Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school design flaws... are they real problems !

12346»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

So before you say "Games need to be fun!" remember "fun" means different things to different gamers. Yes there's a majority audience and it usually has the same understanding of "fun", but don't apply it everybody else.

Sure. But i doubt there is a big enough market for "camp the static spawn with 20 groups waiting in line" game play. May be there are some players who still like that. But i won't touch that with a ten foot pole, and i doubt any dev would believe there is enough money for them to touch it.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited October 2017

So before you say "Games need to be fun!" remember "fun" means different things to different gamers. Yes there's a majority audience and it usually has the same understanding of "fun", but don't apply it everybody else.

Sure. But i doubt there is a big enough market for "camp the static spawn with 20 groups waiting in line" game play. May be there are some players who still like that. But i won't touch that with a ten foot pole, and i doubt any dev would believe there is enough money for them to touch it.
    I didn't say there's a market for it. In my post, I specifically referenced in-game GPS (and glowies). However, I didn't like camping. I did my epic and had to camp some of the drops for HOURS. HOWEVER, some people DID like camping and I won't rule it out as a feature in a game. Just because you don't like something or most players don't like it, doesn't mean it's invalid, sorry but that's reality. It may only be desirable for a handful of players,  but for those handful players it'll be a gift from god.

This difference between players is reality and it's on display probably right now between you and me. This is not news to me. In the many years I've played games and MMO's, I've seen many kinds of players. It's hard to refrain from arguing, especially when defending your own likes and dislikes, but many times that's exactly what we have to do, or we'll be arguing for the rest of our life.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited October 2017
    I played Everquest in third person view from the very beginning. I never played in first person view. I would have been nauseous since I cannot play anything in first person view.  It offered several options I think there was a far camera distance look too which people kiting used. The one I used was called over the shoulder.
    Chamber of Chains
  • grailofgamesgrailofgames Member CommonPosts: 6
    Check my latest video and don't forget to subscribe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUaYkMW4394
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    3rd person view was pretty horrible in EQ if I recall.  It was even worse with the UI taking up the majority of the screen.  First person view is great anyway.  It gives you that fear that something might be sneaking up behind you.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
     Just because you don't like something or most players don't like it, doesn't mean it's invalid, sorry but that's reality. It may only be desirable for a handful of players,  but for those handful players it'll be a gift from god.

No one says it is invalid. In fact, what the hell does "valid" even means in this context. Preference is just that. Some people like it. Some don't. That is the end of it.

However, God does not make video games. The simple truth is that a feature few likes is not going to be made, unless one of the "likers" (haha is that a word) is a billionaire who is willing to fund the whole thing.

And on a public forum, it is fair game to state what people dislike (e.g. camping static spawn taking a number in line), right?