Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BORING

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,294
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    I actually craft my own armor. However, go to one of those guild traders, there are several close by to the crafting area in Vivec (or and other places as well) or you can join a guild and by from the guild Market.

Sadly that's not a viable way for low level players to gear up any longer. It was, way back when but it's extremely rare to find gear of any level other than max level for sale at guild traders these days.

But I'm actually befudled that anyone of any level would have a hard time finding gear when it drops like crazy everywhere from random mobs, quest rewards, treasure chests, dungeons... It's so plentiful that crafting your own other than at max level is just a side hobby if you have the mats and want to do it for fun.

And don't buy it from NPC vendors - it's just overpriced, extremely basic crap with no set bonuses.

About the only way that you could possibly fail to gear up just by playing the game is if you do no quests, kill no mobs, do no dungeons and open no chests. There's also those Dolmen public events that happen every 5 minutes or so in most zones: you are 100% guaranteed to get some gear from those every time when it ends. It is subject to RNG of course, so you won't necessarily get exactly what you're looking for but play the game actively enough and you'll get what you want and have more gear than you'll know what to do with.

And there are delves and public dungeons too of course. Each delve has one rather wimpy boss that is guaranteed to drop some gear of one of the 3 sets specific to that zone. Public dungeon bosses are a bit tougher to solo but there typically 5 or 6 of those in each public dungeon and they also have a 100% drop rate for zone-specific set pieces.

If you find a zone that has a set of gear you like just stick around there for a while, do the delves, public dungeon and dolmens - all of which are repeatable after a short 5 minute wait - and you will have a full 5 piece set of what you want in a couple of hours. And as a bonus that will give you a break from too many stories :)
    I agree.  I've leveled classes and never crafted anything except at the very start of the game to understand the process.  All my gear is from quests and drops.  Dark Anchors drops sets that are different in each zone and they go up in quality the longer you grind them.  Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Wardens quests lines gives nice sets according to  your level.  They really have improved gear drops.
    Yeah. It was one of the less talked about features of the One Tamriel update a year ago. Before that patch set gear was pretty limited, rare and mostly something you got from 4-man dungeons.

Put that patch added a huge pile of new sets that drop everywhere like candy now.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,659
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    I actually craft my own armor. However, go to one of those guild traders, there are several close by to the crafting area in Vivec (or and other places as well) or you can join a guild and by from the guild Market.

Sadly that's not a viable way for low level players to gear up any longer. It was, way back when but it's extremely rare to find gear of any level other than max level for sale at guild traders these days.

If you find a zone that has a set of gear you like just stick around there for a while, do the delves, public dungeon and dolmens - all of which are repeatable after a short 5 minute wait - and you will have a full 5 piece set of what you want in a couple of hours. And as a bonus that will give you a break from too many stories :)
    Huh, well that speaks to me being more active when the game came out and not realizing things changed! shame that. Sort of like buying gear in Lord of the Rings Online where you only find higher level gear.

Good thing I craft my own! One of the only games where I actually enjoy crafting.

Interesting that I can repeat delves and get a set of gear. Will try that. Thanks.

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,387
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    @Gorwe have you tried several classes? Because despite having the weapon skills in common, they really play very differently.

Yeah, they do.

Nightblade is very, very interesting. Even if I use Staves. Doubly so with dual wield and what not.

Dragon Knight is also very fun. I'm just not a fan of Dragon theme, but there you have it. I've other two attributes, no?

Sorcerer's boring as it gets. I get the feeling that you either stand behind a pet(at least have a pack of them like any respectable summoner!) and use Destro Staff skills or you use Lightning skills. Meh. Maybe the Ltng tree's fun? Didn't try it. Other two are appalling tbh.

Templar's good enough. Very effective, but not terribly fun.

Imo:

NB > DK > Temp > Sorc

But I find the entire combat really confusing and spammy. It is a really bad combat system. At least for me.

edit: Also, where do you buy armor and stuff? I tried going to armorer, but all it sells are RNG boxes that give you a random piece of armor of corresponding armor class.

This game's so confusing. It's one of those games that you've to prepare yourself to play it. I don't like those.

I agree with you I don't like the combat system. Which is a shame as I like the combat system in Oblivion/Skyrim where hitting your opponent means you can hit and do good damage. In this system, hitting your opponent generates resources which you then use to power your skills.

I'm still trying to stick with my templar but I think you are correct, Dragon Knight is better than the templar.

I've changed to dual wield and that seems a bit better. The Templar is about 46-47 so once I hit 50 I want to see what improves. Probably pick up that bow iselin talked about.

Nah, it's not that DK is BETTER than Templar, it's just that it feels better to me. This is 1-25 or something, but still...

At least it's not as obnoxious as Sorc. I'll take Siphoning + Staves any day in the week over a Sorc.
    Gorwe said:
    Tbh, I prefer how SWTOR did it. Get an empty shell, put an item you like into a cosmetic slot...voila!

ESO's way of doing it is...I don't know, feels bad. Like antiquated or something.

It's fine to prefer whatever from wherever, but the whole point is that gearing up in ESO at any level is so easy it's trivial. You just sort of like, you know, play the game, and it happens :)
    YashaXJamesGoblin
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    Gorwe said:

Nah, it's not that DK is BETTER than Templar, it's just that it feels better to me. This is 1-25 or something, but still...

At least it's not as obnoxious as Sorc. I'll take Siphoning + Staves any day in the week over a Sorc.
    Yeah, I get what you are saying. It "feels" better to me as well.

Sovrath said:

Interesting that I can repeat delves and get a set of gear. Will try that. Thanks.
    At release those delve mini bosses were instantly repeatable as soon as they spawned again. So inevitably, it became a preferred camping spot for bots and other farmers - It was freaking ridiculous for a while.

So they added a timer before they will drop loot for you again ~ 5 minutes or it may be 10 - not 100% sure since the one thing that bores me to tear in MMOs is camping and farming the same mobs over and over.

Just doing a zone "normally" and going to each place just once, doing the quests, etc., pretty well guarantees that you will have a full set of all 3 sets that are specific to that zone. 
    JamesGoblin
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Tbh, I prefer how SWTOR did it. Get an empty shell, put an item you like into a cosmetic slot...voila!

ESO's way of doing it is...I don't know, feels bad. Like antiquated or something.

It's fine to prefer whatever from wherever, but the whole point is that gearing up in ESO at any level is so easy it's trivial. You just sort of like, you know, play the game, and it happens :)
    I just prefer the more controlled way that other MMOs employ is all. I remember doing the whole starter island and getting basically no armor. Or armor of weight class I didn't like. Wasn't better after tbh.

And I guess I grew complacent and now expect these things to simply come to be. Without even playing as it were. Loot 2.0, SWTOR, WoW Heirlooms etc...I'm completely ruined.
    Iselin
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,779
    edited November 2017
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

Agree. Except for that last tiny step to Legendary gear!

(Only slightly better though so not a big deal for most players whilst providing both an "end game" objective and a reason to craft.)
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

I just prefer the more controlled way that other MMOs employ is all. I remember doing the whole starter island and getting basically no armor. Or armor of weight class I didn't like. Wasn't better after tbh.

And I guess I grew complacent and now expect these things to simply come to be. Without even playing as it were. Loot 2.0, SWTOR, WoW Heirlooms etc...I'm completely ruined.
    Part of the problem is the conspicuous lack of an AH system in ESO. The guild trader system for all of it's quaint and RP-friendly charm, is sadly lacking in many respects - the absence of low level gear for sale is one of those.

And it actually has nothing to do with population level: when you're in a guild and want to sell items through the guild store you are limited to 30 items at a time. It just makes more sense to sell 30 X 1,000+ gold items than waste some of your slots on things that will sell for 50 G.

Low level gear typically just either gets deconstructed for mats or vendored.
    YashaXrodingoGorwe
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    edited November 2017
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

Part of the problem is the conspicuous lack of an AH system in ESO. The guild trader system for all of it's quaint and RP-friendly charm, is sadly lacking in many respects - the absence of low level gear for sale is one of those.

And it actually has nothing to do with population level: when you're in a guild and want to sell items through the guild store you are limited to 30 items at a time. It just makes more sense to sell 30 X 1,000+ gold items than waste some of your slots on things that will sell for 50 G.

Low level gear typically just either gets deconstructed for mats or vendored.
    And people like me end up :( :(
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,969
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:

But I'm actually befudled that anyone of any level would have a hard time finding gear when it drops like crazy everywhere from random mobs, quest rewards, treasure chests, dungeons... It's so plentiful that crafting your own other than at max level is just a side hobby if you have the mats and want to do it for fun.

And don't buy it from NPC vendors - it's just overpriced, extremely basic crap with no set bonuses.

About the only way that you could possibly fail to gear up just by playing the game is if you do no quests, kill no mobs, do no dungeons and open no chests. There's also those Dolmen public events that happen every 5 minutes or so in most zones: you are 100% guaranteed to get some gear from those every time when it ends. It is subject to RNG of course, so you won't necessarily get exactly what you're looking for but play the game actively enough and you'll get what you want and have more gear than you'll know what to do with.

And there are delves and public dungeons too of course. Each delve has one rather wimpy boss that is guaranteed to drop some gear of one of the 3 sets specific to that zone. Public dungeon bosses are a bit tougher to solo but there typically 5 or 6 of those in each public dungeon and they also have a 100% drop rate for zone-specific set pieces.

I agree.  I've leveled classes and never crafted anything except at the very start of the game to understand the process.  All my gear is from quests and drops.  Dark Anchors drops sets that are different in each zone and they go up in quality the longer you grind them.  Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Wardens quests lines gives nice sets according to  your level.  They really have improved gear drops.
    Yeah. It was one of the less talked about features of the One Tamriel update a year ago. Before that patch set gear was pretty limited, rare and mostly something you got from 4-man dungeons.

Put that patch added a huge pile of new sets that drop everywhere like candy now.
    yea, they actually made it far to easy to get gear ... Which i dont like ...
  • tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Getting gear is easy. Getting the right gear is not. 

Playing on par with max lvl players stat-wise is forced, playing on par competency wise is not. It's been a long, long time since I grouped with another 20k+ dps in a dungeon. Most do 5k dps and think they're a gift to the group somehow.

Quests are just as dumb as other MMOs, closest would be SWTOR. "Oh random guy that just walked into town for the first time, please help us". "Ok what should I do?" "Oh do this and that and I'll reward you!" "Ok,done, reward me" "Thank you so much, here's the shittiest reward we could think of, all yours, get lost"

Maurgrim
    tabarjack said:
    Getting gear is easy. Getting the right gear is not. 

Playing on par with max lvl players stat-wise is forced, playing on par competency wise is not. It's been a long, long time since I grouped with another 20k+ dps in a dungeon. Most do 5k dps and think they're a gift to the group somehow.

Quests are just as dumb as other MMOs, closest would be SWTOR. "Oh random guy that just walked into town for the first time, please help us". "Ok what should I do?" "Oh do this and that and I'll reward you!" "Ok,done, reward me" "Thank you so much, here's the shittiest reward we could think of, all yours, get lost"

They're not as dumb as there's too many of them and a lot of them feel...wtf am I doing this? I think...I sure do like things I know, don't I? Hm...
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 2,955
    they finally fixed the issue with character names? because i still cant use some nicks even when i have delete those characters LOOOOOOOOONG time ago is annoying ....i tons of games u can delete a character and create a new one with the same name...but not in TESO ... /shrug
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Warlyx said:
    they finally fixed the issue with character names? because i still cant use some nicks even when i have delete those characters LOOOOOOOOONG time ago is annoying ....i tons of games u can delete a character and create a new one with the same name...but not in TESO ... /shrug
    I don't think it's such a bad idea, not allowing names to be reused.

I would hate to pick a name and realize I just inherited some other character's bad behavior.

Imagine trying to explain that to a bunch of gamers: "Really, someone had this name before me."

Response: Uh huh, sure they did. *you have been kicked from the group*

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,415
    The game sure does have a lot of potential but I find it lacking in the farming aspect that makes a game feel more real. Running through story line after story line can be exhausting and it feels forced and single-player. I was hoping that the PVP would make up for it but every attempt at PVP was mediocre at best. I cracked a smile I think but it was pretty weak compared to what else is out there right now. Maybe if I spent a year playing the game I might enjoy the PVP more but with my toon (level 35-40?) its useless and totally dumb. I don't want to play till the end just to be disappointed as I'm not even sure its worth it. They really could have done a lot more, but I did not expect this game to be as good as it is honestly. As far as ONLINE games go though I only play for the PVP. I'm still not satisfied with Daggerfall, Morrowind, etc. and those games have better PVE.

Even the crafting is bad in this game. Seems the only option is the PVE for me to get anywhere but its not as good as their previous OFFLINE games. Maybe I am doing something wrong but having to go around stealing things for crafting materials is ridiculous, they should have harvesting nodes that are more frequent or something. What I have done to level my crafting is really stupid.
    Just a couple of points if you ever feel like having another go at the game (from someone who only plays this for the pvp):

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "farming", but if its just like grinding mobs to level up then there are a couple of good options. My favorite is doing "dolmen" grinds in Auridon (probably also good in the first major zone on each faction). You should be easily able to hit 50 in a few days. (I also find running through story after story taxing).

With the pvp, for me the most fun is when I am playing with my guild (and only the RvR, I don't like the BGs in ESO). If you are low level with crap gear and no friends I can't imagine it would be very interesting. But it won't take you a year; for the level 50 campaigns you will need 160CP to start having fun (because then you can wear the best gear); in the below 50 campaigns you just need decent gear and the right skills unlocked. It took me ages to get 160 CP and I got frustrated and quit several times, but when I learnt how to grind properly and found a good guild it went really quickly.

The crafting is actually excellent: for low level pvp you can make some of the strongest sets through crafting; for level 50-plus pvp the crafted sets are still viable (depending on what build you are going for) and you can buy most of the other gear on the guild AHs. To level crafting its probably fastest to deconstruct items that are at your level or higher: in fact you can buy certain items that will give you lots of crafting xp when you deconstruct them; or if you play with a friend you can get a lot of crafting xp by crafting gear and then deconstructing each other's crafted gear.

The main bottleneck with crafting is not the leveling - its unlocking traits; so make sure you keep researching unknown traits.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,779
    @Sid_Vicious To add to the above the PvP in Imperial City is very different from that in the campaigns. Some say real PvP vs. PvP for those who don't like to PvP! (Since campaigns are more about the team and maybe jumping to your death to get to the action faster vs. Imperial City's in your face and personal.)  And the new BGs are different again.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,392
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:

To get Gold weapons you will have to do a little crafting. Gold items virtually do not drop - I read its special events only(can't confirm).

Dolmens are only guaranteed to drop jewelry. But you are probably going to loot other items, too. One could join a guild, and ask for gear. Its that simple. Someone will make you something. If I have mats I make people stuff, or I tell them to bring me mats. People make me stuff. Its not frowned upon in ESO to ask your guild for help - as long as you give back and aren't a mooch.

I wouldn't bother putting the effort into camping a zone for a few hours just for gear, tbh. I mean, if you enjoy it by all means have it. I just enjoy exploring places, hunting for shards, chest and harvestables. Make good cash, a good character and get xp. Plus you can find some really nice grinding spots(for cash or xp) that are no overpopulated.
    Golelorn said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:

To get Gold weapons you will have to do a little crafting. Gold items virtually do not drop - I read its special events only(can't confirm).

Dolmens are only guaranteed to drop jewelry. But you are probably going to loot other items, too. One could join a guild, and ask for gear. Its that simple. Someone will make you something. If I have mats I make people stuff, or I tell them to bring me mats. People make me stuff. Its not frowned upon in ESO to ask your guild for help - as long as you give back and aren't a mooch.

I wouldn't bother putting the effort into camping a zone for a few hours just for gear, tbh. I mean, if you enjoy it by all means have it. I just enjoy exploring places, hunting for shards, chest and harvestables. Make good cash, a good character and get xp. Plus you can find some really nice grinding spots(for cash or xp) that are no overpopulated.
    There is no easier way to gear up while leveling than to do a zone normally with all it has to offer while at the same time queuing for random dungeons. That will also keep your gear withing 5 levels of your own level where it has the most benefit.

I am currently leveling a warden healer alt and at level 21 his magicka is 43k all with drops from Auridon + the dungeon drops.
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,076
    edited November 2017
    Warlyx said:
    That's strange, because I rerolled my Nightblade Tank from Elf to Nord with the same name and there was no problem reusing the name after deletion.
    You may have hit a bug, maybe you should open a ticket.
    Torval
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Warlyx said:
    Well, if you deleted them long time ago, how can you be sure nobody took them? Trust me, even very rare names(I'm talking about original BERBER names!) are taken, so it simply has to be taken.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,076
    Gorwe said:
    Warlyx said:
    Well, if you deleted them long time ago, how can you be sure nobody took them? Trust me, even very rare names(I'm talking about original BERBER names!) are taken, so it simply has to be taken.
    Hell yeah, I had even trouble finding valid Irish, Scottish or Welsh Celtic names like I usually use. There was only one of my usual names that wasn't taken.
    GorweTorval
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Gorwe said:
    Warlyx said:
    Hell yeah, I had even trouble finding valid Irish, Scottish or Welsh Celtic names like I usually use. There was only one of my usual names that wasn't taken.
    True. I know the basic rule of MMO naming(more letters = better chance of getting the name), but who names his character "Izem"(Lion in Berber)? Besides me ofc. It'd fit a Redguard like a glove!
    Warlyx said:
    That's strange, because I rerolled my Nightblade Tank from Elf to Nord with the same name and there was no problem reusing the name after deletion.
    You may have hit a bug, maybe you should open a ticket.
    There is no issue. I have made and remade countless characters using the same name after deletion.

In his case someone took them.
    Iselin

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,392
    Iselin said:
    Golelorn said:

There is no easier way to gear up while leveling than to do a zone normally with all it has to offer while at the same time queuing for random dungeons. That will also keep your gear withing 5 levels of your own level where it has the most benefit.

I am currently leveling a warden healer alt and at level 21 his magicka is 43k all with drops from Auridon + the dungeon drops.
    I don't disagree. Obviously, doing the entire zone is going to get you all the gear. You're also going to level up beyond that gear very quickly. But to each his own. And you have 43k because your stats are being inflated to 160 CP AKA One Tamriel.