Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STEAM ( Valve ) going to war against Review Bombing.

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 5,763
So it seems STEAM ( Valve ) are trying to develop a means to prevent Review Bombing from being used for anything other than game reviews. Apparently people are posting negative reviews against certain games for reasons not even related to the game itself. The folks over at the youtube channel The Know provide a nice explanation of what's going on behind the scenes.

Comments

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 5,763
    Towards the end they point out that developers can take advantage of the review system by having employees with STEAM accounts simply write up bogus positive reviews. So in the end, it will come down to players actually reading through a portion of the reviews to see if they feel the current review score is accurate or pertains to whats important to them.

When I look at reviews, I completely ignore anything under 10 hours of gameplay, whether it's positive or negative. If possible, I look at reviews of around 20-50+ hours to base my take on what is good or bad about a game. Most reviews that are 10 hours or less with a negative review could simply mean the reviewer simply didn't LIKE the game, not that it is a bad game.

In regards to what happened with things like ARK and it's paid DLC expansion while in EA. Review bombing for that was unnecessary in my opinion. Regardless of ARK being in EA, Scorched Earth was for all it's intended purposes, an expansion. It was added content not meant to be included with the initial release.

On the other hand. I think the Review Bombing of No Man's Sky was quite accurate and needed, in order to let other developers know that lying to your fans is not a good idea.
    Maurgrim

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 996
    I don't think this solution helps what so ever.

With Steam Direct, where publishers can add their games directly into the shop, there are hundreds of new games added on a weekly basis. While the graphs look cool and are informative, it's not feasible for me to do an in-depth research of every game.

The issue is the fact that 200 RPG games have the same review score, some of which are decent with butthurt kids, others which are genuinely subpar. This system expects you to go through them one by one, analysing graphs to figure out if people generally think it's good.

It's OK in situations where you are looking forward to a specific game. Terrible in situations where you want to find a new game you would enjoy - which is what I mainly use the steam shop for.
    Torval
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,133
    The reviews wouldn't last long as they were.

Though there's unfair bombing and far bombing, companies just hate that when they do something that pisses of their community the community has one way to voice themselves in a way hardly can ignore.

Then there's the silly part of the steam community who just bombs reviews because they can't figure out controls or don't meet system reqs, lol
  • SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 29,280
  • rodarinrodarin Member RarePosts: 2,061
    edited September 2017
    Yeah they dont like seeing their darlings get blown into negativity. Happened to Ark and recently happened to a game whose names escapes me ATM. But Ark bomb was totally justified as they were selling an expansion into an EA game and coincidentally announced their second (paid) expansion the day before the game 'officially' released. Even though the 'release' version is no different than any other version or updated EA version.

The recent game added something that was sneaky as well I cant remember but it was all over these forums as well.

If they dont like the heat dont do stupid things. The thing is most of these games that do it rely on the people who are buying the EA to continue so its a great irony in some cases.

But more and more these indie guys are realizing the vast majority of people who are buying into their games will stomach the shady stuff and only the vocal minority doesnt like it. But the irony is the vocal minority are generally the first ones to buy in and initially fund them.

Either way Steam is steam and theyre going ot do wha they think makes them the most money and without much competition they can pretty much do what they want.

I also notice they have taken the ratings off the games in their store lists....

Oh I remember the game Fall out 4 adding in a pay for download mod set up (construction club)a forced download and a pay wall item.
    Post edited by rodarin on
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 18,877
    Going to war - yeah!

Lets see how are they doing it - by squashing bomb reviews? Banning those who do it? Deleting those reviews?

None of the above.

Their idea of going to "war" is - adding a bar chart 

heh
  • linadragonlinadragon Member UncommonPosts: 532
    rodarin said:
    Yeah they dont like seeing their darlings get blown into negativity. Happened to Ark and recently happened to a game whose names escapes me ATM. But Ark bomb was totally justified as they were selling an expansion into an EA game and coincidentally announced their second (paid) expansion the day before the game 'officially' released. Even though the 'release' version is no different than any other version or updated EA version.

The recent game added something that was sneaky as well I cant remember but it was all over these forums as well.

If they dont like the heat dont do stupid things. The thing is most of these games that do it rely on the people who are buying the EA to continue so its a great irony in some cases.

But more and more these indie guys are realizing the vast majority of people who are buying into their games will stomach the shady stuff and only the vocal minority doesnt like it. But the irony is the vocal minority are generally the first ones to buy in and initially fund them.

Either way Steam is steam and theyre going ot do wha they think makes them the most money and without much competition they can pretty much do what they want.

I also notice they have taken the ratings off the games in their store lists....

Oh I remember the game Fall out 4 adding in a pay for download mod set up (construction club)a forced download and a pay wall item.
    The thing is it isn't "fair" in the scheme of things. Bad mouth the company in places, but a review of a game should be a review/opinion of the game and not the companies politics or how they handle expansions/dlc. Ark is a good game and yes the expansion bullshit was bullshit, but that doesn't take away from ark itself being good still. 
  • GruntyGrunty Member RarePosts: 8,410
    edited September 2017
    DMKano said:
    Going to war - yeah!

Lets see how are they doing it - by squashing bomb reviews? Banning those who do it? Deleting those reviews?

None of the above.

heh
    Yup they are combating opinions with facts.  As a matter of fact, by the facts created by those same opinions.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    She was grimacing. "That does sound like what America's has been trying to do for the last century or two--get rich faster than the parasites could steal it."   The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 18,877
    Grunty said:
    DMKano said:
    Going to war - yeah!

None of the above.

heh
    Yup they are combating opinions with facts.  As a matter of fact, by the facts created by those same opinions.

They are.

Just calling this "war" is silly.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 30,064
    edited September 2017
    DMKano said:
    Grunty said:
    DMKano said:
    Going to war - yeah!

None of the above.

heh

They are.

Wait, someone used hyperbole in a forum title on MMORPG.com?

Weird.

What's next, overuse of sarcasm? 

;)
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    RhoklawMrMelGibson

Ten types of internet trolls - Which one are you?

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, back in EVE until then

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 5,763
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Grunty said:
    DMKano said:
    Going to war - yeah!

None of the above.

heh

They are.

Wait, someone used hyperbole in a forum title on MMORPG.com?

Weird.

What's next, overuse of sarcasm? 

;)
    I forgot, everything on this site must be 100% accurate and stated in a serious manner. :neutral:

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 2,688
    They are just adding more tools so users can make their choice well informed. "War against"... please.

Because there is user's right when speaking out because of malicious acts when dealing with patches, updates and so on (which is quite amusing: Gaming is in this special place which a product can be altered after you purchased it and without your consent) but there is also kids downvoting Firewatch and reviews for Firewatch because they said mean things about PewDiePie.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.” ― Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 2,756
    DMKano said:
    Going to war - yeah!

None of the above.

heh
    Well they don't want those review bombers not to buy more games lol.