Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citizencon 2017: Procedural Cities & other highlights

Comments

• IzzinIzzin Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I can only hope that the colonization that we perceive is only the framework of what will be possible.  I want to see the chance to develop these small colonies into thriving player driven cities. Not just glorified housing. 

Put some of the tools into the hands of the players, allow us to use a limited form of the procedural tech to place structures, AI, etc.  

There should be plenty of land, granted we dont know how large the settlement plots will be yet. if things get tight, we know that there are more planets in the pipeline.

Just imagine the possibilities. 

-Izz
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Having land in an open PvP world will be interesting. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Having land in an open PvP world will be interesting. 
    Exactly.

They mentioned that these bases will be attackable and salvageable.

In Empire space attackers have to deal with the NPC police, so it will be more like a smash and grab before NPC forces and/or reenforcements chase you away.

But outside Empire space there wont be NPC defenders. How does CIG handle the time zone issue that is such a PITB for CCP in EVE Online ? Will there be something like impenetrable reenforced shields with a timer like CCP did in EVE ?  Or will we have marauding hordes of Aussie players in Star Citizen ransacking everyones bases in off-prime-time hours ?

Have fun
    Octagon7711
    Perhaps hire an NPC security force for 24/7 protection.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Perhaps hire an NPC security force for 24/7 protection.  
    That is one of the possibilities CIG mentioned. Cuts into profits big time.

And lets be honest ... a player force will always be able to kill NPC defenders once they have figured out the NPC defense scripts. In EVE i was running 10/10 sites in 0.0 space with the Ultima station as NPC defender, able to one shot player ships. Unless you knew how to confuse the NPC defense script with small highly maneuverable ships that the station could hit at best only with grazing hits. Ships that we then easily remote repaired before the next shot. After that it was just patience, slowly blasting through defenses and then do "item farming".

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    If they do it they must deal with one of the most ancient dramas about this:
    People purposedly raiding bases while owners are offline, oh everyone gets so salty.

Either that is via OP NPC protection, games usually fix this with offline protection (owner player / org responsible officers offline).

And for the actual attacks, I hope there's good timers to be alerted of one attack and react to it, after all we see on SC there won't be fast-travels around so it would be logical that this shouldn't be a quick process to balance out, at least I think that's fair?
  • IzzinIzzin Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Another thing about all of the procedural interiors, what would the possibility of ground based missions to clear a complex from terrorists, aliens, etc. 

--izz
    Odeezee
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited October 2017
    None of this matters if they cant get 3.0 working. How long have they taken to get to what most call well behind where they should be and you think they will get what they showed at the con working. Stop drinking the kool-aid.

Let them eat blue cake.
    edited October 2017
    Izzin said:
    Another thing about all of the procedural interiors, what would the possibility of ground based missions to clear a complex from terrorists, aliens, etc. 

--izz
    That clearing out terrorists sounds doable.

Use the SC pirate armors, use the NPC defender scripts from CryEngine (e.g. from Crysis), use the existing SC weapon assets ... presto .... shotout.

Have fun
    edited October 2017
    Izzin said:

--izz
    For the mission giver they have shown, the Miles guy, in some shown voice-acting text files, it shown a mission type Miles gives you to clear a prison and rescue someone from it.

But that specific mission type is not part of the missions available specifically for 3.0.
    MaxBacon said:
    Izzin said:

--izz
    For the mission giver they have shown, the Miles guy, in some shown voice-acting text files, it shown a mission type Miles gives you to clear a prison and rescue someone from it.

But that specific mission type is not part of the missions available specifically for 3.0.
    So what would that do to your reputation?

So what would that do to your reputation?
    Wonders!

Miles is the main mission giver but it seems you have to have a certain degree of reputation, likely both negative and positive to be able to speak to him from what is told.

But I like the mission design, hard prison break to get someone out, the further they go away from the "Can you please go to the end of the world and grab my keys then come back to me? I left them there, k thx!" the better.

This mission I think perhaps would require you to have quite a bad rep to Miles even ask you to do that, Octa'daPirate.
    Also from the graphics panel, one of the new visual things under improvement:

Loq gif but little details as that create awesome effects
    Babuinix
    MaxBacon said:

This mission I think perhaps would require you to have quite a bad rep to Miles even ask you to do that,

So, depending on your rep Miles offers you "the good, the bad and the ugly" ? ;-)

Have fun
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    So, depending on your rep Miles offers you "the good, the bad and the ugly" ? ;-)

Have fun
    lol, pretty much.

But hey it can also offer you the opposite of the ugly if you been a good boy, like a free Idris... ᶠʳᵃᵐᵉᵈ ᵖʰᵒᵗᵒᵍʳᵃᵖʰ.
    One interesting watch is this rewatch livestream of the presentation by one actual CIG employee: 
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/185872800?t=54m43s

He answers several questions and explains several things through it, but what I love about it is how he reacts in key moments, shows how they share the hype and excitement of the backers on the stuff they are doing.

I think it's worth a watch.
    Gdemami
    Also, Sean Tracy posted a clarification about the procedural interiors,  https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/not-interiors-in-every-damn-building-slightly-smil

This is how I perceived at first @Erillion, one entire city as Arccorp wouldn't be, neither would it be any reasonable and logical to ever do full interiors on something of that scale. Now the crafted landing zone and surroundings that's just that healthy mix that gets the best of both worlds.
    Gdemami
    I never expected every single house across the planet to have full interiors. Does not make sense when no one is there to see it.

But whenever a player is there e.g. for a mission, it could be generated as needed.

And w.r.t. art fatigue .... see my other posting about giving the tool into the hand of modders ... and you have 1000 content generators and 10000 artists generating stuff for free that CIG can pick and choose. Works for other games.

Have fun

Gdemami
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    I never expected every single house across the planet to have full interiors. Does not make sense when no one is there to see it.

But whenever a player is there e.g. for a mission, it could be generated as needed.
    I think it's because of the repetition factor, focus on the crafted areas where the players land, and use procedural stuff to give scale is always what I saw as the best balance.

I also think this is a very special case with Arccorp being on the design a fully urbanized planet, if we talk Hurston then that's another story, makes sense to generate interiors, place NPCs through the city, within the free-roam / land anywhere approach.

Erillion said:
    And w.r.t. art fatigue .... see my other posting about giving the tool into the hand of modders ... and you have 1000 content generators and 10000 artists generating stuff for free that CIG can pick and choose. Works for other games.
    It's a crazy idea for me, if it was to create a colossus of assets they could do it themselves, it's not about the capability of artists to come up with new assets, there are reasons to contain it and that's why we see them reusing as much as possible.

Say Arccorp itself was 2GB of assets, if they created 2GB of unique assets per area only on planets/moons/landing zones we would easily end up in a +200GB install.
    Gdemami
    >>> Say Arccorp itself was 2GB of assets, if they created 2GB of unique assets per area only on planets/moons/landing zones we would easily end up in a +200GB install. >>>

Swap as needed.

We saw them quantum driving for 8 min from ArcCorp to Hurston. More than enough to load in a new art package for Hurston in the background. Does not have to be in the install.

And you can do the same for any new planet.

Have fun
    Gdemami
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    That would be amusing if the game took up 200 GB of HDD space. It would be known as the computer game that cost $1M per GB.
    Odeezee
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    >>> Say Arccorp itself was 2GB of assets, if they created 2GB of unique assets per area only on planets/moons/landing zones we would easily end up in a +200GB install. >>>

Swap as needed.

We saw them quantum driving for 8 min from ArcCorp to Hurston. More than enough to load in a new art package for Hurston in the background. Does not have to be in the install.

And you can do the same for any new planet.

Have fun
    Star Citizen's minimum requirement would be 40 Mbit/s net connection to do the streaming en route, and they'd need to start charging monthly fees to cover up costs of that much net traffic.

Also they'd need to design their solar systems so that all major destinations are at least that far away from each other and design crossroads appropriately so that the game is able to predict where you'll fly.

It's not impossible, but having a +200GB install size would be lesser evil.

It was my understanding that the 2 GB mentioned above was an abitrary number by @MaxBacon

The art itself could be much less. And you only need the first part for "arrival". You can load in the rest in the background while you are on planet. That reduces the 40 Mbit/s net connection requirement you mentioned.

Have fun
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Erillion said:
    It was my understanding that the 2 GB mentioned above was an abitrary number by @MaxBacon

The art itself could be much less. And you only need the first part for "arrival". You can load in the rest in the background while you are on planet. That reduces the 40 Mbit/s net connection requirement you mentioned.
    You've likely already seen in demos how hard it's for RSI to make it so that object don't seem to pop into existence too late when you approach the planet from space.

Imagine how hard it would be if the game would also need to stream art for those objects real-time through net.
    Odeezee

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    None of this matters if they cant get 3.0 working. How long have they taken to get to what most call well behind where they should be and you think they will get what they showed at the con working. Stop drinking the kool-aid.

Let them eat blue cake.
    Honestly I don't think most Star Citizen fanboys care about an actual working game. It's about pretty space ships, potential and possibilities. They are not going to let reality ruin their head in the clouds pipe dream and continue to throw money at it.

Don't get me wrong it would be awesome if they pull it off but I don't think it's too big to fail. I think it's going to be a case of the bigger you are the harder you fall. Going to be a lot of disappointment...

Then again maybe people will be just as excited 2, 3, or 5 years from now when they are still selling space ships for an unfinished game.

Any way it goes it will  be interesting to be on the side lines and watch it go down.
    RhimeArglebargleOdeezee

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/