Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Announcements at Blizzcon but 'We're Hard at Work on the Future of Diablo' - Diablo 3 - MMORPG.co

Comments

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,656
    They are taking the safe road. Not surprising at all.

Many companies slowed down production of new titles (even in record breaking series) when they can work in microtransactions and DLC content or updates. That's not a bad thing, I for one think there is space for microtransactions in games, when done right.

Blizzard never risked and always delivered very polished games, even if not to my taste.

So if they are taking their time with Diablo series there is a good reason for it.

Maybe they don't want to show D4 if it's not different enough to justify a whole new product and as someone said above: D3 still sells. Any word about something new could put a hold on that too.
    lahnmirGdemami
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,817
    DMKano said:
    D3 has been way more profitable than D1 and D2 combined.

D3 has been amazing for Blizzard.
    D2 was a top ten seller for how many years? I do know that there are way more games out there now than there were at the time of starcraft and D2, but I think in terms of marketshare, I'd probably guess D2 had way more market share and if you could extrapolate the sales of D2 to this time now (kind of like how inflation works), then I think D2 would kill D3 in terms of money made now. 

Not that I disagree that D3 has been amazing for blizzard and made more money, I just think D2 was way better for its time and if it was as popular back then compared to now, it would have made a ton more. 

Sort of like how Michael Jordan's salary was like 3 million per year in the early 90's but you know if he played today he'd have a max salary (and the largest one if they didn't have max salaries) while D3 is like an average NBA player now that makes like 15 million who is only average.

Yes, D3 is good for blizzard, but D2 was better for the time period. However, I truly have no statistics or evidence to back this up, just anecdotal evidence and thoughts. But it's an unsubstantiated opinion I have.

Cryomatrix 
    GdemamiZeneren
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,731
    edited September 2017
    Blizzard has become a company that talks more than a Woody Allen movie and provides nothing of value except for cute plushy toys and merchandise.

They constantly just bait everyone with news that never turns out being any spectacular. I'm starting to think that WC4, D4, WoW2 will never be made and all we'll get are e-comics for their existing games that get a minimal amount of content updates compared to other games in the same genres. I'm also starting to think that those secret projects they moved all the "best devs" to don't even exist. At this point I'd be happy with a WoW or Diablo survival game, match 3(cause they have CC tech now), tower defense or even just a D2 remaster but I don't think even those are a possibility.
    Gdemami
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    edited September 2017
    yeah they are gonna milk d3 as much as possible. honestly since its blizzard there will probably be at least 1 possibly 2 more expansions before they do anything else. see u guys in 2025. i mean it took years and years and years for d3 to come out after the uber success of d2.....

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 152

DMKano said:

I mean, that has nothing to do with quality of the games and everything to do with how big PC gaming has become since the late 90's and early 2000's...
    Zeneren
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,977
    edited September 2017
    xDarkjoy said:

DMKano said:

I mean, that has nothing to do with quality of the games and everything to do with how big PC gaming has become since the late 90's and early 2000's...

I dont think the why really matters, it certainly doesnt to Blizzard as the money speaks louder than anything else for large companies like Blizz.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    edited September 2017
    that's not unusual.

1) last year there was a manufacturers mixup on the dice they gave away and everyone assumed it was a hint for D4.

2) They are probably 2 years away from announcing whatever the next big Diablo project actually is.

I'm hoping next year they'll be ready to announce the D2 and LOD remasters. I'm kind of surprised they won't even announce anything regarding a D3 druid class. It seems like the next logical step after the necromancer.
    Gdemami
    edited September 2017

I'll just leave this here.

Please change the difficulty system. It encourages playing the minimal difficulty to get the most which translates into incredible easy for the best rate of gear drops.

it doesn't incentive playing the lowest difficulty at all. It incentives doing the highest difficulty you can while maintaining a fast time. Those are two very different things.
    DMKano said:

Not relative to HOTS, Hearthstone or WOW. Games like SC and Diablo need new monetization models in order to get put back on a pedestal. Their profit margins are nowhere near as high or consistent as their big money makers.
  • CygiCygi Member UncommonPosts: 201
    No Diablo 3 at Blizzcon...

...meanwhile in december we'll get new expansion for Path of Exile.

Okay...
    Zeneren
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,062

I'll just leave this here.

Please change the difficulty system. It encourages playing the minimal difficulty to get the most which translates into incredible easy for the best rate of gear drops.

it doesn't incentive playing the lowest difficulty at all. It incentives doing the highest difficulty you can while maintaining a fast time. Those are two very different things.
    DMKano said:

Not relative to HOTS, Hearthstone or WOW. Games like SC and Diablo need new monetization models in order to get put back on a pedestal. Their profit margins are nowhere near as high or consistent as their big money makers.
    Stop it, you're being too reasonable and intelligent here!! Let me rephrase what you actually meant to say:

Blizzard are stupid and dumb and release no content. They abandoned their real games for simple and easy cash grabs and don't care about consumers at all! They suck, their games suck and their attitude sucks. They used to make some half decent games but that time is long gone. Boooo Blizzard!!

There you go, you don't even have to thank me  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 238
    You should have learned by now, nothing happens fast at Blizzard. Years to figure what to do, then 5-10 years to build it but the products are very polished.
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 197
    edited September 2017
    Without scrapping the paragon system there is nothing they can do. I am paragon 4400~ gear/drops do not matter. 99% of stats come from my paragon, even if someone had 100% perfect gear + paragon 3000. my stats are 10x higher and he will never beat me in any greater rift.

Archeage EU - Nui

• MensurMensur Member RarePosts: 865
    ITS A DIABLO MMO!!!!!!!! I know its not realistic but ill keep dreaming!

Proud MMORPG.com member since 2009! 

• ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124

SBFord said:

What a mixed bag of feelings on this one:

* depression * No news at Blizzcon

* happy * But we're working towards the future

* depression * ...by exploring what's next for the franchise

Like they haven't already thought about "what's next" given that D3 is 5+ years old?

Don't mind me. I'll be curled in a fetal position around my pillow crying crocodile tears. :(

Are you forgetting how long we waited for D3? Or are you too young for that?
  • ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124

Mensur said:

ITS A DIABLO MMO!!!!!!!! I know its not realistic but ill keep dreaming!

Sadly if it's anything like WoW, it'll be boring. :/
  • CygiCygi Member UncommonPosts: 201
    You should have learned by now, nothing happens fast at Blizzard. Years to figure what to do, then 5-10 years to build it but the products are very polished.
    Yeah, their products are very polished, especially Diablo 2 and 3 at the release date. ;)
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 151
    "We're hard at work on the future of Diablo"

I take that as they don't really have any long term plan or direction for the Diablo franchise. Their latest patch which appears to be based off player feedback would be evidence of that.

Just my take on the situation.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,590
    I really don't see any major changes coming for this franchise.  They might add a new area or so, but the mechanics are pretty much set in stone.  The funny thing, all they really had to do was make a graphically updated D2 and they would have had a hit, instead they thought they could make D3 better with a new design and they essentially failed.
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Thought we would get something new, oh well, guess POE until something new from D3.
    I couldn't tell if you meant Path of Exile or Pillars of Eternity.  Either is an acceptable alternative, though.
    Gdemami
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Without scrapping the paragon system there is nothing they can do. I am paragon 4400~ gear/drops do not matter. 99% of stats come from my paragon, even if someone had 100% perfect gear + paragon 3000. my stats are 10x higher and he will never beat me in any greater rift.

You're at the top of the ladder? Which class?
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

play seasons ...
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,010

I agree with you that it incentivizes doing the highest difficulty while maintaining a fast time. It is, without a doubt, one of the easiest and most boring ARPG progression systems ever. That's why I don't like the difficulty system.
    ZenerenGdemami

I agree with you that it incentivizes doing the highest difficulty while maintaining a fast time. It is, without a doubt, one of the easiest and most boring ARPG progression systems ever. That's why I don't like the difficulty system.

What ARPGs have great end game progression systems and what do they look like?
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,010
    edited September 2017
    Torval said:

What ARPGs have great end game progression systems and what do they look like?
    It's not really "end game", but just "game" in Diablo 3. Getting to 70 is a joke now and so the difficulty system/GRs is what the game is now.
    Gdemami
    edited September 2017
    Running GRifts are the endgame activity. You can run Rifts before that, but not GRifts. But the whole annoyance and repetition comes from end game.

Progression to 70 isn't a joke if you rebirth for seasonal and don't twink your gold and Paragon Points. Getting to 70 isn't any more of a joke than leveling in Grim Dawn or TL2 on easy mode.

And I still don't see an ARPG with a better system at end game or what would be a better system. I think ARPG end game is just a repetitious cycle but that's not unique to D3.
    blueturtle13