Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for truly cooperative game play

ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
Right, so I'm looking for an MMO with, as the title states, truly cooperative game play not ones where the only real challenge is not getting left behind as the party races through a dungeon or instance.  The setting really isn't important.  General PVE can be solo'ish but the party mechanic has to be difficult and require an in depth knowledge of your role in order for the party to be successful.

Comments

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Most modern MMOs have this; at endgame. If there is one out now which requires grouping during leveling, im unaware of it.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    It is not about the games .. it is about the players.

If no one wants to wait for you, the game does not matter. In this day and age, it is much more fun treating other players as NPCs. Try it .. you may actually like it!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2017

If no one wants to wait for you, the game does not matter. In this day and age, it is much more fun treating other players as NPCs. Try it .. you may actually like it!
    True story, playing single player games lately, and I treat my NPC  companion or party members nicely. 

It's just how I roll.

B)

ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]GorweQuizzical

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Wizard 101.

It's a game aimed for children and you're unlikely to be happy with it, but its buff/debuff mechanisms allow for more co-operation than any other MMO I've seen.
    Velifax

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

True story, playing single player games lately, and I treat my NPC  companion or party members nicely. 

It's just how I roll.

B)

You know at your age you might believe a lot of things that you say or do are normal, but they really aren't. :blush: :cookie:
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Fortnite
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Vanilla WoW, Vanilla DAOC, Project 1999, EVE.... I'm not naming them because I only like classics.... I am because their THE ONLY ONES !!!!!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Either you have to pick some rather ancient game or you have to wait for Pantheon to release.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Loke666 said:
    Either you have to pick some rather ancient game or you have to wait for Pantheon to release.

Even ancient games have changed to a solo experience.  It's best to find an emulator version.  The classics had sold their soul to make their games easy too.
    Velifax
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Loke666 said:

Even ancient games have changed to a solo experience.  It's best to find an emulator version.  The classics had sold their soul to make their games easy too.
    True, but even a classic that have been dumbed down quite a bit still is far from a modern MMO. You would of course be better of with a vanilla server or something like project 1999.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Loke666 said:
    Loke666 said:

True, but even a classic that have been dumbed down quite a bit still is far from a modern MMO. You would of course be better of with a vanilla server or something like project 1999.
    I discovered this as I was hunting for EQ Classic; tried the Live version for a good bit before realizing that I was settling and that the true experience was available. 

Before that realization though I was certainly impressed with how far EQ Live was from Live WoW. There was just no contest; it is challenging, deep, and retained a large measure of the original feel. 

Plus, almost by definition, there is a SHITLOAD of content.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:

It's just how I roll.

B)

lol .. really?

True story, playing multi-player games lately, and I treat my party members like NPCs. No talking, just play and have fun as if they are NPCs. 

It's just how i roll.

B)