Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What graphics do you like or dislike and why

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
My preferred graphics are:

- As close to realistic as possible and sharp. I thought that Lineage 2 had really good graphics. NW had good graphics. BDO and archeage look great. The ideal scenario for me would be a game that looked and played like the cinematics for ESO. I know, it would never hold up on a server, but would be fun to play with graphics that good. 

- Cartoon Graphics: I dislike it as I prefer more realistic, I can deal with it though. Wow is like that, I looked at crowfall and I am not a fan of the graphics. 

- Outdated graphics: I played darkfall age of agon and I think the graphics were a turn off. Just too outdated for me. 

- Anime/japanese style: I despise it. The female characters look disgusting, either in a provocative school outfit or in some whacked out whore-world. I hate when sex appeal invades things that have nothing to do with it. I could never take a game like that seriously. I also don't like the artwork. 

I recently bought Conan Exiles and it is a fun game. The graphics are better than I expected, the world is nice and crisp, the avatars are atrocious though and buggy as hell. But I do like the graphics though. 

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I like most graphic styles with the exception of anime. I can't stand that shit.
    ScorchienkjempffAgent_Joseph[Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    You are mistaking graphics with art/theme/style..../yawn
    [Deleted User]SovrathConstantineMerusanemoKonfessXarkoAUNE2018
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I like anime and semi-realistic fantasy.  Bonus points if there's some kind of art nouveau flavor.  I hate pixel art, bobble-heads, voxels, lego-people, and anything with dull, washed-out colors and gritty dirty characters and locations.  I'm not fond of western superhero style, but it's not as bad as some other things.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Good graphics = Clearly communicates the gameplay and fits the tone of the game.

Bad graphics = Messy / blurry, and / or don't match the gameplay or tone.

Note: Graphics = textures + models + animations + post-processing effects, any one of them being 'off' can ruin the graphics of a game.
    QuizzicalKilraneArglebargle
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited November 2017
    Hmm, I did screw up graphics and art-style. Makes sense, I have zero artistic capability. I think the Mona Lisa is a piece of shit. That's how useless I am on art. 

Let me rephrase. I don't like artistic themes of (whatever crowfall is), anime, cartoon. I like sharp and detail and as close to realistic as possible. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    (whatever crowfall is)
    Crowfall is a gothic fantasy style.  Probably stylized western gothic fantasy if you want to be more specific.

Similarly, all anime isn't the same - I hate dragonball Z style squashed foreheads, I tolerate stick-figure shojo style like Utena and Sailor Moon, and I like detailed shojo like anything by CLAMP and semi-realistic shonen style like Naruto and Bleach.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I dislike Chibi anime styled games. I have nothing against anime as such but anime games often tend to look like they are done for small kids,  I guess they use the chibi style since it is easy but it looks terrible for me.

Besides that it is more important how much effort is put into it then the actual style.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I prefer cartoon and anime style or mixed between those 2 styles . At my point of view , realistic style is bad investments .
    The so call realistic is half baked and eyes hurting , easy to outdate and require expensive PC to run good

Crowfall is a gothic fantasy style.  Probably stylized western gothic fantasy if you want to be more specific.

Similarly, all anime isn't the same - I hate dragonball Z style squashed foreheads, I tolerate stick-figure shojo style like Utena and Sailor Moon, and I like detailed shojo like anything by CLAMP and semi-realistic shonen style like Naruto and Bleach.
    I believe the term is "Dark fantasy", but whatever, I like it myself. TCoS had a similar theme.:)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I normally also prefer a photorealistic art style in games but I can also enjoy a more cartoonish look if it's done well or fits the theme. It's perfect for WOW because of its roots in the RTS Warcraft games with its goofy peons.

But I hated that EQ Next was going that way to, I imagine, make it fit with its destructible voxel structure.

And I've never been a fan of anime either with its emphasis on sexualized pre-teens and metrosexual skinny males.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Loke666 said:

I believe the term is "Dark fantasy", but whatever, I like it myself. TCoS had a similar theme.:)
    Gothic fantasy and dark fantasy are each their own thing, though there's a high amount of overlap between them.  Gothic stuff usually has a more elaborate look, like courtly or decadent, while dark fantasy can have more mundane looking things like abandoned shacks or a bar full of bandits in mismatched armor.  But if Crowfall is actually calling itself dark fantasy then I'd go with their choice of term.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I agree with those who do not like the anime graphics.  I want my character to look like a sexy adult woman, not a girl.  Cartoonish style, on the other hand, if done right, can look good.  See the first Torchlight for done right.  :)

One thing that really bugs me is light trails on weapon movement.  If I swing a weapon, why is there a trail of light?  It's a sword/staff/wand, not a light saber.

Clothing (armor, gear) glow.  Jade Dynasty is particularly bad for this: the glow is so bad on some items that it is as if one's character is surrounded, and thus obscured, by a cloud.  Really detracts from the sexiness of the outfits.

This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I like good cartoon so developers can concentrate on THE GAME ITSELF, and everyone can play it ! I have a great computer, but that's for behind the seen power with no crashes.

I'm not so selfish for eye candy to have a half baked game with a promise of future content. 

I'm waiting for Pantheon.  With years of pre and post development, I'm highly concerned if it will play and be a coding mess....... But hay, it looks nice for the selfish graphics people :(    
    I like good cartoon so developers can concentrate on THE GAME ITSELF, and everyone can play it ! I have a great computer, but that's for behind the seen power with no crashes.

I'm not so selfish for eye candy to have a half baked game with a promise of future content. 

I'm waiting for Pantheon.  With years of pre and post development, I'm highly concerned if it will play and be a coding mess....... But hay, it looks nice for the selfish graphics people :(    
    I don't think anyone here thinks that graphics is more important then actual gameplay, pretty but lousy MMOs do generally badly after all.

However, that a MMO is pretty demanding at launch is not a huge deal since it is a game that will be around and updated for a long time, if some people have to wait until their hardware catch up it is not the end of the world.

Also, competent programmers make a pretty game run far better then a worse looking game with bad code. Everquest 2 for instance still runs rather poorly even on new hardware 13 years after release, it is not because of it's wonderful graphics but because ity have a crappy engine.

I get far better FPS in GW2 then EQ2 and the reason for that is not EQ2s more realistic style.

It is easier to make cartoony games look good with lower polygon count, I will not debate that but a good engine and good art is what really matters to how the game will run and look, not the specific style.

Personally I don't care the exact style (again, unless it is chibi) as long as the artists are competent.

And yeah, I am also worried about how well Pantheon will run. It is hard to forget Vanguard after all but I hope Brads new team is more competent then the old. :)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited November 2017
    I like anime style because I watch a tonne of anime the art style is one I love. I love cartoons of all type actually I don't have a dislike for any art style because an art style is only as good as the message it wants to deliver. I have watched some bad looking cartoon or anime that have had a fantastic story that in the end I fell in love with the art too and it became something I can instantly recognize.

Hating a style just because you dislike how it looks will deprive one of some great stories so no I don't really have any art style I truly dislike.

Some stories like anime Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica has such deep frightening themes and I would  never have watched it if I just dismissed it for the art style.

All games must first and foremost be engaging and worth playing before I worry about the art style. I can take any art style if the game is good enough.

My husband and son watch anime and cartoons too my husband never used to watch any anime but I got him to watch and now he watches them on the TV . I think he was quite surprised how very wide and eclectic the choice of anime really can be.

I would never have even known what Karuta is if I had not watched Chihayafuru. Anime has taught me so many things about other cultures and opened me up to stories I would never have experienced.

People generally associate little girls dressed as grown ups to anime but  anime has many many different styles within it but without exposing yourself to the anime you would not know that.
    Image result for karuta chihayafuru

Chihayafuru has none of the the things you all associate with anime. Neither does Stein's Gate a mind boggling scifi.
     Okay I take that back about Stein's gate I just remembered the cat cafe.

https://kotaku.com/the-massive-world-of-steins-gate-explained-1753728099

Image result for steins gate

I have never actually bothered with classical music until I watched Nodame Cantabile. I challenge you to find the type of things you associate with anime in that anime. I even began to recognize classical pieces.

Image result for nodame cantabile
    Post edited by kitarad on
    SovrathhupaPhry

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Cryomatrix said:
    I think the Mona Lisa is a piece of shit. That's how useless I am on art.
    :)))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Priceless statement. This should be used in books, movies, lyrics, advertisement, political campaigns, OH MY GOD THE ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES!!! 
    delete5230anemo
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    I do like the Cartoon'ish style, see Sea of Thieves, Fortnite, Overwatch.

On the realistic part only if they have a good immersive approach to you in the game-world, something few games get right.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited November 2017
    it all depends on the setting of the game really, but for my standard medieval fantasy i think WoW's cinematic trailers are just bang on. the closest game i can think of is probably Shadow of Mordor 2, or Skyrim as far as visually coming the closest to perfection. dark, realistic, gritty, bloody, yet with elements of magic and wonder..... those games just aren't mmos. 

i don't really like anime, or cute/childish, or overly exaggerated or disproportionate, or super beautiful or colorful, or cartoony, or super flashy and sparkly, overly sexualized, etc. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't like blocky graphics, it feels like a step backwards to me (Minecraft).  More realistic the better.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited November 2017
    I tend to agree that I like as close to realistic as possible. A bit of stylism helps it age better but MMOs are starting to reach the point that I can come back to the same MMO a few years later and still think it looks good, even for games that are going for more realism. For instance ArcheAge will be 4 years old in 2018 and I still think it's a very visually appealing game.

Some of the more visually appealing games currently in production like Star Citizen and Crowfall. I think it will be quite awhile before I look at games like that and say "this really needs a graphics update!"

But most very old MMOs that went for realism look like they need an update to me. Anarchy Online. LotRO. Even SWTOR to some extent.

Also, making your graphics cartoony doesn't always make them age well IMO. For instance, while I know a lot of people have acquired a taste for it, I think World or Warcraft looks absolutely horrendous.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    SWTOR went for "stylized realism". At least that is the term they were using for it in all the videos promoting the game before release. So not so much realism, but more realism than say... WoW.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    kitarad said:
    I like anime style because I watch a tonne of anime the art style is one I love. I love cartoons of all type actually I don't have a dislike for any art style because an art style is only as good as the message it wants to deliver. I have watched some bad looking cartoon or anime that have had a fantastic story that in the end I fell in love with the art too and it became something I can instantly recognize.

Hating a style just because you dislike how it looks will deprive one of some great stories so no I don't really have any art style I truly dislike.

Some stories like anime Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica has such deep frightening themes and I would  never have watched it if I just dismissed it for the art style.

All games must first and foremost be engaging and worth playing before I worry about the art style. I can take any art style if the game is good enough.

My husband and son watch anime and cartoons too my husband never used to watch any anime but I got him to watch and now he watches them on the TV . I think he was quite surprised how very wide and eclectic the choice of anime really can be.

I would never have even known what Karuta is if I had not watched Chihayafuru. Anime has taught me so many things about other cultures and opened me up to stories I would never have experienced.

People generally associate little girls dressed as grown ups to anime but  anime has many many different styles within it but without exposing yourself to the anime you would not know that.
    Image result for karuta chihayafuru

Chihayafuru has none of the the things you all associate with anime. Neither does Stein's Gate a mind boggling scifi.
     Okay I take that back about Stein's gate I just remembered the cat cafe.

https://kotaku.com/the-massive-world-of-steins-gate-explained-1753728099

Image result for steins gate

I have never actually bothered with classical music until I watched Nodame Cantabile. I challenge you to find the type of things you associate with anime in that anime. I even began to recognize classical pieces.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Anything Asian.  Hate it.  Oversized weapons.  Hate it.  Bikini Armor.  Hate it.  Above all else what I hate the most, and I know its technically not a style/them, I hate clipping.  Its lazy.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    I like whatever I like, basically.

By that, I mean I don't have any particular general preference of graphic style, but may have preferences within a style. What bothers me most is poor execution.

For example, while the general style of graphics in Neverwinter were fine to me, but they had a huge problem with clipping of very basic things, such as fingers through gloves. This caused me to dislike the graphics of the game as the more I looked the more such issues I found.

I suppose the more complex graphics get the more the potential for glitches, so I tend to prefer simplicity over complexity within any given style.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    I think world design is more important than graphics. I mean.. take LOTRO or GW2 for example.. if you judge the graphics, such as the character models, it looks kind of dated now.. but if you look at world design the game looks awesome. It's a good 'package'.

If they get the world design wrong then no amount of tessellation or modern shader tech is going to save it.

Black Desert is an example of a game that gets both right. Shame it's not my type of game. 

Style wise, I'm easy. I can learn to like any style as long as it fits the tone of the game. Like.. Wildstar, wacky art style for a wacky sense of humour. I wish WoW was a bit more realistic since the ongoing story is extremely serious. I didn't like Dishonoured's style. It's cartoony for the sake of it. Nothing about the game's themes and gameplay suit that style. Same with Bioshock. I think both those games would be better if they had a more mature style.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.