Starting Cities

12345679»

Comments

• FeyshteyFeyshtey Fort Collins, COMember UncommonPosts: 136
    Multiple starting cities is important for many reasons. Having a cultural feel for your character, having more replayability options, and not least having a dispersed population early in the game so that there isnt 1 or 2 hubs so overpopulated with newbies that framerate is crap and even if you could move around there's nothing to fight because it's all perma-dead. 

I also think there's value in having that dangerous separation by geography between starting locations.  Yes, there's a rougher time early on meeting up with your friends. But those early highly dangerous runs in EQ to gather our group together taught every single one of us a lasting respect for the environment, and a sense of fear that really reinforced our immersion in the game. 

In a game like Pantheon that means to roll back the encroachment of hand-holding in the MMO genre, setting that expectation early and firmly is a good introduction, IMO. It might turn some off, but I believe it will more completely draw in many more. 
    ZuljanDullahanGyva02

-Feyshtey-

• AdamantineAdamantine NowhereMember UncommonPosts: 3,999
    I dont know exactly how it will be in Patheon but I expect them to have one starter city per race.

Freely choosing the starter city would be a cool feature though.

Personally I hope the starter cities themselves will be relatively short, then you'll go to the newbie area of the continent, and then you'll have to do big travels to the various areas for your level on the various continents.
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Seattle, WAMember UncommonPosts: 3,642

You know, that is a good idea.  It would reconcile both issues at once, allowing friends of different races to start in the same city without having to provide instant travel between cities.  I mean nothing says you should have to start the game in the city of your race.

The only restriction would be faction.  You could not start in a city where you are KOS.  So you and your friend would still have to make characters that are on the same faction with one another.

jimmywolf

• XthosXthos Columbus, OHMember UncommonPosts: 2,684
    Zindaihas said:

You know, that is a good idea.  It would reconcile both issues at once, allowing friends of different races to start in the same city without having to provide instant travel between cities.  I mean nothing says you should have to start the game in the city of your race.

The only restriction would be faction.  You could not start in a city where you are KOS.  So you and your friend would still have to make characters that are on the same faction with one another.

I could see where this could work, but I think if you are starting in a evil city, you should be KOS in good cities, like the inhabitants of the city you are in, but also be barely non-kos in the evil city you are starting in....Kind of like a outsider.  So if you were say a barbarian in EQ1 and started in the dark elf city Neriak, you would be kos in the barbarian city Halas, like you were a traitor, and you would need to gain faction.  I was the opposite and EQ, played a Dark Elf and I got faction in Qeynos/Halas so roaming npcs would not attack me, I could use the bank, and play with friends (I had to do the run to do it in EQ1 though).
  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,922
    Xthos said:
    Zindaihas said:

I could see where this could work, but I think if you are starting in a evil city, you should be KOS in good cities, like the inhabitants of the city you are in, but also be barely non-kos in the evil city you are starting in....Kind of like a outsider.  So if you were say a barbarian in EQ1 and started in the dark elf city Neriak, you would be kos in the barbarian city Halas, like you were a traitor, and you would need to gain faction.  I was the opposite and EQ, played a Dark Elf and I got faction in Qeynos/Halas so roaming npcs would not attack me, I could use the bank, and play with friends (I had to do the run to do it in EQ1 though).
    Functionally, choosing the starting city is identical to a one-time transport event, which was discussed (rather, shouted down) earlier.  It's a good idea, either way.

The fiction just changes from a 'character grew up here' to 'character comes here'.  As long as the character's family isn't represented in the game (NPC parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, siblings, etc. which would be incredibly neat), there's no tie to the starting city.  I actually think I like the 'refugee' over the 'born here' lore better, because it gives a bit more latitude for role-playing.  Starting point wouldn't need to be at the singular trainer's feet (as in EQ1), but at the outskirts of the city.  Really simple to achieve.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.