Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ship - Introductory Price of $850

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Viper482 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    To say none of the cash bought ships provide an advantage is absurd. ...
    currently in the game any player can fly any ship in the game for free. that is how it was last time I saw it there are a trillion diffferent ways you can make this work

So you are saying people are paying thousands of dollars for ships that everyone can get for free? This makes zero sense. 
    of course it makes zero sense!
    but its what CR said they are going to do and I am just illustrating that it is possible. Making sense or not is going on the assumption that CR is a good developer who understands balance, is that what you are saying?
    Viper482

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited October 2017
    Viper482 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Viper482 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    so clearly its likely there will not be an advantage to buying ships 
    Keep telling yourself that.  Please be sure to come back when it launches and let us know how that worked out for you.

we came up with 3 possible ways it could easily happen in just under an hour.
    so maybe its not out of line to suggest to people to not assume its a given that what they stated is untrue so casually.

Dude, just because .....
    dude...just because one feels like the statement of 'the ships will not give you an advantage' doesnt mean that it will not without even knowing the full ruleset. we came up with three possible ways the ship could not give you an advantage within about 45 mins. My SUGGESTION here is for people to not assume...dude, just because you feel like it.
    Passive aggressive with people who disagree with you eh? ...

stopped reading right there....is that unfair of me?

there is nothing passive aggressive about what I said, exactly which part is passive aggressive and why?

also, do you think its a good idea to make this conversation about me? because it will likely backfire on you
    Viper482

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

its easy to make the ships in the hanger not important.
    yes... they could just cancel the game I suppose.

or have rentable ships like I they they are doing in the video just released. Then its just editing the cost difference for balance.

simple
    As we covered.  Your rentable ship idea does not pass the test of feasibility.  I'm not going to explain it to you again but feel free to re-read what was explained to you multiple times by multiple people.

1. your 'feasibility' assumes SC is a good developer well managed in balance, is that how you see CR?

2. it is extremely feasible, in some games its literally changing a number in an XML file. The question is not 'feasibility' the question is BALANCE. but that assumes SC would be good at balance, why would you assume that?
    This is like Groundhog Day...

Tell ya what Sean... you come back here when it launches and show us you were right.  Until then the rest of us are going to live in reality where there is an advantage to paying thousands of dollars to buy your ships.  When it launches and you are wrong how about you post an apology in every thread that you spammed this stuff?

Deal?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

or have rentable ships like I they they are doing in the video just released. Then its just editing the cost difference for balance.

simple
    As we covered.  Your rentable ship idea does not pass the test of feasibility.  I'm not going to explain it to you again but feel free to re-read what was explained to you multiple times by multiple people.

1. your 'feasibility' assumes SC is a good developer well managed in balance, is that how you see CR?

2. it is extremely feasible, in some games its literally changing a number in an XML file. The question is not 'feasibility' the question is BALANCE. but that assumes SC would be good at balance, why would you assume that?

Tell ya what Sean... you come back here when it launches and show us you were right.....
    and what would I be 'right' about exactly?

that its possible that it could go either way?

please read this again.

MY POSITION = it could go EITHER way
    YOUR POSITION = i could only go ONE way

so I am already 'right'

ScotchUp

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

simple

Tell ya what Sean... you come back here when it launches and show us you were right.....

please read this again.

so I am already 'right'

Nope

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited October 2017

please read this again.

so I am already 'right'

Nope
    just to recap:

so I am 'right' regardless of the outcome
    ScotchUpOdeezee

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

simple

please read this again.

so I am already 'right'

Nope
    As much as I agree with you, this is how your conversation with Sean is going to end:

It’s pointless.
    ScotchUp

Nope
    As much as I agree with you, this is how your conversation with Sean is going to end:

It’s pointless.
    why would that be?

SEANMCAD said:

Nope

It’s pointless.
    why would that be?
    Re-read any thread where you have more than five posts and behold!

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I'm getting a headache watching you two go at something we can never know until release. Who has the good pain pills? :#
    postlarval
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    ScotchUp said:
    I'm getting a headache watching you two go at something we can never know until release. Who has the good pain pills? :#
    You don’t need pills. Just stop reading the thread.
    Odeezee

ScotchUp said:
    are we on back on subject now?

SEANMCAD said:
    ScotchUp said:
    That all depends on you, scooter.
    MadFrenchieSlapshot1188

SEANMCAD said:
    ScotchUp said:
    That all depends on you, scooter.
    so to recap what I am suggesting to everyone is that there is a lot of unknowns a LOT and its VERY easy to make ships not have an advantage...very easy. I think they will actually not do it but given how easy it is I think its not a good idea to assume its a fact.

I also dont think suggesting that they are reasonable and good at balance is really a good idea because, again, nobody has any clue

Oh... most of us have a clue.
    postlarval

Please share with the others then what you know. seriously

SEANMCAD said:
    Oh.. the others have a clue as well.

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    SEANMCAD said:
    Oh.. the others have a clue as well.

LOL, that's called misdirection.....
    Odeezee
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • IzzinIzzin Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited November 2017
    Viper482 said:

Passive aggressive with people who disagree with you eh? Very mature. Answer a couple of questions for me since I am ignorant and need to be educated.

1. Is there pvp in this game? 
    2. If so, can one use ships purchased with real life money in pvp?
    3. Do some ships have better dogfighting capes than others?
    4. Can you buy a better ship right now than one you would have setting foot in the game on day one?
    5. If I buy a $100000 ship with real life money....will that ship be better than the newbs who just bought the game without buying ships with real life money.

If you can answer no to 2 thru 5 I will concede that you are right. If you can't....you are wrong. Good luck.

Viper: it is not quite that simple as what you are presenting here. 

1: Yes, there is PVP (there will be some form of match making, unknown as to details at this time come release.)

2: Yes - ships will not be restricted (based on our information, see match making)
    3: This is where things get difficult to respond to.
    - a ship is not like a weapon in other MMO's, you cant just tab target slap a key and win. The ship combat is very much player skill. So the "advantage" for one, could be a massive "disadvantage" to another person.

4: see response 3, better is in the hands of the player using it.  Just because it costs $ does not mean it is better. You will have whales that spend thousands, but wont be able to take off without crashing. 

5: depends, see answer 3 and 4 - stat wise, sure, if you look at raw stats, yes, they are better. But that does not give an exact advantage.

This is an extreme example, if you buy the current Pioneer for $850, that would not give you a combat advantage over a starter ship. There is a very high probability that the starter ship could destroy that expensive ship. This goes equally for someone who bought a cap, and takes it out for  a spin solo, there is an extremely high probability that it will be destroyed. But if fully manned, that is a different story.

I will argue that there will be an advantage, but as I stated in the past, it is unknown at this time how much, or how long that advantage will persist. Each situation will be different, and then you would have to consider if it is an advantage or not. 

The primary advantage that you can not argue against is that the player will not have to earn the funds in game to purchase the hull, and insure the base hull if they have LTI, or package insurance. This is purely a monetary advantage, I will say that I have seen the greatest underdogs exceed the whales in other games out of sure persistence.

So how long will this advantage persist? Once again situational, you don't know if the whales will play 8 hours a week, or 80 hours a week. 

So lets take a step back and attempt to define what it means to "Win" in Star Citizen.
    PVP superiority?
    Largest Bank account?
    Land Acquisition?

Region control? (this is an extrapolation based on colonization of a non patrolled system).

Taking each of those topics you could then make a case for/against real money advantage.

edit: fixing some typos

--Izz
    Post edited by Izzin on
    Viper482
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Izzin said:
    Viper482 said:

Passive aggressive with people who disagree with you eh? Very mature. Answer a couple of questions for me since I am ignorant and need to be educated.

1. Is there pvp in this game? 
    2. If so, can one use ships purchased with real life money in pvp?
    3. Do some ships have better dogfighting capes than others?
    4. Can you buy a better ship right now than one you would have setting foot in the game on day one?
    5. If I buy a $100000 ship with real life money....will that ship be better than the newbs who just bought the game without buying ships with real life money.

If you can answer no to 2 thru 5 I will concede that you are right. If you can't....you are wrong. Good luck.

Viper: it is not quite that simple as what you are presenting here. 

1: Yes, there is PVP (there will be some form of match making, unknown as to details at this time come release.)

2: Yes - ships will not be restricted (based on our information, see match making)
    3: This is where things get difficult to respond to.
    - a ship is not like a weapon in other MMO's, you cant just tab target slap a key and win. The ship combat is very much player skill. So the "advantage" for one, could be a massive "disadvantage" to another person.

4: see response 3, better is in the hands of the player using it.  Just because it costs $ does not mean it is better. You will have whales that spend thousands, but wont be able to take off without crashing. 

5: depends, see answer 3 and 4 - stat wise, sure, if you look at raw stats, yes, they are better. But that does not give an exact advantage.

This is an extreme example, if you buy the current Pioneer for $850, that would not give you a combat advantage over a starter ship. There is a very high probability that the starter ship could destroy that expensive ship. This goes equally for someone who bought a cap, and takes it out for  a spin solo, there is an extremely high probability that it will be destroyed. But if fully manned, that is a different story.

I will argue that there will be an advantage, but as I stated in the past, it is unknown at this time how much, or how long that advantage will persist. Each situation will be different, and then you would have to consider if it is an advantage or not. 

The primary advantage that you can not argue against is that the player will not have to earn the funds in game to purchase the hull, and insure the base hull if they have LTI, or package insurance. This is purely a monetary advantage, I will say that I have seen the greatest underdogs exceed the whales in other games out of sure persistence.

So how long will this advantage persist? Once again situational, you don't know if the whales will play 8 hours a week, or 80 hours a week. 

So lets take a step back and attempt to define what it means to "Win" in Star Citizen.
    PVP superiority?
    Largest Bank account?
    Land Acquisition?

Region control? (this is an extrapolation based on colonization of a non patrolled system).

Taking each of those topics you could then make a case for/against real money advantage.

edit: fixing some typos

--Izz
    All good examples except the problem I have is you are comparing someone with bad skill buying the ships with real world cash vs someone in a starter ship with awesome skills. To get a proper comparison you need to level the board in terms of skills. Assume everyone is at the same skill level otherwise yeah it's easy to say something won't be an advantage cause the other person sucks.

Assume equal player skill and then compare the ships and tell me it won't be an advantage paying real world cash.
    edited November 2017
    Kefo said:
    All good examples except the problem I have is you are comparing someone with bad skill buying the ships with real world cash vs someone in a starter ship with awesome skills. To get a proper comparison you need to level the board in terms of skills. Assume everyone is at the same skill level otherwise yeah it's easy to say something won't be an advantage cause the other person sucks.

Assume equal player skill and then compare the ships and tell me it won't be an advantage paying real world cash.
    Kefo, to be fair here, the point I was trying to express is every advantage is situational.

Yes, it can be read as me comparing weak to strong pilots. At the end of the day, reality has to be part of the equation.

Under most situations, both sides will not be equal, the unknown is skill is in favor of which side of that equation.

I normally hate to draw games toward reality. Look at Nascar - Every car has the same specification. You could argue every driver has the same skill, so why does one win over the other? External factors are at play here, pit, tuning, etc.. every factor adds up to an advantage or disadvantage.

I recently had a conference at Joe Gibs Racing facility, they custom made their air guns which gave them nearly a 2 second benefit during pit. That benefit was so great, that in 2018, every team will have to use air guns from the track, teams are no longer able to bring their own gear.

But I digress, many would put the "skills" of the team making the difference on an equal footing. So if skill is a factor in this example, why would it not also be a parallel into a game. Humans are the player, not everyone is equal. 

But lets hold that thought for a moment and look at things slightly more abstract.

Lets expand briefly on the comparisons then.

Now that we have the "starting ships" what do you want to compare it against?

Are you comparing the Aurora against a Sabre? What is the task at hand, cargo transport? Direct Combat?

How about a Hornet over a Constellation? Combat - tough comparison | Cargo Constellation Yes.. 

See ships all have some type of purpose, the starters above each have a preference. The "purchased" ships, the ones that people really complain about are very specific in function. So for that 1 function, yes, they have a limited advantage, again time that advantage holds true? Completely uncertain.

So in order to figure out if there really is an advantage, you have to break down what is the criteria for the advantage through a functional comparison. 

If you take the situation, and then take the consideration of skill it is impossible to predict what level of advantage actually exists.

It is my belief that SC will not be "balanced" so each ship has advantage/disadvantages or counters like a traditional PVP game. 

If you really wanted to define the advantage under perfect conditions, one would have to create a matrix of all attributes associated with each ship and then create basic situations and then compare the results.  Even then, there will be external factors which would be at play, but it would certainly be better comparison.

I have already stated, there "will be one" but it is impossible to qualify how large, and how long that advantage will hold true. 

--Izz
    Odeezee
    Kefo said:

Not only that... but there is no limit on the number of ships you can buy... so you can buy as many as you like (and obviously after $163M many do)

So compare base "starter" ships to the more advanced type you can buy.   For example it looks like the starter freighter ship has a cargo capacity of 6.    The HULL ship has a cargo capacity of 98,304.  That's 16,384 times the cargo...

Where I come from we call that a clear advantage.

Odeezee

Slapshot1188 said:
    So compare base "starter" ships to the more advanced type you can buy.   For example it looks like the starter freighter ship has a cargo capacity of 6.    The HULL ship has a cargo capacity of 98,304.  That's 16,384 times the cargo...

I will agree, this is one of the advantages. 

Now, let me add a few more parameters to this scenario.
    How much does it cost to fuel the Aurora?
    How much does it cost to fuel the HULL?

How many funds do you have left to buy cargo?

You need to take into consideration Fuel to Cost ratio, how much do you have to haul in either ship to break even.

There is an obvious numerical on paper advantage, but on day 1, is it truly an advantage? Or is it a disadvantage to have the Hull over Aurora?

After an initial ramp time, yes, the Hull will far exceed once you get the fund rolling, but how long would the Hull owner need to use his starter ship before he can effectively use the Hull.

One advantage the Hull owner has over the Aurora owner. The Hull owner does not have to earn credits in game to buy the Hull, the newbie Aurora owner has to earn credits to rent/lease/buy the Hull. 

Once again, there is an advantage, but does it have any negative impact on the starting player without it? 

--Izz
    Odeezee
    Izzin said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

I will agree, this is one of the advantages. 

Now, let me add a few more parameters to this scenario.
    How much does it cost to fuel the Aurora?
    How much does it cost to fuel the HULL?

How many funds do you have left to buy cargo?

You need to take into consideration Fuel to Cost ratio, how much do you have to haul in either ship to break even.

There is an obvious numerical on paper advantage, but on day 1, is it truly an advantage? Or is it a disadvantage to have the Hull over Aurora?

After an initial ramp time, yes, the Hull will far exceed once you get the fund rolling, but how long would the Hull owner need to use his starter ship before he can effectively use the Hull.

One advantage the Hull owner has over the Aurora owner. The Hull owner does not have to earn credits in game to buy the Hull, the newbie Aurora owner has to earn credits to rent/lease/buy the Hull. 

Once again, there is an advantage, but does it have any negative impact on the starting player without it? 

--Izz
    Again.. there is no limit that says you can only buy one.  You can buy EVERY ship if you like and just pick whatever is best suited for that day.

But yes... all that remains to be seen is the magnitude of the advantages.  Those are undetermined.

Odeezee

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2017
    Again.. there is no limit that says you can only buy one.  You can buy EVERY ship if you like and just pick whatever is best suited for that day.

But yes... all that remains to be seen is the magnitude of the advantages.  Those are undetermined.
    You need to consider the bigger picture, you can buy EVERY ship, but you still need to insure all of those ships, over that if you ever want to cover upgrades/cargo/crew/etc, you're in for a treat.

In any way, what I see SC in day-1 would be what you would see say if the game was already out for months or one year in terms of who has what, that first impact would mitigate itself over time. And leasing mechanics could be of great help to even it out.
    Odeezee