Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Psychology of spending money on video games vs other things

2»

Comments

• DominashDominash Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited May 3
    Honestly, I never hesitate when I am thinking about buying a new video game. I mean, let's be objective, it is just like going out with your friends and drinking a coffee, in both of these cases, these are not "well spent money". Some might say that I am spending money on video games without a second thought, because I am a gamer, however that is not true! I am playing video games only when I have some free time, and I do not want to gamble, as my favorite hobby is gambling. Right now, due to the pandemic, I am gambling on https://biggreenweek.com/id-ID/Home/ as it is one of the most relibale online gambling platforms.

Post edited by Dominash on
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 506
    since you can only waste time while you serve out your sentence here on the earth, video games are a cheap, easy and mostly benign way to do this. 

Like anything a balance is required here. At the end of the day you should fill your time with activities you enjoy.

its a myth that you have to be productive all the time. Only slaves believe that and you'll die all the same. 

.23 of a second to midnight
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,670
    I'm gonna just wave to my future self the next time this thread gets necro'd. /wave
    tzervoSlapshot1188Theocrituslaxie
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,822
    While I do have buyers remorse, which is I it's own problem, and I am also a little funny with money, where I will blow thousands for something that revolves around my job/work, because I see that as an investment into my income, but, when it comes to other things, no so much.

Anyway, the way I handle games is simple. I put aside $20 a 'paycheck', well more like $20 twice a month, ($40 a Month total) and while this is not much overall, really, that is my gaming fund. It's controlled, it's set aside, it's my game money to spend as I want. And I spend it. The second I put in my account, it is either goes into my steam wallet, or into the game I am playing currently, it never sits around to be spent on something else

In doing this, I have always had funds to buy the games I wanted to buy, or get the things in game in I wanted to get. The few times I broke this system were when expansions comes out, and I will just buy the expansion, and still set aside my gaming money.

Sure, games can be free to play, and some people get all stingy on this, or treat it like a challenge, or simply do not have a lot of money, and this is their way to stretch their dollars, but as I see it, if it is worth the time of my life, for me to invest my life hours spent into that game, it's worth money.

I cannot for the life of me, think that I would I spend time doing something, and feel that it was not worth a single cent, if that happens, I would strongly wonder why I was doing it to start with, and this applies to anything. I mean, I would not be building a deck if I thought the deck had no value, or was not worth spending money on, etc, etc. To each their own on that one.. you do you, I'll do me.

Anyway, that I how I handle it, I just set aside a rationed amount, and play with that.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,340
    edited May 3
    Forgrimm said:
    I'm the same way, I'll spend money on various things from week to week without giving it a second thought, but when it comes to buying a video game I hesitate. I think a big part of it is because of free to play games. For example, I downloaded Secret World Legends, played to max level and got 50-something hours out of it without spending a dime. So then if I'm checking out a single player game that I know may only give 15 to 20 hours or so of gameplay, I have a tough time justifying the cost. It's like, "Hmmm, $30 to $50 for 20 hours of gameplay, or $0 for 50+ hours of gameplay..."

I used to go to a couple of electronics stores in the area and game shop all the time...it was before digital download...I would spend at least an hour or two reading all teh boxes and game guides trying to get an idea if I would like the game or not and if it was worth the money....At that point, not much was free.....We spent and it wasn't an issue, but as the free stuff started coming along then it did change the picture...

.Alot of the brick and mortar places that carried games went out of business, and alot of the game companies went to digital download instead of box sales......With digital downloads, I don't feel I get my moneys worth alot of the time.....With the box, I got discs, maps, game guides, coupons for other products, etc etc etc.....and I don't like to compare it to spending on other things like food or other entertainment....
  • olepiolepi Member RarePosts: 1,609
    I'll have to admit that I make over $100 an hour. So the cost of a game is nothing. I buy games all the time, if they have good reviews, and sometimes hardly play them.

I also stay subbed to multiple MMO's, even when not playing.

However, I spend almost nothing in any cash shop in a game. Don't care much about cosmetics, and don't want to rush to the end game. I don't mind grinding for a  while to get something.

I could be a whale, except I don't buy anything in the cash shops and certainly never buy loot boxes. I also almost never give any money to the kickstarter efforts.
    laxieUngoodtzervo

------------
    2021: 44 years on the Net.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,101
    olepi said:
    I could be a whale, except I don't buy anything in the cash shops and certainly never buy loot boxes. I also almost never give any money to the kickstarter efforts.
    Is that because you don't see it as value for money?
    Or because the whole notion of it doesn't appeal to you at all?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,605
    Since i'm single i really can't comment on that part, but for the rest of the OP post i'm the opposite. If I have $100 dollars to burn i eat cheap so I can have more money to spend on games. Both expensive and cheap food will end up in the toilet when I get home so yeah... I kind of rather spend more money on longer lasting things. I've always being like that. A $200 dollar bottle of fine wine just to pee it 20 minutes later? mmm suddenly that cheap Night Train looks delightful, and i have enough cash left for a couple of full priced games, or a bunch of older ones.

But then again, i'm single. Money management does change when more people get involved.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,822
    Since i'm single i really can't comment on that part, but for the rest of the OP post i'm the opposite. If I have $100 dollars to burn i eat cheap so I can have more money to spend on games. Both expensive and cheap food will end up in the toilet when I get home so yeah... I kind of rather spend more money on longer lasting things. I've always being like that. A $200 dollar bottle of fine wine just to pee it 20 minutes later? mmm suddenly that cheap Night Train looks delightful, and i have enough cash left for a couple of full priced games, or a bunch of older ones.

But then again, i'm single. Money management does change when more people get involved.
    Eh.. 

you still end up eating cheap, you just have less for games regardless.
    tzervo
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.