Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lead producer LYING

GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 4,533
edited October 2017 in Star Wars: The Old Republic
I take it you know that the servers are merging. And that the US is going to have TWO servers. Everyone with an ounce of common sense deduced thusly: 1 for West and 1 for East. NOPE! 2 for East, FUCK YOU to West / APAC. Read for yourself and wonder...what is this buffoon even doing? A complete corporate pawn:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9449612#post9449612

EA sure is hell bent on making us H.A.T.E. them lol.

edit: I know he is in a hard position. But this is more symptomatic of an EA as a whole. They could've approved a new West Coast server. But they're so fixated on making us hate them...

...this makes me wonder...what's ActiBlizz's next "hate us" move? This is morbidly interesting.
Post edited by Gorwe on
Gdemami

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,351
    Eh. I don't care enough anymore. I briefly considered re-subbing to ensure I kept my names, but meh. Fuck 'em. I'm doubtful I'll ever return to the game.
    GorwePpiperBlaze_RockerMrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• GorweGorwe Member RarePosts: 4,533
    Eh. I don't care enough anymore. I briefly considered re-subbing to ensure I kept my names, but meh. Fuck 'em. I'm doubtful I'll ever return to the game.

I'm only concerned because of my characters. I should double down on recording 1-50s and gtfo I guess.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,557
    Meh I gave up on the game long time ago because of the RNG Boxes.
    Ppiper
  • skadadskadad Member UncommonPosts: 232
    who cares where the servers are located, as long as you get good connection/ping etc? ( self entitled bastards obviously ). Especially if there are only two where all players will be anyways?
  • k61977k61977 Member RarePosts: 843
    Wow rage much.  I live on the east coast and about 75% of all games I play only have servers on the West Coast, so guess by your logic all of those companies are saying F-U to the east coast.  Most likely you will not even notice a damn difference between west and east unless you live in the hills somewhere with dial up. 
    KyleranThomas2006
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 17,474
    This is why you host in Dallas TX like vast majority of MMO companies do. It has great backbone connectivity and both east and west coast have sub 100ms ping.
    KyleranGhostRider00ConstantineMerus
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,255
    Whoever thought a lead dev on a Star wars MMO would be lying to their customers?

This is nothing, ask any SWG vet. "Jedi is already in the game" or my favorite "We already solved that".

If people have bad connection you are right to be upset but we really need a few numbers from people across US to actually be able to judge that.
    Deewe
  • azarhalazarhal Member UncommonPosts: 1,185
    edited October 2017
    Loke666 said:
    If people have bad connection you are right to be upset but we really need a few numbers from people across US to actually be able to judge that.
    From all the complaining I've read, it seems to have added a +100ms to West Coast and APAC players. That means WC players are now around 150ms and APAC around 250-300ms for not shitty internet connections.

Lets not forget that SWTOR isn't the most demanding game in term of "clicking fast". Saying that, SWTOR has other issues that might make it looks like your ping is bad when it is not (like character movement updating rarely unless you jump, it's been there since launch).
    Post edited by azarhal on
    KyleranScotchUp
    DMKano said:
    This is why you host in Dallas TX like vast majority of MMO companies do. It has great backbone connectivity and both east and west coast have sub 100ms ping.

I was thinking about this actually. It was just that my guess was Chicago, not Dallas. Dallas is too far from the likes of Minneapolis, Seattle and such. Hm, nice to know.
    skadad said:
    who cares where the servers are located, as long as you get good connection/ping etc? ( self entitled bastards obviously ). Especially if there are only two where all players will be anyways?

Because where they are located DETERMINES the ping? It could be written like this: f(Area)=ping. You know. Playing across the country isn't the same as playing across the state.

This also does not concern me(not a yank), but what concerns me is the distinct possibility of this also happening to us EU players, the lack of honesty(I'm not naive, but Keith has been...rather shady ever since he took over) and doing things nobody asked for(this part can also be seen in their so called "balance" ; instead of doing what the common sense dictates and just fixing the damn thing, they circle strafe all around it and find shit to break so they don't have to bother with major problems which in turn begin to fester and become MUCH BIGGER problems).

All in all I think that past this point, we can simply quote C-3PO and say:

"We're doomed!"
    Blaze_Rocker
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Loke666 said:
    Whoever thought a lead dev on a Star wars MMO would be lying to their customers?

This is nothing, ask any SWG vet. "Jedi is already in the game" or my favorite "We already solved that".

Not sure Keith had the luxury to choose to announce to the players they would be MIA with the merge.

Now I do remember the Jedi in game thing or when they secretly increased the numbers of professions needed to unlock the Jedi slot.

I guess the worst was just before the NGE, selling the new Xpack 2 weeks ahead of the major shift of the game and banning people who were reporting the change...

That will certainly stay in the MMO history records!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 27,444
    Does 150 ms ping really impact most players in a game like this? Its not exactly a high performance shooter. 

"Harbinger of Failure"

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Does 150 ms ping really impact most players in a game like this? Its not exactly a high performance shooter. 

Look like up to 250 it's ok, though for PvP it's starting to impact your moves, especially stabbing people as based on opponent position.

North of 300, (APAC players) well that's another story.

For the people in the 200-300 range what look like of the issue is the lag spikes they are getting.

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited November 2017
    What lie did the lead producer tell exactly?

Read the OP, does not say there, just a rant, read the post in the link, but again, nothing in the OP show's which part of what is said in the linked post is a lie?

Fake News, MMO style.
    Post edited by ByrgenarHofen on

Read the OP, does not say there, just a rant, read the post in the link, but again, nothing in the OP show's which part of what is said in the linked post is a lie?

Fake News, MMO style.
    It was a lie by omission. They intentionally did not mention there would not be anymore a West coast server after the server merge.

Then to keep your characters names you had to have an active subscription.

Finally the APAC players are hindered by the game latency.

All in all APAC players and some West coast with sub optimal connectivity paid for finally not being able to play smoothly anymore.
    HuntrezzGdemamiByrgenarHofen
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 4,617
    I certainly picked up that the servers would be co-located; I commented on it in the other thread.

What I hadn't picked up on was the new hardware - so the capacity may not be much different. Did they ever move on from c.20k per server.
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited November 2017
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.
    It was a lie by omission. They intentionally did not mention there would not be anymore a West coast server after the server merge.

All in all APAC players and some West coast with sub optimal connectivity paid for finally not being able to play smoothly anymore.
    So no actual lie then, just a sensationalist thread name, got it.
    Post edited by ByrgenarHofen on
    Kyleran
  • skadadskadad Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Gorwe said:
    DMKano said:

I was thinking about this actually. It was just that my guess was Chicago, not Dallas. Dallas is too far from the likes of Minneapolis, Seattle and such. Hm, nice to know.
    skadad said:

Because where they are located DETERMINES the ping? It could be written like this: f(Area)=ping. You know. Playing across the country isn't the same as playing across the state.

well latency does indeed depend on distance travelled and what it travels within. But also boosters/regenerators along the way so no, location only does not determine latency.
    Gorwe
  • XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

They have been on this crusade against swtor for over SIX YEARS not sure anyone expected anything else. 
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

They have been on this crusade against swtor for over SIX YEARS not sure anyone expected anything else. 

It's not a crusade, it's a fact. He lied by omission and, no, anyone that thinks that playing in 200ms environment and in 50ms environ is the same...yeah, right.

In fact, I don't crusade against anything. I just have my principles which, should you get on the bad side of them-good luck!, I am not willing to stretch out for such tiny causes. And I'm not even a stickler for rules! Imagine others!
    ByrgenarHofenJeleenaGdemami
  • XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Gorwe said:
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

It's not a crusade, it's a fact. He lied by omission and, no, anyone that thinks that playing in 200ms environment and in 50ms environ is the same...yeah, right.

In fact, I don't crusade against anything. I just have my principles which, should you get on the bad side of them-good luck!, I am not willing to stretch out for such tiny causes. And I'm not even a stickler for rules! Imagine others!
    Guess that fair.  But he didn't lie because you thought something different or came to a conclusion that was never mentioned.  
    Gorwe said:
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

Guess that fair.  But he didn't lie because you thought something different or came to a conclusion that was never mentioned.  

Fraud then? Misdirection?

These things are punishable in direct / tele sales.
    ByrgenarHofenGdemami
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member RarePosts: 3,651
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

It wouldn't be either of those because they didn't HAVE to mention that. Just information that wasn't provided. You don't have to keep your sub if you aren't happy. I haven't subbed to that game in 5 years due to being unhappy with it. 
    ByrgenarHofenGorwe
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

It wouldn't be either of those because they didn't HAVE to mention that. Just information that wasn't provided. You don't have to keep your sub if you aren't happy. I haven't subbed to that game in 5 years due to being unhappy with it. 

Hm, you are right. Still is sleazy as all hell.

I had to sub to keep my names / characters. But now...yeah. I don't see the reason to do it apart from a month here, month there.
    Gdemami
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member RarePosts: 3,651
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

I had to sub to keep my names / characters. But now...yeah. I don't see the reason to do it apart from a month here, month there.
    Have you tried to play on the west coast servers just to see how bad your ping was? I had friends who played WoW with me in from the UK and I was on a west coast server and they played with about 300 ping with minimal issues. I know you shouldn't have to play that way, but I mean if you enjoy the game then maybe it doesn't effect gameplay as much as we might think. 
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Deewe said:

Fake News, MMO style.

Have you tried to play on the west coast servers just to see how bad your ping was? I had friends who played WoW with me in from the UK and I was on a west coast server and they played with about 300 ping with minimal issues. I know you shouldn't have to play that way, but I mean if you enjoy the game then maybe it doesn't effect gameplay as much as we might think. 

I'm EU and I'm kinda bothered with 60 vs previous 35-40. I just empathise with our West Coast and, especially, APAC(Australasia) players.

Still, I wouldn't play with 250+ ms. It's just...uncomfortable.
    Gdemami