Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie to Remove Gauntlet that Resembles Hate Group Symbol - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Also, for the record, it is news to me that the symbol even appeared in Charlottesville. To me, the entire Charlottesville debacle was a case of irrelevant, racist assholes being protested by other irrelevant, racist assholes who then got promptly run over by an even more irrelevant, racist asshole. 
    No, it wasn't "other racist assholes". Sorry (not sorry) to break the forum rules, but no. It was facist racists and people who stand against that. No one is a racist for standing against fascists. That doesn't make racism. White supremacy is racism by definition.

I joined the military, went to war, and risked my life so you can love this country, hate this country, fly flags and yeehaw, or burn them. But I did not do that to stand by and left fascists gain equal voice or standing and take over this country. We joined a world war to fight fascism. No, no, and NO or we won't remain a country.

It's a symbol. An artist can make a new one. Nothing of value is lost.
    You forgot one thing in your post, but I'll add it for you:

*drops mic and walks away*
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    [Deleted User]

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

klash2def said:

Rhoklaw said:

So, you don't see the irony in your statement? People burning a flag of the country that gives them the right to burn a flag? That is by definition... true irony. If you are protesting a government, you do so by voting. You don't burn 200 years of history because your unhappy now. That is called irrational behavior.

Being American is Ironic in general. I don't need to give a history lesson..

Burning a Flag is not comparable to a racist pep rally that promotes Hate against other people

So when the Alt-left terrorist hate group antifaci and BLM holds signs that says kill white people is that racist? When they holds sign saying all white people are racist doesn't that make them racist and bigots? When the Alt left terrorists groups like antifaci and BLM throw urine and feces, fire spray, hit them with boards with nails is that a hate group? Now I'm not talking about them attacking white supremist I'm talking when they attack the supporter of The President of The United States does that make the Alt left racist, hateful bigots?

I get it you think the Alt left terrorists hate groups LIKE BLM and Antifaci are perfectly fine and only white people can be racist. Sorry contrary to what you were indoctrinated in whatever school you attended thsts not the case. You clearly do need a history lesson.
    First off, stop putting words in my mouth.
    Secondly BLM isnt a hate group. KKK, White Nationalist, Neo-Nazi (Whatever the fuck you call em) are hate groups.

BLM is a group of people (Mostly black but all races) who subscribe to the idea that Police Reform needs to happen and happen ASAP. They started the movement because Police Officers were killing innocent black people, from 11 year old children to women pulled over for a bad tail light. BLM was them saying "Hey our lives matter to us, dont kill us please!" 

KKK is "Nobody matters but US, this is our country" 

Do you see the difference now? Stop your bullshit..
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Rockard said:

White lives matter is racist,as is black lives matter,as in both those phrases the separative quality between people is their skin colour.
    Human lives matter,is not racist.
    The racist behaviour of others is not an excuse for one to behave like a racist.
    Now I'm not an expert on matters of sociology,but the way I see it and as far as the American case is concerned,racism is a far deeper problem than what many seem to understand,because it, ironically,transcends race and seems to be a quality found throughout the various ethnic groups in the US.

Another bs narrative.. this is amazing. You do realize that somebody saying "Black Lives Matters" does not mean OTHER LIVES dont matter.. Its saying "Black Lives Matter, stop killing us." That's what its saying. Its not racist to say Black Lives Matter. Please tell me what is racist about that..

If your home was on fire.. would you like the firemen to check on ALL THE HOMES before they got to yours? I mean All HOMES MATTER right? So in your time of need, would you be wrong for saying "HEY MY HOME MATTERS HELP ME! I'M GOING TO DIE!" No you would not.

That does not mean you don't care about the other homes, but your home is the home on fire. Its urgent. 

"White Lives Matter" is racist because its literally trying to take power out of the BLM movement by using its own term against them. White people are not being killed at a alarming rate in this country..they are not dealing with a major injustice because of their skin color...they aren't dealing with anything the average American isnt.

The people who shout "White Lives Matter" are panicking because of the Dispossession of White people in general. They feel like they are losing something that used to be theirs. The Country. 

BLM is nothing close to saying White Lives Matter, stop trying to make them the same. One is a cry from a race of people because of current injustices done to them, the other is not.

White Lives Matter is hate. Those racist at those rallies (BTW the Virginia one wasnt the first) are saying "WLM, YOU WILL NOT REPLACE US"  that sounds like the fear of being dispossessed to me.

Again, if your home was on fire, how would you feel if the fire dept said hey ALL HOMES MATTER we gotta check the other homes first. Meanwhile your house is the only one engulfed in flames. 

BLM is a hate group and propaganda machine. Look up for yourself where they get their financial backing. 

Hint.... theyre white elitists.

Stop believing everything you read on the internet.. You actually believe that bullshit because you WANT to believe it. Speaks volumes about you.

.. another attempt at trying to dismantle a movement started because of injustice. 

So is it just not possible at all that maybe we African Americans have some money in our pocket and just maybe funded BLM movement? Or no.. there is no way there are rich black people right? The money HAD to come from white elitist.. SMH..

See this is the reason why BLM is important. Not just to my people, but to the Nation. Oh what? You thought only Black people subscribe to BLM?

You want to believe BLM has something to do with White Nationalist so bad.. why? 
    Any group that chants about cops being pigs is pure ignorance.  
    Or "Pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon"... yeah.. real nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Yqv8mnywU

Or What do we Want?  Dead Cops.. when do we want it?  NOW?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dr_IhQu-I

ANY group.... ANY GROUP!!!  That wants to separate us by our race, color, creed or anything else is simply WRONG.  

[Deleted User]WalkinGlennGreyhavenXxxusernametakenxxxAlomar

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    goobsnews said:
    It's fun to watch all these wannabe alt-right 4chan troll knobbers try to normalize KKK/Nazis, and their symbols and stuff only to say "ITS TROLLING BRO!" from the comfort of their PC gaming chairs, behind their firewalls and VPNs.  They always seem so emboldened, but they aren't. Just passive aggressive weenies who stand for something just enough that they can hop back on the fence when a fight is about to happen.

Trolling, hate baiting or whatever the fuck you clowns call it doesn't make you centrist or outside a conflict. It means you're a coward who uses "just kidding" to escape the consequences of your true stance. Talk about entitlement, must be fun to be able to "play" like that.
    We get it, you're a tough guy.

Also lol at the irony of you doing what you claim others are. Liberal logic at it's finest.
    How is it liberal logic? Don't involve me in your sheltered ass blue/red fight. Where am I throwing rocks and then hiding my hands or saying "I'M JUST TROLLING PEOPLE LIKE YOU" to avoid the heat?

And since when is being an adult man about the words used in regard to racially inflammatory issues being a tough guy?  I understand from a cowards position it might seem as if I'm trying to be "tough" but it's normal.

People live, die or get hurt behind racial/social hate or trolling. Think about that next time you want to do your passive aggressive murica/libertard thing because 9/10 you're docile AF in your day to day.
    klash2def
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Greyhaven said:
    klash2def said:
    Rockard said:
    klash2def said:
    Rockard said:

White lives matter is racist,as is black lives matter,as in both those phrases the separative quality between people is their skin colour.
    The racist behaviour of others is not an excuse for one to behave like a racist.
    Now I'm not an expert on matters of sociology,but the way I see it and as far as the American case is concerned,racism is a far deeper problem than what many seem to understand,because it, ironically,transcends race and seems to be a quality found throughout the various ethnic groups in the US.
    Another bs narrative.. this is amazing. You do realize that somebody saying "Black Lives Matters" does not mean OTHER LIVES dont matter.. Its saying "Black Lives Matter, stop killing us." That's what its saying. Its not racist to say Black Lives Matter. Please tell me what is racist about that..

If your home was on fire.. would you like the firemen to check on ALL THE HOMES before they got to yours? I mean All HOMES MATTER right? So in your time of need, would you be wrong for saying "HEY MY HOME MATTERS HELP ME! I'M GOING TO DIE!" No you would not.

That does not mean you don't care about the other homes, but your home is the home on fire. Its urgent. 

"White Lives Matter" is racist because its literally trying to take power out of the BLM movement by using its own term against them. White people are not being killed at a alarming rate in this country..they are not dealing with a major injustice because of their skin color...they aren't dealing with anything the average American isnt.

The people who shout "White Lives Matter" are panicking because of the Dispossession of White people in general. They feel like they are losing something that used to be theirs. The Country. 

BLM is nothing close to saying White Lives Matter, stop trying to make them the same. One is a cry from a race of people because of current injustices done to them, the other is not.

White Lives Matter is hate. Those racist at those rallies (BTW the Virginia one wasnt the first) are saying "WLM, YOU WILL NOT REPLACE US"  that sounds like the fear of being dispossessed to me.

Again, if your home was on fire, how would you feel if the fire dept said hey ALL HOMES MATTER we gotta check the other homes first. Meanwhile your house is the only one engulfed in flames. 

The facts do not support the BLM rhetoric.
    There are no laws in the US that discriminate citizens according to their ethnicity,and inter African American community violence claims  more lives of blacks in the US,than the obviously badly trained,inadequate,and extremely violent police forces you have there.
    I see the BLM movement as a platform for black supremacists and racists,that feeds on the social injustices that do exist,but have nothing to do with one's colour.

There is so much wrong with your post.. please dont speak on a subject you dont fully understand. Thanks. 
    klash2def said:
    Rockard said:
    klash2def said:
    Rockard said:

The facts do not support the BLM rhetoric.
    There are no laws in the US that discriminate citizens according to their ethnicity,and inter African American community violence claims  more lives of blacks in the US,than the obviously badly trained,inadequate,and extremely violent police forces you have there.
    I see the BLM movement as a platform for black supremacists and racists,that feeds on the social injustices that do exist,but have nothing to do with one's colour.

There is so much wrong with your post.. please dont speak on a subject you dont fully understand. Thanks. 
    Ummm It's okay to disagree with someone it's not okay to to say they can't speak.

last time I checked he was following the forum rules...maybe you should leave modding to mods?
    You think I'm talking about some forum rules? 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2017
    @klash2def Enough. Let's stick to the topic please. 
    @Slapshot1188 Also enough. 

Check my earlier post about trying to keep politics out of this and deal more with how Bungie could have done things differently. If you guys can't, I'll close the thread. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Rockard said:

BLM is a hate group and propaganda machine. Look up for yourself where they get their financial backing. 

Hint.... theyre white elitists.

Stop believing everything you read on the internet.. You actually believe that bullshit because you WANT to believe it. Speaks volumes about you.

.. another attempt at trying to dismantle a movement started because of injustice. 

So is it just not possible at all that maybe we African Americans have some money in our pocket and just maybe funded BLM movement? Or no.. there is no way there are rich black people right? The money HAD to come from white elitist.. SMH..

See this is the reason why BLM is important. Not just to my people, but to the Nation. Oh what? You thought only Black people subscribe to BLM?

You want to believe BLM has something to do with White Nationalist so bad.. why? 
    Any group that chants about cops being pigs is pure ignorance.  
    Or "Pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon"... yeah.. real nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Yqv8mnywU

Or What do we Want?  Dead Cops.. when do we want it?  NOW?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dr_IhQu-I

ANY group.... ANY GROUP!!!  That wants to separate us by our race, color, creed or anything else is simply WRONG.  

I agree. Thats not what BLM is though. Thats something else. Thanks. Just want to point that out.
    [Deleted User]

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2017
    SBFord said:
    OK folks --  while the general topic here revolves around a polarizing issue that is at least partially based on a particular political agenda, how about if we take the heat down a little bit to bring the discussion back around to the game itself and perhaps whether or not companies should be held accountable for the probable misinterpretation of a particular item in game.

• What, if anything, should Bungie have done?
    • What are the repercussions of them removing the item?
    • What would be the repercussions of them not removing the item?
    • How should they answer those making the claim that the gauntlets are representative of something polarizing and vice versa?
    • How should gaming companies deal with issues like this?
    By keeping the discussion aimed more at questions like these, we can reduce the rhetoric on both sides and keep within the realm of the overall forum rules that frown on politics.

So, to keep the thread open, dial it back please. @MikeB
    Please stick to questions such as these WITHOUT the political rhetoric on BOTH sides. Last warning.
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    OK folks --  while the general topic here revolves around a polarizing issue that is at least partially based on a particular political agenda, how about if we take the heat down a little bit to bring the discussion back around to the game itself and perhaps whether or not companies should be held accountable for the probable misinterpretation of a particular item in game.

• What, if anything, should Bungie have done?
    • What are the repercussions of them removing the item?
    • What would be the repercussions of them not removing the item?
    • How should they answer those making the claim that the gauntlets are representative of something polarizing and vice versa?
    • How should gaming companies deal with issues like this?
    By keeping the discussion aimed more at questions like these, we can reduce the rhetoric on both sides and keep within the realm of the overall forum rules that frown on politics.

So, to keep the thread open, dial it back please. @MikeB
    Please stick to questions such as these WITHOUT the political rhetoric on BOTH sides. Last warning.
    What, if anything, should Bungie have done?
    NOTHING.  It's a made up issue
    What are the repercussions of them removing the item?
    LITTLE, other than yet another victory for the fearmongers
    What would be the repercussions of them not removing the item?
    NOTHING, nobody in their right mind would have thought it was hate related... it's a damn game
    How should they answer those making the claim that the gauntlets are representative of something polarizing and vice
    They should ignore them
    How should gaming companies deal with issues like
    Like grownups.  Make a game, and ignore silliness.  Unless Bungie thinks they secretly have hatemongers on their staff trying to sneak hidden messages into their game... but if that's the case then they have a much bigger problem than a silly gauntlet       

[Deleted User]GreyhavenInfeareal

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I could care less about the gauntlets personally.. they don't offend me, But I see how they can be offensive. I'm not insensitive. Bungie did the right thing by removing them and releasing a statement about why. Its just perplexing to me how people cant see how it could be offensive to someone else. Everyone is different. Also we have NO IDEA whats going on in the office, maybe somebody came fwd and said that's what they did exactly? Who knows whats going on internally.. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]gervaise1

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Bungie has 2 options,  Go by their personal beliefs or whatever will make them the most money.  Bungie thought they choose option no 2.  Only time will tell if they choose correctly.  This controversy is the same as most, truth vs ignorance.  And ignorance is hard to beat, so most companies play it safe.
    SBFordGorwe
    SBFord said:

Check my earlier post about trying to keep politics out of this and deal more with how Bungie could have done things differently. If you guys can't, I'll close the thread. 

sure thing, I don't enjoy talking to brick walls anyway
    Wraithone

klash2def said:
     Its just perplexing to me how people cant see how it could be offensive to someone else. Everyone is different.  
    Because Klash... we live in a world where EVERYTHING can be offensive to someone.  Follow that road to it's inevitable conclusion and it's a drive off a cliff.

[Deleted User]klash2def

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited September 2017
    Honestly, I couldn't care less about the gauntlets, at the end of the day. They're tacky and break immersion.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited September 2017

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

That isn't a hate symbol. It was intended as a hilarious reaction to the absurdity of Hillary Clinton's website manager declaring Pepe the Frog to be a hate symbol.

So the fact that it's been adopted by white supremacist neo-Nazi groups is irrelevant? Wow.

This where we need to start growing spines again, just as we should not give in to terrorism so we must not give in to hate and IMO this inculdes giving hate groups power or significance over symbols like this.

It's quite sad that "we allow" hate groups to steal or assimilate symbols like the swasticka or this one and then forget what it originally meant.

To me this is simply giving these groups more power.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ShammeredShammered Member UncommonPosts: 4
    klash2def said:
    I could care less about the gauntlets personally.. they don't offend me, But I see how they can be offensive. I'm not insensitive. Its just perplexing to me how people cant see how it could be offensive to someone else. Everyone is different. 
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Why have parents stopped teaching this invaluable piece of advice to their kids? With that said I don't even know what this thing is they're talking about but I'll check and imagine it's gonna be even more pathetic than I thought.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    edited September 2017
    I love the comments akin to " Just ignore them, by not your empowering them". HA ... ha .. ugh.

* Edit - “It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”
    Aeander
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'm ok with that gauntlet if some of my ideas can make it in as well.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ShammeredShammered Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Shammered said:
    klash2def said:
    I could care less about the gauntlets personally.. they don't offend me, But I see how they can be offensive. I'm not insensitive. Its just perplexing to me how people cant see how it could be offensive to someone else. Everyone is different. 
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Why have parents stopped teaching this invaluable piece of advice to their kids? With that said I don't even know what this thing is they're talking about but I'll check and imagine it's gonna be even more pathetic than I thought.
    Yup, retarded as expected, so what is the issue here that it resembles or is that KEK meme thing? The fairly amusing memes that often poke fun of liberalism gone too far. Which has nothing to do with Nazi'ism that I know people like to claim it does, even though they don't understand shit.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Things that you can do in Warframe, but cannot do in Destiny 2 for 500 Alex.

Yfw SBFord is one of those loud minorities.

Next up, digital blackface and why it matters. Brought to you by self important virtue signal fires.
    Infeareal
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    klash2def said:
    SBFord said:

I hope you do not consider me to be one of those brick walls. I get that we may disagree on some level, but I think I attempted to handle my points with respect. I intended to continue on as such, but a warning is a warning. 

Ultimately, it's irrelevant though. Nothing actually comes of it. Social conditions don't change overnight, political views only change voluntarily, and no amount of pretentious intellectual pontificating on my part is going to change the fact that our society is still tragically shaped by a 2,000 year old book of outdated, twisted pseudo-morals written by savages from a time before science.
    klash2def
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    So, this guy has free speech because I agree with him, and that other dude over there has free speech because I agree with him, but because that guy on the other side of the road doesn't agree with us he has to STFU and go home. I deplore the KKK and white supremacists, but you can't deny them their rights because you don't agree. The Constitution either works for all Americans or none.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    forcelimaGorwe

• GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Aeander said:
    klash2def said:
    SBFord said:

I hope you do not consider me to be one of those brick walls. I get that we may disagree on some level, but I think I attempted to handle my points with respect. I intended to continue on as such, but a warning is a warning. 

Ultimately, it's irrelevant though. Nothing actually comes of it. Social conditions don't change overnight, political views only change voluntarily, and no amount of pretentious intellectual pontificating on my part is going to change the fact that our society is still tragically shaped by a 2,000 year old book of outdated, twisted pseudo-morals written by savages from a time before science.
    "Moses was a savage"

Okay that's the opening line of my next blues song.
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

sayuu said:

Stizzled said:

I wonder what most of you immediately relate this symbol to? It doesn't matter where a symbol came from, it matters what people use it to represent.

I don't care if they remove the symbol from the game. But, people on here trying to claim that the symbol can't have a hateful meaning to it because it originated as a meme are being purposefully obtuse.

Hinduism. . .a symbol for Kali. that was my initial reaction but then I realized the swastika  was clockwise so it  is depicting the sun deity not Kali my mistake.

as far as bungie is concerned: they are within their rights to remove or keep whatever art they want. . .just as I am within my rights not to play their games if I don't want to. . .

it would be another matter entirely if the Government forced them to remove it, but that isn't the case so no Constitutional rights were infringed.

People these days do not understand history nor do they want to find out about things on their own or think without being told what to think. A little history for those people "Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck." Now they only view it as hate because of them.
    GreyhavenAsm0deusTsiya
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited September 2017
    Aori said:
    SBFord said:

Aeander said:

That isn't a hate symbol. It was intended as a hilarious reaction to the absurdity of Hillary Clinton's website manager declaring Pepe the Frog to be a hate symbol.

So the fact that it's been adopted by white supremacist neo-Nazi groups is irrelevant? Wow.
    What if they adopt the rainbow or unicorns? It is absurd, can we go back to ignoring these groups so they're irrelevant again. We demonize each other over stupidity of another.
    Kind of like how Hitler and the nazis stole and corrupted the swastika. It had nothing to do with hate or hate groups til they adopted it and now it is a stigmatized.
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.