Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BORING

GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,315
Does this game actually get interesting? Sure, the audiovisuals are breathtaking and the world building's amazing. Even the little stories are fun and interesting. BUT! The combat S.U.C.K.S. Really, it's one of the worst combat systems I ever saw. No impact, very spammy(this comes from someone who likes the likes of Arsenal Mercenary in SWTOR!), next to no sense of progression(yeah, thanks One Tamriel! I thought that we graduated this issue with Oblivion...guess not), too open zones...

This is almost painful to play. Sure, visiting Hammerfell or Elsweyr or the like is always awesome, but...THAT COMBAT!

Fuck this combat!
kallensmazutViper482MikehaNephethTokkenWoeToTheVanquishedborghive49GetzMangoGilcroixand 12 others.

Comments

• kallenskallens Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I have the same issues, the combat seems thrown together, very few skills proc or work together to feel fun and cohesive. I'm playing a Warden and it's totally clunky and really just not fun to play. One Tam is a double edge sword, I do like that I can take my characters where I want, but as you say, the progression is just not there. I do like the quests and completing the maps, there is a ton content there, unfortunately the combat is what makes me move on to another game. Here is to hoping they redo the system.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,671
    To me ESO PvE questing is beyond boring.

This is why I only PvP in ESO. Stopped doing all PvE content as 3 weeks post launch.
    Golelorn
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Every time I try to play this game, and its been several times, I end up playing through Skyrim again, lamenting what could have been.
    SovrathViper482some-clueless-guyTokkenDeVoDeVojosko9Hariken
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    DMKano said:

This is why I only PvP in ESO. Stopped doing all PvE content as 3 weeks post launch.
    I can't think of a single MMO where PvE, let alone PvE questing, isn't mind-numbingly boring.
    Joseph_KerrbcbullyYashaX

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited October 2017
    Yeh, if you think ESO questing is boring then you need to change genre cos ESO's questing is bad but it's still one of the best in MMOs due to the presentation and context. Secret World, SWTOR and possibly WoW and Neverwinter are the other good ones. Modern WoW I mean.. since it throws in lots of mini games and stuff. SWTOR for the same reasons as ESO; presentation, voice work, etc. WIldstar is kind of fast paced with mini games too.
    Viper482GorweMtibbs1989YashaXGolelornt0nyd
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,788
    I've seriously tried to get into this game, love TES and MMOs. This does neither that well imo. I can't even put my finger on it. 
    Hariken
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,788
    edited October 2017
    Yeh, if you think ESO questing is boring then you need to change genre cos ESO's questing is bad but it's still one of the best in MMOs due to the presentation and context. Secret World, SWTOR and possibly WoW and Neverwinter are the other good ones. Modern WoW I mean.. since it throws in lots of mini games and stuff. SWTOR for the same reasons as ESO; presentation, voice work, etc. WIldstar is kind of fast paced with mini games too.

Maybe you should read his actual complaint again. 

EDIT: I see who you replied to now. Perhaps you should quote who you are responding to.

versulas
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited October 2017
    Viper482 said:

Maybe you should read his actual complaint again....
    I was replying more to DMKano.. and then rambling.
    DeVoDeVo
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    I've gained severed phobia (maybe hate is a better word) of solo levelling through PvE questing as the main way to level up characters in MMO's, it's painfully boring, can't stand more than 15mins of it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,622
    questing should not even be giving out xp towards your characters class.I am not going to explain why because obviously with so many people playing this type of game design,they do NOT get it when comes to role playing,MMO or plausible reasoning and common sense when comes to WHY and the meaning of XP in a rpg.

So rather than explain it,i'll use an analogy that is EXACTLY the way these games are designed.Ok so i am a hockey player,i want to get better at hockey,so some dude says "hey i can give you hockey XP,if you do something for me".I am thinking ok great, i want to be a better hockey player,so i ask what do you want,need?He says here is 30 bucks,go find me a Black Sabbath album and i'll reward you with hockey xp and you'll be the greatest hockey player ever.

Yeah exactly,it makes NO SENSE what so ever but this is what devs are spewing out for game design and what so many are playing and calling a GREAT GAME.People can say do whatever the heck they want,idc but they are playing CRAPPY game designs from developers who don't have a clue.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,454
    edited October 2017
    If you're not having fun, why even consider the game? Unless you are enjoying it on some lower level. Now, answer me outright, what do you like about the game? Now, what do you dislike?

Oh wait that's what the OP's posted here

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/469033/when-does-it-become-fun#latest.

on the same day! 

So if anyone wants to see answers ...... having 2 exact same threads is BORING
    GorweOctagon7711Jean-Luc_Picardesc-joconnor
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,126
    I dont like the dungeons in eso nor the class balance. I like healing and for a healer its go templar or beat it. I dont like the combat.

Questing I dont like in general, only the swtor chapters.  

Got the CE day one, trying it from time to time but I just cant get into it.

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Title is spot on, at least when I tried it at launch.

Despite the massive disappointment that the class system is/was, at least in my eyes (to me it feels like TES free-for-all skill system did not have enough projected sales during development, yet they couldn't just go for a traditional MMO class system, so here comes the middle-ground, to make fans AND the marketing department happy!) I still decided to try it, since it seemed to have potential. Sadly, boredom is all I experienced.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,315
    ESO questing is not boring lol. Its combat and complete lack of progression are. Just horrible. I mean I WANT TO explore Hammerfell etc ; do the fun questline with captain...what's her name and Jakarn and co, BUT! The game outside story and aesthetics is a MESS. Like some kind of DAoC and TES weird hybrid.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,454
    Gorwe said:

<snip>complete lack of progression are. <snip>.
    Two threads! 

I believe I understand fully what you mean by "no progression". It is - however - very, very, very gradual. And "leveling" slows down - as is often does in all games.

So you may end up getting 1 CP in a day. A whole CP point gosh. If you were CP100 getting to CP101 ... no big deal. No progression.

There is a chasm between e.g. CP100 and CP600 though.

As a result it can get "boring". Which is why I suggest to people they make another character maybe. Since after level 50 progress on one = progress on all. You do become godlike - just very slowly.
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,871
    During development they systematically nerfed xp in as many ways as they could except for questing.  They wanted to slow people down as much as possible.  Slow leveling and lots of time sinks is what really destroys a game. 
    Gorwe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

During development they systematically nerfed xp in as many ways as they could except for questing.  They wanted to slow people down as much as possible.  Slow leveling and lots of time sinks is what really destroys a game. 
    And when the combat itself falls apart next to slow / barely visible progression...it's one big fail. Btw, I'm referring to One Tamriel when I say "next to no progression". If a rat takes equal time to kill on lvl 50 as it did on lvl 5...o hai there Oblivion!
    Octagon7711YashaX
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,700
    Different strokes for different folks. The only thing that really keeps me from playing is no auction house. I found the combat not bad. There's definitely far worse combat systems in the current market.
    Palebane
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,871
    Combat was a lot worse at launch and has slowly improved over the years.
    BisloboPalebane

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

DMKano said:

What makes it boring to you?
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,421
    I'm not a huge fan of the compressed story.  Every single area on the map has a quest line.  It makes the entire game too congested, too much like a game.  I can deal with the combat issues, but the need to do almost everything is a bit boring and I can't tell if there's any real advancement after 20th.  It's just not what I was looking for and I spent more than I care to spend / should have spent for the base game.  It may not be awful, but it wasn't good value for money.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,145
    Gorwe said:
    DMKano said:

What makes it boring to you?
    Kano is a recalcitrant grinder. He doesn't like questing anywhere.
    DMKanoJamesGoblin
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,145
    Gorwe said:
    Does this game actually get interesting? Sure, the audiovisuals are breathtaking and the world building's amazing. Even the little stories are fun and interesting. BUT! The combat S.U.C.K.S. Really, it's one of the worst combat systems I ever saw. No impact, very spammy(this comes from someone who likes the likes of Arsenal Mercenary in SWTOR!), next to no sense of progression(yeah, thanks One Tamriel! I thought that we graduated this issue with Oblivion...guess not), too open zones...

This is almost painful to play. Sure, visiting Hammerfell or Elsweyr or the like is always awesome, but...THAT COMBAT!

Fuck this combat!
    Without knowing what your play style is, I have no idea why you find it boring.

I do know that I see new players all the time when running dungeon PUGs using their left mouse button almost exclusively to do nothing but light attack, heavy attack... rinse and repeat, usually with a bow.

Like any MMO I've ever played, ESO combat is all about figuring out which skills to use when and working out efficient rotations: A healer for example, will precast individual HOTs, drop down area HOTs where the fight is happening, keep his "Oh shit!" heal ready to pop if needed, debuff bosses, provide resource regen orbs and spears for those who need them to synergize with... and when he's not doing that, he's on his DPS bar contributing some DPS. In between he's also doing some light attacks to get the ultimate regenerating and heavy attacks from the resto staff to proc 3 second windows of Major Mending for +25% healing... then you pop your ultimate when it's ready.

The bowtard? pew, pew, pew, pew... light attacks ad infinitum.

Yes, one of those is boring as hell (and almost useless) the other one is not. You figure out which is which :) 
    JamesGoblin
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,671
    DMKano said:

I can't think of a single MMO where PvE, let alone PvE questing, isn't mind-numbingly boring.

For me PvE questing is awful in 99% of the MMOs, due to mindless kill/collect repeat ad nauseum mechanics.

Now PvE without questing is mind-numbing but I dont mind it, as its a great way to unwind with mindless activities.
    Albatroes
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,246
    I rather play ESO combat than the classic MMO generic standing still click skills and god forbid if you move.
    bcbullyjosko9Palebane