Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question will I need to play hot to play roof content

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
So I decided to reroll a new character can anyone tell me will I need to play Heart of thorns content to play the latest expansion or once I finish vanilla gw2 I just jump right into the latest contact I'm confused? Guild Wars 2 has no leveling in expansions right? So do I just skip over the last expansion or will I need to play through that story to play the latest expansion
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2017
    @thunderC The base game is leveling from 1 to 80.  HoT is leveling a set of elite skills and receiving and leveling glider skills.  PoF is leveling another set of elite skills and getting and leveling 5 mounts, each with different skill sets.  

You can use your level 80 skills in the other expansions without the elite skills but some elite skills are pretty good depending on your class.  

Some stories may be needed in order to get access to some content in the base game, HoT, or PoF.

Glider comes in handy in most areas and you can't level without in HoT.  Same with mounts in PoF.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    So if I'm understanding correctly I can jump right to pof ? But progression is set up so I could do either ? Kind of sandbox lvling after vanilla gw2?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    thunderC said:
    So if I'm understanding correctly I can jump right to pof ? But progression is set up so I could do either ? Kind of sandbox lvling after vanilla gw2?
    Yes. The only useful of the HoT masteries is the glider when you are outside maguma but you can use the skimmer as a somewhat less good replacement until you get the griffon.

The mastery levels are all adding somewhat useful skills, the difference is that the PoF skills are useful in HoT but not really the other way around.

You will also get access to the base games masteries if you own either expansion.  A few of those are helpful but only the auto loot function is really good unless you spend a lot of time in fractals.

Of course there are the elite speccs for each class but you basically just need to own HoT to get it's speccs even if you might want to do a few easy HPs in the first HoT zone even if you don't care about HoT.

But you don't really need to own HoT besides that.

The only disadvantage of jumping directly to PoF is the personal story but it will be recapped.
    JeffSpicoli