Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BORING

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited October 2017
    WoW PvE I never found boring...with the caveat that PVE in later expansion zones is far better than vanilla/low level cataclysm zones. Though, nothing thus far has beaten the epic storyline of the Forsaken in terms of zones you level in (not end game zones).

Wildstar PvE is pretty fun thus far, but that is only if you like over the top humor and cartoony gameplay and mechanics...I think its hilarious lol

Most PvE is pretty boring though in MMOs, yeah. GW2 was boring for me, probably the most boring PVE I've done in an MMO. Nothing changes in GW2, everything is on a set timer and resets all the time (where as, in WoW zones can permanently change). The biggest problem is how nerfed they made character builds...GW1 was by far superior, no MMO as far as I know has beat GW1 character builds.

ESO was quite a bit better than GW2...but something feels off when I play it. I dunno. I think it has the same problem of GW2. Imagine if ESO was more like the singleplayer elder scrolls where your character is pretty much like a sandbox character...that be epic. Or even a character build like in GW1 would be just as good.

I think I kinda narrowed down why I always quit so many MMOs with few exception (one of the big ones). The lackluster characters lol. It isn't really even the "builds" (though that is a big one when comparing GW1/GW2), but how fun the class itself is to play. In WoW, each class is amazingly fun and fluid and has so much lore and "character" to them...GW2/ESO doesn't feel like that to me at all to me.

That and the animations and fluidity of each class in WoW feels great...ESO feels really clunky when playing any of the classes. GW2 at least has better animations and feels more fluid, so it has that going for it.
    JamesGoblinjosko9

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,972
    I found the combat to be pretty fun while playing a Stamplar, with 2-hander as my main weapon and dual-wield on the back bar. What I hated was the fact that the quests seemed to have way too much running back and forth to the same places over and over again. I know it's common in theme-park mmo's, but it seemed excessively so in ESO.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,387
    WoW PvE I never found boring...with the caveat that PVE in later expansion zones is far better than vanilla/low level cataclysm zones. Though, nothing thus far has beaten the epic storyline of the Forsaken in terms of zones you level in (not end game zones).

Wildstar PvE is pretty fun thus far, but that is only if you like over the top humor and cartoony gameplay and mechanics...I think its hilarious lol

Most PvE is pretty boring though in MMOs, yeah. <snip>
    I have no problem with a game becoming boring eventually. No problem with people not liking a game either. Neither makes a game "bad".

And - in my opinion - all games become boring at some point. When varies between people. Usually but not always PvE will become boring sooner than PvP due to PvP being "unscripted". Even PvP however - in the same game - becomes boring.

Taking a break usually helps as well especially if some new content (PvE or PvP maps etc.) has been added whilst you have been away. If you leave as soon as you have done the new content boredom may not rear its head; if not it will return however and usually sooner than it did first time around.

Way of the world - mine at least.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,051
    gervaise1 said:

Most PvE is pretty boring though in MMOs, yeah. <snip>
    I have no problem with a game becoming boring eventually. No problem with people not liking a game either. Neither makes a game "bad".

And - in my opinion - all games become boring at some point. When varies between people. Usually but not always PvE will become boring sooner than PvP due to PvP being "unscripted". Even PvP however - in the same game - becomes boring.

Taking a break usually helps as well especially if some new content (PvE or PvP maps etc.) has been added whilst you have been away. If you leave as soon as you have done the new content boredom may not rear its head; if not it will return however and usually sooner than it did first time around.

Way of the world - mine at least.
    Yeah. I've taken 3 breaks from ESO over the years for a month or more each time and even when I do play it actively I do different things when the mood strikes me. I tend to go on binges: questing binges in new areas (like the CWC this past week) or areas I have ignored - I still, to this day have never completed Craglorn nor the DB or Thieves' guild quest lines.

Sometimes I go on dungeon run binges just for fun or with a purpose to go after specific monster masks with the Divine trait for example.

Sometimes I'll do nothing but PVP in Cyrodiil for weeks on end.

And when all of that bores me I know it's time for a break and play either SP games or some other MMO.

Whenever I get bored, that's on me. I don't need to blame something external.
    JamesGoblinPalebane
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,549
    edited October 2017
    idk man hard to say something is definitely "boring" if a whole lot of people enjoy playing it.

Maybe its boring to you and that's fine, that's a opinion based on your own experience with the game. Maybe ESO isn't for you and that's cool. Not everything is for everyone. Just play something else? 

I tried over and over to get into beloved games like Guild Wars 2, and Black Desert but for some reason I cant get myself past the first few hours of content. Idk why, its just every time I get to a certain point I hit the wall of "This isn't for me" and I quit.

I've tried both at least 5 times each and nothing. At that point I cant say, "oh its the game".. its Me. Maybe it's just not my taste, but I do understand that other people enjoy it and find it fun. All the things that may be throwing me off could be things that other people love about it. But again.. everything isn't for everyone and that's fine. 
    TheScavenger
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    klash2def said:
    idk man hard to say something is definitely "boring" if a whole lot of people enjoy playing it.

Maybe its boring to you and that's fine, that's a opinion based on your own experience with the game. Maybe ESO isn't for you and that's cool. Not everything is for everyone. Just play something else? 

I tried over and over to get into beloved games like Guild Wars 2, and Black Desert but for some reason I cant get myself past the first few hours of content. Idk why, its just every time I get to a certain point I hit the wall of "This isn't for me" and I quit.

I've tried both at least 5 times each and nothing. At that point I cant say, "oh its the game".. its Me. Maybe it's just not my taste, but I do understand that other people enjoy it and find it fun. All the things that may be throwing me off could be things that other people love about it. But again.. everything isn't for everyone and that's fine. 
    Yeah, it all depends on the person what they find boring or not. That is great ESO is doing good and has a lot of fans :) Always good to see a good quality game of any genre do well, even if it might not be a game one is into.
    MrMelGibson

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,545
    Gorwe said:
    DMKano said:
    To me ESO PvE questing is beyond boring.

This is why I only PvP in ESO. Stopped doing all PvE content as 3 weeks post launch.

What makes it boring to you?

Same thing that makes it boring in all MMOs - kill X, bring my Y, talk to Z ..... repeat x infinity.

Also I dont read nor care for any lore in MMOs, because it doesnt work for me when NPCs treat each player as they are the only ones that exist - completely oblivious that there are are 100s of thousands players online.

Storylines and lore work great in single player games, but I cant stand them in MMOs.

So I avoid it and skip it in MMOs as much as possible, which is why I prefer games that have options for players who dont quest, or better yet games that have no quests or quest NPCs period.

bcbullyjpedrote52MikehaPhoebes
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,211
    Also, what I was referring to as "boring" was how utterly pointless the game is to me and most of that is caused by One Tamriel. To go around without any progress at all(well...mostly) while being in an MMO that is by its definition a "grind" aka "pointless waste of time"...it's like someone modelled ESO after a wrong TES game(Oblivion). And Oblivion's level scale TRULY SUCKED, no doubt about that!

Also, there's too much running to and fro. This is the exact argument I had vs Age of Conan too. I know that it's "milk the sub dry", but...the sub's optional now, can't we change this?

Guess it's not really for me. Fine. Shame about all those locales though. They seem to have captured the spirit of provinces just fine. But as I already mentioned, besides audiovisuals and TES lore, ESO has nothing for me. And I NEED more. Otherwise, I could just read a book or watch some Machinima.
    sumdumguy1
    Gorwe said:
    Also, what I was referring to as "boring" was how utterly pointless the game is to me and most of that is caused by One Tamriel. To go around without any progress at all(well...mostly) while being in an MMO that is by its definition a "grind" aka "pointless waste of time"...it's like someone modelled ESO after a wrong TES game(Oblivion). And Oblivion's level scale TRULY SUCKED, no doubt about that!

Also, there's too much running to and fro. This is the exact argument I had vs Age of Conan too. I know that it's "milk the sub dry", but...the sub's optional now, can't we change this?

Guess it's not really for me. Fine. Shame about all those locales though. They seem to have captured the spirit of provinces just fine. But as I already mentioned, besides audiovisuals and TES lore, ESO has nothing for me. And I NEED more. Otherwise, I could just read a book or watch some Machinima.
    Could ESO speed up "progression"? Absolutely. Maybe make it so you might get 50CP in a day perhaps - enough to make you feel you had "achieved progression". Waves magic wand fixed. You would be happy.

Rapid progress though is a developer's arm race. One doomed to failure. Its the: I've only played the game for a week and I'm at max. Absolutely no point doing anything. There is zero progress and no challenges. No one plays the old zones people just race through them as quickly as possible. 

Zen wanted to avoid the "nothing to do" issue. So - when the game launched long before OT was introduced they "forced" - forced - people to do all the content, in all of the alliances, in a pretty strict order, to gain veteran levels. That was grind thrust four square in your face. Getting a vet level though was "progress".

With OT they have smoothed the grind, removed the need to do it in a strict sequence, pushed it under the surface. Its is still there however. The flip side though is that there are no longer any "big progress" jumps in power that came with a "new level". A single veteran level has been spread across many CP points.

ESO PvE - more than other games on the market today imo - is about "the journey". The lore, the history, the places, the quests. It is an Elder Scrolls game first and foremost. 

(Worth adding that you can progress through PvP alone but, as in most mixed PvE/PvP games that has its own discussion points.)

Gorwe
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,283
    Gorwe said:

Your comments regarding this game being boring were echoed in a discussion I had a few months ago online with some guildmates.  It was a pretty hot topic as one of the guild mates was looking for a new game to play.  ESO was mentioned as were many others, I was surprised how many people said pretty much the same thing you said.  He did try ESO and also felt it was boring, but thought the visuals looked good.  He mentioned playing ESO made him realize how good Skyrim was.  In the end he wound up liking and playing Secret World Legends.
    GorweHuntrezz
    gervaise1 said:
    Gorwe said:

Could ESO speed up "progression"? Absolutely. Maybe make it so you might get 50CP in a day perhaps - enough to make you feel you had "achieved progression". Waves magic wand fixed. You would be happy.

Rapid progress though is a developer's arm race. One doomed to failure. Its the: I've only played the game for a week and I'm at max. Absolutely no point doing anything. There is zero progress and no challenges. No one plays the old zones people just race through them as quickly as possible. 

Zen wanted to avoid the "nothing to do" issue. So - when the game launched long before OT was introduced they "forced" - forced - people to do all the content, in all of the alliances, in a pretty strict order, to gain veteran levels. That was grind thrust four square in your face. Getting a vet level though was "progress".

With OT they have smoothed the grind, removed the need to do it in a strict sequence, pushed it under the surface. Its is still there however. The flip side though is that there are no longer any "big progress" jumps in power that came with a "new level". A single veteran level has been spread across many CP points.

ESO PvE - more than other games on the market today imo - is about "the journey". The lore, the history, the places, the quests. It is an Elder Scrolls game first and foremost. 

(Worth adding that you can progress through PvP alone but, as in most mixed PvE/PvP games that has its own discussion points.)

Yes, I know it's about the Journey, but when the game's about the Journey, there are TWO CRITICAL things you need to absolutely nail down(+1 thing optionally):

1. Combat: You'll obviously be doing a LOT of it
    2. Progression: If the progression's off, the Journey will feel either pointless or forced. Either sucks.
    3. Other activities: You also need to take care of crafting etc while exploring. Otherwise, if the point #1 sucks...GG man, GG!

1T sadly ruined #2 ; but it was ruined before it too. Being forced to do things is...is contrary to what a game should be. #1 never was good to begin with(at least in solo parts and the best TES parts = solo parts, so...). So...I guess you can PvP, Craft and RP and stuff. It's not a very good Journey unless you're VERY EASY to please.
    Gorwe said:

Your comments regarding this game being boring were echoed in a discussion I had a few months ago online with some guildmates.  It was a pretty hot topic as one of the guild mates was looking for a new game to play.  ESO was mentioned as were many others, I was surprised how many people said pretty much the same thing you said.  He did try ESO and also felt it was boring, but thought the visuals looked good.  He mentioned playing ESO made him realize how good Skyrim was.  In the end he wound up liking and playing Secret World Legends.

Interesting. While audiovisuals and such are very important(Dark Souls III made me realize that and a half), if the core gameplay's rotten...yeah, hasta la vista, baby! And while it isn't exactly rotten in ESO, it sure isn't interesting too. Firor just failed and failed epically lol!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,807
    Gorwe said:

ESO's progression is in character development. Skills, gear sets, champion points, endless combinations.
    IselinGorwe
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,820
    I must say I agree completely.

I tried hard to like the game. I have one heavy armored mage ( super easy gameplay ) one archer/assassin ( tedious ) and one heavy armored healer ... all of them mid lvls 35+

The game is so generic, areas bland, quests mind numbing boring - and the combat , although you have many options , it just lack any feel to it ...

The game has very high production values, no question about it. Perhaps among highest in MMOs made in west.

I just can not understand how and why it is so boring - I just can not make myself play it anymore

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,445

I tried hard to like the game. I have one heavy armored mage ( super easy gameplay ) one archer/assassin ( tedious ) and one heavy armored healer ... all of them mid lvls 35+

The game is so generic, areas bland, quests mind numbing boring - and the combat , although you have many options , it just lack any feel to it ...

The game has very high production values, no question about it. Perhaps among highest in MMOs made in west.

I just can not understand how and why it is so boring - I just can not make myself play it anymore

Play it for all the little people.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:

Play it for all the little people.

?
    gervaise1
    bcbully said:
    ESO's progression is in character development. Skills, gear sets, champion points, endless combinations.
    On that note...

I've been having a blast the past couple of days playing around with a couple of new sets from the Clockwork city - both proc sets. The magicka one procs a spinning fabricant that launches itself forward knocking everything it hits into the air, stunning them for a couple of seconds and doing damage. The stamina one procs a mini murder of 5 crows that attack the nearest enemy once every 3 seconds for 12 seconds.

Definitely not BIS but they're fun in dungeons.

Making different builds for different purposes, checking out new gear and skills I haven't used much before (proximity detonation for example, is lots of fun in a crowd since it does more damage the more enemies that are around you. Handy anti-zerg skill) keeps me entertained even at max level.

The game may not be even remotely a sandbox but the character building part is sandboxy as all hell. That's the fun part.
    bcbullyJamesGoblin
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:
    On that note...

I've been having a blast the past couple of days playing around with a couple of new sets from the Clockwork city - both proc sets. The magicka one procs a spinning fabricant that launches itself forward knocking everything it hits into the air, stunning them for a couple of seconds and doing damage. The stamina one procs a mini murder of 5 crows that attack the nearest enemy once every 3 seconds for 12 seconds.

Making different builds for different purposes, checking out new gear and skills I haven't used much before (proximity detonation for example, is lots of fun in a crowd since it does more damage the more enemies that are around you. Handy anti-zerg skill) keeps me entertained even at max level.

The game may not be even remotely a sandbox but the character building part is sandboxy as all hell. That's the fun part.

Doesn't sound fun at all. /weird
    JamesGoblin
    Gorwe said:
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:
    On that note...

Doesn't sound fun at all. /weird
    Yeah? Which part? The build your own and change it in as many ways as you want as often as you want? The weird thing is not liking that.

There's nothing more boring than "this is your class and these are your only skills... we'll give you improved versions every other level... hooray!" which is the way most MMOs do it.

If you don't get why there's fun in that stop wasting your time in ESO, It's just not for you - just for us very easy to please folk. :)

gervaise1Jean-Luc_PicardbcbullyJamesGoblinklash2def
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,059
    edited October 2017
    ESO is one of the best MMORPG experience available today.
    The quests are immersive, well written and elaborate, even the simplest ones.
    And the world isn't linear, the player can decide where he want to go at any time, he's not locked into some single path dictated by both story and level.
    And character development is only beaten by full skill based MMOs like UO. The freedom you have to create and develop whatever character you want in ESO is not beaten by any other class based MMO on the market.

Also, it seems to me that ESO suffers the same problem than GW2 for its combat. They tried to do things differently, and the players who are used to the EQ/WoW clone system are totally confused by ESO's combat.

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear, the purpose of this post is two fold:
    1) counter the utter negativity of the OP.
    2) Make the point that if ESO (at a whole) is "boring", then I don't know how to call the utterly linear EQ/WoW clones with rigid class systems plaguing the genre. Snorefest, maybe ?
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    gervaise1IselinJeleenaborghive49JamesGoblin
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Only game that ever caused me to nod off in my chair.
    JunglecharlyJamesGoblindave6660
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,948
    edited October 2017
    I gave up on this one a long time ago.

Kano said it best,

Kill, Fetch, Talk rinse and repeat :/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,306
    DMKano said:
    Gorwe said:
    DMKano said:
    To me ESO PvE questing is beyond boring.

This is why I only PvP in ESO. Stopped doing all PvE content as 3 weeks post launch.

What makes it boring to you?

Same thing that makes it boring in all MMOs - kill X, bring my Y, talk to Z ..... repeat x infinity.

Also I dont read nor care for any lore in MMOs, because it doesnt work for me when NPCs treat each player as they are the only ones that exist - completely oblivious that there are are 100s of thousands players online.

hmmm that's a player problem. Man, some players really can't make the leap that certain quests are for them and them alone.

Now, having said that, Elder Scrolls Online does have a problem with some quests that they make "group quests" only for me to show up just as a group kills the boss and yet I get credit for it.

edited October 2017
    Mikeha said:
    I gave up on this one a long time ago.

Kano said it best,

Kill, Fetch, Talk rinse and repeat :/

DMKano was actually talking about all mmos. And as I said above at the end of the day all games, whether PvE or PvP or even single player cese to be interesting. Other stuff as well not just games.

To be fair to ESO it does a better job than a lot of other games on the market currently, with some of the quests being very well done indeed.

And to be fair to you don't keep going on about it.

I have a feel, I think, for what Gorwe is getting at but - at the end of the day - if a game doesn't "click" or when a game becomes "stale" it is time to move on. 
  • Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Different people like different things.

ESO is certainly a great MMORPG.  Not everyone is going to like it though.

Im not a huge fan of the combat either (to be honest I never liked the combat much in Skyrim either...its not my style), but I can still have fun exploring Tamriel and building my character.  I also think there is progression because I'm always making my character stronger.  Sure, the enemies get stronger too but not at the same rate I do.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 990
    ESO is one of the best MMORPG experience available today.
    The quests are immersive, well written and elaborate, even the simplest ones.
    And the world isn't linear, the player can decide where he want to go at any time, he's not locked into some single path dictated by both story and level.
    And character development is only beaten by full skill based MMOs like UO. The freedom you have to create and develop whatever character you want in ESO is not beaten by any other class based MMO on the market.

Also, it seems to me that ESO suffers the same problem than GW2 for its combat. They tried to do things differently, and the players who are used to the EQ/WoW clone system are totally confused by ESO's combat.

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear, the purpose of this post is two fold:
    1) counter the utter negativity of the OP.
    2) Make the point that if ESO (at a whole) is "boring", then I don't know how to call the utterly linear EQ/WoW clones with rigid class systems plaguing the genre. Snorefest, maybe ?

Yea, when you post primarily to defend, you tend to miss the point. ESO is a boring game.  Half the reviews have stated this.  The game is generic and it feels like a single player game with multi-player mechanics bolted onto it.  That's the big issue with ESO.  It doesn't really feel MMORPG when you play it.

I also personally don't like how the classes are designed (never mind the utter lack of balance). The weapon swapping gets quite tedious, as well.

I have it on both PC/Mac and PS4.  I leveled to 50...  The story was quite interesting while leveling up and I finished the main "campaign" for that reason.  After it was over and I was done with everything on my "home continent," I quit.  I think I did the first DLC's content, and didn't touch the other stuff (Pre-Morrowind) because I got bored.

I don't think the combat is the issue.  GW2's combat is fine.  It's fast past and very reactive.  I also think the weapon swapping works better there, because you often have more to do in each weapon set than ESO (you aren't just taking up 2 slots for skills that are practically passives, in some cases).  The issue with GW2 that I had, in terms of combat, was its overreliance on dodge as a survival mechanic.  MOBs routinely hit for 50%+ of your health, and stacked AoEs that could one shot you all the time.  That made combat a bit too "twitch" for my liking.

Aside from that, the combat was fine.

The issue with ESO, that I had, was not combat-related.  It was content/atmospheric.  The game just wasn't that fun.  Not fun to look at, and not fun to play.

Also, I found players in ESO to be less ... ... "present" than in other MMORPGs.  If that makes any sense.

I think they should have focused more on group content than solo content.

I think they needed to differentiate the classes a bit more, and have a bit more defined roles between them.

The combat does feel a bit slow/heavy, but it's not necessarily a huge negative (FFXIV's combat feels slow compared to WoW, for example, and PoE's feels stilted compared to Diablo III - different games are different, so I expect and accept deviations in core systems).

There is nothing unfun about WoW, to the average MMORPG gamer.  That's probably why it's still one of the few games able to sustain itself on a subscription model.  There is a lot of things you can criticize WoW for - being a "snorefest" is definitely not one of them, unless you spend your time in town looking at the screen while you post B.S. about it at the mmorpg.com forums.