Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loot boxes going buh bye

AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
In case someone wants to read the article: http://www.pcgamer.com/dauntless-is-getting-rid-of-loot-boxes/

or if you dont like to read like me:

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited November 2017
    A positive step and I agree with the commentators take on it.

You want to sell me a "sparkle pony" just put it in the store for $50 and be done with it.

But don't hide it behind some RNG mechanic with a .0000015 chance of dropping.

I never fare well with RNG in any situation,  keep it out of my games. 

Now one qualifier, if there's a option to buy it outright (today, tomorrow & forever) and put it in a lootbox, I'm OK with it.
    MadFrenchiePhrySlapshot1188GdemamiTiller

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    I have been so bored lately so I bought this game. It’s actually extremely fun. Not a MMORPG per say as you are limite to only 4 people in a party, but the combat is sooo satisfying. Very well done boss fights. Awesome gear and graphics. Great questing/mission which incentivizes players to help lower level players. At least now I found another game to play when I feel a little burned out on Path of Exile.
    BruceYee
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Good for them .. gonna give it a look also

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Kyleran said:
    A positive step and I agree with the commentators take on it.

You want to sell me a "sparkle pony" just put it in the store for $50 and be done with it.

But don't hide it behind some RNG mechanic with a .0000015 chance of dropping.

I never fare well with RNG in any situation,  keep it out of my games. 

Now one qualifier, if there's a option to buy it outright (today, tomorrow & forever) and put it in a lootbox, I'm OK with it.
    This is how I feel with the added part that they should not be marketed to kids and should have to post the odds.
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    edited May 2018
    Great move on removing lootboxes!   Now if they can only remove the log in queue....lmao
    xmenty

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Anyone doing the open beta?  PMbme your username and I'll look to party with ya whenever I see ya online!

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Good on lootboxes.

On the game itself:  Its a shell of a game that could be really great.  Its devoid of any substance, replayability, and anything in between.  Within the first hour you'll realize that all you'll be doing is queuing up for a mission, kill the monster, return to the city to craft/upgrade.  Rinse and repeat.  The city is huge and lifeless with pointless placeholder buildings that serve no purpose.  The mission maps/world again are lifeless and empty with maybe some antilope running around and aside from the big ONE big baddy you gotta down, thats it.  Lobby simulator at its best.  Needs a lot more.
    MadFrenchieAsm0deusGdemami
    edited May 2018
    cesmode8 said:
    Good on lootboxes.

On the game itself:  Its a shell of a game that could be really great.  Its devoid of any substance, replayability, and anything in between.  Within the first hour you'll realize that all you'll be doing is queuing up for a mission, kill the monster, return to the city to craft/upgrade.  Rinse and repeat.  The city is huge and lifeless with pointless placeholder buildings that serve no purpose.  The mission maps/world again are lifeless and empty with maybe some antilope running around and aside from the big ONE big baddy you gotta down, thats it.  Lobby simulator at its best.  Needs a lot more.
    That's disappointing!  But I'm still gonna give it a try, as I respect the team for foregoing the lootbox craze.

EDIT- I will add that browsing their site already shows multiple items as "coming soon," such as about half the monsters.  Hopefully they'll flesh it out a bit.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    BruceYeeGdemami

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Asm0deus said:
    Great move on removing lootboxes!   Now if they can only remove the log in queue....lmao
    Seriously. Yesterday I waited 3 hours in a 50k person queue just to have maintenance happen and I got kicked. Then today I waited in a 101k person queue, got in, and d/c during loading after the tutorial :( back to the queue.
    Asm0deus said:
    Seriously. Yesterday I waited 3 hours in a 50k person queue just to have maintenance happen and I got kicked. Then today I waited in a 101k person queue, got in, and d/c during loading after the tutorial :( back to the queue.
    Oh snap, well that might put a damper on my trying it tonight then.

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    edited May 2018
    WTF...58000 People in front of me in the Q....LMAO....On Dauntless...
    MadFrenchie
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
    WTF...58000 People in front of me in the Q....LMAO....On Dauntless...
    I left mine in queue while I went and reupped from my smoke connect. At only 15 minutes and 8k people now.... ^.^ Lol.

DMKano said:
    Thanks for the update, but is this really the thread for it?  We're in the Dauntless subforum about a press release regarding their monetization.
    Asm0deusGdemami

edited May 2018
    After 3 or 4 hours finally got in game hunted the first three quest critters to get stuck in a hunt after killing the critter....lol

Fun game so far but has a few wrinkles to iron out which is to be expected nowadays in launch I guess!

Unlike others though I didn't kill the client and requeue and eventually it sent me back to the "play" screen so no need to queue again.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Asm0deus said:
    After 3 or 4 hours finally got in game hunted the first three quest critters to get stuck in a hunt after killing the critter....lol

Fun game so far but has a few wrinkles to iron out which is to be expected nowadays in launch I guess!

Unlike others though I didn't kill the client and requeue and eventually it sent me back to the "play" screen so no need to queue again.

I think you must have been in my game. The same thing happened to be. tried to disconnect the internet but it didn't work. me as Clampus, and my buddy ecvref
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited May 2018
    wow at queue of 108,147

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Myrdynn said:
    wow at queue of 108,147

MadFrenchie
    Myrdynn said:
    Myrdynn said:
    wow at queue of 108,147

That is crazy!  They've got some work to do on their login servers, that's for sure.  I DC'd twice trying to load into Ramsgate after waiting in the queue last night.

DMKano said:
    Having some queue is one thing, I think most player will tolerate up to 10-15min - but this is a failure to properly prepare enough hardware to handle the playerbase.

Not good.

Also people dropping only to get stuck in the queue again - not good.

Other games have had this same issue - and it wasn't good there either.
    Agreed.  I don't think they really fathomed they would have a million players trying to get into the open beta by the time they opened the servers!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    DMKano said:
    Having some queue is one thing, I think most player will tolerate up to 10-15min - but this is a failure to properly prepare enough hardware to handle the playerbase.

Not good.

Doesn't help that they are indie as well so resolving this issue can be up in the air which can lead to a huge drop off due to the lack of speed in addressing said issue. Hopefully this educates both the public and other indie devs in the mmo genre on what they can expect and prepare accordingly at least in terms of how fast they can address issues before an exodus grows too fast.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760
    edited May 2018
    That's nothing I hold the queue record!

111k, that's around 12 hours in queue to get in, is crazy.

I mean I understand, they could only see the numbers they had during the previous tests and prepared for 75K, and that even by MMO numbers is largely beyond normal peaks by being 75k.

Now they have far more than that online, problem with games like this is when they get overwhelming, the cloud allow scalability to deal with it however the main servers such as match-making can't scale and become imposing to the rest.

Also they are one Indie developer this is not a main AAA title that has the capacity to handle huge peaks from day-1, from what I heard the datacenter company they host with hit limits on how many servers they could provide them with already.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    And people said this was DOA with the announcement of MHW coming to PC... wonder if deep down the devs thought so too lol.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    DMKano said:

Not good.

Agreed.  I don't think they really fathomed they would have a million players trying to get into the open beta by the time they opened the servers!
    I know I'm always surprised at the number of people desperate to try something new, and right now!!!

Thousands upon thousands of games yet apparently no one wants to play them. 

Weird.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2018
    You would think in this day and age they would allow for a big rush, of people, during open betas/launch and then downgrade afterwards as population stabilizes.....I mean it's not like this is a first and we are like wtf is happening.....lol

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    This is why you don't start on a weekend.
    MadFrenchieAsm0deus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey