Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PUBG and Fortnite – The Drama Continues - General Columns

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,692
    I'd prefer to play Fornite anyways. So in my own little selfish world, I am happy. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited September 2017
    I don't play either game but heres an idea. How about PUBG make their game BETTER. Quite bixxhing and make your game BETTER than Fortnite. Are they scared their game is not better and they will lose out? That is called survival of the fittest. Man up on your game and shut up I say.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,412
    There is nothing pubg can do at all, battle royale has been around long before pubg was even a thing. They are just scared that fortnite will do better as it has more than just pointless run around shooting people. Mind you I find games lile pubg completly pointless and don't see what the draw to them is at all.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 992
    TheHavok said:

You are correct about PUBG's current popularity but I think that speaks more about the wildly successful battle royale game mode then it speaks about PUBG itself...which is a very poorly made game but is THAT much better then downloading ARMA mods or playing H1Z1 or DayZ to get your battle royale fix. PUBG does audio very well but the rest of the game runs like shit..which millions of people overlook because the battle royale game mode is so fun to play, especially with squads.
    Re-thinking I guess you're right. I haven't played PUBG yet so didn't realise it was poorly made. I guess at this point if your slight steep up in the BR genre and offer that little bit more you're going to draw the crowd. If Epics BR has crisper game play and very competitive gameplay, they could be a bigger competitor maybe.
  • taukuotataukuota Member UncommonPosts: 4
    As I understood it, the main problem here is that PUBG is using unreal engine to build BR game. Unreal engine is not suited for sich type of game therefore PUBG had to create custom modifications for unreal engine to make it work. And now they think that those custom modifocations from PUBG team were used to build Fortnite?
    bcbully
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I'm starting to really dislike the guys behind the game... regretting my PUBG purchase (only 3 hours logged) but at least Fortnite is getting free PR everywhere including Twitch from PUBGs own big-time players like DR DISRESPECT and many other well known players.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,731
    This makes me want to try Fortnite.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,829
    Great article Garrett. You certanly have a point there for bad or good.

On one side this should perhaps be implemented since the game industry right now is simply plagued by most blatant clones. From our dear MMORPGs to genres like DOTA, and not to mention mobile games where the situation is catastrophic

But than again, where is the line ? As you said , some game concepts like RPG stats could than be pronounced exclusive.

That being said Fortnite is certainly pushing it to far. I didnt play any of battle royale mods or games, but what i seen from PUBG videos and Fortnite videos - Its almost 1:1 carbon copy of every gameplay element.

Its a same game done in different engine

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    edited September 2017
    Aztok said:
    Sounds like all the want is for Epic games to play fair and not cripple Bluehole. when really its already to late. Epic games will cash in on the genre's success and eat bluehole alive. its just business.

They shouldve made contracts that wouldve prevented Epic games from doing this very thing.
    PUBG is huge, Epic isn't taking a big piece of their pie easily.

I am curious as to what makes PUBG better than H1Z1 king of the kill though.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 992
    BruceYee said:
    This makes me want to try Fortnite.
    This is what I was thinking, they've just given Epic free marketing at the same time making themselves look like dicks.

Now they have nearly every game outlet discussing and hyping a new BR game
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,504
    Like everyone pointed out this has made people sit up and want to try Fortnite. Free advertising when advertising is so expensive is worth its weight in gold ,very stupid of  them to give this much free press to a rival.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Stop calling Bluehole "indies" they are not

Have they played fortnite?

While it is same genre, nothing wrong there, it has a way different gameplay than pubg

I'm glad i don't play PUBG anymore, they don't deserve their success
    Scellow said:

While it is same genre, nothing wrong there, it has a way different gameplay than pubg

Thing is, Fortnite BR is literally shameless carbon copy of PUBG, its not even funny how much

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,955
    Scellow said:

Thing is, Fortnite BR is literally shameless carbon copy of PUBG, its not even funny how much

The thing is - this has been going on in the video game industry forever. One successful game design gets copied 1000x over.

This is how the video game industry operates.

pantaroConstantineMerus
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,903
    Look and feel can be protected, but general functionality or gameplay elements can't.

This article about the 2012 Tetris decision is helpul in understanding how one court viewed it.

www.b2ipreport.com/swip-report/copying-the-look-and-feel-of-tetris-is-software-copyright-infringement/

MadFrenchie

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I think that everyone is defending Fortnite but Epic made real blatant rippoff.
    Like they practically copied the game in their engine. Every single thing.

Its very dirty - where did gaming come to when people are simply copying other game to every single detail ?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,903
    edited September 2017

Its very dirty - where did gaming come to when people are simply copying other game to every single detail ?

Er....WOW clones galore, numerous L2 ripoffs, doom clones, mobas, etc, copying gameplay mechanics and even the UI have been standards in gaming for a very long time.

As I read through this thread (you did read the thread before posting, right?) there is mention of several differences, including setting, base building and more so while one may borrow very heavily from the other this is certainly not new at all in gaming.

ConstantineMerus

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited September 2017

I get the distaste, but as was hashed out here, this isn't something that's unique in the industry or unheard of.

Unless Epic is using their engine rights to the detriment of PUBG solely for the profit of their directly competing title, I don't see how PUBG wins any kind of legal challenge.  But hey, stranger things have happened.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,239
    edited September 2017
    Fortnite ain't gonna drop Battle Royale, it's going F2P in 2 days (the specific game mode) and highlights the main game, so it shows they have a strong development direction to iterate on PvP.

This gives is bad publicity is to Unreal Engine, that Epic would be willing to take upon their clients and create direct competitors to them with no refrain while charging them royalties.
    FrodoFragins
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,375
    Kyleran said:

Er....WOW clones galore, numerous L2 ripoffs, doom clones, mobas, etc, copying gameplay mechanics and even the UI have been standards in gaming for a very long time.

As I read through this thread (you did read the thread before posting, right?) there is mention of several differences, including setting, base building and more so while one may borrow very heavily from the other this is certainly not new at all in gaming.

I think the perception of it being a direct copy is really because the very beginning is a mirror of PUBG.  You start on an island with these people and can run around and grab weapons to try... then you find yourself in an aircraft (bus...) flying over the map... which you jump out of to skydive to your location... and eventually use a parachute/hang-glider to land.   Then the whole "Get in the circle" mechanic kicks in.

Up to that point it's really just a reskin of PUBG.     From that point on it has some differences.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    MaxBacon said:
    Fortnite ain't gonna drop Battle Royale, it's going F2P in 2 days (the specific game mode) and highlights the main game, so it shows they have a strong development direction to iterate on PvP.

This gives is bad publicity is to Unreal Engine, that Epic would be willing to take upon their clients and create direct competitors to them with no refrain while charging them royalties.
    Not sure I can agree.  PUBG could've created their own engine if they wished, or used another engine.  I don't feel like Epic has a responsibility to stay out of a genre just because someone used their engine for their own title.  Epic paid for the development of the engine in-house.  They have a right to use it as they see fit, barring any contractual agreements with other parties regarding its use.
    FrodoFragins

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,264
    hope they sue shit out fortnite. i dint buyed that game for pvp.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,870
    Isn't the Battle Royale mode free for Fortnite?
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 547

How Can they sue them? They don't own the idea for drop in and out 1st/3rd person battle royal, You'd think they would focus on fixing the game up a bit instead of dumb drama shit. Reminds me of when bethesda/zenimax tried to sue over the term Scrolls in a video game. Are you kidding?

There's a difference between telling someone they can't use a copy-written part of your name, and telling someone they can't be influenced by the ideas in your game. One has a lot more ground to stand on than the other. Not defending either, but they both have perspective.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,690
    The Federal government describes copyright and patents as "monopolies" because that is what they are. With the whole Tetris ordeal siding in favor of the originator, then it's safe to say that this should allow DOTA to do the same for every MOBA created since it's conception. Who knows, maybe Sony EverQuest should sue every MMORPG ever made. While we are at it, Minecraft should sue Trove and every other game similar to itself. This could go on and on and on, including the music industry, the auto industry, food industry. In my honest opinion, I hate copyright and patents because they are monopolies, but what I don't understand is, how are "some" able to sue for infringements and not others. Probably because the Supreme Court makes decisions based on minute details and every decision they make ends up opening a whole new can of worms for one party or another to exploit.