Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - M

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageElysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - In World of Warcraft news that's always good for a few hundred comments, it's been revealed that the so-called "legacy" WoW server, Elysium, is shutting down due to "failures to uphold the project's ideas and integrity" with one "staff member" taking home about 2,000 Euros per month via PayPal donations. According to a new post on a site called "LightsHope.org", the project's servers are currently down in the hopes that they will relaunch again under new management.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Honestly, is anyone surprised? The temptation's real.
    MadFrenchieScorchien[Deleted User]AlbatroesAlomarNephethSovrathGhavriggwingoodXingbairongand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2017
       Shocking .........LMFAO
    and to add i warned folks about the gold selling and this is how they fund .. But noooo.. lol you gotta be crazy to give any of these kinds of operations your financial information ...
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711laseritGhavriggwingood
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I wish Bliz would stop being jerks and just host a couple of classic/progression style servers. I am always tempted to play on an private server but so many drama loving idiots ruin it. Plus the inevitable shut down.

SadfistunfilteredJW[Deleted User]AlomarGdemamiOctagon7711BruceYeelaseritforcelimaGhavriggand 7 others.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Were these the ones that Nostalrius gave their data too? If so I had heard bad things a out them and wondered why they would align themselves with someone with a known Rap that was poor.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Yeah, this is my surprised face.
    SBFord[Deleted User]

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    This is the life of private server play. Nothing new. Just the next stage of the drama.
    SBFordSovrathwingoodAelious

You stay sassy!

edited October 2017
    Torval said:
    Kumapon said:
    I wish Bliz would stop being jerks and just host a couple of classic/progression style servers. I am always tempted to play on an private server but so many drama loving idiots ruin it. Plus the inevitable shut down.

Yeah, this is Blizzards fault.

lolwut!
    It is the only real solution to it. How is this confusing to you?

Private Wow emulators will always exist because there is a demand for it. Blizzard has never been able to shut it down and never will. White knight opinions matter not. Fact is fact.

The only way Blizzard can take ownership of the situation is to own the service that the meets the demand. So either this occurs or the drama of private emulation continues and what ever evolution comes of it. These emulators are an open source project. Fans will always host and continue development of them.

This is all very simple. Nothing convoluted about it.
    MadFrenchieKumapon[Deleted User]AlomarGdemamilaseritXingbairongBananaSoupManWithNoTan

You stay sassy!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017

SBFord said:

Honestly, is anyone surprised? The temptation's real.

Surprise surprise, no honor amongst thieves lol But desperate people will do desperate things, both the staff and the people seeking an old version to the game they used to love.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Tamanous said:
    Torval said:
    Kumapon said:

Yeah, this is Blizzards fault.

lolwut!
    It is the only real solution to it. How is this confusing to you?

Private Wow emulators will always exist because there is a demand for it. Blizzard has never been able to shut it down and never will. White knight opinions matter not. Fact is fact.

The only way Blizzard can take ownership of the situation is to own the service that the meets the demand. So either this occurs or the drama of private emulation continues and what ever evolution comes of it. These emulators are an open source project. Fans will always host and continue development of them.

This is all very simple. Nothing convoluted about it.
    While in this instance, due to the wildly differing nature's of vanilla versus live, I agree, we should take care not to allow it to creep too far towards allowing anyone to run an emulation server at any point in an MMORPG's life cycle.

It's quite clear, in this instance, that the crowd populating these servers have little to no interest in the evolution the game took of late.  That's a large difference from simply wanting to play live but not pay the asking price for it, and is worth delineating.
    Xingbairong

edited October 2017
    About 80% of Elysium staff have left over this (only 2 were running the scam and kept it secret from most of the team). Most of the staff are now under the Lightshope project and the servers, under the same name, will be relaunched within 24-48 hours according to them.

Right now a 1-1 relaunch of servers. Promise of greater transparency according to live Q&A stream ongoing. 

This is basically a return to Nostalrius reclaim.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]KumaponOctagon7711

You stay sassy!

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.
    GdemamiKyleranThebeastttXingbairongShaighGaladournkb4bluGnogManWithNoTanJeffSpicoli

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited October 2017
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.
    Your opinion is pure naivety. You know nothing about the player base by this very statement.

Several servers are already fully supported by cash shops which means players pay. This is exactly how legal f2p servers work which is basically how retail Wow is now anyway, for a huge portion of the live player base.

This drama is over the vanilla wow servers that DID NOT WANT cash shops to influence the game and hoped donations were enough to keep the game alive without F2P influences in game ... the influences that impact retail Wow right now and forever changed to game as you admit yourself.

If players play retail Wow for free now ... how does your argument that players only play vanilla Wow because it's free or has cash shops as well make sense? It doesn't. You have no point to make.

If Blizzard hosts old version of Wow themselves it means that likely one subscription would allow access to all anyway. Players could still buy their sub in game with gold and access legacy server for free anyway. Those paying in cash shop are the same either way.

The likely outcome may actually be that Blizzard corrupts the legacy experience MORE than private emulation actually wants. Why? Because Blizzard's track record only proves it by the the very act of meta-marketed production of Wow that destroyed vanilla in the eye's of the players who support Nost/Elysium/Lightshope and I do not, nor ever will support emulators outside of that philosophy.

Please do not speak for a community you know absolutely nothing about. I should had that a large portion of Wow emulator players also play retail Wow. This is very evident from chat in game. A bulk of Wow player just like Wow ... all versions of it. They want to be able to play any Wow experience from launch through live retail. A mixed bag of old school, old Wow player and fresh players exist as well (again, most those coming from retail).
    ForgrimmAlbatroesGdemamizigalucardOzmodan[Deleted User]ThebeastttXingbairongSandmanjwkb4bluand 1 other.

You stay sassy!

No, a vanilla server isn't about that.  There's other private servers that offer objectively more content than vanilla by way of previous expacs.

If they were simply wanting free WoW, they would certainly not choose the one option that provides the LEAST content.

Jesus, some folks are so damn colorblind.
    TamanousGdemami[Deleted User]Xingbairong

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017

Tamanous said:

Your opinion is pure naivety. You know nothing about the player base by this very statement.

Several servers are already fully supported by cash shops which means players pay. This is exactly how legal f2p servers work which is basically how retail Wow is now anyway, for a huge portion of the live player base.

This drama is over the vanilla wow servers that DID NOT WANT cash shops to influence the game and hoped donations were enough to keep the game alive without F2P influences in game ... the influences that impact retail Wow right now and forever changed to game as you admit yourself.

If players play retail Wow for free now ... how does your argument that players only play vanilla Wow because it's free or has cash shops as well make sense? It doesn't. You have no point to make.

If Blizzard hosts old version of Wow themselves it means that likely one subscription would allow access to all anyway. Players could still buy their sub in game with gold and access legacy server for free anyway. Those paying in cash shop are the same either way.

The likely outcome may actually be that Blizzard corrupts the legacy experience MORE than private emulation actually wants. Why? Because Blizzard's track record only proves it by the the very act of meta-marketed production of Wow that destroyed vanilla in the eye's of the players who support Nost/Elysium/Lightshope and I do not, nor ever will support emulators outside of that philosophy.

Please do not speak for a community you know absolutely nothing about. I should had that a large portion of Wow emulator players also play retail Wow. This is very evident from chat in game. A bulk of Wow player just like Wow ... all versions of it. They want to be able to play any Wow experience from launch through live retail. A mixed bag of old school, old Wow player and fresh players exist as well (again, most those coming from retail).

You're trying to compare a project's management of an ORIGINAL product to something that is stolen and being profited off of. Some defenses for private servers are always funny.
    ScorchienForgrimmTheScavengerkb4bluManWithNoTan
    If blizzard saw that a classic server was worth the time and investment, they'd have done it by now. They don't go "ah yeah that classic server would make us millions! But lets not bother making it"...

...no, they more go "well a lot of people are playing these classic WoW servers, but we are pretty sure most people wouldn't pay for it and it wouldn't be worth the investment and resources to put into it"
    Mike_LManWithNoTan

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    If blizzard saw that a classic server was worth the time and investment, they'd have done it by now. They don't go "ah yeah that classic server would make us millions! But lets not bother making it"...

...no, they more go "well a lot of people are playing these classic WoW servers, but we are pretty sure most people wouldn't pay for it and it wouldn't be worth the investment and resources to put into it"
    As usual you are one of the most obtuse posters on these forums. It has nothing to do with it being free, there is a huge portion of people that want to play that version of the game. Also, World of Warcraft isn't Blizzard's cash cow anymore, so its not that legacy servers wouldn't make them money, it us far more likely they would rather invest those resources into new projects, the returns would much greater. 
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95
    and this guys, this is how blizzknights look like

asdasdasd

There is no difference between free servers (when the original servers are still up and running) and pirating. Both are stealing revenue from the developers. 

The only time private servers are good is if an MMO has been shut down. Otherwise its a bunch of freeloaders.

I wonder how many people here in this thread would be for stealing EVE Online servers and hosting FREE Eve Online servers for everyone to play without paying for the game? 

Same thing as stealing WoW servers.  
    OzmodanThebeastttkb4bluManWithNoTanEponyxDamor

edited October 2017
    Albatroes said:

Tamanous said:

You're trying to compare a project's management of an ORIGINAL product to something that is stolen and being profited off of. Some defenses for private servers are always funny.
    Incorrect. Now you just nitpicking to make a point.

My point is now, and always will be, that the only way for Blizzard to take ownership of this issue is to host legacy servers themselves. How that iteration would be done is something I cannot predict. I speak of why players are attracted to the Nost/Elysium/Lightshope philosophy of Wow emulation and the current meta of emulators running.

I do not defend all private emulators and their methodology... I merely give the facts of why they exist. What is to defend? The reasons they exist won't go away because of your opinion. You can choose not to play on them but to argue over what is right or wrong does not change what is reality.

The reason why emulators have cash shops is because costs of development and hosting demand it. Because of the loops they must jump through to keep them running to avoid legal issues they are limited by their methods. Who profits by how much and the methodology used can be a choice behind why someone supports it or not but that is not my point.

You may choose any reason why not to support it just like I choose not to support Blizzard for the legalized corruption they profit from. I do not support developers who now use F2P marketing strategy and who reshape their products to different market groups against the wishes of their original audience. This goes for any product and not just within the video game market.

I will not be a lemming standing by watching the the free market collapse under oligarchy control without expressing whatever influence is left to us lowly consumers. The consumer is a product now, and the ignorance expressed by many of you here condones this. 50% of Americans just had their full identity information leaked yet the company at fault will only profit from this due to current laws protecting them and not the citizen. You do nothing and let it happen. F2P and meta-marketed games with nearly zero diversity in genre has taken over video games. You do nothing and let it happen.

What is legal does explicitly mean what is right. Legality is not a static concept. It evolves and it's evolution currently progresses to protecting the rights of business and not the consumer. This has EVERYTHING to do with what is going on here.

This is the core concept of consumerism and capitalism: a consumer demand exists and this demand is met by business venture. What is the demand here? Legacy Wow. Is the market providing a product to meet his demand? Yes. Is the business that created this demand making this product? No.

Who is perpetuating this demand by not providing the ONLY legal solution? Blizzard.

Blizzard holds the cards. Blizzard is using the law to not support the very concept of consumerism. The law is the inhibitor of consumerism within a so called capitalistic country. This is the modern trend of business. This is what the ignorant consumer supports who hides behind the very laws that no longer protects their interests. They very video game market you support makes niche game development harder and harder for independent development. Choice is swallowed up by nearly unmitigated mergers ... in nearly all areas of business.

If you argue against the concept of why the demand of legacy Wow exists (whether it's currently legal or not) ... you argue against your very right as a consumer. Your ignorance is so clear it is sublime.

This is the last I post on this. Time and time again it becomes apparent to me that the vast majority of posters hear lack the free thinking capacity to comprehend the current nature of how industry works today and where it's headed. These are fruitless debates.
    GdemamiSandmanjwkb4blu

You stay sassy!

There is no difference between free servers (when the original servers are still up and running) and pirating. Both are stealing revenue from the developers. 

The only time private servers are good is if an MMO has been shut down. Otherwise its a bunch of freeloaders.

I wonder how many people here in this thread would be for stealing EVE Online servers and hosting FREE Eve Online servers for everyone to play without paying for the game? 

If you're going to completely ignore rebuttals to your argument just to repeat yourself, you might as well drop the facade and go full troll.  Or better yet, just LOL like gdemami so we don't have to scroll past the inane over and over.
    TheScavengerJamesGoblinManWithNoTanEponyxDamor

If you're going to completely ignore rebuttals to your argument just to repeat yourself, you might as well drop the facade and go full troll.  Or better yet, just LOL like gdemami so we don't have to scroll past the inane over and over.
    I don't approve of pirating or stealing from developers or companies. Pirating and stealing isn't worth my time to defend, because everyone knows its wrong (and illegal in many cases, since Blizzard for example has shut down private servers before)

Do you approve of stealing and pirating then?

Only two answers, yes you do and you love private servers, or no you don't and don't approve of private servers stealing from developers.

Which one is it?

I don't approve of pirating or stealing from developers or companies. Pirating and stealing isn't worth my time to defend, because everyone knows its wrong (and illegal in many cases, since Blizzard for example has shut down private servers before)

Do you approve of stealing and pirating then?

Only two answers, yes you do and you love private servers, or no you don't and don't approve of private servers stealing from developers.

Which one is it?
    And yet you still miss it completely.  False dichotomies aren't strong arguments.
    TheScavengerGdemamiXingbairong

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Tamanous said:
    Albatroes said:

Tamanous said:

My point is now, and always will be, that the only way for Blizzard to take ownership of this issue is to host legacy servers themselves. How that iteration would be done is something I cannot predict. I speak of why players are attracted to the Nost/Elysium/Lightshope philosophy of Wow emulation and the current meta of emulators running.

I do not defend private emulators ... I merely give the facts of why they exist. What is to defend? The reasons they exist won't go away because of your opinion. You can choose not to play on them but to argue over what is right or wrong does not change what is reality.

The reason why emulators have cash shops is because costs of development and hosting demand it. Because of the loops they must jump through to keep them running to avoid legal issues they are limited by their methods. Who profits by how much and the methodology used can be a choice behind why someone supports it or not but that is not my point.

You may choose any reason why not to support it just like I choose not to support Blizzard for the legalized corruption they profit from. I do not support developers who now use F2P marketing strategy and who reshape their products to different market groups against the wishes of their original audience. This goes for any product and not just within the video game market.

I will not be a lemming standing by watching the the free market collapse under oligarchy control without expressing whatever influence is left to us lowly consumers. The consumer is a product now, and the ignorance expressed by many of you here condones this. 50% of Americans just had their full identity information leaked yet the company at fault will only profit from this due to current laws protecting them and not the citizen. You do nothing and let it happen. F2P and meta-marketed games with nearly zero diversity in genre has taken over video games. You do nothing and let it happen.

What is legal does explicitly mean what is right. Legality is not a static concept. It evolves and it's evolution currently progresses to protecting the rights of business and not the consumer. This has EVERYTHING to do with what is going on here.

This is the core concept of consumerism and capitalism: a consumer demand exists and this demand is met by business venture. What is the demand here? Legacy Wow. Is the market providing a product to meet his demand? Yes. Is the business that created this demand making this product? No.

Who is perpetuating this demand by not providing the ONLY legal solution? Blizzard.

Blizzard holds the cards. Blizzard is using the law to not support the very concept of consumerism. The law is the inhibitor of consumerism within a so called capitalistic country. This is the modern trend of business. This is what the ignorant consumer supports who hides behind the very laws that no longer protects their interests. They very video game market you support makes niche game development harder and harder for independent development. Choice is swallowed up by nearly unmitigated mergers ... in nearly all areas of business.

If you argue against the concept of why the demand of legacy Wow exists (whether it's currently legal or not) ... you argue against your very right as a consumer. Your ignorance is so clear it is sublime.

This is the last I post on this. Time and time again it becomes apparent to me that the vast majority of posters hear lack the free thinking capacity to comprehend the current nature of how industry works today and where it's headed. These are fruitless debates.
    That is Blizzard's choice not these idiots running private servers.  Why would any intelligent being even bother with a private server, all of the self destruct either through shenanigans like this one of through action by Blizzard.  All their private servers are essentially thieves.  The only thing I see in this post is a lot of self justification for doing something that is dumb.
    TheScavenger
    Ozmodan said:
    Tamanous said:
    Albatroes said:

Tamanous said:

I do not defend private emulators ... I merely give the facts of why they exist. What is to defend? The reasons they exist won't go away because of your opinion. You can choose not to play on them but to argue over what is right or wrong does not change what is reality.

That is Blizzard's choice not these idiots running private servers.  Why would any intelligent being even bother with a private server, all of the self destruct either through shenanigans like this one of through action by Blizzard.  All their private servers are essentially thieves.  The only thing I see in this post is a lot of self justification for doing something that is dumb.
    Pirates will always defend their pirating ways.

First its, DRM oh no! ...but witcher 3 had no DRM and was still heavily pirated

Too many microtransactions! oh no! but witcher 3 had free DLC and amazing expansions...and was still heavily pirated

Pirates and thieves will always defend their actions, because they know its stealing and wrong but don't want to look like criminals and petty thieves.
    HorusraMadFrenchieSpottyGekko

Ozmodan said:
    Tamanous said:
    Albatroes said:

Tamanous said:

Pirates will always defend their pirating ways.

First its, DRM oh no! ...but witcher 3 had no DRM and was still heavily pirated

Too many microtransactions! oh no! but witcher 3 had free DLC and amazing expansions...and was still heavily pirated

Pirates and thieves will always defend their actions, because they know its stealing and wrong but don't want to look like criminals and petty thieves.
    I sense a level of butthurt from you on this topic. 

Did someone steal your favorite Legos when you were a kid?
    TheScavengerXingbairongJunglecharly