more content than wow... and it got boring fast. Best of luck to people, play what you enjoy .. but meh. A progression based WoW server would have much stronger appeal for me.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Rhoklaw said:

styopa said:

Didn't expect this at all. I think a lot of people with fond memories will get a shock at how basic and grindy the game was at launch. It would seem like such a basic and empty MMO experience these days and be lacking tons of features. In my opinion, obviously.

You mean, aside from all the thousands and thousands of people that have begged for precisely this after ACTUALLY PLAYING on vanilla servers and loving it?

Aside from them?

People who play on private servers are a very small vocal minority considering the size of the fan base. Of course there's going to be people that do want this but I'm willing to bet the majority of people that think they want this probably won't when they get their hands on it. It'll have it's niche audience, no doubt. At first it'll explode with population but I'll be surprised if it doesn't drop off fairly quickly. Unless... they modernise it with current tech and features.. but then that's not really classic.
    Except EQ and DAoC and all the EMU servers say otherwise. Sometimes, Classic or even Progression servers are good to reboot a dying game. Not that WoW is by any means dying, unless you count down 50% of your player base as a sign of what is to come. Whether it's a vocal minority or not, plenty of AAA companies in the past didn't even bat an eyelash about whether or not to open their classic servers. It's not always about making huge profits. It's about maintaining good relations with past and future customers.
    A niche of a niche says otherwise?

No, it really doesn't.
    They could ask Shenna haha
    RexKushman

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    kitarad said:
    They probably "borrowed it" from Nostralius... at least I hope they did - that'd be some awesome symmetry :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited November 2017
    Iselin said:
    kitarad said:
    They probably "borrowed it" from Nostralius... at least I hope they did - that'd be some awesome symmetry :)
    I can't possibly see them doing that. That code is largely open source and Blizzard has no claim on earning money from it. It is also a completely crap platform they wouldn't touch in a million years.

Nothing Blizzard does comes out of nowhere. The drama over the last 1.5 years likely had Blizzard working on this for some time and it will launch with their own proprietary software and integrated into their current online format.
    PhryMrMelGibson

You stay sassy!

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    OH HELL YES!!!!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I wonder if they will keep the graphical upgrades for the classic server. My guess is yes (?)
    PhryMadFrenchie[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited November 2017
    "We think we have a way to run the Classic servers on the modern technical infrastructure," Brack says. "The infrastructure is how we spin up instances and continents, how the database works. It’s those core fundamental pieces, and running two MMOs of that size is a daunting problem. But now we think we have a way to have the old WoW version work on the modern infrastructure and feel really good."
    http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

IselinMadFrenchielaserit

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

It's going to take awhile and the team handling it is separate from the team handling the expansion.