Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - M

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.
    Are you insane? I tried retail Wow. Legion is horrible, I can take my tank and round up every mob in a zone, kill them all and finish with full health. How is this fun? I never played Wow until WotLK and it was never my favorite game but I played because my friends played. I recently tried this Vanilla Wow and it blew me away. Leveling is a challenge. By level 10 I have died a ton. You get a gear upgrade at lvl 8 and it is exciting because you need it. This has nothing to do with it being free, it has to do with it being a vastly superior product. I only play games with Subs which leaves not too many games these days. I really wish someone would make a vanilla LOTRO game as that was my all time favorite game....
    Oh yay. Leveling takes longer, I die more often during it, and gear comes less often and with smaller incremental upgrades. Good thing the combat is slower, more boring, and way more unbalanced and the game changes entirely at end-game so it's all worth it. Blows the goddamn mind, that superior design.
    Sounds like you aren't very good at the vanilla game so you'd be better off sticking with retail, where they shower you with gear no matter how much you suck.  Gear rarity is one of the aspects of the original game that is attractive to people who like their rewards to feel like actual rewards, meaning they're earned.
    Linking to private servers on MMORPG.com is a permanent bannable offense (though can talk about them in news posts)...wonder why that is? Hmmm...maybe its because its the same as linking to pirated products? If you think its not pirating and stealing, why avoid linking to your free servers?
    That's not accurate.  There's a dedicated subforum to those discussions, and linking is allowed and occurs without bans.
    ah, yeah there is. Last I knew it was a bannable offense to link to such things or even discuss/talk about, but guess it changed. Thought it was like the subject of politics/religion, a bannable offense. Looks like that rule changed lol
    It was, until the Nost vs Blizzard debacle (if I remember correctly), at which point Bill and the gang added the subforum.
    Ah okay, so kinda recent then. Never noticed. Thanks for the heads up :) Guess since MMORPG.com lets that content be hosted, its not so much in a black area as a "grey" area.

Though someone above pointed out something...

In some countries, one single game on Steam is worth one year of wages just to get that single game...if the person never paid bills or anything. Like some places a 40 dollar game will be actually 120+ dollars in their currency AND their wages are piss poor compared to wages in the US.

So I can actually understand that, because companies are milking them dry instead of converting the game into their economy/currency and charging them an obscene amount.

In the US that isn't a problem, but in many poor countries it definitely is.
    Gdemami

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.
    Are you insane? I tried retail Wow. Legion is horrible, I can take my tank and round up every mob in a zone, kill them all and finish with full health. How is this fun? I never played Wow until WotLK and it was never my favorite game but I played because my friends played. I recently tried this Vanilla Wow and it blew me away. Leveling is a challenge. By level 10 I have died a ton. You get a gear upgrade at lvl 8 and it is exciting because you need it. This has nothing to do with it being free, it has to do with it being a vastly superior product. I only play games with Subs which leaves not too many games these days. I really wish someone would make a vanilla LOTRO game as that was my all time favorite game....
    Oh yay. Leveling takes longer, I die more often during it, and gear comes less often and with smaller incremental upgrades. Good thing the combat is slower, more boring, and way more unbalanced and the game changes entirely at end-game so it's all worth it. Blows the goddamn mind, that superior design.
    Combat is definatly faster and more fluid in Legion but what difference does it make when everything is so easy. It is impossible to die. Who cares if combat is faster when there is no challenge. Why get better gear when it doesn't matter. The difference is massive between Legion and Vanilla and I could see how modern players wouldn't like Vanilla (the walking speed difference is shocking at first) I just take offence to people saying that all these people playing Vanilla is because it is free. I woud love Blizzard to make a server and charge $15 a month for it. That would be amazing.
    You want to pay $15/month for an extremely limited game that you already know all the content for and will never be updated? 
    I never played Vanilla before so alot of it is new to me. Leveling in Vanilla is way different than is was for WotLK. They di update the servers, they startwith the original game and then add patches that were added later in Vanilla's life. I don't think all of the patches are live yet in Elysium. I like that I don't have to worry about an expansion because I can take my time.
    It had been so long since vanilla that I had forgotten almost all the quest content, save for dungeon runs.  Even those presented mechanics I had forgotten about.

You can really treat good games like books (especially RPGs).  If you haven't played them recently, things that were familiar can seem fresh again, including quest content and lore.
    JamesGoblin

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 3,880
    who wants to bet in a few months time we will be hearing of how this private server had to shut down temp because people were profiting off it like the last server and how they are creating a new team to uphold the ideals. Rinse repeat until people wise up.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Seems the game isnot shutting down now. I am confused. Ths is their tweet "Elysium will continue to run, and despite what many people believe, will not be shutting down."    They deleted tweet about the server being closed. I don't know what to believe now
    edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    who wants to bet in a few months time we will be hearing of how this private server had to shut down temp because people were profiting off it like the last server and how they are creating a new team to uphold the ideals. Rinse repeat until people wise up.
    That's because they inherently have to operate outside the confines of normal business transactions.

If the law said you cannot make a profit off of previous game versions (not just patches, but with/without, say, expacs) but can only take what money is needed to run the hosting and continued bug-fixing costs (all of which had to be reported on a particular time basis), and all proceeds above this must be given directly to the original creator, you could impose a lot more oversight to prevent this sort of thing.
    Gdemami

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited October 2017
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Combat is definatly faster and more fluid in Legion but what difference does it make when everything is so easy. It is impossible to die. Who cares if combat is faster when there is no challenge. Why get better gear when it doesn't matter. The difference is massive between Legion and Vanilla and I could see how modern players wouldn't like Vanilla (the walking speed difference is shocking at first) I just take offence to people saying that all these people playing Vanilla is because it is free. I woud love Blizzard to make a server and charge $15 a month for it. That would be amazing.
    You want to pay $15/month for an extremely limited game that you already know all the content for and will never be updated? 
    I never played Vanilla before so alot of it is new to me. Leveling in Vanilla is way different than is was for WotLK. They di update the servers, they startwith the original game and then add patches that were added later in Vanilla's life. I don't think all of the patches are live yet in Elysium. I like that I don't have to worry about an expansion because I can take my time.
    Well, maybe you'll get lucky and they've found some sort of compromise for Blizzcon, then. I've played all through vanilla, and I can't imagine ever wanting to revert back to that time. Plus the lore and shit is all out of date. 
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    But.... if people wanted to see what WoW Vanilla use to feel like http://store.steampowered.com/app/350660/Alganon/ that closer WoW Vanilla clone I ever seen.
    laserit
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,157
    But.... if people wanted to see what WoW Vanilla use to feel like http://store.steampowered.com/app/350660/Alganon/ that closer WoW Vanilla clone I ever seen.
    That title has enough controversy of its own ;)
    GhavriggSBFord

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,663
    I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money. Sad. I hope that team is held accountable.
    MadFrenchiezaberfangxConstantineMerusGhavriggSBFord
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Sounds like you aren't very good at the vanilla game so you'd be better off sticking with retail, where they shower you with gear no matter how much you suck.  Gear rarity is one of the aspects of the original game that is attractive to people who like their rewards to feel like actual rewards, meaning they're earned.
    Linking to private servers on MMORPG.com is a permanent bannable offense (though can talk about them in news posts)...wonder why that is? Hmmm...maybe its because its the same as linking to pirated products? If you think its not pirating and stealing, why avoid linking to your free servers?

Its against the rules because its theft and illegal, hence why most of them operate outside the "legal" area that companies can't do anything about.
    I wish I knew what the hell you were talking about.  My post had nothing to do with linking to private servers.
    Torval said:
    I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money. Sad. I hope that team is held accountable.
    That's why I mentioned working with these developers and providing close oversight would be a much better option than forcing them to work on the shady ends of legality.  Forcing them to keep detailed cost and revenue records and turning over all proceeds above operating costs to the original creator seems like a much better compromise for everyone involved than making an example out of a server once in a blue moon and allowing things like this to happen otherwise.
    GdemamiPhry

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,492
    edited October 2017
    Lol Why is that people try to rationalize this behavior under an umbrella. People would still be hosting private servers even if legacy existed (and probably have been hosting them since vanilla, not like I'm going to dig around for the history of private servers though). Part of the reason will be that the game changed and people want to play it like before, but guess what? The game changes all the time. A patch could drop and changes how one classes damage modifers work and then people go crazy that loved how it worked before. This is honestly too much of a can of worms for blizzard to control. Its not as simple as releasing expansion based servers but having to watch patching for each as well, since there's always going to be something that someone doesn't like. Or what? They could just listen to the "majority" about it and determine patches based on that? I'm not sure if pirate supported noticed but blizzard is honestly listening to the majority by keeping the game the way it is (and I honestly haven't really enjoyed WoW since timeless isle in MoP, even though I hated most of MoP too).

What pirate knights dont seem to understand is that they never OWNED WoW, they simply bought into it and if they read it since day one they would understand that. Such as something as simple as "Online experience may change." You can interpret it how you want but a patch/expansion falls under those lines even if you do not like it. They do not restrict your access to the game, you just can't play the game that you wanted but you agreed to that when you bought it. I mean if you're old enough to buy something, you should be old enough to read and comprehend actual sentences as they are stated, not how you interpret them to mean in your own mind.
    Forgrimm
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    That title is complete garbage, run into the ground by Derek My-Mission-In-Life-Is-To-Shit-On-Star-Citizen Smart.
    ConstantineMerusMadFrenchieGhavriggzaberfangxWarlyx
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,125
    I find this a little amusing because when Nostralius shut down there were some very passionate posters who were lauding the integrity of the people who run these servers. That they were doing this because they loved WoW and so on and so forth. So we are now discovering they're a bunch of thieves....surprise well not really.

Why don't they just outright charge for it since they are out of Blizzard's reach they can basically just charge and pay people properly so that they don't steal to make a living. They can hire and run it properly.

All the hypocritical people who have been playing for free are now acting all outraged....dude you were playing on a private server leave the outrage outside the door please before you enter.
    GdemamiTheScavengerForgrimm

• LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,818
    Tragic. I can not explain how good was to play on Elysium.
    This was probably only MMO worth playing right now...
    aliven

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,933
    kitarad said:
    I find this a little amusing because when Nostralius shut down there were some very passionate posters who were lauding the integrity of the people who run these servers. That they were doing this because they loved WoW and so on and so forth. So we are now discovering they're a bunch of thieves....surprise well not really.

Why don't they just outright charge for it since they are out of Blizzard's reach they can basically just charge and pay people properly so that they don't steal to make a living. They can hire and run it properly.

All the hypocritical people who have been playing for free are now acting all outraged....dude you were playing on a private server leave the outrage outside the door please before you enter.
    I was one of those people, and I still uphold their integrity. I still have zero doubt that the people who have, and will continue to run Elysium do it because they want to give people Vanilla WoW.

If you choose to believe them, most of the money made from selling gold and the few (literally 3 that we know of) max level characters was put back into server hosting. Even if you don't believe that, who cares? It's an illegal server and all of us playing are doing so against Blizzard's ToS for fuck's sake!

The only people making a stink out of this are the same people who made a stink back in February when the allegations were first made and then denied. Once the complaining died down the rest of us normal players went on playing. 

Normal players aren't shocked by this. This isn't our first private WoW server, we know these guys skim money off the top. If it keeps them working and improving the server then so be it.

Even the former Elysium devs who orchestrated this mutiny admit that in the past they've done the same things on other projects (and no one would be surprised if they had on Elysium as well). 

Now that it's all out in the open I think the Elysium devs will do exactly what you say, just outright charge people with a cash shop. It's already been discussed fairly heavily and the community seems rather okay with it.
    GdemamialivenManWithNoTan
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 812
    It is possible that Blizzard chooses not to offer Vanilla servers so as not to split their player base between them and current game ones, or perhaps would rather not find out how many would start playing on the Vanilla servers rather than staying where they are.

Or, as was mentioned before, they may not feel it will earn them enough to be worth the bother. Blizzard my believe those seeking Vanilla servers are just a vocal minority of players too small to justify offering the option.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 812

Ghavrigg said:

vtravi said:

Ghavrigg said:

vtravi said:

You speak as though $15/month is a huge expense when it is in fact trivial, save to those with limited fixed income or from economically challenged nations.

Updates a person has no interest in aren't going to be a relevant factor when deciding if a subscription to play a game with older, static content is worth the cost.
    Gdemami
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,542
    in for 60 pg thread debate
    SBFord
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 2,882
    why ppl still donate is beyond me , isnt the 1 nor will be the last
    SBFord
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Tamanous said:
    This is the life of private server play. Nothing new. Just the next stage of the drama.
    It does kind of add a meta quest:

[Against the Clock]

"Can YOU hit level cap and BiS before shutdown?"
    SBFordaliven
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,802
    Ghavrigg said:

Yes
    alivenJamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,972
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    That's not accurate.  There's a dedicated subforum to those discussions, and linking is allowed and occurs without bans.
    ah, yeah there is. Last I knew it was a bannable offense to link to such things or even discuss/talk about, but guess it changed. Thought it was like the subject of politics/religion, a bannable offense. Looks like that rule changed lol
    It was, until the Nost vs Blizzard debacle (if I remember correctly), at which point Bill and the gang added the subforum.
    Actually the rules of the subforum state you may only discuss private servers permitted by the IP owner,  such as Project 1999, those for "dead games such as SWG and one single exception,  you were permitted to discuss Elysium,  but no other WOW private servers.

You will still see them take down posts for any other private server. I once asked Bill if we could discuss the DAOC freeshard openly but he gave the standard answer I used to give my children,  "we'll see."  (As my kids would tell you,  this almost always means no) Still waiting. 

Not sure what the policy will be with this new turn of events.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,687
    edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
     those for "dead games such as SWG 
    ...which is weird since the servers are still as illegal as any other.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    That's why I mentioned working with these developers and providing close oversight would be a much better option than forcing them to work on the shady ends of legality.  Forcing them to keep detailed cost and revenue records and turning over all proceeds above operating costs to the original creator seems like a much better compromise for everyone involved than making an example out of a server once in a blue moon and allowing things like this to happen otherwise.
    What they are doing is illegal, so yes they are forced to work in the 'shady end of legality' because one wrong move from them and they end up on the wrong end of a court case, perhaps even prison. Sorry to burst the 'bubble' but when you are knowingly, perhaps willfully breaking the law the risks you take are entirely of your own making, and if it all goes pear shaped, then, sorry, but thats on you. Or as my uncle used to say, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
    Torval