Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BORING

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,409
    Viper482 said:
    I've seriously tried to get into this game, love TES and MMOs. This does neither that well imo. I can't even put my finger on it. 
    Same for me. I thought the Morrowind edition would hook me but i was bored after two weeks. The combat system was designed for the console that's why it really sucks on pc with its limited hotbar and abilities. ESO is just not a real TES game.
    IselinRexKushman
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,076
    edited October 2017
    Darksworm said:

There is nothing unfun about WoW, to the average MMORPG gamer.  That's probably why it's still one of the few games able to sustain itself on a subscription model.  There is a lot of things you can criticize WoW for - being a "snorefest" is definitely not one of them, unless you spend your time in town looking at the screen while you post B.S. about it at the mmorpg.com forums.
    And you sprung my trap, congratulations.
    You can ask veteran posters here, I'm one of the defenders of WoW and also a first time player of that game, who was in beta and started on day one in November 2004. I have two WoW accounts still running today as we speak.

So what's your point? I mean, some valid point, past using assumptions about me and WoW to try to invalidate my also positive opinion about ESO, of course.
    YashaXJamesGoblin
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,076
    Hariken said:
    Viper482 said:
    I've seriously tried to get into this game, love TES and MMOs. This does neither that well imo. I can't even put my finger on it. 
    ESO is just not a real TES game.
    If we talk about ESO as it was at release, I would tend to agree.
    But ESO today with One Tamriel? It's definitely a TES game, and one of the best.
    Jeleenagervaise1klash2defSlyLoKJamesGoblin
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,283
    Hariken said:
    ...with its limited hotbar and abilities. ESO is just not a real TES game.
    I got a laugh out of that one considering the "real" TES games (unless you mod them) are much more limited "hotbar" wise. The default un-modded quick slot system in Skyrim is about as clunky as RPGs get. And if for some unknown reason you want to use something in a fight that isn't quick-slotted, why you can pause it and search for the right skill... how immersive! :)

ESO might have lots of things you can legitimately complain about but that's not something that the SP TES games have over ESO
    Jean-Luc_Picardgervaise1SlyLoKJamesGoblin
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,009
    edited October 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    Mikeha said:
    I gave up on this one a long time ago.

Kano said it best,

Kill, Fetch, Talk rinse and repeat :/

DMKano was actually talking about all mmos. 

ESO is one of those and all mmos are not based around repeated fed ex questing from A-Z.
    Xbox One X
    Sony HT-CT80 Sound Bar
    Vizio 65" M8 Quantum LED 
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I agree. ESO combat SUCKS. Some of the worst out of any MMO. Everything about it sucks. The feel of it, The skills tree etc, the weapons are bland, the character movement sucks. The armor is boring looking, The dye system sucks. Also, I feel like there are too many quests and it just makes the game unnecessarily drawn out. The world mapping/zoning is confusing. The constant Dolmer anchor drops take away from the effect of it since they happen every minute or two. I am trying hard to enjoy this game. I just cannot.

The only good things are the graphics, a big community, the voice acting, the main story quest is good, even though the mapping and zoning is awful the world is huge and a huge world is alwasy good.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,692
    It's one of those games that you have to find a combination of class and skills to like. I usually have trouble sticking to one class and I keep making alts, but not in ESO. Here the only tolerable class/skill for me is Sorcerer + 2H/1H-Shield, may Thor be blessed. Of course that is a personal choice, but give different combos a chance, you might find a fun combat in the end. 
    bcbullyGorwe
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,768
    Mikeha said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Mikeha said:
    I gave up on this one a long time ago.

Kano said it best,

Kill, Fetch, Talk rinse and repeat :/

DMKano was actually talking about all mmos. 

ESO is one of those and all mmos are not based around repeated fed ex questing from A-Z.
    DMKano was talking about all PvE games. And I agree. At the end of the day all - all - come down to some underlying mechanic. Even "building" mmos do.  

If you disagree please list some examples - examples that are not pure PvP games.

What differs between quest based games is how the underlying mechanic is "dressed up". And in that regard ESO - imo - has more going for it than manys games. In addition to its PvP.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,382
    It's one of those games that you have to find a combination of class and skills to like. I usually have trouble sticking to one class and I keep making alts, but not in ESO. Here the only tolerable class/skill for me is Sorcerer + 2H/1H-Shield, may Thor be blessed. Of course that is a personal choice, but give different combos a chance, you might find a fun combat in the end. 

Yes, quite. I quite like Siphoning NB + Resto / Frost staff. Nigh invincible lol. And quite fun. Even in melee I find the NB fun.

Doesn't really help the rest of the game though.

Also, who thought that TES game needed hard classes? A brilliant mind must be. Why shouldn't I take Dark Magic + Siphoning + Shadow Arts? Or heavy summon build(D.Summoning + summon stuff from Warden). Etc etc.

That is the bread and butter of every TES game except this one. Brilliant!
  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Member UncommonPosts: 3,142
    Yeh, if you think ESO questing is boring then you need to change genre cos ESO's questing is bad but it's still one of the best in MMOs due to the presentation and context. Secret World, SWTOR and possibly WoW and Neverwinter are the other good ones. Modern WoW I mean.. since it throws in lots of mini games and stuff. SWTOR for the same reasons as ESO; presentation, voice work, etc. WIldstar is kind of fast paced with mini games too.
    Not even remotely close to one of the best MMOs.
    Alomar

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Personally I find the ESO combat quite enjoyable. Of course I have a stressfull job and like to relax to some degree in my spare time...
    Not sure why someone goes to the length of complaining about an integral game feature for a MMO, don't you have something better to do? If it isn't for you why waste time time. It is rather pointless, so why do it?
    And I play ESO ESPECIALLY because there is no advancement hierarchy. I can play with everyone everywhere in PvE content, jump in for world bosses or run dungeons without regard to my level or the level of people. Makes it very easy to do group content and meet nice people to play with. *shrug* And I don't play for "achievement" anyway, that competitive thing I do have in RL. I play because I enjoy the storylines, excellent lore depth, eloquent writing and very nice voice over.
    SlyLoK

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,409
    Iselin said:
    Hariken said:
    I got a laugh out of that one considering the "real" TES games (unless you mod them) are much more limited "hotbar" wise. The default un-modded quick slot system in Skyrim is about as clunky as RPGs get. And if for some unknown reason you want to use something in a fight that isn't quick-slotted, why you can pause it and search for the right skill... how immersive! :)

ESO might have lots of things you can legitimately complain about but that's not something that the SP TES games have over ESO
    Yeah i don't think Oblivion or Skyrim were good TES games either. 
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,595
    Hariken said:
    Iselin said:
    Hariken said:

lemme guess: daggerfall is the best tes game ever? lol
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"Fear is the most dangerous power"

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

klash2def said:
    Hariken said:
    Iselin said:
    Hariken said:

lemme guess: daggerfall is the best tes game ever? lol
    It's hard to tell around here what people mean when they say "TES games" isn't it? :)

They were all so different and spread out over so many years: some were virtually classless, some mostly class-based, some had spell making, some didn't...

I played them all at the time they were released and noticed the changes as they evolved over time.

My all-time favorite? Arena, the first one lol. Loved my nearly magic damage immune sorcerer (he soaked spells cast at him to regenerate his magicka pool) and the spell maker at the Mage's guild. Graphics look real rough these days but it was pretty damn good back in 1994.

So ESO... yeah, it sure as hell IS a TES game.
    JamesGoblin
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,648
    Iselin said:

You're right, it is.

I've actually enjoyed all the games I've payed, from Morrowind to Skryim. I have a like/hate relationship with Elder Scrolls Online but it "is" an Elder Scrolls game simply because they say it is. Yeah, each game has differences from its predecessor(s) and they might not all have the same things or do things the same but each one adds to the series in their own unique ways. Good and Bad.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,959
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

You're right, it is.

I've actually enjoyed all the games I've payed, from Morrowind to Skryim. I have a like/hate relationship with Elder Scrolls Online but it "is" an Elder Scrolls game simply because they say it is. Yeah, each game has differences from its predecessor(s) and they might not all have the same things or do things the same but each one adds to the series in their own unique ways. Good and Bad.
         Its not quite there for me ..

Skyrim for example is much more of an RPG , where ESO you more or less are just another hero ...
        In Skyrim you can roleplay a Lycan , that spends his time as a hunter Leather Worker , but on the full moon each month you will Kill a Girl for sacrifice in a town ,, for ex..

Or you can wipe an entire town out and steal everything ..

You Cannot do anything like this in ESO .. And the scaling .. i do not like , I didn like it int Oblivion and like it less in ESO .. as just in GW2 .. evry single fight plays out the same and feels the same .. There really is no challenge since Tamriel One .. At least before you could hunt over your head and get into some dicy situtations .. Now .. not so much as everything Scales to you .. blechhhh ..

That being said they have done a great job with the Lore and world , Classes are nice and crafting enjoyable.. Still a good game for what it is .. But for my money Skyrim is a much better ES game ..imo

My favorite ES game is still Daggerfall tho which is well under way being remade in Unity ..
    http://www.dfworkshop.net/

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

You're right, it is.

The only complaint I have against the later TES games is it takes a dozen or so mods just to bring the game up to a solid level of quality in gameplay and graphics.

Leave it to Bethesda to make the community finish the game for them.

Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

You're right, it is.

Skyrim for example is much more of an RPG , where ESO you more or less are just another hero ...
        In Skyrim you can roleplay a Lycan , that spends his time as a hunter Leather Worker , but on the full moon each month you will Kill a Girl for sacrifice in a town ,, for ex..

You Cannot do anything like this in ESO .. And the scaling .. i do not like , I didn like it int Oblivion and like it less in ESO .. as just in GW2 .. evry single fight plays out the same and feels the same .. There really is no challenge since Tamriel One .. At least before you could hunt over your head and get into some dicy situtations .. Now .. not so much as everything Scales to you .. blechhhh ..

That being said they have done a great job with the Lore and world , Classes are nice and crafting enjoyable.. Still a good game for what it is .. But for my money Skyrim is a much better ES game ..imo

My favorite ES game is still Daggerfall tho which is well under way being remade in Unity ..

Well, keep in mind I say it is because they say it is. It's Zenimax's property so if they were to make an fps game like Doom but with Elder Scrolls themes then that would be an Elder Scrolls game.

I realize when people say "Elder Scrolls Game" that they mean a game that has massive exploration, a lot of freedom, etc.

Also, hasn't that Daggerfall remake been long overdo? Or is this a different guy?

edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

You're right, it is.

Yes, RPGs when you're all on your own are different from MMOs. You're right about that.

ESO is at its best when you're doing something in a group. There is no forgetting it's an MMO when you do that.

Soloing? By its very nature it's bound to be inferior to soloing in a type of game that is meant for only soloing... all those annoying "others" infringing on my story and space :)
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,959
    Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

You're right, it is.

Well, keep in mind I say it is because they say it is. It's Zenimax's property so if they were to make an fps game like Doom but with Elder Scrolls themes then that would be an Elder Scrolls game.

I realize when people say "Elder Scrolls Game" that they mean a game that has massive exploration, a lot of freedom, etc.

Also, hasn't that Daggerfall remake been long overdo? Or is this a different guy?
        Nealry done .. latest version is in great shape...
  • VutarVutar Member UncommonPosts: 917
    During development they systematically nerfed xp in as many ways as they could except for questing.  They wanted to slow people down as much as possible.  Slow leveling and lots of time sinks is what really destroys a game. 

Heh, no. Slow leveling does not destroy a game. In fact, fast leveling is what is making so many games be 1 month wonders. Time sinks for the sake of time sinks on the other hand are terrible. 
    gervaise1
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 424
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Does this game actually get interesting? Sure, the audiovisuals are breathtaking and the world building's amazing. Even the little stories are fun and interesting. BUT! The combat S.U.C.K.S. Really, it's one of the worst combat systems I ever saw. No impact, very spammy(this comes from someone who likes the likes of Arsenal Mercenary in SWTOR!), next to no sense of progression(yeah, thanks One Tamriel! I thought that we graduated this issue with Oblivion...guess not), too open zones...

This is almost painful to play. Sure, visiting Hammerfell or Elsweyr or the like is always awesome, but...THAT COMBAT!

Must say... I didn't think I would ever see someone complaining about zones being "too open".

When I see people overstating the level scaling, or insisting there is no progression, I wonder if they've actually really played the game at all. At best, I imagine they saw it has "level scaling", remember that Oblivion had level scaling, and assume it's exactly the same. It's not. It's not traditional level progression, but there is definitely progression there.

A world boss that one-shotted me at level 24 has a much harder time of it now that I'm into my CP levels and have better gear and skills, etc.

If I'm wrong, please post footage of someone on a new character somewhere like Bloodroot Forge, or hell, even Cradle of Shadows, or White Gold Tower, and reliably performing on par with more advanced and developed characters. Post their parse results.

As for the combat... To each their own, I guess. I rather enjoy it.
    gervaise1IselinGorweYashaXJeleena

If I'm wrong, please post footage of someone on a new character somewhere like Bloodroot Forge, or hell, even Cradle of Shadows, or White Gold Tower, and reliably performing on par with more advanced and developed characters. Post their parse results.

They can't any longer (thank God!) at least not through the groupfinder. Level 45+ now since the CwC patch. They took all the version 2 normals and made then 45+ also along with all the DLC dungeons.

The DLC vet runs are also now CP160+... should really be 300 for those but hey, progress.
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,382
    Gorwe said:
    Does this game actually get interesting? Sure, the audiovisuals are breathtaking and the world building's amazing. Even the little stories are fun and interesting. BUT! The combat S.U.C.K.S. Really, it's one of the worst combat systems I ever saw. No impact, very spammy(this comes from someone who likes the likes of Arsenal Mercenary in SWTOR!), next to no sense of progression(yeah, thanks One Tamriel! I thought that we graduated this issue with Oblivion...guess not), too open zones...

This is almost painful to play. Sure, visiting Hammerfell or Elsweyr or the like is always awesome, but...THAT COMBAT!

Must say... I didn't think I would ever see someone complaining about zones being "too open".

When I see people overstating the level scaling, or insisting there is no progression, I wonder if they've actually really played the game at all. At best, I imagine they saw it has "level scaling", remember that Oblivion had level scaling, and assume it's exactly the same. It's not. It's not traditional level progression, but there is definitely progression there.

A world boss that one-shotted me at level 24 has a much harder time of it now that I'm into my CP levels and have better gear and skills, etc.

It's more about the lack of direction than how open it is. I have nothing against big worlds provided you are guided through them. Now, the modern open world sandbox like design? /pass
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:

It's more about the lack of direction than how open it is. I have nothing against big worlds provided you are guided through them. Now, the modern open world sandbox like design? /pass
    I have a friend who just doesn't like games like Skyrim.

he told me that he bought the game, installed it. Played it after the opening for about 15 minutes and deleted it. He also couldn't stand the no guides and open nature.

For me that's the whole point and what makes a game good game "great".
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    GorweJeleena